Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Babycakes
Babycakes
2004-08-18, 2:20 AM #41
That wouldn't work, not everyone is physically capable of stabbing someone else...

------------------
Roach - Gyring and gimbling in the wabe...
0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-08-18, 3:48 AM #42
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Flirbnic:
Everyone just needs to stand in a circle and stab the next person's back.
</font>

Or drop some poison in each other's tea.

I'd also like to point out that this isn't originally a comic. It was a short story, that some guy adapted to a comic.

And yes, read American Gods as well as Neverwhere, because they own.

------------------
"I'd rather be hated for who I am rather than loved for who I pretend to be." -Janis Joplin
2004-08-18, 3:49 AM #43
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Roach:
That wouldn't work, not everyone is physically capable of stabbing someone else...

</font>

Someone else can do their stabbing for them.

------------------
"I'd rather be hated for who I am rather than loved for who I pretend to be." -Janis Joplin
2004-08-18, 4:13 AM #44
What I don't agree with is the food part. I think it's ok to eat other species to survive, and people certainly aren't the only ones doing it. A lot of animals being grown for food are treated cruelly, though.

------------------
If you can read this, you need better glasses.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2004-08-18, 6:45 AM #45
A Modest Proposal, anyone?

------------------
Superstition brings bad luck.
-Raymond Smullyan, 5000B.C.
:master::master::master:
2004-08-18, 7:14 AM #46
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SavageX378:
Let say that I wanted to convince some people that running over cats in the road is a bad thing. Since they can't seem to understand how cruel it is to do it to cats, I'll replace the cats with humans. Now, I tell them that running over humans is bad and they agree that that is messed up. Now I tell them that running over cats is just as bad if not worse. All of them agree but one guy says that I'm a freak because he is disgusted that I spoke about humans getting run over by cars and completely misses the point that the example was meant to show how it is wrong to run over cats.

You, my friend, is that very person who didn't get the point in that example. You are too hang up on the fact on what that comic talked about abuse of babies yet the whole point was that the babies are being used the way animals are being used RIGHT NOW. You get it yet or do I need to explain it again?

-- SavageX

</font>

But would you make a graphically intensive, and morally challenging comic to prove your point? This is a type of fallacy that PETA uses to often, and it IS sick. By building up your argument with hypocracy, you desensitize your argument, thus taking the little strength your argument originally had. No, saying "What if we did everything we do to animals, to babys? Eat them, wear them, etc?" is different than saying "If animals weren't around, we'd kill babies instead. We'd put detergent in their eyes, see this example: a cartoon of someone putting droplets of detergent into a baby's eye. We'd wear them, too. We'd poach their skin. See this picture of a woman holding up her baby-skin glove: Another cartoon."

If Camels Cigarette's can't do it, neither can peta.

JediKirby

------------------
jEDIkIRBY - Putting the Romance back into Necromancer.
Proud Leader of the Minnessassian Council

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-08-18, 8:30 AM #47
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jEDIkIRBY:
No, saying "What if we did everything we do to animals, to babys? Eat them, wear them, etc?" is different than saying "If animals weren't around, we'd kill babies instead."

</font>

The latter's just a scenario infused with a healthy bit of rhetoric to give the comic some punch. They're not actually saying that.

------------------
Map-Review | My Portfolio | The Matrix: Unplugged

Banks and banks of humming machinery! I've never seen so many knobs. We're going to have to do something, Charlie! Try pushing that button there. No? How about that one? No, not that one either. I know! I'll try pushing this one. Hold my hat will you? Good fellow.
2004-08-18, 10:28 AM #48
Yes, maybe the way the cartoonist went about making the strip was a bit out of line (although nowhere near being "graphically intensive") but the point was still made pretty clear. This comic is supposed to be persuasive - it's trying to get you emotionally. The best way to get someone on your side isn't through logic but through emotion because emotion is how humans react first majority of the time. That cartoonist knew that making a strip with images of babies being used in such horrible ways was going to disgust the reader and make them realize that since animals are being treated that way today when they finally put the puzzle pieces together. By doing that, in theory, would rally support to the PETA. It may be a questionable tactic but if it works, it works.

-- SavageX

------------------
"...and if you don't like that, then you need to be slugged in the face repeatedly, until my hands are soaked in blood. Have a nice day!"
http://geocities.com/savagex378
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2004-08-18, 11:44 AM #49
I bet that baby-leather really is nice and soft...

------------------
Roach - Gyring and gimbling in the wabe...
0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-08-18, 2:11 PM #50
ummm wtf was this... is this supposed to actually have some kind of clever theme or meaning?.. this was just weird. I hope it's not some kind of vegatarian propaganda thing.

[Edit] re-reads post...
o crap, so eating animals is still wrong...? Whats next..?? We're not allowed to raise and eat plants anymore...?!???

"...and so the plants disappeared... but we humans are smart, It's what separates us from the animals, the babies, and the plants."
[end edit]

------------------
I am __Ace_1__ , and I approve this message.

[This message has been edited by Ace1 (edited August 18, 2004).]
I am _ Ace_1 _ , and I approve this message.
2004-08-18, 2:37 PM #51
It's not about eating animals, it's about animal testing.

------------------
2004-08-18, 2:52 PM #52
Humans are sentient. Humans have the capabilities to cure diseases, to create great things, to become great things. I personally hold the belief that animals are here to feed us, to nurture us, I hold that belief because although I respect most of the animal kingdom, a burger tastes good for a reason, a piece of chicken is perfectly tasty for a reason--they're good for you, they nurture your body, and your body has been taught to respond well to those things. This being the thing tasting good. Now naturally we all have slight differences in tastes, but for the most part, people like the way meat tastes for a reason.

That's why I'm sickened. My post may sound "basic and stupid and ignorant", but hey, I never said you had to believe in what I believe in. I just explained how I feel. So don't go "OMG PLEASE THAT'S SO RETARDED", because then you'll be persecuting me for my beliefs, and the majority of the civilized world doesn't take too kindly to that, much less Massassi. So please, don't call me ignorant when I say this sickens me.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-18, 3:53 PM #53
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Humans are sentient. Humans have the capabilities to cure diseases, to create great things, to become great things.</font>

Humans don't have the capability to do things better, just bigger. Other animals band together in packs, protect their injured family, etc. We make medicine. Other animals eat each other, we commit genocide. It all balances out in the end. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------

Banks and banks of humming machinery! I've never seen so many knobs. We're going to have to do something, Charlie! Try pushing that button there. No? How about that one? No, not that one either. I know! I'll try pushing this one. Hold my hat will you? Good fellow.
2004-08-18, 4:32 PM #54
Can animals truly enjoy life on the level humans do? Can they think on that level?

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-18, 4:51 PM #55
What? Of course they can't enjoy life on "our level." And we can't enjoy life on "their level." And you need to be intelligent to "enjoy life?"

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

---------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info (I don't know why I have this still in my sig)
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-08-18, 5:09 PM #56
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Can animals truly enjoy life on the level humans do? Can they think on that level?

</font>

I think a lot of animals are happier than most are. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------

2004-08-18, 7:05 PM #57
You guys don't get what I'm saying--humans are sentient. While animals have basic needs/instincts and basic wants/feelings, humans are more complex, along with having brighter futures ahead of them than being a companion. While I'm not advocating the treatment of animals as test subjects, in fact I seriously disagree with it, reading this comic sickened me physically. This was just a poor way to represent what they were trying to get across, and it really offended me on a certain level.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-18, 8:40 PM #58
Humans are just animals that figured out mirrors.

------------------
jEDIkIRBY - Putting the Romance back into Necromancer.
Proud Leader of the Minnessassian Council

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-08-19, 5:36 AM #59
That's just the thing. You say humans have brighter futures ahead of them, but for many that isn't true. Millions of people around the world die of starvation and disease. Admittedly, being a citizen of the U.S. as you are, that's not something you think about often (judging from your post). But think about, for example, dolphins. Or whales. They seem to be having a great time out there, and just because it's not as complex doesn't mean it's not as enjoyable. Remember "ignorance is bliss?" In this case, it's true.

------------------

2004-08-19, 6:53 AM #60
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ace1:
[Edit] re-reads post...
o crap, so eating animals is still wrong...? Whats next..?? We're not allowed to raise and eat plants anymore...?!???
</font>

PETA wants us to become breathatarians.

------------------
Superstition brings bad luck.
-Raymond Smullyan, 5000B.C.
:master::master::master:
2004-08-19, 7:40 AM #61
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Vincent Valentine:
It's not about eating animals, it's about animal testing.

</font>

Check page 5. "Baby flesh is tender and succulent".

------------------
"No good can ever come from staying with normal people"
-Outlaw Star
"Some people play tennis. I erode the human soul"
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
"I'm a Cannabal-Vegitarian. I will BBQ an employee if there is no veggie option"
-DX:IW
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²[/i]
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2004-08-19, 11:45 AM #62
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Thrawn42689:
That's just the thing. You say humans have brighter futures ahead of them, but for many that isn't true. Millions of people around the world die of starvation and disease. Admittedly, being a citizen of the U.S. as you are, that's not something you think about often (judging from your post). But think about, for example, dolphins. Or whales. They seem to be having a great time out there, and just because it's not as complex doesn't mean it's not as enjoyable. Remember "ignorance is bliss?" In this case, it's true.

</font>

We don't eat dolphins and whales, and I already said I don't agree with testing, even though we don't do it on dolphins or whales.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-19, 12:04 PM #63
Eh, whatever. As long as we agree that testing is bad. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

And for the record, people do eat whales. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------

2004-08-20, 4:21 AM #64
Yeah, weird 3rd world asian/african countries. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

I just don't agree with PETA. "DON'T EAT ANIMALS BECAUSE THEY ARE THE COOL AND FLUFFY-ZOR"

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H

↑ Up to the top!