Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Drill in Alaska and build nuclear for ****'s sake
Drill in Alaska and build nuclear for ****'s sake
2008-07-15, 9:01 PM #41
I found that highly entertaining.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-07-15, 9:13 PM #42
We should have a database of best Jon'C posts, browseable by subject.
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2008-07-15, 9:20 PM #43
We would have to disable certain tags to avoid things like 'Jerk' taking up all the space in the tag cloud.
2008-07-15, 9:22 PM #44
JM, in all honesty I try to avoid talking about you.
2008-07-15, 10:02 PM #45
Originally posted by Dash_rendar:
modern designs of which can withstand a direct impact from a 747 airliner.

Unfortunately, nuclear meltdowns are just a little bit bigger than that.
2008-07-15, 10:09 PM #46
What.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2008-07-15, 10:23 PM #47
Originally posted by Uberslug:

Maybe your unaware of this, but when reactors meltdown, they don't explode like a nuclear weapon. Otherwise Three Mile Island would have had more then zero deaths.
Life is beautiful.
2008-07-15, 10:32 PM #48
Originally posted by Uberslug:

Something just flew over your head. It's the point you missed.
Pissed Off?
2008-07-15, 10:33 PM #49
The worst that can happen with the kind of fuel used in a fission reactor is a steam explosion, but American reactors are designed to tank that damage.
2008-07-15, 10:55 PM #50
Originally posted by JediKirby:
I found that highly entertaining.

But let's not miss the fact that he, quite wittilly, expertly explained the situation. Not saying that you missed it, just pointing it out for those that might overlook the extremely educational points in his post.

Originally posted by Freelancer:
I made up a statistic that would be impossible to measure to illustrate my point. Do you really believe some herd a thousand miles away is keeping us from using our resources? I don't. That's why I think senators are making money by keeping our oil supply foreign.

No, I don't believe any herd is keeping us from our resources. Our own regulations, red tape, and bureaucracy is keeping us from them. And, no, I'm not missing your point. I disagree with it.

Originally posted by DSettahr:
Earth First/Earth Liberation Front != Environmentalists

Just so that's clear.

Of course they aren't. They are terrorists. I must have missed where these groups were brought up previously in this thread.

I would say that your stereotypical environmentalist isn't even a real environmentalist anyway. A capitalist pig oil man can be an environmentalist. The average stereotypical environmentalist is simply a hippie wierdo.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2008-07-16, 12:38 AM #51
Originally posted by Wookie06:
No, I don't believe any herd is keeping us from our resources.
We are in agreement.

Our own regulations, red tape, and bureaucracy is keeping us from them.
I understand our regulations don't permit drilling oil at the moment. Something is keeping congress from changing those regulations, however. If backlash from conservationists isn't the red-tape preventing new regulations, then it is something else.

And, no, I'm not missing your point. I disagree with it.
I apologize if I said you missed my point. That's not what I meant. I understand you disagree.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2008-07-16, 2:40 AM #52
The average stereotypical environmentalist is simply a hippie wierdo.

And those pesky guys with degrees and PhDs and research grants in the relevant science and peer-reviewed articles and no funding from Exxon-Mobil and those annoying experts at the IPCC. Damn hippies...
2008-07-16, 5:45 AM #53
What, now hippies can't have an education?

Way to cling to stereotypes.
2008-07-16, 7:52 AM #54
Wait, there's one thing I'm missing from the Jon 'Crude/WookCorp/etc model. It seems pretty important, but I'm no economist. What causes the price per barrel to rise during the model? If Jon 'Crude controls the source of the raw materials and the process by which they are rendered into usable products, should that company not also be able to set the market price? Or is this just where the contracts come in? Supposing Jon' Crude CAN control the market price- it saw that production costs were going up and adjusted the cost of its product accordingly. Having already agreed to sell X barrels at the previous price under the contract only leaves them in a calculated position of having lost out when a company like HappyDud, which deals in promises, sits on them for a while and sells them later. Right? Jon 'Crude can't prevent their customers from selling contracts written up specifically for said customer, can they?

Clearly, there's a lot more about the system of which I know little to nothing, but it would be nice to clear this up. It was a good model, and I'd like to know more.
2008-07-16, 8:02 AM #55
Doesnt another Chernobyl = more S.T.A.L.K.E.R?.
2008-07-16, 8:23 AM #56
I've got an addiction to oil, and the only cure is more oil!
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2008-07-16, 10:43 AM #57
Originally posted by FXTourte:
Wait, there's one thing I'm missing from the Jon 'Crude/WookCorp/etc model. It seems pretty important, but I'm no economist. What causes the price per barrel to rise during the model?

Greed.

Like you said, speculators deal in promises. What they can do is restrict the supply of contracts for a particular period and drive up that price (by refusing to sell for cheaper). But when payday comes the price of the contract is still going to be less than the price on the open market because if it were more nobody would buy from the speculators.

This is the secret the oil companies don't want you to know: the prices are artificially fixed. If Syncrude sells oil for $120/bl and OPEC sells oil for $200/bl,... it doesn't matter. Competition doesn't work because the demand for oil is so huge that everybody gets bought out regardless of what their price is. But oil companies can look at the speculators, see that people are willing (theoretically) to buy oil at $350/bl, and raise their prices to match. The real damage the speculation market does is give the oil companies an excuse to do what they'd do anyway.
2008-07-16, 1:22 PM #58
Are we still burying nuclear waste in this country? I mean really... That's like the cartoon where everytime the ostrich got scared he put his head in the ground (or do they actually do that?... meh). You might not see the danger, but it's still going to get you.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2008-07-16, 10:22 PM #59
Originally posted by JM:
We would have to disable certain tags to avoid things like 'Jerk' taking up all the space in the tag cloud.

In the realm of people who know how to get somewhere in life, when someone as (seemingly, I mean come on internet) well put together as Jon is mean to you, we call it a hint
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2008-07-17, 5:43 AM #60
Spook, don't feel bad about Joncy being mean to you, he doesn't really mean it.
2008-07-17, 10:34 AM #61
Don't think drilling in Alaska will do much good.

Do support nuclear power, though.

↑ Up to the top!