Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Zimbabwe is falling apart
Zimbabwe is falling apart
2008-12-08, 3:45 PM #41
Originally posted by stinkey diver:
Thats a great mentality. Screw all those poor suffering people. Just let them die in misery. Its not my problem. :suicide:

Our track record is a pretty strong indication that we can't help them. We're capable of easing the symptoms, but not solving the problem. That's for them to do. Meanwhile, we're pouring resources into a big burning fire. If people want to continue to pour their personal resources into the fire, that's fine, and noble; on a national level, it's none of our business. What are we going to do? Redraw the borders? Hold peace conferences? Have you got any bright ideas? Let's invade and stop all these atrocities OH WAIT THAT OBVIOUSLY DOESN'T ****ING WORK.

Were you for or against the war in Iraq? I may be incorrect and if so, I apologize, but I bet you were against it. OR at the very least, I bet you're against us being there now and/or remaining there. Guess what? It's the same deal. You want to send an army (military or not) to impose our will on the Africans, have fun fighting yet another guerilla war until the end of time, only this time the battleground is an entire continent. But no, you're right. Your mentality is better. Your way, we all get screwed over.
Warhead[97]
2008-12-08, 11:15 PM #42
While not about the particular problems in Zimbabwe, this guy has some good ideas about turning the African continent around. He notes that people never get wealthy from receiving aid. You need entrepreneurs to generate wealth within the system.

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/andrew_mwenda_takes_a_new_look_at_africa.html
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2008-12-08, 11:24 PM #43
I don't feel like listening to that whole thing right now, but I like what I'm hearing so far. Fix Africa, not with foreign aid, but with economics.
2008-12-09, 9:17 AM #44
Originally posted by Vin:
Fix Africa, not with foreign aid, but with economics.

this! foreign aid only helps till the money or food runs out. then your in the same place and need more foreign aid.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2008-12-12, 1:59 AM #45
Quote:
A ferocious cholera epidemic, spread by water contaminated with human excrement, has stricken more than 16,000 people across Zimbabwe since August and killed more than 780. President Robert G. Mugabe said Thursday that the epidemic had ended, but health experts are warning that the number of cases could surpass 60,000, and that half the country’s population of 12 million is at risk.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/12/world/africa/12cholera.html?hp

The first page of the article is sad... the second is downright depressing.

↑ Up to the top!