Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Cats on leashes?
Cats on leashes?
2004-08-15, 8:20 PM #1
I moved into a new neighborhood and found out my neighbor uses a leash to take along a cat. This old lady and her family uses this to "walk" the feline at her place. I can understand using a leash on dogs and small children, but I haven't found holding cats like that really a great idea. Aren't cats known for their somewhat independent lifestyle? Anyway, thoughts?

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

---------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info (I don't know why I have this still in my sig)
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-08-15, 8:26 PM #2
It doesn't work. You have to train the cat for months and months. I've tried it before, and the cat attacked its collar and basically went wherever the hell it wanted anyway. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

<3 kitties

------------------
Map-Review | My Portfolio | The Matrix: Unplugged

Banks and banks of humming machinery! I've never seen so many knobs. We're going to have to do something, Charlie! Try pushing that button there. No? How about that one? No, not that one either. I know! I'll try pushing this one. Hold my hat will you? Good fellow.
2004-08-15, 8:27 PM #3
My mom walks our cat occasionally. She's been doing it since he was a kitten so he's used to it, but alot of cats will just sit in one spot and not move, basically cus of their independant nature and the fact that they don't like to go where you want them too.

But yeah, my cats an indoor cat so it's the only time outside he gets (without the leash he would run away)

edit: no it does not take monthes of training. All it took was puttin him on a leash when he was a kitten and doing it ever since. Also, he walks completely normal, just like a dog (he even takes a crap sometimes)

[This message has been edited by Raoul Duke (edited August 15, 2004).]
2004-08-15, 8:41 PM #4
I've had cats that would follow me on a wolk, but never on a leash.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-08-15, 8:42 PM #5
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Raoul Duke:

edit: no it does not take monthes of training. All it took was puttin him on a leash when he was a kitten and doing it ever since. Also, he walks completely normal, just like a dog (he even takes a crap sometimes)
</font>

I know, I meant adult cats. Kittens will do anything. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif] Anyway, my cats are stupid--they won't take a crap outside and whine at the door to be let in so they can use the stupid litterbox.

------------------
Map-Review | My Portfolio | The Matrix: Unplugged

Banks and banks of humming machinery! I've never seen so many knobs. We're going to have to do something, Charlie! Try pushing that button there. No? How about that one? No, not that one either. I know! I'll try pushing this one. Hold my hat will you? Good fellow.
2004-08-15, 8:44 PM #6
My cat will follow me everywhere, then suddenly stop and flip over on it's back because it want's it's belly rubbed [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
(>º_º)> ±h³ ѳv³®-£ⁿd¡תּ9 §±ºr¥ <(º_º<) | (>º_º)> תּℓζ ШǿѓЖ§|-Юρ <(º_º<)
Think while it's still legal.
2004-08-15, 10:46 PM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Echoman:
I can understand using a leash on dogs and small children, but I haven't found holding cats like that really a great idea.
</font>

Children on a leash?! WHAT THE HELL?

------------------
If you can read this, you need better glasses.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2004-08-15, 11:00 PM #8
*cough*americaforya*cough*

children leashes
2004-08-15, 11:18 PM #9
That's insanely stupid. Cats can walk themselves, because unlike dogs, they don't randomly attack your neighbors after ****ting and pissing on their property.

I hate people who ignore leash laws and can't be bothered to restrain their dogs on public streets. It's inconsiderate, arrogant, and most importantly, goddamn illegal. I consider it my highest civic duty to inform them that a friendly reminder from animal control is only a seven-digit number away!

[This message has been edited by Sine Nomen (edited August 16, 2004).]
A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.

A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.

art
2004-08-16, 12:09 AM #10
I think that most people who don't leash their dog know that the dog isn't going to do anything agressive; and if they do, well then, they SHOULD leash the animal. As for leashing cats? I think it's kinda silly really, the cat will go where it wants to go when it wants to go. Although, for the record, I've been stratched by cats many more times than I've been bitten by dogs.

------------------
GhostOfYoda - General doer of stuff.
Massassi's Official Chatroom: irc.synirc.com #massassi
2004-08-16, 12:42 AM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CavEmaN:
*cough*americaforya*cough*

children leashes

</font>

What the hell?! He wasn't even joking! That...I... !!!

------------------
If you can read this, you need better glasses.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2004-08-16, 2:14 AM #12
I saw a box cover for a child leash once. The kid looked so depressed.

------------------
A little less conversation, a little more action
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-08-16, 2:21 AM #13
Mine just sits on or lies across my shoulders. Yarrr! I guess he likes the view. Or maybe he whispers evil suggestions into my ear.

------------------
Worth a million in prizes, baby.
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2004-08-16, 2:41 AM #14
My cats don't like it outside. They're like me.

------------------
<landfish> FastGamerr > Satan
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-08-16, 2:50 AM #15
Yeah, my grandparents have a VERY old cat (Like 12 years old +) and it mostly fends for itselfs. It catches fish, mice anything. Such a sweet cat, because its so independant. It'll go out days at a time only to return for some cat food if it didn't catch anything to eat, or to sleep on my lap. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
[="Rememeber that history isn't how the corporate controlled media made it look like. Read between the lines and free your mind. Evolution is the birth of equality and the anti-thesis to opression." - Immortal Technique=]

Massassian since: March 12, 2001
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2004-08-16, 3:46 AM #16
We let our cat outside if shes on her leash. We connected the leash to our cherry tree so we don't have to stay out there holding her leash and following her around for several hours. The only problem is that she tends to get tangled a lot (Under the porch, around the tree, around the bushes, even getting snagged on the porch itself). She likes to go outside and has been use to her leash before we even got her.

------------------
Bellorna-sa ecto mandaba-fa?
Bellorna-sa ecto mandaba-fa?
2004-08-16, 5:08 AM #17
My cat used to git(err escape) outside alot when he was younger and bring back birds to the front step, but now-a-days he only rolls around on the cement when he gits out..

Then again when your a 16 year old,1 eyed cat, hunting my be out of the picture..
2004-08-16, 5:18 AM #18
There was a lady walking a bobcat on a leash once. And I ain't jokin either.

Good ol' Virginia.
2004-08-16, 5:25 AM #19
cats on leashes?

its a stupid idea.

great if you're stupid, or you have a stupid cat I guess.

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.
2004-08-16, 5:27 AM #20
Cats are Satan.

------------------
"This thread is still alive? Someone should kill it."
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2004-08-16, 5:28 AM #21
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Liktra:
We let our cat outside if shes on her leash. We connected the leash to our cherry tree so we don't have to stay out there holding her leash and following her around for several hours. The only problem is that she tends to get tangled a lot (Under the porch, around the tree, around the bushes, even getting snagged on the porch itself). She likes to go outside and has been use to her leash before we even got her.

</font>

That's called animal cruelty. Cats are not dogs. Hence the difference in names.

JediKirby

------------------
jEDIkIRBY - Putting the Romance back into Necromancer.
Proud Leader of the Minnessassian Council

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-08-16, 6:23 AM #22
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nubs:
Cats are Satan.

</font>

Yes.

Cats on leashes is a good idea. It's much harder to catch a loose cat than a loose dog... unless the cat's retarded.

Dogs should run free... free and nekked... to sniff each other's butts... and pee in your bushes, and crap on your lawn... and bite the mailman.

It's all in good fun.

>.>
<.<

------------------
For a healty meal, eat mashed potatoes, peas, and catloaf.
Massassi's cuttin' into my free time, man.
Valuable Life Lesson: Frog + Potato Gun = Blindness
Worship Examples - Christians' love for God should be seen and heard, not merely talked about. It is through actions that one is determined to be Christian, not through words. Words (and thoughts, as well) deceive even one's own self, but the heart speaks truth.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-08-16, 6:27 AM #23
We tried putting our cat on a leash when she was very young. We walked her to the front yard and a car went by -- she is extremely skidish, and she jumped straight up into the air but the leash pulled her down. After that she didn't like the leash OR the collar. Her brother keeps chewing it off for her. Yeah, the leash idea works sometimes, but our cats hate it.

------------------
Your humble opinion is wrong.
2004-08-16, 6:47 AM #24
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mystic0:
We tried putting our cat on a leash when she was very young. We walked her to the front yard and a car went by -- she is extremely skidish, and she jumped straight up into the air but the leash pulled her down. After that she didn't like the leash OR the collar. Her brother keeps chewing it off for her. Yeah, the leash idea works sometimes, but our cats hate it.

</font>

I guess they need muzzles and leg bracers too.

------------------
2004-08-16, 7:07 AM #25
What's so wrong with leashing a cat? Some of you make it sound like they're strapping a bomb with a perimeter switch to'em.

------------------
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2004-08-16, 7:29 AM #26
its a stupid idea.

cats don't need leashes.

------------------
2004-08-16, 7:40 AM #27
Cats are roaming creatures. They are very curious, and require play and exploring. Dogs, on the other hand, require attention, and play of a different kind. They require much effort on the owners part. Dogs need to be on a leash outside so that they can run around, back and forth. Cats on the other hand need to be able to explore, and things to that nature. A leash only allows them to be outside... doing nothing but laying down. And of course, cat's are smart enough to come back home when they're hungry. Dogs have this inevitable weekness called 'stupidity' and just lay down and DIE when they're hungry.

JediKirby

------------------

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-08-16, 8:16 AM #28
Well kirbster, I don't think you're talking about my cat. I'm serius, it's so fat....... it just sits there all day. It barely moves. So Cat+wagon = <3

------------------
"Whats your name"
Cody
"No, whats your real name"
Arkon............
Proud member of the Co-op
Flipsides crackers are the best crackers to have ever existed
2004-08-16, 10:43 AM #29
Some of you really don't get the point. Obviously your not going to walk an outdoor cat on a leash. Leashing is for cats that are not allowed outside because they will run away. Whats more cruel walking it on a leash or never letting the cat outside.

------------------
"If there's one thing I've learned it's this - you just can't shake hands with a fist" - David Allen Coe
2004-08-16, 11:42 AM #30
I took in a stray from my folks place, and at the time I lived in an apartment. I was afraid that if I let the cat out, she would run away, or get stolen, or get run over. So I bought her a leash and took her walking every evening. It helped her to not go stir-crazy. She didn't mind it a bit, in fact, she had a lot of fun. Now that I live in a house with a yard, of course I don't use the leash anymore. But it was great (for her) because she wasn't stuck inside 24 hours a day. Towards the end, even the walks didn't help much (which is one big reason I moved from the apartment).

------------------
Brian's Web Log is CLOSED.
2004-08-16, 11:44 AM #31
i love cats... they are tasty

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-08-16, 12:13 PM #32
One big issue I have with people saying leashes are cruel to cats, well I've had alot of cats in my life and alot of them have been run over.

Used to all our cats were free to go outside if they wanted and usually came in at night. Well, since they were so free to explore quite a number of them had gotten run over.

Now we try to keep our cats inside, but some of them don't like being inside and get out sometimes when we open the door to go out/inside. If we had leashes for them (no stores around here have'em) I wouldn't mind walking them. I mean they can explore, but you can make sure they don't get run over.

So yeah, I find just letting your cat out where it can go anywhere is more cruel unless it's well trained.

------------------
2004-08-16, 12:42 PM #33
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">So yeah, I find just letting your cat out where it can go anywhere is more cruel unless it's well trained.

</font>

Or it's not stupid. I'm sorry you lost your cat, but most cats are smart enough to not be ran over. I've never trained a single cat in my life, and all 6 of them I've ever owned have never gotten ran over. One ran away. Away, being his old home. Cat's are just a BIT smarter than dogs.

There is NO such thing as an 'Inside' cat. Nor is there an 'Inside' dog. Keeping a pet inside at all times is completelly unhealthy. I'm sure an animal is going to live longer if they're allowed to go outside, and explore. Allowed, not forced, or rationed. Both my animals have the freedom to go outside. My dog, however, has a nice big fenced in area. The cat can go wherever she wants, and she does. I know that if I kept them inside for a long period of time, they'd go insane.

Now, all of this is considering you've got a yard. If you live in the city, you have inside cats. It's horrible and cruel, but that's the only way to keep them. Street-dogs and cats are sad and a pathetic example of human's attempt to own animals in the city.

JediKirby

------------------

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-08-16, 12:58 PM #34
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jEDIkIRBY:
Or it's not stupid. I'm sorry you lost your cat, but most cats are smart enough to not be ran over. I've never trained a single cat in my life, and all 6 of them I've ever owned have never gotten ran over. One ran away. Away, being his old home. Cat's are just a BIT smarter than dogs.
</font>

That's funny, I've ran over six cats in the past year from them darting out directly in front of my car, the amount of dogs I've ran over is zero, and I've driven in plenty of places with roaming dogs before. I'm not going to even begin arguing the intelligences of both creatures, I dislike both, but I'll say that dogs aren’t as dumb as you think.

As for leash laws, more children are attacked by stray cats than roaming dogs.

------------------
Roach - Gyring and gimbling in the wabe...
0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-08-16, 1:02 PM #35
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Roach:

As for leash laws, more children are attacked by stray cats than roaming dogs.

</font>

except what is a cat going to do to you, unless they're diseased?

They can bite and claw you, but neither one hurts that much.

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited August 16, 2004).]
2004-08-16, 1:05 PM #36
Oh yeah, I suppose cats can't do anything. It's not like their claws contain bacteria from scratching through their own feces, nor are the mouths about as dirty as a humans. Nope, it's just fine and dandy that cats are far more aggressive and see small children as "prey" and are far more likely to attack because it'd all be superficial wounds.

------------------
Roach - Gyring and gimbling in the wabe...
0 of 14.

[This message has been edited by Roach (edited August 16, 2004).]
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-08-16, 1:26 PM #37
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sine Nomen:
I hate people who ignore leash laws and can't be bothered to restrain their dogs on public streets. It's inconsiderate, arrogant, and most importantly, goddamn illegal. I consider it my highest civic duty to inform them that a friendly reminder from animal control is only a seven-digit number away!
</font>

Here here!

Kirby, a cat will NOT go insane if it stays inside all the time, nor will it not be unhealthy.

Our family has had three cats. All have been indoor cats. The first lived 20+ years, she died of natural causes. The two we have now have also always been inside.

If the cat has always been inside, and only seen the outdoors via windows, how are they going to go insane because they can't go out?

------------------
Put me in the hospital for nerves and then they had to commit me,
You told them all I was crazy,
They cut off my legs now I'm an amputee, God damn you.
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-08-16, 2:53 PM #38
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Arkon11:
Well kirbster, I don't think you're talking about my cat. I'm serius, it's so fat....... it just sits there all day. It barely moves. So Cat+wagon = <3

</font>

[http://www.dennisjudd.com/fun/fatcat.jpg]

------------------
For a healty meal, eat mashed potatoes, peas, and catloaf.
Massassi's cuttin' into my free time, man.
Valuable Life Lesson: Frog + Potato Gun = Blindness
Worship Examples - Christians' love for God should be seen and heard, not merely talked about. It is through actions that one is determined to be Christian, not through words. Words (and thoughts, as well) deceive even one's own self, but the heart speaks truth.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-08-16, 3:00 PM #39
I had two "indoor" cats; one (Smokey Jo) died at about 15 years, natural death (she didn't eat much the last few years -- weighed 8 pounds, skinnier than anything)
The other (Snowpaws) was killed by a vaccine -- apparently, the vaccine caused skin cancer in cats.
Neither minded their collars much.

I've never seen a cat on a leash, and it's not seen often (if at all), so of course it's going to seem wierd!

------------------
nytfyre m0d || f33l t3h p0w3r || t3h l0st c0gz || OMF > *
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2004-08-16, 3:04 PM #40
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DogSRoOL:
[http://www.dennisjudd.com/fun/fatcat.jpg]

</font>

i love that photo

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway

↑ Up to the top!