Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Hmmm... time to loose weight...
Hmmm... time to loose weight...
2009-01-15, 12:29 AM #41
Originally posted by JM:
Weight lifting is a terrible way to lose weight. All you do is encourage your body to put on unnatural muscle mass. You will become a disgusting, gigantic, muscle bound mess that can't even touch its toes.

Try yoga. It will make you stronger without sacrificing flexibility. And it won't make you hurt, either.

You can lift weights without becoming a musclebound mess. High rep/low weight workouts do not bulk you up. Even when doing reps of 10-12, you will not get huge, just stronger.

More muscle also equals more calories burned.
Pissed Off?
2009-01-15, 2:10 AM #42
- Eat 3-4 smallish meals a day, mostly veg.
- Just because you can gain an equal calorie intake eating just 2 meals of fast food, doesn't mean this is a suitable option
Exercise 10-30 minutes every day, but a few times a week at the minimum.

I don't do this because I'm lazy, but it's amazing how many people complain about gaining weight and DON'T do the basics.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2009-01-15, 5:06 AM #43
I'm sitting at 5'10"ish and just less than 10.5 stone. I've changed my diet from no breakfast (or occasional bacon and egg sandwich), then at dinner a sandwich with lots of reclaimed meat + mayo with crisps (chips to you lovely yankees) and a chocolate bar, THEN god knows what for tea, usually something frozen ...

TO:

Breakfast = toast or cereal
Dinner = sandwich on granary bread with fruit + fat free yoghurt
Tea = something nice and fresh and cooked by me (tonight is chicken thighs and tomatoes and new potatoes.

Coupled with a desire to get out on my shiny new mountain bike I might actually shift the little paunch I'm getting from too much ale.

Oh, and the beer now == vodka + ice.

So I might start to look like I used too (but with less hair)
2009-01-15, 7:34 AM #44
Originally posted by Connection Problem:

I'm doing the lifts from starting strength as well, however I simply don't eat anywhere near enough to add 5 lbs to each lift per workout. I eat ~3000 calories with plenty of protein in there,

Are you doing the milk thing? As gross as it is, it really is SUCH an easy way to get an extra 2400 calories a day for $3...

Quote:
it's just so damn hard for me to eat that much. I go to a gym of powerlifters, and it's pretty embarassing to be struggling to crank out a 95lb bench when theres huge guys next to you lifting 160lb dumbells in each hand and benching 225 without a spot.

Don't feel embarassed. Everyone started out there. Once you show that you're dedicated and that you go regularly, I think it's more likely they'll be glad to see you there.

Quote:
Weight lifting is a terrible way to lose weight. All you do is encourage your body to put on unnatural muscle mass. You will become a disgusting, gigantic, muscle bound mess that can't even touch its toes.

Try yoga. It will make you stronger without sacrificing flexibility. And it won't make you hurt, either.

Actually, fail. Doing yoga (or any kind of serious stretching routine) without strength training CAN hurt you.

Flexibility is nothing more than stretching out muscles to allow them to go further. This can be good, but it can also have negative side effects. If all of your shoulder muscles are more flexible, it can destabilize the joint, allowing it to move into positions that could be dangerous.

If you strengthen your muscles as they become more flexible, they will maintain their joint staying-in-place abilities, while also allowing for a greater degree of movement.

Quote:
"Strengthen what you stretch, and stretch after you strengthen!"

The reason for this is that flexibility training on a regular basis causes connective tissues to stretch which in turn causes them to loosen (become less taut) and elongate. When the connective tissue of a muscle is weak, it is more likely to become damaged due to overstretching, or sudden, powerful muscular contractions. The likelihood of such injury can be prevented by strengthening the muscles bound by the connective tissue.

and

Quote:
As you get "looser" or more limber in a particular joint, less support is given to the joint by its surrounding muscles. Excessive flexibility can be just as bad as not enough because both increase your risk of injury.

Once a muscle has reached its absolute maximum length, attempting to stretch the muscle further only serves to stretch the ligaments and put undue stress upon the tendons (two things that you do not want to stretch). Ligaments will tear when stretched more than 6% of their normal length. Tendons are not even supposed to be able to lengthen. Even when stretched ligaments and tendons do not tear, loose joints and/or a decrease in the joint's stability can occur (thus vastly increasing your risk of injury).

source: http://www.cmcrossroads.com/bradapp/docs/rec/stretching/stretching_3.html#SEC26

There easiest way to prevent excess hypertrophy is to stretch after every workout. This elongates the muscle fibers and returns them to their natural lengths. Giant bodybuilder muscles tend to be a result of not stretching and focusing on individual muscles (bicep curls) as opposed to compound lifts (squats).

Look at gymnasts. I would argue that, of all athletes, they are the strongest. Almost all olympic level gymnasts weight train... do you find their bodies gross and unnatural looking?
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2009-01-15, 11:25 AM #45
I've lost about 20lbs since June. (lol mbfat lol)

How? Well mostly I had happydud yelling at me to eat better and things.

I don't drink as much beer, and I definitely eat way better. AKA no more of these: http://flickr.com/photos/dangler/224230448/ (Yes it looks gross but its actually pretty tasty)

The other thing I try to do is 30 minutes of exercise a day. Pullups / Pushups / weights / Planks.

JM - The extremes youre talking about sound more like someone doing too many steroids :P
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2009-01-15, 4:31 PM #46
Originally posted by happydud:
Are you doing the milk thing? As gross as it is, it really is SUCH an easy way to get an extra 2400 calories a day for $3...

I wish I could drink that much milk - I love the stuff! But that's almost 200 grams of sugar per day, from the milk alone. That would murder me. Even though milk has a pretty low GI that is such a large quantity of milk that would definitely lead to an imbalance for me. I drink about one large glass per day and a protein shake.

Dietary restrictions FTL here! :(
2009-01-16, 3:13 PM #47
That actually looks tasty MB...

all this week I've been missing out on meals, going around and buying supplies, doing errands, etc etc....

Bah, I should try to do more excersise.

I'd love to do pull ups, but its nearly impossible for me to do it, dunno why...

I can do a good 3-4 sections of 15 push ups with no problem, and can easily do other things etc... but pull ups, nope.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2009-01-16, 3:15 PM #48
sets of 15 push ups isn't really very many.
Pissed Off?
2009-01-16, 3:49 PM #49
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
That actually looks tasty MB...

all this week I've been missing out on meals, going around and buying supplies, doing errands, etc etc....

Bah, I should try to do more excersise.

I'd love to do pull ups, but its nearly impossible for me to do it, dunno why...

I can do a good 3-4 sections of 15 push ups with no problem, and can easily do other things etc... but pull ups, nope.

It is tasty... kind of. Also really bad for you :P

Don't miss meals though. They're important!

As for the pull ups - Try getting a pullup bar and hanging it in your doorway. You might not be able to do them at first, but the more you try the easier they'll get!!
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2009-01-16, 4:16 PM #50
Quote:
Actually, fail. Doing yoga (or any kind of serious stretching routine) without strength training CAN hurt you.

Flexibility is nothing more than stretching out muscles to allow them to go further. This can be good, but it can also have negative side effects. If all of your shoulder muscles are more flexible, it can destabilize the joint, allowing it to move into positions that could be dangerous.

If you strengthen your muscles as they become more flexible, they will maintain their joint staying-in-place abilities, while also allowing for a greater degree of movement.

It's pretty clear you've never actually done yoga, because you know absolutely nothing about it. It's not just stretching. It builds balance and strength, it stabilizes joints, not destabilize. It works all the little support muscles your weight lifting doesn't, and it can give even the strongest person a hell of a workout, without abusing your muscles or joints the way weight lifting does.

And now that I'm thinking a bit more about it, I'm finding that very few of the poses actually stretch anything! And the ones that do concentrate on the thighs, while you're talking about shoulders.
2009-01-16, 4:37 PM #51
Originally posted by JM:
It's pretty clear you've never actually done yoga, because you know absolutely nothing about it. It's not just stretching. It builds balance and strength, it stabilizes joints, not destabilize. It works all the little support muscles your weight lifting doesn't, and it can give even the strongest person a hell of a workout, without abusing your muscles or joints the way weight lifting does.

And now that I'm thinking a bit more about it, I'm finding that very few of the poses actually stretch anything! And the ones that do concentrate on the thighs, while you're talking about shoulders.

I took a yoga class...there was some stretching stuff, but really it was a "passive workout", if you will..and you're right- it's a lot of balance work..
woot!
2009-01-16, 4:52 PM #52
Originally posted by Avenger:
sets of 15 push ups isn't really very many.

depends on how many sets you do, also doing them in smaller sets helps when you want to do a whole bunch at once, it builds endurance or something.

try this for a nice workout.

also this guy has quit a few good workout tips.
Peace is a lie
There is only passion
Through passion I gain strength
Through strength I gain power
Through power I gain victory
Through victory my chains are broken
The Force shall set me free
2009-01-16, 5:20 PM #53
This...
[http://www.hotmoviesale.com/dvds/73171/1/Billy-Blanks-Ultimate-Tae-Bo.jpg]
2009-01-16, 5:28 PM #54
i actually used to do those videos.

i even have a buncha the dvds. it's good if you're only focusing on losing weight...not so great on the 'OMG I NO SELF DEFENSE!!!'
Peace is a lie
There is only passion
Through passion I gain strength
Through strength I gain power
Through power I gain victory
Through victory my chains are broken
The Force shall set me free
2009-01-16, 10:43 PM #55
Quote:

Are you familiar with olympic lifts at all? Because that's what I'm talking about. Squats (with correct ***-to-grass form), overhead presses, deadlifts, cleans, jerks, etc. These, more than anything else, work stabalizing and core muscles. I'm not talking about going to the overhead press machine and "overhead pressing" 250#. I'm talking about getting under a 45# bar, putting 100# on it and lifting it over your head, balancing it there, and then bringing it back to your collarbone without you or the weight falling over in any direction.

Quote:
while you're talking about shoulders.

Don't start the nit-picking crap. You and I have been in enough internet arguments to know bull**** nitpicking when we see it. The shoulder thing was an example. I could have said hips, knees, ankles, wrists, knuckles, anything else.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2009-01-16, 10:44 PM #56
Originally posted by The_Lost_One:

also this guy has quit a few good workout tips.

Hahah! I've trained with him. He used to run a gym about 4 minutes from my house...
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2009-01-17, 4:41 AM #57
Quote:
Are you familiar with olympic lifts at all? Because that's what I'm talking about. Squats (with correct ***-to-grass form), overhead presses, deadlifts, cleans, jerks, etc. These, more than anything else, work stabalizing and core muscles. I'm not talking about going to the overhead press machine and "overhead pressing" 250#. I'm talking about getting under a 45# bar, putting 100# on it and lifting it over your head, balancing it there, and then bringing it back to your collarbone without you or the weight falling over in any direction.

Unnecessary stress on your joints, that's all it is.
2009-01-17, 7:10 AM #58
Or it strengthens your joints.*

You know, which ever.

*Assumes you're doing the lifts properly, which I believe is a fair assumption. Arguing to defend someone who is doing something incorrectly is dumb.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2009-01-17, 9:10 AM #59
One program:

P90X.
2009-01-17, 9:24 AM #60
P90X, while I don't have any personal experience with it, is a decent program if you don't really know what you're doing. So if you don't know and you don't really care, go for it. There are better things out there, but it requires more learning and more knowledge.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2009-01-17, 10:42 AM #61
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
BURRITO STAND

WINNAR:hist101:
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On

↑ Up to the top!