Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Zimbabwe is falling apart
Zimbabwe is falling apart
2008-12-05, 10:53 PM #1
http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2008_12/015943.php

Pretty intense. I'm glad that isn't happening here... yet.

Oh and for people too lazy to read, here's the short version: 89,700,000,000,000,000,000,000% inflation (that's 89.7 sextillion percent), major cholera outbreaks, complete break down of water and sewage systems in the capital (leaving streets filled with poop), government services and hospitals all shut down, and the army is rioting because the government can't afford to print enough money to pay them.
2008-12-05, 10:58 PM #2
Some SERIOUS international intervention is REQUIRED. Although I'm afraid World Powers could fall if they try investing in another nation. Sounds like its over for Zimbabwe. Sad. Very sad.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2008-12-05, 11:00 PM #3
:(
2008-12-06, 12:27 AM #4
If all the nations of Africa somehow join together (with serious intentions), something can actually be done about the sad state of affairs in many of these countries on that continent. Too bad it will never happen.

There is no infrastructure to hold these African nations to safety when trouble comes, and giving more and more aid won't do anything in the long run.

So I guess it's so long for Zimbabwe.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-12-06, 2:02 AM #5
I once had a crazy idea, for nations like Zimbabwe and Burma.

What if the U.N. allowed a 100% voluntary international army funded by donations and the nations of the world, be allowed to invade countries such as these to over throw their governments and rebuild them.

Crazy and childish idea.

Just another dream.
2008-12-06, 3:18 AM #6
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
If all the nations of Africa somehow join together (with serious intentions), something can actually be done about the sad state of affairs in many of these countries on that continent.
'Nations' in Africa are a concept that European colonialists tried to introduce. (They failed.)
Dreams of a dreamer from afar to a fardreamer.
2008-12-06, 3:25 AM #7
Isn't this the state of pretty much 90% of africa.... (sarcasm)

Now everyone is going to turn to the US to help them out, wonderful.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2008-12-06, 3:25 AM #8
africa is ****ed what else is new?
2008-12-06, 3:36 AM #9
Originally posted by ragna:
africa is ****ed what else is new?

It isn't new, infact its VERY old news. But that's not the point, the point is, serious and proportional action is not being taken to solve this issue.

It is clear that Africa is incapable of solving its own problems, it needs help.
2008-12-06, 4:47 AM #10
[http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/36/Smithy.jpg]

"Pushing people forward simply because of their colour, irrespective of merit, would be most unfortunate and would of course lead to disaster. It would mean that Rhodesia would then develop into a kind of banana republic where the country would in no time be bankrupt."

:XD:
Quote Originally Posted by Chaz Ghostle
some gay men prefer to have partners with smaller, softer bodies[. . .]It really all comes down to what you like.
2008-12-06, 4:53 AM #11
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:

What if the U.N. allowed a 100% voluntary international army funded by donations and the nations of the world, be allowed to invade countries such as these to over throw their governments and rebuild them.

Crazy and childish idea.

Just another dream.

Shadow of the Hegemon?
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2008-12-06, 5:26 AM #12
We could use a Peter Wiggin about now. Except, not ruling from Brazil.

I mean, really. Brazil?

And a villain named Achillies? Not Card's most creative move ever.
2008-12-06, 8:39 AM #13
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:

Crazy and childish idea.

Just another dream.

Isn't that what Teddy Roosevelt did in Cuba? I don't know why the UN would have any say, they wouldn't do anything about it. Individual countries might get irritated, depending on where it went down.
2008-12-06, 9:04 AM #14
This is how a civilization fails. Watch closely, everyone!
2008-12-06, 10:02 AM #15
Involvement by the Western Powers would not be effective I'm afraid. As someone has astutely pointed out, Africa is a continent inhabited by thousands upon thousands of tribes, that only were forced together by colonialism. The notion that these nations can enjoy long term success as a result of foreign intervention is essentially a modern version of the White Man's Burden. What I hear from people is that they obviously cant take care of themselves, so "we" should do it. Now granted, some countries in Africa have succeeded so there are exceptions to the rule, but I don't think that fixing Africa is possible.
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2008-12-06, 10:20 AM #16
Nuke and pave
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2008-12-06, 10:32 AM #17
Quote:
Power outages mean surgeries are performed by the light of cellphones.

Wow.
2008-12-06, 1:28 PM #18
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
Isn't that what Teddy Roosevelt did in Cuba? I don't know why the UN would have any say, they wouldn't do anything about it. Individual countries might get irritated, depending on where it went down.

Not sure, but if you're talking about what I think you are, that was VERY small army.

I'm talking about an army of millions.
2008-12-06, 1:33 PM #19
Quote:
Isn't that what Teddy Roosevelt did in Cuba?
Not really. The point of invading Cuba wasn't to rebuild it, but simply to kick the Spanish out who were seen to be abusing Cubans. Some rebuilding might have occurred, but it wasn't a focus of the campaign. It was basically the US whooping the Spanish and then leaving the Cubans to their own devices.

I'm also not sure what you're referring to exactly, but just to be safe I'll point out Roosevelt had nothing to do with the policy towards Cuba(any possible powers of persuasion excepted). He just created a volunteer unit that participated in executing the policy.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2008-12-06, 3:18 PM #20
The United States has a very good foreign policy of placing our dick inside other nation's vaginas then leaving when the baby comes. We are the world's best Dead-Beat Dad.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2008-12-06, 3:51 PM #21
It's totally retarded that they don't make a new monetary system.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2008-12-06, 4:21 PM #22
the thing was, up until about 5 years about Zimbabwe had a thriving economy and was one of the richest countries in Africa and the vast majority of it's wealth came from farming.

Then Mugabe thought it'd be a great idea to forceably take the land off the farmers that were running them (and lets no beat around the bush here, they were mostly all white) and split up the farms and give them back to his parties supporters.

Well...that turned out great didn't it...

Zimbabwe was in the **** way way before the finanical crisis hit and has had the astronomical inflation rate for nearly a year now.
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2008-12-06, 4:47 PM #23
Originally posted by dalf:
The United States has a very good foreign policy of placing our dick inside other nation's vaginas then leaving when the baby comes. We are the world's best Dead-Beat Dad.

:omg::omg:

That's an awesome ANALogy
2008-12-06, 5:35 PM #24
im pretty siure you arent allowed to talk about sex on massassi
2008-12-06, 7:49 PM #25
yeah, "fixing" africa would be just about impossible. even when the government of one of the nations genuinely wants outside help, any aid is almost instantly bogged down with corruption and political backstabbing.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2008-12-06, 8:21 PM #26
Intercepted by a warlord.
Warhead[97]
2008-12-06, 8:25 PM #27
Yeah, Africa is just a big mess. A few countries have managed to remain stable over the years... but they're still ****ty countries. It will be interesting to see if the Obama administration makes any effort at helping out African countries... Congo's pretty screwed up right now too. Possibly even worse.
2008-12-06, 9:05 PM #28
Originally posted by dalf:

What does that have to do with Zimbabwe? :confused:
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2008-12-06, 9:17 PM #29
I've offered to buy Zimbabwe for $20, and I'm awaiting their response.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2008-12-06, 9:22 PM #30
I think we should all leave africa the hell alone. Let it work itself out, it's none of our business.
Warhead[97]
2008-12-06, 9:37 PM #31
Just give them more money, that'll fix it! Screw building factories or investing in some sort of infrastructure! :rolleyes:
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2008-12-07, 4:17 PM #32
Originally posted by 'Thrawn[numbarz:
;965476']im pretty siure you arent allowed to talk about sex on massassi

No, like most topics here, people routinely opine on things they have little to no experience with.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2008-12-07, 4:20 PM #33
Originally posted by Wookie06:
No, like most topics here, people routinely opine on things they have little to no experience with.

IRONY
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-12-07, 5:04 PM #34
Originally posted by Wookie06:

Attachment: 20694/wookie.jpg (16,202 bytes)
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2008-12-07, 5:52 PM #35
Originally posted by BobTheMasher:
I think we should all leave africa the hell alone. Let it work itself out, it's none of our business.

Thats a great mentality. Screw all those poor suffering people. Just let them die in misery. Its not my problem. :suicide:
Take that there and put it in here
2008-12-07, 6:02 PM #36
Why should it be anyone's problem but theirs? I'm tired of this stupid "we need to help all the people in the world" attitude. Most African countries are digging their own graves in many ways, why should we stop to help out these people who are just destroying themselves?
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2008-12-07, 6:10 PM #37
I dont see helping people who can't help themselves as being a "problem" rather an oppertunity to do good.
Take that there and put it in here
2008-12-07, 8:40 PM #38
Emigrate everybody to U.S then. Problem solved, and once again, America saves the day!
幻術
2008-12-07, 10:19 PM #39
Originally posted by stinkey diver:
I dont see helping people who can't help themselves as being a "problem" rather an oppertunity to do good.

Every single person on this planet has the power to help themselves. That kind of attitude of thinking everyone is helpless is what bothers me. This is different, but it's close to the people who are like, "pity me, I'm morbidly obese but it's not my fault." 99% of the time, it is.
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2008-12-07, 10:43 PM #40
Originally posted by drizzt2k2:
Why should it be anyone's problem but theirs? I'm tired of this stupid "we need to help all the people in the world" attitude. Most African countries are digging their own graves in many ways, why should we stop to help out these people who are just destroying themselves?

Sticks, rocks, and even knives don't work against guns which is the case in most of these nations. Warlords and their militias hijack nations meanwhile the remaining populace suffers.

OR

Everybody's got guns and due to their tribal nature, they shoot each other up. Ultimately what is going to save Africa is if they get rid of the concept of "tribes" and they work to better their nation or continent instead of making sure that other tribe pays because their eldest son looked at your daughter with an odd eye.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.

↑ Up to the top!