Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Hmmm... time to loose weight...
Hmmm... time to loose weight...
2009-01-14, 12:36 AM #1
So this winter, I've put on some weight, which bothers me. I was once VERY overweight, and I lost it. Now it seems I'm headed that way again, and I don't want that.

I've started a burrito stand near my house, which takes time away from me which I used before to do excersise, this should improve in a week or two. As for diet, well, I've already cut all sodas and beer out, for now. Unfortunately the food I eat usually is burritos of pork, or beef, or gorditas, of chicken, pork, or ground beef with potatoes...

This has pretty much been my diet for the last few weeks, ocassionaly something new would come up, like a soup or something.

Too much flower in the gorditas and burritos... anyhow, dr massassi, what other suggestions have ye?
Nothing to see here, move along.
2009-01-14, 12:40 AM #2
I have the opposite problem. I'm losing weight and don't need to. .(
woot!
2009-01-14, 12:52 AM #3
loose jokes in 3...2...1....
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2009-01-14, 1:03 AM #4
Originally posted by JLee:
I have the opposite problem. I'm losing weight and don't need to. .(

How?
Nothing to see here, move along.
2009-01-14, 1:25 AM #5
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
How?

Beats me. I guess I need to eat more.
woot!
2009-01-14, 1:26 AM #6
Originally posted by JLee:
Beats me. I guess I need to eat more.

And move less. ;)
2009-01-14, 1:35 AM #7
Originally posted by Martyn:
And move less. ;)

I don't exercise a whole lot, either..I have to work hard to put on weight. It annoys the hell out of some people.. :D
woot!
2009-01-14, 4:23 AM #8
HOW'D YOU LIKE THEM PILLOWY KUNG FU PUNCH?!
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2009-01-14, 6:28 AM #9
BURRITO STAND
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-01-14, 6:32 AM #10
Weight gain/loss is based almost entirely on nutrition. If you want to gain - eat more. If you want to lose, eat less. It's more complicated than that, but it's a pretty good rule of thumb.

To learn more go to this AWESOME site, [url]www.theiflife.com[/url]. TONS of great nutritional information there. SF_Gold - Maybe IF (Intermittent Fasting) is something you should check out.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2009-01-14, 8:03 AM #11
Aside from proper diet, the only way to burn fat effectively is cardio. The best cardio workout for burning fat is called "interval training". You can apply it to anything, even weightlifting, however for your purpose of losing fat it works perfectly. So it does not matter if you're running, cycling, using an elliptical, swimming, weightlifting, etc.

Start out @ a very nice slow pace, very easy going. Go for about 1-2 minutes @ this pace, then when you reach the 1-2 minute mark you ramp up the speed to 95% of your maximum limit, literally you push your *** as hard and fast as you can go for about another minute or minute and a half (if you can go 2, that's fantastic, but you wont be able to at first probably). After this, reduce the speed immediately back down to the previous slow and easy going pace for another 1 or 2 minutes.. Rinse, repeat this cycle for your entire workout.

You'll notice the fat burning off quicker than if you just did straight up Cardio. Olympians and pretty much every hard core trainer/sports team/athlete in general out there utilizes Interval training and it's finally becoming recognized as one of the most efficient work out methods out there.

Aside from that if you wanted to compound the weight loss of the cardio, start bulking up and adding muscle. The more muscle you have, the more you can eat because the more calories you burn. A hardcore weightlifter eats around god knows how many calories a day, but hell even their protein drinks can have up to 1100 calories PER DRINK from what I've seen @ the GNC. If you check out GNC, you can see some of the labels. But these are for the SERIOUS weight lifters, as in Mr. Universe and stuff. However as an example it just goes to show you what I am talking about how the more muscle you have, the more efficient your body is at burning fat. For yourself you don't need any of this crap but if you put on muscle, you WILL drop pounds that much faster.

Basically, cardio + weightlifting = win in so many ways.
2009-01-14, 9:53 AM #12
I know when I used to do powerlifting + offseason in school, I could eat 4 or 5 full sized meals a day (I would literally eat lunch in my classes then eat again during lunch). For 4 straight years my weight never varied more than 7lbs from 160lbs.

Now... I barely exercise, eat more than I should, and have put on a good 20lbs or so. Hoping to buy a mountain bike this week since thousands of reps of squats over the years crippled my knees endurance.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-01-14, 11:46 AM #13
Jlee, I have the same problem xD

Simply put, I eat quite a lot. I don't eat breakfast or lunch, but I definitely make up for it in snacks later in the night (pizza pops, chicken wraps, and that kind of junk). I also eat lots and lots of bread.

I just burn through the food so fast, I never have time to put any weight on lol

Doesn't mean I'm fit though. I'm out of shape, for sure. Just still 123lbs.
2009-01-14, 12:46 PM #14
por que more like porky
Attachment: 20941/sf_goldg_01.jpg (129,689 bytes)
2009-01-14, 12:50 PM #15
Not a single one, I'm disappointed in you guys
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2009-01-14, 2:35 PM #16
LOOSE THAT WEIGHT baby
2009-01-14, 2:39 PM #17
I don't understand what you mean by loose weights. Are you perhaps talking about free weights?
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2009-01-14, 2:48 PM #18
I seem to stay around 150. I'm at 155 right now, I'm getting a little chubby because I quit my labor job and became a jobless bum eating ramen noodles and pizza.
I can actually pinch my belly fat now and it saddens me. I need to make use of that gym membership now .... I used to live in a house with a ton of weights and some other guys really into fitness so it was easy to work out then. But I just don't work out as well without music blasting (headphones suck) and grunting really loud. screaming and grunting gives you super human strength, but PF doesn't like it when you do that.

You can eat anything you want, IMO, as long as you are burning calories. Did you see the special on Michael Phelps? He would eat garbage all day long. I ate corn dogs and burritos (Cosco cheap food, buy a buttload stuff them in freezer) and was in great shape working out twice a day. I also used a ton of supplements and protean (When Myoplex 42g 4packs were 5 bucks, 12 is the cheapest I can find now, screw that) though, so that might have countered the junk food.

Eat whatever you want, just hit the gym.
2009-01-14, 3:03 PM #19
I think he's gonna loose his weight upon the world or something.
2009-01-14, 3:37 PM #20
Originally posted by Temperamental:
Aside from proper diet, the only way to burn fat effectively is cardio.

No. (Although Interval Training is HIGHLY effective)

Quote:
Eat whatever you want, just hit the gym.

No.

Weight loss is 80% diet. You can lounge around and do NOTHING all day long if your diet reflects this.

Right now, I'm doing a program called Starting Strength. It's primarily olympic lifts, trying to do 3 sets of 5 reps of max weight (and then building up to this). The other component of SS is increasing caloric intake. By a crapload. It's recommended that, in addition to eating as much as you can, drink a gallon of whole milk a day. For about $3.00, I can consume 2400 calories. That's DAMN cheap for a LOT of calories. I'm getting about 4000 calories a day, and I'm steadily able to increase my lifts by 5# every workout. The 4000 calories gives my body the fuel it needs to strengthen muscle this rapidly. The author of SS makes another suggestion at a way to get calories - the "Big Mac" diet. Big Macs have about 600 calories... eating 3 a day, plus a gallon of milk, is 4200 calories a day.

He makes it clear - this isn't the healthiest way to do SS, but it is pretty easy way.

When you get to "elite athlete" levels, it doesn't matter what you eat. You just need to get calories any way you can. Gallon of milk a day, 4 or 5 big macs a day, the "Michael Phelps" diet. Elite athletes are training 4, 5, 6, 7 hours a day. Their body will just rip through anything they give it.

SF_Gold is not an elite athlete. No one here is. I'm doing this program, and as soon as I go off SS, I'm going to go back to Intermittent Fasting, where I end up eating a lot less every day.

Eating healthy is not only putting better stuff in your body, but often it's easier to cut down on caloric intake with healthy food. If you have a dinner of steamed broccoli, corn, almonds, salmon and water to drink, versus a dinner of a big mac, large fries, and a large soda... you're going to have a HUGE difference in caloric intake.

Eat healthier, lose weight. Working out helps a lot, but diet is MOST of what will effect weight loss.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2009-01-14, 3:48 PM #21
Yea, after my post I figured someone would pick up on that statement, happydud, as I thought again about it.
In my experience, my body is more effected by physical activity than diet. I realize people have different metabolisms. I can eat bad foods and do little to nothing, and not gain weight. 5 months of bad diet and almost no physical activity has barely given me 5 pounds. If I wanted to reverse that, I'd start working out, not change my diet. Far from "elite" but when I mentioned corn dogs and burritos, I was running every day, two weight sessions (early afternoon, late night), and pushups and crunches throught the day, in the high hundreds. So maybe that was it, not that I am immune to eating garbage.
2009-01-14, 4:08 PM #22
I'm a stick.. and I can still pinch my belly fat.
It's more like skin, but whatever.
2009-01-14, 4:13 PM #23
Originally posted by happydud:
Working out helps a lot, but diet is MOST of what will effect weight loss.

Biologically speaking, using more calories than consuming is what creates weight loss. That can be achieved through diet, exercise or both, depending on the activity level of the person.

Whatever you do, avoid fads. There's no reason you should ever need to go into stores like GNC. You don't need protein bars, creatine and other crap to be fit.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-01-14, 4:15 PM #24
If all you eat is fast food, you can exercise all you want, but all that sodium, grease, sugar...blech.

I've dropped about 100 pounds in a little over a year by eating the following:

• Breakfast: nonfat yogurt, light applesauce or fruit cup
  • Lunch: Turkey, cheese, and honey mustard on wheat, cut up of nonfat yogurt, and a cup of sugar-free JELL-O
  • Supper: 5-6/7 days of the week, < 600 calories (mac & cheese, hot dog, soup, wrap, sandwich), the rest I eat out with friends

I try to play racquetball about three days a week, but, even if I can't do that, I still manage to lose weight, even at around 185.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2009-01-14, 4:20 PM #25
Originally posted by Wolfy:
If all you eat is fast food, you can exercise all you want, but all that sodium, grease, sugar...blech.

That's not entirely true. Compared calorie for calorie with any other food, fast food is not "harder to burn off."
2009-01-14, 4:24 PM #26
Yes but it still won't exactly be nice on your organs.
nope.
2009-01-14, 4:48 PM #27
I have no idea what you're talking about.
Attachment: 20942/menu.jpg (31,302 bytes)
2009-01-14, 4:50 PM #28
Originally posted by Emon:
That's not entirely true. Compared calorie for calorie with any other food, fast food is not "harder to burn off."

To clarify - it's not a matter of how "hard it is to burn off." It's a matter of fast food has a CRAPLOAD of calories, whereas healthier foods tend to not have very many calories.

If you're seriously interested, I'm going to suggest using [url]www.fitday.com[/url]. It's a great website where you record what you eat and about how much, and it gives you a breakdown of calories, fat/protein/carb ratios, and all sorts of other great information.

It's FANTASTIC for keeping track of your food intake.

Another alternative I came up with today - Twitter. Make a twitter account (SF_Gold_Foodlog) and text it to update it with everything you eat. This is an easy way to keep a food log, and then you can look back and see JUST how much soda or french fries or broccoli you eat.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2009-01-14, 4:50 PM #29
Pfft, Lard.

Real Men use BEEF DRIPPING.
nope.
2009-01-14, 4:56 PM #30
LOL, this thread started off so awesome
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2009-01-14, 4:57 PM #31
Originally posted by Emon:

It's more that I can't believe for a second that food that high in sodium and fat is good for you - less the weight gain and more the wear & tear on the body.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2009-01-14, 9:02 PM #32
i just went to the gym today after like 3 months of not working out. lifted for like an hour. then decided i wanted to do the stupid stair lifter, 3 minutes fast. uh stopped. almost fainted. i miss summer/spring weather when i could just run outside. -_-
Peace is a lie
There is only passion
Through passion I gain strength
Through strength I gain power
Through power I gain victory
Through victory my chains are broken
The Force shall set me free
2009-01-14, 9:18 PM #33
Originally posted by happydud:
To clarify - it's not a matter of how "hard it is to burn off." It's a matter of fast food has a CRAPLOAD of calories, whereas healthier foods tend to not have very many calories.

Yes, that's what I was trying to say.
2009-01-14, 9:29 PM #34
I need to gain some weight myself. I just started playing for a hockey team for the first time in like 6 years. At 6'0 140lbs (and thats dripping wet), I'm the smallest guy on the team by a country mile. Despite the fact that myself and a couple of other weak players joined the club, we did move up a division last semester and I'll have my work cut out for me next semester...

I'm doing the lifts from starting strength as well, however I simply don't eat anywhere near enough to add 5 lbs to each lift per workout. I eat ~3000 calories with plenty of protein in there, so I'll probably still gain 1/4-1/2 lb per week anyways. Hopefully I can get my diet in check soon and start making real progress, it's just so damn hard for me to eat that much. I go to a gym of powerlifters, and it's pretty embarassing to be struggling to crank out a 95lb bench when theres huge guys next to you lifting 160lb dumbells in each hand and benching 225 without a spot.
2009-01-14, 9:35 PM #35
Weight lifting is a terrible way to lose weight. All you do is encourage your body to put on unnatural muscle mass. You will become a disgusting, gigantic, muscle bound mess that can't even touch its toes.

Try yoga. It will make you stronger without sacrificing flexibility. And it won't make you hurt, either.
2009-01-14, 9:57 PM #36
please tell me that wasnt a serious post
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2009-01-14, 10:00 PM #37
MB, I think we can agree that you will become disgusting.
2009-01-14, 10:01 PM #38
I already am disgusting shut up stop making fun of me :(
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2009-01-14, 10:04 PM #39
yogas p. gay
2009-01-14, 10:50 PM #40
damn this thread makes me want a burrito
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!

↑ Up to the top!