Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Louisiana Science Education Act brings Intelligent Design back into classroom
Louisiana Science Education Act brings Intelligent Design back into classroom
2008-07-13, 1:46 PM #41
Originally posted by Wookie06:
The problem with theories that incorporate religious or supernatural components is that those don't fit with science as we currently understand it.

No, the problem with those theories is that they are not theories because they are not science. Religion is, by definition, outside of the realm of natural reality and thus, science. If god were ever discovered in a laboratory, he would have to be natural and not supernatural, by the very definitions of those words.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-07-13, 2:06 PM #42
Originally posted by Emon:
No, the problem with those theories is that they are not theories because they are not science. Religion is, by definition, outside of the realm of natural reality and thus, science. If god were ever discovered in a laboratory, he would have to be natural and not supernatural, by the very definitions of those words.

I understand that but the fact that science even excludes the possibility from the discussion further fuels the argument. In other words, when you have a science teacher outright dismiss other possibilities outside of their understanding that will fuel the type of conflict we have today. I might expand on this later.

Originally posted by Mentat:
There isn't a shred of evidence to support the existence of a creator. The debate has very little to do with whether or not a creator exists. No one at this time can prove one way or the other, but the Theory of Evolution is backed by mountains of evidence & peer review while religion is backed by...an ancient book of questionable origin. There are many Atheists that would become religious if one could prove that their God existed & that they knew the mind of said God. It's not much different than when a Christian becomes an Atheist once he/she begins to research Evolution or various other facts.

Give me a break. Even 1 in 5 Amercan atheists believe in a higher power, according to a recent poll.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2008-07-13, 2:12 PM #43
It's not much different than when a Christian becomes an Atheist once he/she begins to research Evolution or various other facts.

That happens both ways, y'know.
woot!
2008-07-13, 2:17 PM #44
Just to ensure that my current understanding was exactly what wikipedia proclaims, I did as you requested.

So, how did my simply worded sentence confuse you? Should I have thrown in some five dollar words?

Let me elaborate.

The scientific method, I believe, is an important process to teach. The logical and systematic approach is a very important learning objective.

Scientific theories I believe, while well founded and tested through the scientific method, remain theories. That is not meant to discredit them but to highlight the fact that there can exist different theories. In the case of evolution, the theoy is certainly the prevalent one. The problem with theories that incorporate religious or supernatural components is that those don't fit with science as we currently understand it.

I think the driving force here is not really the "religious right" (which is really just "religious" because that term denegrates the religious liberals that hold the same opinion) but more, I believe, the "consensus" of scientists to simply dismiss religious or supernatural premisis. Much of what we think we know on a whole range of topics is based on such limited experience that I think to off handedly dismiss things you simply don't believe is silly.

If they incorporate 'supernatural components' then they are not science. Science describes and explains the natural world by natural means. Anything that is supernatural is not science. It is precisely this desire to incorporate 'supernatural' elements into science lesson that is worrying so many scientists. It is an entire mockery of the 'scientific method'.

Science teachers are fully within their rights to dismiss 'supernatural' concepts, because by its very concept is isn't science.

As for 'most people believe in a higher power!' type points, they are simply irrelevant. Science is not a democracy. It doesn't matter how many people believe in God, it doesn't mean there is one.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2008-07-13, 2:17 PM #45
I understand that but the fact that science even excludes the possibility from the discussion further fuels the argument. In other words, when you have a science teacher outright dismiss other possibilities outside of their understanding that will fuel the type of conflict we have today. I might expand on this later.

We don't consider things to be true which have no evidence.

Teachers of science aren't outright dismissing creationism as a possibility; they don't teach it because there is no evidence for it.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2008-07-13, 2:22 PM #46
Exactly. It is not dismissed because we don't understand it, it is dismissed because it cannot be tested for.
2008-07-13, 2:29 PM #47
Originally posted by Freelancer:
We don't consider things to be true which have no evidence.

Teachers of science aren't outright dismissing creationism as a possibility; they don't teach it because there is no evidence for it.
No, they don't teach creationism because it isn't a scientific theory. Even if there is no direct evidence, a theory must make testable predictions so that in the future it might be possible to collect hard facts. String theory is valid science without a single shred of evidence.

Well, in the case of God being responsible for Creation, that really isn't just a "certain group's" religious belief. It is generally the belief probably held by the majority [...]
America is not (or more accurately, was never intended to be) a religious/Christian country regardless of the 'majority' - hence the majority's beliefs shouldn't be forced on the minority. But then again this whole point is irrelevant (or at least, should be) because religion, whether the majority's or the minority's, is not science.

Science is a simple set of rules. I'm continually amazed how people fail to understand that those who fail to play by the rules shouldn't be allowed to participate.
Dreams of a dreamer from afar to a fardreamer.
2008-07-13, 2:34 PM #48
Quote:
Give me a break. Even 1 in 5 Amercan atheists believe in a higher power, according to a recent poll.

Which would leave 4/5 that would potentially believe in a creator if there was evidence to support its existence. I never claimed that all Atheists would convert (I said many). I would encourage you to read this.

Quote:
I understand that but the fact that science even excludes the possibility from the discussion further fuels the argument.

It's excluded because there's no evidence. If there were evidence, it would be included.

Quote:
That happens both ways, y'know.

That was my point. If there was evidence, many Atheists would become religious. However, I doubt that many Atheists become religious because of the evidence.
? :)
2008-07-13, 3:27 PM #49
Okay, I don't mean to dig myself into a deep hole of endless quotes, so I will slightly expand one point.

I would not expect a science teacher to teach concepts that they might not have a real understanding of. Tangently, it could be said that one of our education issues is that too many teachers are teaching things they don't have real understandings of. Be that as it may, I think a real problem is that teachers are teaching that their way is the "correct way" and dismissing other "theories" as "hogwash" (sorry for all the quotation marks). That is generally not going to be an issue. Most classes are never going to be very controversial but when you have a science teacher outright dismissing God, as was mentioned previously in this thread, you are bound to create problems with the masses. Now I'm sure some condescending individual will draw parallels to the flat Earth, man made global warming, and other such things where a majority of popular opinion was definitely wrong but none of that has to do with religious beliefs in God.

You can not have an activist community within education outright dismissing the majority opinoin with regards to religion and not expect problems.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2008-07-13, 3:31 PM #50
Now I'm sure some condescending individual will draw parallels to the flat Earth, man made global warming

:carl:
2008-07-13, 3:33 PM #51
Actually, Martyn's teacher outright dismissed the young earth + garden of eden "theory", which is perfectly acceptable since it is total hogwash.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2008-07-13, 3:42 PM #52
I would agree with you that a teacher shouldn't be dismissing the possibility of a creator to a classroom full of children. We simply don't know whether or not one exists. The subject of Creationism or ID should never be discussed in either a positive or negative tone in the classroom because it's not scientific.
2008-07-13, 4:06 PM #53
This is my attempt to summarize what Menmat and everyone's been saying:

Creationism/ID should not be in science classrooms because they are not sciences, just as dance and theater are not in science classrooms because they are not sciences.

"But evolution examines the origin of the human species, and therefore there should be opposing theories!"

Evolution does so from a scientific standpoint; creationism and ID do not. There aren't (?) other theories that do so.
一个大西瓜
2008-07-13, 4:37 PM #54
Pretty sure it was a college classroom, Mentat.
2008-07-13, 4:58 PM #55
In the end, democracy is about what the majority thinks, not what's actually correct.
2008-07-13, 5:08 PM #56
I would agree with you that a teacher shouldn't be dismissing the possibility of a creator to a classroom full of children. We simply don't know whether or not one exists. The subject of Creationism or ID should never be discussed in either a positive or negative tone in the classroom because it's not scientific.

See, here we really reach some commonality. It isn't even really that much about what should be taught, in my opinion, but how it should be discussed.

Now I personally lean toward a scientific explanation of things. However, there is quite a lot that is unknown in this world. To simply dismiss religious possibilities because they are not scientific is at least as ignorant as dismissing scientific possiblities because they are not religious. And the reason I say "at least as ignorant" is because of the high probability that many theories have of being wrong. Of course theories need to be disproven and theories regarding the genesis of the planet and life can't be disproven. Which, of course, I understand is a far larger topic than just evolution.

2008-07-13, 5:18 PM #57
Few Americans know much about Economics & Physics but I would argue that this country would be a far better place if they did.

Yes. By learning them on the way to earning valuable degrees.

Quote:
There are a ton of careers where Evolutionary Biology is important. If we don't get children interested in important subjects early, they'll probably never become interested. The Fundamentalists recognize this fact, which is why they want Creationism & ID taught in school in the first place.

Most of those careers only only require degrees where a person has taken some courses on it. Most of them don't actually use it in practice, and all of them put together aren't even a very large percentage of the job market.

Quote:
There isn't a shred of evidence to support the existence of a creator. The debate has very little to do with whether or not a creator exists. No one at this time can prove one way or the other, but the Theory of Evolution is backed by mountains of evidence & peer review while religion is backed by...an ancient book of questionable origin. There are many Atheists that would become religious if one could prove that their God existed & that they knew the mind of said God. It's not much different than when a Christian becomes an Atheist once he/she begins to research Evolution or various other facts.

That's interesting, because you personally aren't really informed enough to make that kind of assessment. If the scientific community was comprised of a bunch of fundamentalists that were doing everything they could to prove creation right, they could have you just as convinced of ID as you are now of evolution. So unless you have a masters degree in evolutionary biology and can decided for yourself, you're sill trusting in someone. I mean, you're still left between trusting the consensus of the modern scientific community, and an old region, buts it's not the same as deciding for yourself.
2008-07-13, 5:19 PM #58
To simply dismiss religious possibilities because they are not scientific

Sigh. No one is saying that. We're dismissing religious possibilities within the context of science.

theories regarding the genesis of the planet and life can't be disproven.

What? Of course they can. A theory is not a scientific theory unless it is falsifiable, that is, it can be proven wrong. Everything in science is falsifiable, it has to be otherwise it wouldn't be science. So yeah, the theory that matter is formed of atoms which are formed of protons, electrons, neutrons, etc., can be proven wrong. It's just highly unlikely given the ridiculous amount of evidence in its favor.
2008-07-13, 6:54 PM #59
This thread is adorable. None of the dissenting opinions hold weight.

There is no other side and there is no conflicting evidence. ID, Opposing Viewpoints, and pseudo-scientific concepts like creationism shouldn't be in the Science room until it passes the rigorous gauntlet that every other scientific concept has passed.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-07-13, 8:33 PM #60
Originally posted by JM:
The act never mentions ID... so you just assume that's what it's for?

Originally posted by JM:
But the bill doesn't even mention ID. You're all freaking out and blaming the 'religious right' with nothing to back it up.

[QUOTE=Louisiana Science Education Act]The State Board of Elementary and Secondary Education, upon request of a city, parish, or other local public school board, shall allow and assist teachers, principals, and other school administrators to create and foster an environment within public elementary and secondary schools that promotes critical thinking skills, logical analysis, and open and objective discussion of scientific theories being studied including, but not limited to, evolution, the origins of life, global warming, and human cloning.[/QUOTE]
You think that it's coincidence that the theories that need "discussion" just so happen to also be the ones religious conservatives are upset about? (Although, I'm not sure which scientific theories are based on human cloning)
2008-07-13, 8:38 PM #61
Wuss, I'm not going to debate with you because I don't actually care. I'll just quote myself instead, because this is rather important.

Quote:
In the end, democracy is about what the majority thinks, not what's actually correct.
2008-07-13, 9:05 PM #62
Now I'm sure some condescending individual will draw parallels to the flat Earth, man made global warming, and other such things where a majority of popular opinion was definitely wrong
Now that's just Fox News speaking.
Dreams of a dreamer from afar to a fardreamer.
2008-07-13, 10:24 PM #63
It would appear that my comment was taken out of context. Based on the intensity of the discussion, I will just bow out instead of clarifying. :suicide:
2008-07-13, 11:31 PM #64
Originally posted by Emon:

Oh god he really said that
2008-07-13, 11:59 PM #65
Be that as it may, I think a real problem is that teachers are teaching that their way is the "correct way" and dismissing other "theories" as "hogwash" (sorry for all the quotation marks). That is generally not going to be an issue. Most classes are never going to be very controversial but when you have a science teacher outright dismissing God, as was mentioned previously in this thread, you are bound to create problems with the masses.

No you are not. A science teacher is someone who teaches science. ID is not science. Creation "theory" is not science. It is not even a scientific theory, which is why I use quote marks.

ID has no place in a science classroom, if you want to believe that crap that's fine by me, go to church, go to Sunday school and learn it but if taxpayers' money is spent on teaching those lies to the youth of today in ordinary schools there is something very very wrong with your education system. I don't want to bring up the spaghetti monster or the orbital teapot, but they have as much right to be taught in a science class as ID, which is to say none at all.
2008-07-14, 7:29 AM #66
Originally posted by JM:
Wuss, I'm not going to debate with you because I don't actually care. I'll just quote myself instead, because this is rather important.

I'm not clear on why you think this is important, or relevant. Explain?
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2008-07-14, 9:07 AM #67
Why is it a sin to be critical of evolution? In schools, shouldn't everything in science class be addressed critically?

There are mountains of evidence in the form of fossils that support Evolution.

Darwin said that the number of transitional links "must have been conceivably great", yet archaeopteryx is the only missing link anyone can ever provide, and it still debated and is currently classified as a bird. Even if it is a "missing link", one bird is hardly 'mountains of evidence' in the fossil record.

As Darwin himself asked, "Why, if species have descended from other species by insensibly fine gradations, do we not everywhere see innumerable transitional forms? Why is not all nature in confusion instead of the species being, as we see them, well defined?"
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2008-07-14, 9:10 AM #68
Originally posted by UltimatePotato:
Why is it a sin to be critical of evolution? In schools, shouldn't everything in science class be addressed critically?

Kids should be critical of evolution, like any branch of science. That's how science grows. Teaching ID is not teaching how to be critical.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-07-14, 9:14 AM #69
Well, what qualifies as teaching ID then?
2008-07-14, 9:16 AM #70
What do you mean? Religious studies class?
2008-07-14, 9:19 AM #71
Darwin wasn't the only contributor to the Evolutionary theory.

Teaching ID is arguing that the holes in Evolution are evidence for "design." This is not scientific, and has not been subject to the system of science. Do you realize that everything else you read about in a science book has been tested and retested for a great deal of time? ID is just a facade for Creation, which neither can be tested or even quantified. They're not science, they're philosophy.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-07-14, 9:27 AM #72
Actually, a lot of stuff you read about in textbooks is obsolete and incorrect.
2008-07-14, 9:38 AM #73
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Darwin wasn't the only contributor to the Evolutionary theory.

Teaching ID is arguing that the holes in Evolution are evidence for "design." This is not scientific, and has not been subject to the system of science. Do you realize that everything else you read about in a science book has been tested and retested for a great deal of time? ID is just a facade for Creation, which neither can be tested or even quantified. They're not science, they're philosophy.

Shouldn't the "holes" be examined/discussed anyway? There is no valid reason to shield students from scientific criticisms about key parts of evolutionary or any other scientific theory.

What's the difference between teaching ID and talking about critiques of evolution or things that evolution doesn't address? Saying that a higher power is responsible?
2008-07-14, 9:42 AM #74
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
Actually, a lot of stuff you read about in textbooks is obsolete and incorrect.

If you have old textbooks, of course it is.
2008-07-14, 9:45 AM #75
Shouldn't the "holes" be examined/discussed anyway?

Yes, absolutely. The problem comes when people try to fill those holes with "because God did it". Because that's not science.
2008-07-14, 9:56 AM #76
Quote:
That's interesting, because you personally aren't really informed enough to make that kind of assessment.
I'm more qualified to make that assessment than you are to make the assessment that I'm not qualified to make that assessment.

Quote:
If the scientific community was comprised of a bunch of fundamentalists that were doing everything they could to prove creation right, they could have you just as convinced of ID as you are now of evolution.
I disagree. First, if they were good scientists, it would be impossible to be Fundamentalists. Second, if they were good scientists they wouldn't disagree with the Theory of Evolution. Take Michael Behe for instance, one of the more convincing people on the side of the Creationist & ID movement. The very concept of Irreducible Complexity has been proven time & time again to be a joke. Logical thinking people are convinced by evidence, not the lack thereof.

Quote:
one bird is hardly 'mountains of evidence' in the fossil record.
I could be incorrect but I'm almost certain that I gave you a link with information regarding several transitional fossils, but I'll let Richard Dawkins answer the question for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIgeOz21nAE

Quote:
What's the difference between teaching ID and talking about critiques of evolution or things that evolution doesn't address? Saying that a higher power is responsible?

The difference is that scientific critiques of Evolution are scientific. Saying that there's a higher power isn't scientific.
2008-07-14, 10:03 AM #77
Shouldn't the "holes" be examined/discussed anyway? There is no valid reason to shield students from scientific criticisms about key parts of evolutionary or any other scientific theory.

You entirely missed what I typed. I admitted holes, and then described why ID is not a valid caulk for those holes. Besides, ID throws out all of the concrete parts of Evolution and replaces it with superstition and begging the question.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-07-14, 10:30 AM #78
Hehe... fill the holes with caulk... tehehe
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2008-07-14, 10:41 AM #79

Looking to God for a solution to a problem or "hole" presented about any scientific subject is not a good mindset when dealing with science. You don't look for the most surreal, incomprehensible and unsupportable explanation out there to establish a theory to account for a phenomenon. You shouldn't try to answer a question put forth by scientific data with something so incompatible and alien that completely disregards everything science stands for.

That's what a good science class should teach. Thinking about thinking. "Metathinking", in other words. If the students don't remember the atomic number of Fluorine or what the hell is RNA outside the classroom, so be it. But what they should take with them is the whole concept of the scientific method. They should realize how theories work, what evidence does, how to approach problems with an effective mindset, how to appropriately apply the best possible solution, how to take in information and manage it and so forth. Teaching ID destroys these wonderful lessons at such a young age.
2008-07-14, 11:35 AM #80
One of the defining characteristics of abstract intelligence is the ability to compartmentalize personal belief and understanding from your perspective on a theoretical framework. This is why there are immensely gifted scientists like Albert Einstein who can retain their faith, and why everybody who believes there's even room for debate on the Creation 'Science' issue is intensely stupid.

↑ Up to the top!