Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → iPhone 3G camping
iPhone 3G camping
2008-07-12, 12:46 AM #41
Quote:
Touchscreens and multi-touch are great for some applications, but sometimes the feel of a button is necessary for functional design in my opinion. Phones are one of those applications where a touchscreen just slows me down.

LG Voyager is your phone then. Its got the best of both worlds.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2008-07-12, 9:29 AM #42
Originally posted by fishstickz:
iPhone Pandora is the best thing ever.

omfg yes
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-07-12, 9:31 AM #43
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
A. It doesn't cost $199. It costs $199 with a service plan contract.

I don't get why people hate the contracts. I plan on having a phone still in 2 years, I don't see why I'd change who I'm with, and I can change my plan to suit my needs anytime in the 2 years.

:shrug:
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-07-12, 9:33 AM #44
I sold my iPhone last month before it depreciated in value with the release of the newer gen. and also because I'm studying abroad for the next year and didn't want to worry about bricking it. Needless to say I'm glad I'm not getting this gen. no GoPhone option is ****ing stupid - I hate being tied into a contract.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2008-07-12, 9:50 AM #45
Originally posted by genk:
don't have the money to throw at an iphone

i hate seeing 16-17 year olds that have one

You can get them free with plan nowadays.

The plan still costs you like 2k over 2 years though, which is a bit pricey, but not ridiculous if you're used to american cell companies.
D E A T H
2008-07-12, 9:52 AM #46
Originally posted by Aglar:
I still haven't decided on what phone I am going to get. I am leaning toward the Samsung Instinct. I know it has significant drawbacks compared to the iPhone 3G, but it's $50 cheaper and has way cheaper rate plans (around $50 a month vs $100). Depending on what I decide on, I could see myself getting an iPod Touch, it's definitely a viable alternative. Time will tell, I suppose.

Nokia n95 <_<
D E A T H
2008-07-12, 10:04 AM #47
Originally posted by NoESC:
I don't get why people hate the contracts. I plan on having a phone still in 2 years, I don't see why I'd change who I'm with, and I can change my plan to suit my needs anytime in the 2 years.

:shrug:

Because there are some of us that don't want to use a terrible carrier just for a phone? T-Mobile has far superior service over here where I live.
2008-07-12, 10:07 AM #48
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Nokia n95 <_<

Unfortunately the N95 is only available on Rogers here (same carrier that got the iPhone), and I refuse to give them any more money. Also, it qualifies as a smartphone and thus requires an expensive data plan compared to the cheap $7-10 on-device plans for dumb phones.
2008-07-12, 10:16 AM #49
Because there are some of us that don't want to use a terrible carrier just for a phone? T-Mobile has far superior service over here where I live.

ah, it's the opposite here, tmob is **** and AT&T works pretty much anywhere. My gf has tmob and hates it.
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-07-12, 11:53 AM #50
That's why phones should be sold unlocked. If Nokia N95 gets a QWERTY, I'm there.
2008-07-12, 1:02 PM #51
Originally posted by Aglar:
Unfortunately the N95 is only available on Rogers here (same carrier that got the iPhone), and I refuse to give them any more money. Also, it qualifies as a smartphone and thus requires an expensive data plan compared to the cheap $7-10 on-device plans for dumb phones.

The iPhone has a data plan on it too, and it's not exactly cheap.
2008-07-12, 9:01 PM #52
Does the new iphone have stereo speakers now? Also does it come with an improved camera? Did they address the copy and paste issue and the inablity to to do MSM and video recording?
\(='_'=)/
2008-07-12, 10:35 PM #53
The iPhone has a data plan on it too, and it's not exactly cheap.

20 bucks a month for unlimited?

That's pretty cheap. In Canada people pay multiple hundreds for data plans.
D E A T H
2008-07-12, 10:48 PM #54
Originally posted by silent_killa:
Does the new iphone have stereo speakers now? Also does it come with an improved camera? Did they address the copy and paste issue and the inablity to to do MSM and video recording?

None of these have been improved / added.
2008-07-13, 3:20 AM #55
lucky bastards. im stuck with verizon, and hence, with crappy phones.

mehhhh, the iphone's declasse anyway.
2008-07-13, 3:46 AM #56
20 bucks a month for unlimited?

That's pretty cheap. In Canada people pay multiple hundreds for data plans.

Considering I pay a quarter of that, no, it's not cheap.
2008-07-13, 4:21 AM #57
I'm pretty happy with my T-mobile Wing.

I had three requirements when I was shopping for a phone:
1- Bluetooth so I could use a headset and wander around during endless teleconferences.
2- Full QWERTY keyboard as I use it primarily to text.
3- Voice dialing so if I need to make calls or setup appointments during commutes I won't die while fumbling with buttons.

Also it can read me out notifications/incomings in a GLaDOS voice. This makes it all worth it.
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2008-07-13, 6:41 PM #58
Considering I pay a quarter of that, no, it's not cheap.

For 3G unlimited? Seriously, it may be a bit expensive but 20/month isn't expensive. Go to canada, and ask someone who has a smartphone with Rogers how much they pay a month for data. Then you'll know expensive.

If you're too cheap to pay it though, that's a different matter.
D E A T H
2008-07-13, 7:06 PM #59
if he's on t-mobile he doesn't have 3g because t-mobile's data network sucks balls. they tried to make up for it by giving free wifi at their access points, but that's not enough. :colbert:
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-07-13, 10:03 PM #60
Quote:
lucky bastards. im stuck with verizon, and hence, with crappy phones.

mehhhh, the iphone's declasse anyway.

Like I said, LG Voyager. Actually runs pretty decent on verizons 3G network. I enjoy mine. Comparable to the 3G iphone network? Not by a long shot.
-Martyn
2008-07-13, 11:28 PM #61
if he's on t-mobile he doesn't have 3g because t-mobile's data network sucks balls. they tried to make up for it by giving free wifi at their access points, but that's not enough. :colbert:

What good is 3G when it's unavailable in everywhere but major cities >.>
2008-07-14, 5:24 AM #62
What good is 3G when it's unavailable in everywhere but major cities >.>

Not very, but it's available more places than just major cities. AT&T's expanded their operation a lot lately.
D E A T H
2008-07-14, 5:54 AM #63
I have 3g service and I'm about an hour from a majorish city (Nashville)
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-07-14, 7:12 AM #64
I guess Cincinnati is just a black hole then. My friend's got the new iPhone and he gets 3G only when he's literally in downtown Cincinnati, he doesn't even get it 30 minutes out at his house in the middle of a large suburb.

But then again, as I said, AT&T blows here.
2008-07-14, 7:32 AM #65
I have 3g service and I'm about an hour from a majorish city (Nashville)

Yeah, both Nashville where I live and Franklin where I work are pretty much blanketed in 3G coverage.
2008-07-14, 9:29 AM #66
Originally posted by Darth:
Yeah, both Nashville where I live and Franklin where I work are pretty much blanketed in 3G coverage.

i also get 3g in triune and murfreesboro :D
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-07-14, 10:14 AM #67
The apps are seriously amazing. Like... seriously.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2008-07-15, 5:51 PM #68
i <3 my black nokia n82 :)

tried an iphone.. hated it.
Mmmm.
2008-07-15, 7:54 PM #69
Originally posted by fishstickz:
The apps are seriously amazing. Like... seriously.

The apps for the iphone can't compare to what the other platforms have to offer :colbert:
\(='_'=)/
2008-07-15, 9:08 PM #70
Anybody tried the LG dare yet?
-Martyn
2008-07-16, 6:59 AM #71
The apps for the iphone can't compare to what the other platforms have to offer :colbert:

Um...pretty sure they can. Gadgets like this get such a huge developer following it's not even funny.
D E A T H
2008-07-16, 7:12 AM #72

What?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5xA8-XvjNk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a6-cUOPoLY
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2008-07-16, 10:14 AM #73
so i have a question for you iphone peeps. i like the thumbboard on my current phone. can the iphone's screen be rotated for texting and regular use sideways?
i swear i've only seen the crappy looking keyboard in the regular portrait mode
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2008-07-16, 10:21 AM #74
You can use the keyboard sideways in Safari, but you have to use the portrait mode for texting / email (Which sucks, but I'm still faster with it than T9)
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2008-07-16, 10:24 AM #75
thats suckage
yep, unless its more awesome and non-at&t by the time my replacement is made in a year, totally not getting one
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2008-07-16, 11:22 AM #76

Nokia has the Ngage platform for the Nseries phones. So don't make it sound like only the iphone has a GPU that produces awesome games that are fun to play and look better than the ds lite. And I wasn't actually thinking about games when i said apps. I was merely pointing out that the Iphone is still very new, and their library of apps is minuscule compared to windows mobile, or symbian os.
\(='_'=)/
2008-07-16, 11:27 AM #77
Um...pretty sure they can. Gadgets like this get such a huge developer following it's not even funny.

It will take them a few years to reach the level of maturity in terms of apps when compared to the other platforms. That is my point.
\(='_'=)/

↑ Up to the top!