Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → iPhone 3G camping
iPhone 3G camping
2008-07-11, 12:19 AM #1
so I'm out in front of the at&t store, 10th in lone, been here for 2 hours, another 5 hours 40 min to go!

Anyone else dumb enough to do this?
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-07-11, 12:49 AM #2
don't have the money to throw at an iphone

i hate seeing 16-17 year olds that have one
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2008-07-11, 3:11 AM #3
It's just a phone. :/

Apart from the horror of touch screens I don't know what it can do that my phone can't.
nope.
2008-07-11, 3:16 AM #4
Originally posted by NoESC:
Anyone else dumb enough to do this?
simply, nope.
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2008-07-11, 5:03 AM #5
Nah, I need to wait for my contract with Orange to run out circa christmas time.
2008-07-11, 6:12 AM #6
Originally posted by genk:

This.
2008-07-11, 7:35 AM #7
Originally posted by genk:

Yeah, I don't mind paying $200 for a good phone, but the plans are what killed me. Even with the newly announced $30 for 6 GB of data plan here, it's still $30 voice plan, $30 data, $15 "essentials" (voicemail, call display, text messaging plan), $7.45 911/system access, 13% PST/GST = ~$93 per month.

Yeah, I'm living paycheck to paycheck to put gas in my car.
2008-07-11, 8:00 AM #8
Meh... iPhone, iPod, iCrap... most of the morons that buy that stuff only want it because its some stupid new tech trend and don't even know what to do with it. I hate Apple.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2008-07-11, 8:09 AM #9
People with an instant "I hate Apple" attitude crack me up because they're just as bad as the people who love Apple unconditionally.
2008-07-11, 8:16 AM #10
Camping? No.
I will be getting one in not too long, however. I need to look at the plan I have and see how to work it all together.

AoEjedi, I'm not a huge fan of Apple either, but the iPhone is really nice. The thing that put me over the edge to buy one was push Exchange support, which up until now, was Windows Mobile exclusive. Plus, when I jailbreak it, I won't have to deal with the limitations set by Apple. Win Win Win.
Naked Feet are Happy Feet
:omgkroko:
2008-07-11, 8:28 AM #11
I don't think I'm ever going to waste 8 hours waiting in a public line for any piece of overpriced electronics. I don't think any product so far in my life would require me to devote so many consecutive hours standing around like a fool. It has to be the greatest thing since sliced Jesus in a can for me to do something like this.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-07-11, 8:34 AM #12
AT&T is f*cking gouging people with the new contacts, and there's really nothing about the new phone that makes me want to spend $700 over the life of the phone for.

iPhone 1.0 still gets the 2.0 firmware and still works with the app store, that's all I need.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2008-07-11, 8:35 AM #13
meh, i had friends with me, it was fun!

but... apple's activation servers are down, so i can't use it yet. ;_;
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-07-11, 8:40 AM #14
$100 Palm Centro with $30/mo Sprint SERO plan FTW.
woot!
2008-07-11, 9:06 AM #15
got it working, the gps is sex
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-07-11, 9:07 AM #16
Oh rly?
2008-07-11, 9:09 AM #17
Ouch.
2008-07-11, 9:33 AM #18
I still don't get why anyone would pay that kind of money for a phone, when other devices have similar technology for much cheaper.
2008-07-11, 9:40 AM #19
an 8gb mp3 playing h.264 video playing gps enabled multitouch 3g phone for less than $199?

where?
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-07-11, 10:32 AM #20
an 8gb mp3 playing h.264 video playing gps enabled multitouch 3g phone for less than $199?

where?

Seriously, I want one. If this actually exists for less than $200 I'll buy one in a heartbeat.
2008-07-11, 10:47 AM #21
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
I still don't get why anyone would pay that kind of money for a phone, when other devices have similar technology for much cheaper.

I still don't get how people have not grasped this simple fact yet:

It is not about the technical specifications.

Good product design is about putting in the minimum possible functionality required to achieve the aims of the product, it's not about having the biggest list of features.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2008-07-11, 10:57 AM #22
For some people, yes, for some, no. There's no one blanket design philosophy that appeals to all people.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2008-07-11, 11:07 AM #23
Quote:
People with an instant "I hate Apple" attitude crack me up because they're just as bad as the people who love Apple unconditionally.

+1

I would get one, and they're cheaper now too. But I can't stand Cingulars craptastic service in my area. So I settled with an LG Voyager. Which by no means is an iphone competitor or replacement.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2008-07-11, 11:08 AM #24
I only hate apple because most of what they sell is overpriced for what it is, and almost everyone I met who buys iPods or iPhones or MBPs are smug a**holes.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2008-07-11, 12:43 PM #25
Meh. I paid for quality and functionality when I bought my laptop.

Most Apple hate has moved from "omg no 2 button mice" to "god they're all *******S."

PS i want that iphone noesc. give it to me!
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2008-07-11, 1:03 PM #26
I'm excited for it. I wonder when the iPhone 2.0 firmware will be cracked.
I'm pretty much forced to have a jailbroken iPhone because I use Linux, so I'd like to wait.
2008-07-11, 1:15 PM #27

where?

A. It doesn't cost $199. It costs $199 with a service plan contract. Without the contract it's close to $350-400, and that's for the first gen.
B. Nokia N95 meets all requirements except touch (because let's be honest, touch is pointless when you're trying to hit buttons half the size of your finger).

Originally posted by Detty:
I still don't get how people have not grasped this simple fact yet:

It is not about the technical specifications.

Good product design is about putting in the minimum possible functionality required to achieve the aims of the product, it's not about having the biggest list of features.

C. No, it's about technical specifications, price, contracts, and design. I have yet to find the iPhone significantly outpacing any other phone in all areas.

It's nerfed on what I call "basic" features that even cheapo phones have now. It's expensive. It requires a contract.

Random almost completely unrelated rant: Does anyone actually USE cover flow? I mean, seriously. When you've got 500+ albums to run through, I certainly don't remember which is which based on the friggin artwork. Especially since many of my albums have generic/non-existant artwork in the first place. I equate it to Vista's Flip 3D. Nice and pretty the first 3 times you use it, then you never use it again.
2008-07-11, 1:20 PM #28
Originally posted by Vegiemaster:
I'm excited for it. I wonder when the iPhone 2.0 firmware will be cracked.
I'm pretty much forced to have a jailbroken iPhone because I use Linux, so I'd like to wait.

Already done, AFAIK. Not sure if there has been a release yet, but there was news that it had been done last night.
2008-07-11, 1:35 PM #29
Yeah, I just heard about it from some coworkers.
2008-07-11, 1:36 PM #30
iPhone will be available on PAYG in a few months.

I use coverflow on my mac, I'm not sure i'd use it on an iPhone though. For me the iPhone is mostly about the UI and app potential more than music and video.

I am fed up with phones that have severe usability flaws, my current phone has the resend button on the outbox in the same place it has the delete button on the inbox - I've been caught out by that one numerous times and always had to frantically send follow up messages to tell people to ignore the previous message.

I'm not saying apple gets UI right everytime (they don't), but given the pretty awful attempts at imitating the iPhone in the last year it's clear they're light years ahead of the competition at least for now.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2008-07-11, 6:15 PM #31
I love coverflow.
2008-07-11, 6:32 PM #32
I just want my phone to be a phone. Seriously. I have a ~2 yr old RAZR that's had the back battery cover panel missing for I don't even remember how long and all I do on it is make calls and occasionally text. It's small, I don't care if it looks crappy because I scratched it all over over the years, and so far I'm pretty impressed with its dependability. It has 3G capability, apparently, too.

If I wanted a portable multimedia center I'd use an iPod Touch. (Which I do)
一个大西瓜
2008-07-11, 7:50 PM #33
I want it all in one device. (Which I plan on)
2008-07-11, 7:50 PM #34
Don't have a car, spending the money on an iPhone instead.
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
2008-07-11, 8:31 PM #35
Touchscreens and multi-touch are great for some applications, but sometimes the feel of a button is necessary for functional design in my opinion. Phones are one of those applications where a touchscreen just slows me down.
2008-07-11, 10:12 PM #36
I got a phone for 50$ with a standard contract that I can put a 30$ 8GB micro SD card in. Its interface is perfectly usable.
2008-07-11, 10:50 PM #37
can i have someone's old one for an mp3 player

>.>
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2008-07-11, 11:02 PM #38
iPhone Pandora is the best thing ever.
--Garrison Keillor
2008-07-11, 11:18 PM #39
You couldn't pay me enough to carry a phone.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2008-07-11, 11:21 PM #40
Originally posted by Pommy:
I just want my phone to be a phone. Seriously. I have a ~2 yr old RAZR that's had the back battery cover panel missing for I don't even remember how long and all I do on it is make calls and occasionally text. It's small, I don't care if it looks crappy because I scratched it all over over the years, and so far I'm pretty impressed with its dependability. It has 3G capability, apparently, too.

If I wanted a portable multimedia center I'd use an iPod Touch. (Which I do)

I still haven't decided on what phone I am going to get. I am leaning toward the Samsung Instinct. I know it has significant drawbacks compared to the iPhone 3G, but it's $50 cheaper and has way cheaper rate plans (around $50 a month vs $100). Depending on what I decide on, I could see myself getting an iPod Touch, it's definitely a viable alternative. Time will tell, I suppose.

↑ Up to the top!