Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Old topic (/ranting) but...
Old topic (/ranting) but...
2008-12-27, 12:35 PM #1
Anyone think parts of the Dark Knight weren't cut well?
I just got it on Bluray last night, and my dad and I watched it.

I'm talking about the big action sequence with the cars and such. I'm specifically referring to Batman's Batpod shooting at the mall door, then driving through the mall to reach the joker.

First he shoots the mall door, then he's going up a ramp...(what?), then he goes through the mall door(again...what?), then through the mall, then magically he's 50-100 feet past the second mall door.

This same style was used in the first Batman (Begins), but I thought it was a little more prevalent here, with skipping ahead and such to get a certain atmosphere or drive the scene.

I got the same feeling shortly after the mall: when Batman is driving down a street or something, then suddenly he's shooting at a dumpster bin while going down an alley (without turning into the alley--just happens to be there-- and the dumpster looks too big for his batpod to get around), then he's crashing into the street where the joker's truck is.

These just seemed like big mishaps for such a great movie. It just didn't make alot of sense to me.

And yes, I think it was one of the best movies of all time. I'm just being nitpicky.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2008-12-27, 1:17 PM #2
Yes, yes, it's poorly cut. There are worse things than you mention, though, like the police van that magically fixes itself, and the fact that it falls into that five-minutes-takes-an-hour trope.
2008-12-27, 1:23 PM #3
Eh. The most weird editing part was when Batman was talking to Morgan Freeman about the massive sonar-cell phone eavesdropping device, he was using his deep Batman voice. Why? Morgan knows who Bruce Wayne is, and no one else was around.

That bothered me alot for some reason.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-12-27, 1:51 PM #4
The worst part is how batman does zero detective work and instead decides to use his magic batman cellphone eyes.
2008-12-27, 1:51 PM #5
Originally posted by JM:
and the fact that it falls into that five-minutes-takes-an-hour trope.

This is what always bothers me the most about movies.
2008-12-27, 2:18 PM #6
I always thought that was cool about Aliens. When Ripley has 15 minutes until the world blows up, it's actually fifteen minutes.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2008-12-27, 2:28 PM #7
Originally posted by Tracer:
I always thought that was cool about Aliens. When Ripley has 15 minutes until the world blows up, it's actually fifteen minutes.

I actually counted it with a stopwatch once, if I remember correctly it was pretty much accurate. Kinda sad of me, huh? :(
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2008-12-27, 2:36 PM #8
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
Eh. The most weird editing part was when Batman was talking to Morgan Freeman about the massive sonar-cell phone eavesdropping device, he was using his deep Batman voice. Why? Morgan knows who Bruce Wayne is, and no one else was around.

That bothered me alot for some reason.

He dipped into his 'batman' voice alot, pretty much anytime he got excited. I remember hearing it when he was talking to Alfred a few times.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2008-12-27, 2:36 PM #9
well sometimes in movies 5 minutes takes longer because they have to show a few things that are all going on at the same time.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2008-12-27, 2:46 PM #10
I don't have much to say about the editing of TDK, but I do think the movie was pretty flawed all around. It tried to cram too many stories into one film, the sonar cell phone thing was overdone and pointless, and it neglected an awesome villain. All of which isn't to say that I didn't enjoy the movie, but I really don't think that it's objectively the great movie that everyone makes it out to be.
2008-12-27, 3:39 PM #11
I think you all read into movies too much. Just watch the damn thing and enjoy it.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2008-12-27, 3:54 PM #12
Originally posted by Onimusha.:
I think you all read into movies too much. Just watch the damn thing and enjoy it.

^- You missed an opportunity to say "Why so serious?" ;)
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2008-12-27, 6:00 PM #13
The only part the really annoyed me about The Dark Knight and Batman Begins was how they stuck annoying characters into the action sequences with no purpose other than to say a useless peice of dialog. In TDK it was the passanger in the police van transporting Dent who had to say something stupid about everything, in Begins it was that guy at the water plant that kept repeating what was going on, like the audience is so brain dead to not have noticed.
2008-12-27, 6:18 PM #14

I thought that was part of the whole addicted to being Batman thing.
He was talking about putting his cloak away and being a normal person, but it was obvious he never could.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2008-12-28, 1:25 AM #15
I'm thinking that there should be a third batman... and I've seen rumors that there will be, but I want to be a final installment, where we can see an end to batman's story. One thing that has always bothered me is that batman, is always batman... can't he take a break?

Another thing that also bugs me... Robin. I hate this character. I never liked him, he's not fun, his outfit is ridiculous, and batman doesn't need him.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2008-12-28, 1:28 AM #16
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
. One thing that has always bothered me is that batman, is always batman... can't he take a break?

He tried to in Dark Knight but it became obvious that he could never take a break.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2008-12-28, 1:39 AM #17
The cuts bothered me a lot when I saw it for the first time but I get used to weirdness pretty fast so they didn't bother me that much on the second time and after that.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2008-12-28, 3:22 AM #18
The Sonar thing was due to the fact that They'd tried detective work to find the Joker and it didnt work.

No one knew who he was, where he lived, who his friends were etc.

He used the cell phone thing as the only way to try get one step ahead of the Joker.

The cutting for the batpod was there to say "Hey I'm batman I'm going to get there in ways the police wouldnt"
2008-12-28, 11:03 AM #19
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
I'm thinking that there should be a third batman... and I've seen rumors that there will be, but I want to be a final installment, where we can see an end to batman's story. One thing that has always bothered me is that batman, is always batman... can't he take a break?

Another thing that also bugs me... Robin. I hate this character. I never liked him, he's not fun, his outfit is ridiculous, and batman doesn't need him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_Beyond

The cartoon series are considered canon, and as such he DOES technically take a break. Though he resides at a command center to lend aide to the new Batman.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2008-12-28, 11:09 AM #20
Originally posted by Jin:
The only part the really annoyed me about The Dark Knight and Batman Begins was how they stuck annoying characters into the action sequences with no purpose other than to say a useless peice of dialog. In TDK it was the passanger in the police van transporting Dent who had to say something stupid about everything, in Begins it was that guy at the water plant that kept repeating what was going on, like the audience is so brain dead to not have noticed.

The second example really bugged me. IF THEY DON'T STOP THAT TRAIN THIS WHOLE STATION IS GONNA BLOOOOW!

With the first, it was just to show that the driver WASN'T talking, so we should be suspicious of him. That said, the dialogue could have been better instead of "Oh come on?!" Might as well put Gob Bluth in the passenger seat.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2008-12-28, 11:21 AM #21
I'm probably going to be lynched for this but honestly the film wasn't as good as everyone says it was.

The Joker was, but the rest of the film was kind of meh.
nope.
2008-12-28, 11:33 AM #22
You know what annoyed me the most out of this movie?
The Bike.
WTF .... Seeing a UFO pop up would have been more realistic than the whole bike deal.
2008-12-28, 11:38 AM #23
...They actually built that.
nope.
2008-12-28, 11:40 AM #24
Are you ****ting me?
So IRL the new bat-mobile that drove around, could have a pop off bike that also worked?
2008-12-28, 11:41 AM #25
Christopher Nolan is very keen on practical effects, he goes as far as to make them actually work as they're meant to. Flipping the semi, the bat pod (albeit very difficult to drive), and the bat mobile were all built and were fully functional.
2008-12-28, 11:43 AM #26
Wow that's really cool. I thought that was a bunch of BS.
2008-12-28, 11:56 AM #27
Originally posted by Baconfish:
The Joker was, but the rest of the film was kind of meh.

p. much.

Terrible action, pacing, writing, directing and editing. I actually thought the Joker was forced in bits but the blame is definitely in the writing. Morgan Freeman was enjoyable as always (but he's like Sean Connery - the only character he plays is himself).

Batman's gadgets were retarded and the people who came up with them are ugly. The batpod is stupid and it breaks continuity with the last movie. The reason we don't airlift that way is because the amount of force imparted to the human skeleton is (depending on the elasticity of the wire) the same as getting hit by the plane, which is p confusing since just 20 minutes earlier Batman did not seem to enjoy hitting a concrete pillar while hanging onto a slow-moving van. The cell phone stuff is the worst thing to find its way into any Batman movie ever. At least Batman and Robin wasn't trying to portray itself as gritty and/or realistic.
2008-12-28, 1:38 PM #28
Jeez, and to think you were all starwars fans at some point or another to sign up for this forum.. I can't imagine how you'd ridicule those movies nowadays. If you really think TDK was bad, rewatch episode 1-3, or any of your favorite scifi related shows for that matter.

Its not the science of the movie that makes it good, maybe for you House types (most of you) it is, but its about how the movie captivates your imagination as a whole. If you sit there and try to pick it apart your always going to end up with the same thing.. actors, props, and camera that cost 25k+ a pop.

Its like looking at a monet or van gough or ANY art and calling it garbage because they didnt use a Xerox toner photo printer and photoshop.

Some of you would find a way to whine about something scientificially proven to be perfect, just to whine about it.

Eesh. Pull the stick out of your asses and enjoy the damn movie :rolleyes:
-Martyn
2008-12-28, 2:31 PM #29
Onimusha., as you grow up and move out into the real world you will discover that there are some people who do not enjoy the same things you do. As a corollary, you will discover that there are some people who enjoy things you don't.

For example, I (and several other people on this forum) enjoy picking movies apart based on technical and other merits. I may have specific tastes in movies or heightened expectations that were not met. For a variety of reasons, I also enjoy talking about what I disliked about a movie. This particular thread, in fact, was created specifically for criticism of this particular movie, and if anybody on this forum had any inclination to criticize any portion of this particular movie then this thread is the ideal place to post such comments. Someone who believes this movie does not merit criticism would have done well to avoid a conversation about the subject as opposed to metaphorically vomiting his extra chromosomes all over the place in his efforts to render a defense.

As an additional example, I do not enjoy drinking gasoline or blunt trauma to the back of my head. I don't criticize you for enjoying these activities, so why do you feel the need to criticize us for our chosen means of entertainment? You may feel that a popcorn action movie is comparable to a Monet but I would strongly disagree, just like how you would disagree if I suggested that only people without extreme self-inflicted brain damage should be allowed to have opinions.
2008-12-28, 3:05 PM #30
Ah yes the personal attacks, so becoming of you jon. -applause-

As for the other things, most people in the "real world" as you like to call it, found this movie to be quite enjoyable. I do understand there are a few of your type who like to pick apart movies until theres nothing left, there will always be that small un-entertainable lot. But if you'd like to bring the "real world" into play then we should take a look at the stats -- reviews, movie sales, etc etc which clearly speak for themselves as to how the "real world" feels about the movie, contrary to the small group you belong to which would rather knitpick it to death. That is, unless you'd like to try to rationalize factual statistics whilst continuing to hurl pebbles, you can always do that too.

Rather then me having to realize other people are entitled to opinions, I think it is you who should realize not everyone has to follow your elitist approach to everything, lest they join your "drinking gasoline or blunt trauma to the back of my head" crowd.
-Martyn
2008-12-28, 3:11 PM #31
looks tame, did anything you allude to get edited out?
2008-12-28, 3:23 PM #32
Originally posted by Onimusha.:
As for the other things, most people in the "real world" as you like to call it, found this movie to be quite enjoyable. The stats, movie sales, etc etc speak for themselves, unless you'd like to try to rationalize factual statistics whilst continuing to hurl pebbles, as well.

No, I'm not a pop culture-obsessed mouthbreather with an IQ under 60 so I don't feel a particular need to rationalize my personal preferences with market statistics. If every other person on the planet felt like the movie was an unparalleled masterpiece it wouldn't affect my opinion. That's what makes my opinion an opinion. It's also what leads me to believe that yours is really just a knee-jerk reaction to having your societally-imprinted conformist viewpoint questioned.

Edit:

Quote:
Rather then me having to realize other people are entitled to opinions, I think it is you who should realize not everyone has to follow your elitist blah blah blah blah blah

I don't think you understand how free thinking and freedom of speech work. Under modern social frameworks I don't have to give up a damn thing. You, on the other hand, need to understand and cope with the fact that people will sometimes form and express opinions you disagree with. People will say things that you might even consider personally offensive. Disagreeing with a statement on the merit that it shouldn't be expressed is puerile.
2008-12-28, 3:48 PM #33
Onimusha, you seem to be under the impression that the only way someone could dislike this movie was to go into it looking for ways to criticize it.

On the contrary, I went in fully expecting to enjoy the show but came out unsatisfied. To try to understand why that was, I reflect on it, criticize it, and participate in discussions like this one. Turns out there were a number of things that make it a very flawed movie (given what I expect a movie should do), and one of them was the cellphone bit. Not the science of it (movies ignore science all the time; who cares?) but the fact that it was poorly integrated into the plot and felt like a half-assed attempt at throwing in a "sometimes even good guys have to cross the line" trope.

If you can get past jon's personal attacks (which you should be used to by now), you'd recognize that he has good points. We didn't like a movie that you did, and we know why. Get over it.
2008-12-28, 3:58 PM #34
Does it classify as a deus ex machina? I thought it did.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-12-28, 5:03 PM #35
Even though there's some things I don't like about it, I really love The Dark Knight. It surprised me a bit too, since I wasn't that impressed with Batman Begins.
2008-12-28, 5:34 PM #36
Its weird how much BB and TDK are apples and oranges to the other. They're completely different feels. Granted much of BB took place in the Narrows. TDK is more like Heat with a Batman skin.
2008-12-28, 10:25 PM #37
I have to say this... but I saw the movie only recently when I rented it. I did not see it in theaters or was expecting it to be that good. The trailer was cool, but I had other interests at the time. So, when I saw it, I loved it.

There is no pop influence here. In fact I showed it to a couple friends who don't like batman, and they loved it too.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2008-12-28, 10:52 PM #38
Does it classify as a deus ex machina? I thought it did.

I'm not sure, but it comes close. I thought it came out of nowhere.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-12-29, 12:02 AM #39
Originally posted by Jon`C:
As a corollary...

all this time i thought that a corollary was a tasty leafy green plant used in southern cooking :confused:
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2008-12-29, 12:23 AM #40
what

↑ Up to the top!