Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → AM and PM.. they just don't make sense.
AM and PM.. they just don't make sense.
2004-08-15, 8:07 AM #41
I prefer FM myself... better music and stuff.

------------------
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2004-08-15, 8:15 AM #42
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SG-fan:

set 2 watches to the same EXACT time, leave one at home, take the other everywhere you go. Check the time after a few weeks. They WILL be off.

</font>

I dont understand how this could work.... no matter where you take a watch, the speed it counts seconds isn't gonna increase or decrease.

the only way you could stop them being on the same timescale would be to change one of them yourself or time travel.

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.
2004-08-15, 8:23 AM #43
You must not understand relativity. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
WOOSH|-----@%
Warhead[97]
2004-08-15, 10:29 AM #44
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SG-fan:
Just to throw something into your seconds-in-a-year calculations, time is relative [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

Try it, set 2 watches to the same EXACT time, leave one at home, take the other everywhere you go. Check the time after a few weeks. They WILL be off.

</font>

Or you just let them sit right next to each other. They'll get off at some point. They're watches, not gods. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
For a healty meal, eat mashed potatoes, peas, and catloaf.
Massassi's cuttin' into my free time, man.
Valuable Life Lesson: Frog + Potato Gun = Blindness
Worship Examples - Christians' love for God should be seen and heard, not merely talked about. It is through actions that one is determined to be Christian, not through words. Words (and thoughts, as well) deceive even one's own self, but the heart speaks truth.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-08-15, 10:48 AM #45
not quite sure if you would be able to see a difference after just a few weeks travel in normal watches, maybe atomic clocks but it'd be hard to notice in your everyday watch and having to account for errors between them.

however if you went on holiday by plane from say UK to the US over a period of two weeks you'd have a better chance of seeing a change, but you'd need two IDENTICAL watches to be totaly sure....

remember reading about the leap year thing and it not being enough to put right the difference, it isn't....

Supposidly the seasons are slowly coming later each year, although hardly noticable over a generation after a few and proper records it might become apparent.

------------------
I heard someone say once that the world is a fine place and that it was worth fighting for....I agree with the last part.

People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots website

[This message has been edited by James Bond (edited August 15, 2004).]
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2004-08-15, 11:38 AM #46
I can use both...?

------------------

"Bantha's are filthy animals.......I don't eat filthy animals."

"Laugh it up Fuzzball!"
-Han Solo
2004-08-15, 12:27 PM #47
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by James Bond:
not quite sure if you would be able to see a difference after just a few weeks travel in normal watches, maybe atomic clocks but it'd be hard to notice in your everyday watch and having to account for errors between them.</font>
Yeah, like environment changes. A difference in temperature would affect it (the quartz). And moving it around probably wouldn't show anything to accurate. Not to mention it's impossible to have two truly identical watches.

------------------
For a healty meal, eat mashed potatoes, peas, and catloaf.
Massassi's cuttin' into my free time, man.
Valuable Life Lesson: Frog + Potato Gun = Blindness
Worship Examples - Christians' love for God should be seen and heard, not merely talked about. It is through actions that one is determined to be Christian, not through words. Words (and thoughts, as well) deceive even one's own self, but the heart speaks truth.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-08-15, 2:26 PM #48
OK, ok. Bad example.

We have 2 atomic clocks, one is in orbit, the other is not. They were syncronized, but have slowly gotten off.

I read this whole long thing, which included math, and it is really weird.

------------------
Sam: "Sir we can't call it 'The Enterprise'"
Jack: "Why not!"
Sam: "Sir we can't call it 'The Enterprise'"
Jack: "Why not!"
2004-08-15, 2:41 PM #49
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by KOP_Snake:
I prefer FM myself... better music and stuff.

</font>

I couldn't stop laughing. gold.
2004-08-15, 2:47 PM #50
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TheJkWhoSaysNi:
If that were true then everyones watch would be wong and would end up 3 1/2 minites wrong in just one week. That does not happen.

</font>

Modern watches are built to make up for this. Winding mechanisms of the old day also took care of this problems. That's why it was so hard to make chronometers back in the day.

------------------
free mp3 ~Jump - Young America

new album Between the Dim and the Dark available now
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-08-15, 2:57 PM #51
Seriously...did you just completely miss my last post? Or are you going to believe that our watches run fast, and that we don't use "real" minutes?

------------------
Roach - Gyring and gimbling in the wabe...
0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-08-15, 10:43 PM #52
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
I think you're not smart if you can't tell AM/PM times (unless your a Brit, because they use metric time (I think))
</font>

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
What I'm worried about is shouldn't there be some other time we have to add an extra day into some month or somthing. Surely leap year isn't THAT accurate. Isn't there some sort of dealibob where you have to do something special eevery millenium or something like that?
</font>

A year is 365 days, 5 hours, 48 minutes, and 46.02 seconds long, and the Julian Calendar is 11 minutes and 13.92 seconds too long. This gains a day every 128 years. The Gregorian Calendar is different in that centuries are NOT leap years, unless they are also divisible by four. So 2000 was a leap year, but 1900 was not. The gregorian calendar means that the year is 26 seconds longer than the actual year. This means that it takes 3000 years for us to get one day ahead. In switching from Julian to Gregorian we "lost" 11 days.
2004-08-16, 1:25 AM #53
http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~brians/errors/ampm.html

And just because I'm nice, to save you from clicking the link...

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">“AM” stands for the Latin phrase Ante Meridiem —which means “before noon”—and “PM” stands for Post Meridiem : “after noon.” Although digital clocks routinely label noon “12:00 PM” you should avoid this expression not only because it is incorrect, but because many people will imagine you are talking about midnight instead. The same goes for “12:00 AM.” Just say or write “noon” or “midnight” when you mean those precise times.

It is now rare to see periods placed after these abbreviations: “A.M.” , but in formal writing it is still preferable to capitalize them, though the lower-case “am” and “pm” are now so popular they are not likely to get you into trouble.

Occasionally computer programs encourage you to write “AM” and “PM” without a space before them, but others will misread your data if you omit the space. The nonstandard habit of omitting the space is spreading rapidly, and should be avoided in formal writing.
</font>

Don't think it'll cure your confusion, might add to it though [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

[This message has been edited by BuuBox (edited August 16, 2004).]
2004-08-16, 2:11 AM #54
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by -Monoxide-:
unless your a Brit, because they use metric time (I think)</font>

Yes, we brits use metric time, right now its 80 minutes past 30 on the 42nd of august, now lets all go have tea and biscuits! What country in the world uses metric time?

------------------
And as we wind on down the road
Our shadows taller than our souls
nope.
2004-08-16, 2:36 AM #55
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wookie06:
There is no such thing as an accurate watch or clock anyway. I'm pretty sure everyone here has noticed they occasionally must adjust the time on their watches or just deal with the inaccuracy. The earth takes precisely 23 hours, 56 minutes, and 4.2 seconds to make one rotation around itself. Google it.
</font>

You must have very crappy watches. Even a quartz-watch (don't know English word) won't even loose a second a year and an atomic clock is pretty damn accurate.

------------------
Sorry for the lousy English

[This message has been edited by Impi (edited August 16, 2004).]
Sorry for the lousy German
2004-08-16, 3:01 AM #56
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Eric2Wonderful:
...FREE HAT!

</font>

wtf?

Anyway, I kinda like military time better. But so many people are attached to the AM/PM. Like they are attached to inches and feet for measurements. :/

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

---------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info (I don't know why I have this still in my sig)
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-08-16, 3:15 AM #57
zulu4tehwin
2004-08-16, 3:12 PM #58
The thing I find quite amusing was how the TV programme '24' actually used 12 hour time.

Now that digital clocks are becoming more the norm, 12 hour time is seeming a little silly really.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-08-16, 4:51 PM #59
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Echoman:
wtf?

Anyway, I kinda like military time better. But so many people are attached to the AM/PM. Like they are attached to inches and feet for measurements. :/

</font>

I'm attached to it because that's the United States measuring standard. If we used metric, then I would be attached to that. The whole reason the US uses a different system in the first place was to differentiate us from Britain.

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
Make Sorrowind Worthwhile... join it! http://sorrowind.net
2004-08-17, 3:57 AM #60
Eh, Britain used the imperial system for a long time.

I think maybe America uses imperial to differentiate from the French. It was after the French Revolution that the metric system came about. More or less all of Europe adopted the metric system then. They're lucky, having the metric system from the start, not having everything messed up by the imperial system.

Changing from the imperial system to the metric system is ultimately necessary, but it will be very difficult for America, and Britain if they start to measure velocity in kilometres per hour rather than miles per hour.

Somehow I don't think getting rid of AM/PM is quite that hard, though. Once digital clocks start becoming the standard, AM/PM will be totally unnecessary, and it'll ween out slowly.

Most European languages say things like "Half past seventeen", and with the EU it won't be long before that is introduced into English.

[This message has been edited by Mort-Hog (edited August 17, 2004).]
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
2004-08-17, 6:11 AM #61
Note - BRITAIN DOESNT USE THE METRIC SYSTEM!!

------------------
And as we wind on down the road
Our shadows taller than our souls
nope.
2004-08-17, 7:22 AM #62
Let's get something VERY clear:

- Brits measure distance in miles our road signs are all in miles. We only use kilometers for scientific purposes when metric makes things easier.

- Most Brits measure their weight for the most part in stone, there are 14 lbs per stone. My weight is 10 stone.

- Most Brits measure their height in feet and inches. Only a few measure their height in metres.

- Food is quite often weighed in pounds and ounces in England, although grams are getting used more often these days.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-08-17, 7:41 AM #63
Britain is doing a much better job of going metric than America, anyway.

I'm seeing more and more distances and heighs being measured in metres. If ever I'm given a measurement in inches or yards, I do ask what that is in metres and I usually get an answer. In shops and things I always see stuff weighed in kilograms, or at least both.

Britain going from "miles per hour" to "kilometres per hour" as in Europe is going to be the biggest challenge, simply because of the logistics involved in changing all the signs and things. I think all car speedometers display both, so that shouldn't be a problem.
2004-08-17, 11:37 AM #64
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
Britain is doing a much better job of going metric than America, anyway.</font>

That's not hard to do. Just make some effort and you're doing much better than the U.S.

------------------
Roach - Gyring and gimbling in the wabe...
0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-08-17, 11:42 AM #65
yeah... last time i checked... the US wasnt making any big steps to go metric... so if brits think they're winning that race, then the joke is on them.

------------------
There are two asses in Massassi... and I'm one of them.
The Matrix Unplugged|My Portfolio|My Levels
2004-08-17, 12:25 PM #66
I wasn't aware anyone thought it was a race. I'm in no hurry to go metric. It makes no difference to me.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-08-17, 2:47 PM #67
Really, getting rid of imperial can't be done soon enough.
It's frankly ridiculous that people still use such an utterly archaic and downright senseless system. The change to a decimal system should have started hundreds of years ago (and did for most of the world).

Britain and America are really going to be left behind if they don't start working things out.
2004-08-17, 2:51 PM #68
Yes. I'd prefer metric for everything too.

------------------
╔═════════════╦══════════════════╗
║ TheJkWhoSaysNi║ -----@% (Snail racing. ) .║
╠═════════════╩══════════════════╣
║Warning: This post may contain traces of nut║
╚════════════════════════════════╝
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2004-08-17, 11:53 PM #69
hooray!

↑ Up to the top!