Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → If your wife/fiance/girlfriend destroyed your prized collection...
If your wife/fiance/girlfriend destroyed your prized collection...
2008-07-09, 6:47 PM #41
The dude has a pretty decent sized place. Also, why must men buy rings to "buy" women? What does the woman buy for the man?
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2008-07-09, 6:51 PM #42
Well it's tradition IIRC. And they get the guy a ring for the marriage.

But if you're smart you just avoid the whole marriage thing anyways. Legal implications aside, it's a silly thing.
2008-07-10, 11:04 AM #43
^ I'm so jaded I will never have a lover other than my right hand.
2008-07-10, 1:02 PM #44
Originally posted by Lord_Grismath:
The dude has a pretty decent sized place. Also, why must men buy rings to "buy" women? What does the woman buy for the man?

Cookware.
2008-07-10, 1:11 PM #45
Originally posted by Squirrel King:
Well it's tradition IIRC

No, it isn't. DeBeers invented the 'tradition' in the 1940s through a cold-blooded plot that touched on every cliche villainy from viral marketing to child slavery. Prior to that the exchange of jewel-encrusted rings was uncommon and always rubies, sapphires and emeralds which - unlike diamonds that have an outrageously inflated price - actually are rare. On top of watching all of the big names of the day propose with a diamond, DeBeers also set it up so that diamonds would be symbols of love itself, and that "diamonds are forever" in an effort to eliminate the secondary market. And they got away with all of it too, because women like jewelry and men like to "keep up with the joneses" just enough for people to believe it's not completely phony.

Smirnoff did essentially the same thing to introduce Vodka to the western market. Except vodka has a merit, and a diamond is just a slightly more concentrated chunk of the material you are composed of. And Hallmark? Love may need a holiday but I think they could have done better than to celebrate a massacre with red disembodied hearts. This is the real reason why consumerism is evil: because everything becomes a parody.
2008-07-10, 1:23 PM #46
Originally posted by Jon`C:
hate

2008-07-10, 1:32 PM #47
This video is 1000% fake. Stop arguing about it.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2008-07-10, 5:41 PM #48
I saw that and i wanted to cry. That biker scout was worth some decent money. Selling it to a good collector wouldve bout a ring. But damn! See i have a small collection of toys (myy main collection is YuGiOh). I mean hell i have a 1970's white TIE fighter i got from my uncle. My one ex got pissed and tossed it against a wall. That guy didnt deserve the Biker Scout Smash. But still, he shouldve even had a cheap ring for her i do agree. I think the guy was fully Imperial at heart. I mean did you see the Stormies? He had more Stormtroopers then the Endor Garrison.
THE GUNDAM PROJECT
2008-07-10, 5:48 PM #49
people still have geocities pages?
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2008-07-10, 6:15 PM #50
angelfire > geocities

unless you accidentally type angle, in which case something about homosexuality came up.
2008-07-10, 7:05 PM #51
Everytime this guy posts someone says 'wtf geocities?'
2008-07-10, 8:20 PM #52
No, it isn't. DeBeers invented the 'tradition' in the 1940s through a cold-blooded plot that touched on every cliche villainy from viral marketing to child slavery. Prior to that the exchange of jewel-encrusted rings was uncommon and always rubies, sapphires and emeralds which - unlike diamonds that have an outrageously inflated price - actually are rare. On top of watching all of the big names of the day propose with a diamond, DeBeers also set it up so that diamonds would be symbols of love itself, and that "diamonds are forever" in an effort to eliminate the secondary market. And they got away with all of it too, because women like jewelry and men like to "keep up with the joneses" just enough for people to believe it's not completely phony.

Smirnoff did essentially the same thing to introduce Vodka to the western market. Except vodka has a merit, and a diamond is just a slightly more concentrated chunk of the material you are composed of. And Hallmark? Love may need a holiday but I think they could have done better than to celebrate a massacre with red disembodied hearts. This is the real reason why consumerism is evil: because everything becomes a parody.

Oh wow.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2008-07-11, 8:59 AM #53
if a ring was really that important that yappy **** would have brought it up before
:master::master::master:
2008-07-13, 3:29 AM #54
This is the real reason why consumerism is evil: because everything becomes a parody.

wisdom
2008-07-13, 4:30 AM #55
I'm so glad you brought this up. Every time Tom Shane comes on the radio I have to change the channel.

Also, I can kill you with my brain.

↑ Up to the top!