Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What is your most memorable mistake you made in a class in HS?
What is your most memorable mistake you made in a class in HS?
2004-08-11, 7:54 PM #1
I just remebered the incident were I set a lab table on fire in chemistry class. (I posted briefly about it in my speed limit thread).

I forget exactly what we were doing, but I think we were putting sodium in water to make sodium hydroxide (lye) which we would then dry, powder, and use to make soap the next lab session. We were supposed to add only a little bit of sodium to the water, but i made a measurment mistake and added WAY too much. Sodium bursts into flames when it hits water, but this fire didn't stay in the beaker like it was supposed to. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

I ended up failing the class, which is ironic b/c i'm directly related to Sir Humphrey davy, the guy that isolated chlorine, sodium, and various other elements, and also invented the miner's hat lantern, as well as the electrolysis process used to separate compounds into their base elements.

So, if you are having a hard time in chemistry with these elements, remember that its all thanks to me and my family. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited August 11, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited August 11, 2004).]
2004-08-11, 7:58 PM #2
I don't know that I have any real big mistakes like that.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-08-11, 8:06 PM #3
It was once in Jr.High School that I told some kid to 'F*** off' for one reason or another...Oh and the Principal was right behind me. But the thing is I am a good talker, so instead of suspension or two weeks detention, I got off with one nights detention. That certainly is a memorable mistake, more so the way I got out of it...but that's another story.

------------------
(>º_º)> ±h³ ѳv³®-£ⁿd¡תּ9 §±ºr¥ <(º_º<) | (>º_º)> תּℓζ ШǿѓЖ§|-Юρ <(º_º<)
Think while it's still legal.
2004-08-11, 8:08 PM #4
My most memorable mistake was definitely in Chemistry too. You don't forget it when you get copper sulfate in your mouth. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/redface.gif]

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-08-11, 8:12 PM #5
Back in Sec. 4 (10th grade) I used to walk to a local music shop at lunch time and play guitar until it was time to head back to school. I don't walk very fast, and I wound up being late for class almost every time. The principal got fed up and kept me after school in detention for a half-hour. No biggie, except that the problem was that I was going to a school in a town 45 minutes away from mine and he had made me miss the bus.

Son of a *****. I was never late after that, though.

------------------
When guitars are outlawed, only outlaws will have guitars.
2004-08-11, 8:13 PM #6
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Freelancer:
My most memorable mistake was definitely in Chemistry too. You don't forget it when you get copper sulfate in your mouth. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/redface.gif]

</font>

what did it taste like?

"It tastes like....burning!" -ralph wiggum

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.
2004-08-11, 8:19 PM #7
Imagine drinking a cup of your own blood * 10. Very coppery. But also another, strange, gagging taste. The worst part is that no matter how much you wash your mouth out, the taste doesn't go away for a couple hours. (And it stained my shirt). [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-08-11, 8:20 PM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
What did it taste like?</font>

He probably asked himself that before putting it in his mouth [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
When guitars are outlawed, only outlaws will have guitars.
2004-08-11, 8:23 PM #9
Nah, I'm not that far gone. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif] I actually just dropped it and it poured all down my face and the front of my shirt. In reality I probably didn't get that much in my mouth, but it sure seemed like it.

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
2004-08-11, 8:32 PM #10
Try Hydrogen Cyanide next time [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
2004-08-11, 8:36 PM #11
So far, it was in World History. I had to write an essay comparing the French Revolution with the American Revolution.

I excessively used the word "*****" wrote a paragraph in nothing but 1337, used the sentence "and then the French king told them to F*** off"
Man... it was the funniest essay I've ever written, but my history teacher didn't agree...

I never made THAT mistake again.

------------------
www.tednation.tk
2004-08-11, 8:47 PM #12
i drank a pen full of ink in geography because i was bored.

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.
2004-08-11, 9:08 PM #13
I had this Social Studies teacher who was insanely strict in grade 8, she was regarded as the Nazi of our school.

I had Social Studies after lunch and, as usual, I had spent all lunch time playing soccer instead of eating anything. During class I whipped out a cheese and lettuce sandwich from my backpack when the teacher wasnt looking, and started discretely munching away, holding the sandwich under my desk when she looked my way.

As always, the teacher started walking through the class as she taught. She approached my desk just looking like she wanted to tell me off (she was one of those craggy old teachers like from a comic strip, plus I think she plain didnt like me), I was sure she had seen me eating in class and wanted to catch me red-handed. In an attempt to hide the evidence I quickly shoved the remains of my sandwich down my pants, bought both hands above my desk, and looked at her, pen and paper in hand, like I was really paying attention. She spent the rest of the class eying me apprehensively, not giving me a moment to retrieve the sandwich precariously placed down my pants.

You want a challenge? Try walking normally out of Social Studies class with wholemeal, lettuce, cheese, and mayo swirling around your durps.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-08-11, 9:15 PM #14
In my senior year of high school, we had to read Don Quijote for Spanish class. I was doing fine with the version that was supposed to be for our level (Spanish IV), and was enjoying the story. Then our teacher found one that was supposed to be written for Spanish III. The lazy asses that populated my classroom being the lazy asses that they were, they voted for the level 3 version, and I was the only one who voted for the level 4 version.

The level 3 version sucked -- it translated Spanish words we didn't know into more Spanish words we didn't know. We were supposed to read it over Spring Break, but I said, "Screw it," and threw it in the trash. Lo and behold, when we returned to school, we had to write a report on "what Don Quijote did," and I felt screwed. But then I found a loophole: the assignment didn't say what he did in the story, so I wrote a story about how he bridged the economical, social, and political differences between the Moors and the Spaniards.

I got a 92%.

------------------
<ubuu> does hitler have a last name?
<jipe> .. yes, Ubuu, we're racist commy nazi jews, and we hate male pattern baldness
<Professor`K> Sorry, but half-way through your logic, my head exploded
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-08-11, 9:30 PM #15
Im not sure if this qualifies as a mistake.. but its funny.

I finished my AP modern euro AP test about an hour early. After the 10 minutes of glancing around the room and spinning my pencil around, I decided to write an essay about how the silver surfer was the worst super hero ever. Now, This was longer than my 5 paragraph essay that I wrote about the nazi propaganda use and its effect on world war II. It was just me venting about the silver surfer however.

When I walk into class in AP the next day, the teacher said. "Now, Ive never read an essay to a class out loud before, but I have to make an exception today." And he read the.. entire.. thing..

I was never quite able to live that one down.

------------------
"Just remember -- No matter how bad things get, Northern Minnesota will always be there"
-- Garrison Keeler
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-08-12, 1:33 AM #16
Five words--18 molar HCL on hand.

------------------
There is no signature

[This message has been edited by Dj Yoshi (edited August 12, 2004).]
D E A T H
2004-08-12, 2:08 AM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fishstickz:
Im not sure if this qualifies as a mistake.. but its funny.

I finished my AP modern euro AP test about an hour early. After the 10 minutes of glancing around the room and spinning my pencil around, I decided to write an essay about how the silver surfer was the worst super hero ever. Now, This was longer than my 5 paragraph essay that I wrote about the nazi propaganda use and its effect on world war II. It was just me venting about the silver surfer however.

When I walk into class in AP the next day, the teacher said. "Now, Ive never read an essay to a class out loud before, but I have to make an exception today." And he read the.. entire.. thing..

I was never quite able to live that one down.

</font>

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
/fluffle
/fluffle
2004-08-12, 2:55 AM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:

</font>

Two words:

1) Holy.
2) ****.

Do you even have a hand left after that?

------------------
Fire Pretty - Graz's Armoury - (That's my blog...)

The Soviet Bunker - (That's my forum...)

"Thou shalt not steal. (Because the government doesn't like competition!)"

How to keep an idiot busy: See below
How to keep an idiot busy: See above
A slightly more stripy Gee_4ce, and more than just Something British...

Visit the home of Corporal G on the Internets
2004-08-12, 3:27 AM #19
Didn't happen to me, but this memory really sticks out. In seventh grade we were disecting frogs, no biggie. The kids next to me were working on their frog, and they had the "probe" tool. So this guy puts it under the frogs eye, and flips the probe. The eye goes flying across the room, hitting the window all the way on the other side. That was very funny.

------------------
"This thread is still alive? Someone should kill it."

[This message has been edited by Nubs (edited August 12, 2004).]
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2004-08-12, 3:37 AM #20
I got sent back to school for farting.

We were sitting round the teacher, and we were noisy, so he sent one of us home.
I then farted. Loudly.
Everyone laughed. Teacher looked at me: "Pack up your stuff and go home"
Off I went.

------------------
Founder of the Massassi Brute Squad (MBS)

B'tduz: A popular dwarfish game which consists of standing a few feet apart and throwing large rocks at one another's head.

"Yes, it's a bloody flying alligator setting fire to my city!" - His Grace His Excellency the Duke of Ankh, Commander Sir Samuel Vimes.

Morituri Nolumus Mori
Founder of the Massassi Brute Squad (MBS)
Morituri Nolumus Mori
2004-08-12, 4:21 AM #21
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:

</font>

I don't mind conc. HCl that much, I barely notice it. But what I do notice is the conc. HNO3 [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif] Good times.
Yet Another Massassi Map | Sadly I Have a Blog Too
2004-08-12, 6:47 AM #22
In ninth grade I totally missed an essay question about an example of how evaporation is a cooling process. I felt really really stupid when the teacher reminded me about sweating.

------------------
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." -Isaac Asimov
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2004-08-12, 7:15 AM #23
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Aaron:
I don't mind conc. HCl that much, I barely notice it. But what I do notice is the conc. HNO3 [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif] Good times.</font>

yes, those weill make some nice chemical burns. It's almost like Fight club in a way. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
2004-08-12, 7:19 AM #24
A big mistake from a friend: We were talking
and the he said that our Sport-Teacher a real stupid Idiot is an he was right behind us... But it was not realy a misatake, since that day he is more friendly than before to us.....

------------------
SpriteMod (JO 2003)
SpriteMod (JO 2003) Roger Wilco Skin

Snail racing: (500 posts per line) ---@%
2004-08-12, 7:22 AM #25
I can't think of any truly memorable mistakes that I myself made, but I witnessed some pretty good ones from others.

One of my Spanish II classmates was asked to translate "My cousins are boring." His answer? "Mis primos son burros," or "My cousins are donkeys."

Among my U.S. history teacher's favorite test questions was "Who was the real first president of the United States?" Every time he put it on a test, someone managed to get it wrong.

The closest thing I have to a memorable mistake was an incident on our senior retreat. Two or three guys were in the cabin's bathroom, making far more noise than they probably should have been. The guy in the bunk below me asked "What are they doing in there?" to which I responded very loudly, just as the principal walked into the room, "Probably having sex." The principal, of course, asked, "What was that?" I just muttered, in a very tired voice, "I don't know," and went back to sleep.

------------------
"Why aren't I'm using at these pictures?" - Cloud, 4/14/02
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2004-08-12, 7:26 AM #26
Mary.

edit: Upon reading the title a second time, I noticed the, "...in a class...," part, but I am going to continue to ignore it and let my original statement stand.

------------------
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."

[This message has been edited by R_ivi_N (edited August 12, 2004).]
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
2004-08-12, 7:30 AM #27
I accidently wrote F*** twice in an essay.

I really have no idea what I was thinking, it just sort of came naturally.

I still got a good grade too.

------------------
Kill Your Idols!
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2004-08-12, 8:47 AM #28
In chemistry, I lit a gas jet on fire with one of those sparker thingys. It was like a freakin flamethrower. That was awesome [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
ZGPC
2004-08-12, 9:26 AM #29
Well, the only thing I really remember was making a beaker explode... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/redface.gif]
I was trying to clean it out with one of those scruby things, and I used the wrong size... >.<
Course, I had to stay after and clean it all up...

Good times.

------------------
Tell me not in mournful numbers, Life is but an empty dream, For the soul is dead that slumbers, and things are not as they seem. Life is real, Life is ernest, the grave is not it's goal; Dust thou art, Dust thou returnest, Was not spoken of the soul.
~William Shakespeare
People are like stained-glass windows.
They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in,
their true beauty is revealed only
if there is a light from within.
-Elizabeth Kübler-Ross
2004-08-12, 9:29 AM #30
I slept with my teacher for a good grade.

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-08-12, 9:30 AM #31
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BurrBoy:
I accidently wrote F*** twice in an essay.

I really have no idea what I was thinking, it just sort of came naturally.
</font>

Dosen't that make you worry just the least little bit?
2004-08-12, 9:44 AM #32
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Correction:
I slept with my teacher for a good grade.

</font>

What was your mistake? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

This didn't happen in class exactly, but I had this big timeline project on India once. I had typed out all the dates and events and my mom was helping me out by cutting and gluing them for me. This was really nice of my mom, but I accidently made a typo. I put Gandhi's death as 1984 instead of 1948. Since I didn't paste the dates down, I didn't notice the mistake until after it was turned in.
2004-08-12, 10:29 AM #33
Yes, because I was later blackmailed because of it.

------------------
2004-08-12, 10:40 AM #34
What subject did he teach?

------------------
"Music is the universal language and the
dialect we speak in is Hip Hop!" - King Solomon
2004-08-12, 10:46 AM #35
Health!

------------------
2004-08-12, 10:56 AM #36
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Molgrew:
What subject did he teach?</font>

He...?
Correction... I had no idea [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
ZGPC
2004-08-12, 10:57 AM #37
I was a girl at the time...

------------------

[This message has been edited by Correction (edited August 12, 2004).]
2004-08-12, 11:00 AM #38
You serious?

------------------
mir·ow ( V ) Pronunciation Key (meer-oh)
Someone or something that possesses unfathomable awesomeness
2004-08-12, 11:47 AM #39
Yeah, chemical burns are fun.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-12, 11:54 AM #40
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by finity5:
In chemistry, I lit a gas jet on fire with one of those sparker thingys. It was like a freakin flamethrower. That was awesome [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

</font>

if your chem lab is on an upper floor, try filling a baloon with the gas and then throwing it out the window. Some smokers really enjoy popping balloons with lit cigarettes. This will teach them not to do that. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

And some of you may wonder why people would be smoking at HS, but its more commonplace than you think. At my school, when people went out to the bleachers or into the bathroom to smoke, they would get caught every time, but for some reason they sometimes got away with it when they did it right next to the buildings. its strange how the world works sometimes. That's where i first saw the baloon trick in action.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited August 12, 2004).]

↑ Up to the top!