Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Half-Life 2 NEW TRAILER
Half-Life 2 NEW TRAILER
2004-08-15, 9:46 PM #41
Bah, 56k isn't that bad. After many years, I gave up hope and got used to this crap. And also, you could get one of those programs that lets you pause and resume downloads.

As soon as I navigate my way through this maze of fileplanet.

... PICE OF #@#@$(!$@#%*!($#(%@#%!&!@#$(!@_)][][#@$@#$@#$\|}{#$@#$#($ FILEPLANET. it wont let me download files because it says "I'm already logged in" and I never even had a freaking account on this thing in the first place. Anybody know of ANY mirrors?

Also who said it isn't good to use the manipulator to maniplate zombies and stuff, that would suck because all you'd need to do is pick up an enemy and throw them into the trashcan or something... gameplay down the drain. And anyways, after you beat the game, there's always the crazy man who will Mod the original weapon to rediculous proportions and let you shoot the combine fortress into the sun or other stuff like that. Maybe even a mod where the crowbar turns into a lightsaber and you can deflect strider beams.? Even the most simple mods for this game will own.

.. but please SOMEBODY GET MIRROR

------------------
I am __Ace_1__ , and I approve this message.

[This message has been edited by Ace1 (edited August 16, 2004).]

I am _ Ace_1 _ , and I approve this message.
2004-08-16, 1:35 AM #42
This game seemed to look much better a year ago [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif].

I'm still going to buy it, though.

------------------
GhostOfYoda - General doer of stuff.
Massassi's Official Chatroom: irc.synirc.com #massassi
2004-08-16, 2:40 AM #43
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GhostOfYoda:
This game seemed to look much better a year ago [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif].
</font>

Yup, but to be honest what always drew me to HL2 (and indeed STALKER) was never the player models or lighting or anything like that....but rather the scale of the environments and ambition of the gameplay. I really enjoyed Doom 3, but I'm hoping these two titles can really push ahead with the genre's evolution in terms of gameplay.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1, 2 & 3 | Gonk WoW Petition <- SIGN!
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-08-16, 2:53 AM #44
Not one thing in this trailer will you find new if you've been following HL2 alot. Its just a VERY high quality collection of clips.

------------------
[="Rememeber that history isn't how the corporate controlled media made it look like. Read between the lines and free your mind. Evolution is the birth of equality and the anti-thesis to opression." - Immortal Technique=]

Massassian since: March 12, 2001
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2004-08-16, 2:57 AM #45
For the people who hate Fileplanet, why do you go there?

http://www.3dgamers.com/games/halflife2/

3DGamers is 1000x better in every conceviable(sp) way.

------------------
[="Rememeber that history isn't how the corporate controlled media made it look like. Read between the lines and free your mind. Evolution is the birth of equality and the anti-thesis to opression." - Immortal Technique=]

Massassian since: March 12, 2001
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2004-08-16, 4:02 AM #46
The lip synch and character animations look amazing. But I'm not at all impressed by the fighting scenes.

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-08-16, 7:05 AM #47
The fight scenes don't look good because whoever is playing plays bad. I mean he doesn't take cover, takes so many bullets, shoots at things that obviosly can't be destroyed with his puny weapon, shoots at sombody 50 feet away instead of the guy right behind him shooting shotgun shells into his back, etc...

------------------
2004-08-16, 7:14 AM #48
We also said that about JO before it came out. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-08-16, 7:34 AM #49
assuming that moives where made at the high setting, I'd Say its safe to say doom3 looks better.

I'm Not saying it is the better game though,
2004-08-16, 7:44 AM #50
The lighting, if nothing else, looks *much* *much* better than D3's. It isn't spectacular (or specular), but it's not supposed to be. It's realistic. Not everything casts a super-sharp heavily contrasted shadow.
A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.

A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.

art
2004-08-16, 7:45 AM #51
I think this game looks ten times more realistic then Doom3 :/

------------------
(>º_º)> ±h³ ѳv³®-£ⁿd¡תּ9 §±ºr¥ <(º_º<) | (>º_º)> תּℓζ ШǿѓЖ§|-Юρ <(º_º<)
Think while it's still legal.
2004-08-16, 8:10 AM #52
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FH_PhoenixFlame:
wow! Thanks Master! I am downloading it now! This is awesome, no wait at all!

edit: wow! That was amazing!

</font>

Don't call SAJN "Master" call him SAJN_peon. :P

------------------
"Whats your name"
Cody
"No, whats your real name"
Arkon............
Proud member of the Co-op
Flipsides crackers are the best crackers to have ever existed
2004-08-16, 8:13 AM #53
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SAJN_Master:
I think this game looks ten times more realistic then Doom3 :/</font>

Hardly... Doom 3 looks pretty damn good, I dont know why you hate it so much [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

Oh yeah, it looks like plastic... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

------------------
ZGPC
2004-08-16, 8:23 AM #54
I'm pretty sure that wasn't set to highest quality, check these out: 1, 2, 3

HL2 seems to have the best level of detail system thinge in forever. The first two shots I thought were high quality digital photographs of a city or something. The third one just looks cool.

Also in some of the higher quality videos, you can see how certain surfaces reflect light realistically, unlike doom3 with a dull wax shine look on everything.

[edits] stupid urls ]

------------------

2004-08-16, 8:27 AM #55
Eh... those are in game shots? They look like photographs... If they are in game... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/eek.gif]

------------------
ZGPC
2004-08-16, 8:34 AM #56
The first two are photographs.
The third is concept art.

sorry to dissapoint. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
"Judging by the name of the author, and the name of the work, I'd guess it's an energy "beam". You know, like in the Japanese cartoons where those guys with big hair fly around, talk philosophy, and shoot fireballs at each other." - Hellequin
*insert some joke about pasta and fruit scuffles*
2004-08-16, 8:36 AM #57
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Arkon11:

Don't call SAJN "Master" call him SAJN_peon. :P

</font>

O_O .....okay........

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

---------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info (I don't know why I have this still in my sig)
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-08-16, 8:49 AM #58
whatever, they sure fooled me by saying "featuring 20 shots!!!" and not saying if any were not actual ingame shots. Where does it say what exactly each picture is? to see what is actually ingame or not?

it seems to be a mix of whatever, but these few I'd say are pretty ingame looking:1, 2, 3, 4
and still very cool. If those aren't ingame, than whatever, I didn't know valve drew so angled to make things look like polys.

------------------

2004-08-16, 8:52 AM #59
http://www.planethalflife.com/features/articles/sigg04/index.shtm
[http://www.planethalflife.com/features/articles/sigg04/phl_c17_Slide08.jpg]
I think that looks absolutely amazing. seriously, if that hl logo wasnt there, I wouldnt be able to tell the difference between that and a photo.

Annnnyway, I need to download that video.

------------------
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2004-08-16, 8:56 AM #60
actually, apparently that one is a photo. I first thought so, but then thought it was ingame because the shadows are so distinct.

------------------
2004-08-16, 10:46 AM #61
However, I think THIS [http://www.planethalflife.com/features/articles/sigg04/phl_c17_Slide10b_hi.jpg] Is from the game.

Its so bloody realistic. Maybe it is a photo...but if not... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/eek.gif]

[This message has been edited by Oberfeldwebell (edited August 16, 2004).]
*insert some joke about pasta and fruit scuffles*
2004-08-16, 10:51 AM #62
After looking at the video and now that slideshow, I am proud to call myself a HL2 fanboy. Jesus, the lighting is ****ing *ace*

Nobody can really speak to how well the game will play, but I would be more than willing to shell over the cash just for the engine. And if they've put as much effort into the gameplay as they have recreating an urban environment, I don't think it will be an issue at all.

A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.

art
2004-08-16, 11:00 AM #63
Dear. God. Doom 3 has nothing on this.

------------------
Change is never a choice. You change, and you are who you have become. And there's not a damned thing you can do about it.
>>untie shoes
2004-08-16, 11:08 AM #64
OK, I'm convinced: HL2 > D3

JediKirby

------------------
jEDIkIRBY - Putting the Romance back into Necromancer.
Proud Leader of the Minnessassian Council

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-08-16, 11:20 AM #65
I still think this just will end up being no fun, other than messing with the physics. If it plays anything like HL1 did, I can't see myself getting into it. I admit it looks more realistic, (note, I'm not saying better), but I could really care less if the man can speak 40 different languages and lip synch perfectly. I care about how the gameplay is. But hey, this is just me, after all.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-16, 11:32 AM #66
Damn it...for the past month or so there hasn't been much of anything worth downloading, and now this and the id Software Q&A QuakeCon 550MB video are released...guess I'd better get my 56k modem ready for some serious data transferring. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]
2004-08-16, 11:33 AM #67
At that rate you might as well download Doom 3 (kidding!)

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-16, 11:47 AM #68
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
I still think this just will end up being no fun, other than messing with the physics. If it plays anything like HL1 did, I can't see myself getting into it. I admit it looks more realistic, (note, I'm not saying better), but I could really care less if the man can speak 40 different languages and lip synch perfectly. I care about how the gameplay is. But hey, this is just me, after all.

</font>

Gameplay is the precise reason I think this game is going to be better than Doom 3 - because Doom 3's gameplay was absolutely NOTHING new, not innovative AT ALL. I, like you, think that gameplay is what makes a great game. It looks like both of these games are going to be spectacular technology-wise, but Half-Life 2 is introducing more teamplay, vehicles, and what looks like more tactics (dealing with grenades with grav-gun?). Not to mention CS-Source, which IMHO is a Doom 3 killer right there (Though I am biased towards CS :P).
2004-08-16, 11:48 AM #69
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:

</font>

..Granted, fighting armored soldiers and alien robots in a well-lit immersive urban setting has *nothing* on firing at some barely-visible variation on the 'horned demon' theme in pitch black hallways, but I think we should all wait until the game is out to make judgements about gameplay.

art
2004-08-16, 11:52 AM #70
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ace1:
actually, apparently that one is a photo. I first thought so, but then thought it was ingame because the shadows are so distinct.

</font>

if you look carefully you can see the jaggies

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-08-16, 12:02 PM #71
Doom 3's FUN though. Like I said, if it plays anything like HL, it will be unfun. I never said it sucked, or that it would be bad, just that I, me, personally, didn't hold out much hope. Doom 3, while not innovative, was good ol' fashioned fun, while scaring the piss outta ya. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-16, 12:04 PM #72
i want both... and hopefully HL2 will run better at higher settings than doom3...

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-08-16, 12:05 PM #73
Probably will. The min specs are a LOT lower. 700 MHZ, 128 MB of RAM, 7500 or greater I think. Maybe a bit higher, but not much.

EDIT: 1.2GHz Processor, 256MB of RAM, and a DX7 card. I was off.

------------------
There is no signature

[This message has been edited by Dj Yoshi (edited August 16, 2004).]
D E A T H
2004-08-16, 12:18 PM #74
That's because the graphics are MASSIVELY scalable.

------------------
Change is never a choice. You change, and you are who you have become. And there's not a damned thing you can do about it.
>>untie shoes
2004-08-16, 12:51 PM #75
I'm assuming you didn't like HL1, because saying it will be "unfun" if it plays like HL1 sounds ridiculous. I continue to play HL SP to this day and it rarely gets boring for me. Personal preference, I guess.

[Edit: Oh, and to clarify; on that slideshow thing, often times when it shows two similar pics in the same page, one is the inspiration while the other is the actual in-game shot. Atleast, that's the impression I got from it.]

------------------
Moo.

[This message has been edited by A_Big_Fat_CoW (edited August 16, 2004).]
Moo.
2004-08-16, 1:14 PM #76
Anyone that says these graphics don't look the sh*t is a fool. Plain and simple.

------------------
>>untie shoes
2004-08-16, 1:18 PM #77
Thanks for the pics SAJN [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

*sigh* All these swanky games and me without the hardware to play them in their swanky glory. I'll need to acquire funds for an upgrade post haste.

Who wants to buy one of my kidneys?

------------------
Run: forgetting passwords on a regular basis.
Run: forgetting passwords on a regular basis.
2004-08-16, 1:23 PM #78
I'll take one... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

Yeah, I just started replaying HL, so I should beat it before HL2. Did the same thing for Doom right before it came out [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
ZGPC
2004-08-16, 1:53 PM #79
I wasn't that impressed by the video. It looks okay, but only okay.

It's just the usual flip from short scene to short scene to make the game look cooler than it is (every game does it, even the doom 3 trailer did). It really doesn't look that great, except the characters. The levels look kind of plain (not plain are exceptions, but exist). The physics are what could be impressive. I'm not going to hype up to HL2 and run out and buy it though. I have a feeling it will let everyone down with all the high expectations that nearly no game in the next few years could meet. I'll convince a friend to buy it rofl, live at his house.
You...................................
.................................................. ........
.................................................. ....rock!
2004-08-16, 4:36 PM #80
Oh man, it looks great. I hope it doesn't suck. I also hope STALKER doesn't suck, GSC doesn't have a great track record.

------------------

↑ Up to the top!