Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → We's gonna build a railgun... (+ discuss your homemade weapons thread)
We's gonna build a railgun... (+ discuss your homemade weapons thread)
2004-08-19, 4:10 PM #41
I know how to make Nitroglycerin, in theory. But, I'd rather not screw it up and ... well, die.

------------------
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2004-08-19, 4:14 PM #42
Napalm is quite easy to make...
EDIT: Just saw Page's post

------------------
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side

[This message has been edited by Evil_Tofu (edited August 19, 2004).]
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2004-08-19, 4:19 PM #43
I know of three ways to make it, but nitro sounds more fun.

------------------
2004-08-20, 8:29 AM #44
An old friend of mine supposedly made C4. I dont know if he was telling tall tales... but half his body was ravaged and he had a leg missing.

------------------
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2004-08-20, 8:32 AM #45
The obvious solution to the power loss due to heating (P=I^2*R), is to run at a higher voltage. This is why power is transmitted down long lines at high voltage and then converted to a lower voltage via a transformer near your house. The problem with high voltage is you need very good insulation, or the voltage will leak (resulting in big losses in power and possible electrocution of yourself [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]). Nomex paper is a very good insulator (~700V/.001 in) and is farily cheap. Kraft paper is even cheaper, but has less dielectric strength (~165V/.001 in).
"Good Asian dubs are like Steven Segal and plot; they just dont appear in the same movie." -Spork
2004-08-20, 10:45 AM #46
Yeah Home_Sliced, TFTI. We did do it in Physics very recently but, me not being a huge physics fan and not understanding electricity that well at the time, I switched off. I do get ya though and haven't totally forgotten since dropping it a couple of months back.

------------------
Fire Pretty - Graz's Armoury - (That's my blog...)

The Soviet Bunker - (That's my forum...)

"Thou shalt not steal. (Because the government doesn't like competition!)"

How to keep an idiot busy: See below
How to keep an idiot busy: See above
A slightly more stripy Gee_4ce, and more than just Something British...

Visit the home of Corporal G on the Internets
2004-08-20, 12:06 PM #47
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by KOP_Snake:
An old friend of mine supposedly made C4. I dont know if he was telling tall tales... but half his body was ravaged and he had a leg missing.

</font>

You can't really make C4, as that would require a source of RDX (which is a lot harder to come by than C4 anyways). However, you CAN quite easily make plastic explosives... see the Anarchist's Cookbook for more information.

For best results with home-made bombs, nothing beats the power of ammonium nitrate. Just grind it into a powder, mix it with motor oil, put it in some sort of casing, and detonate it with either a stick of dynamite or a CO2 cartridge bomb (empty CO2 cartridge filled with gunpowder. Use a sparkler as a wick, for effect)

Aluminum powder is a pretty good explosive too. Plus, it's multipurpose! Mix it with an oxidizer and you have a bomb; mix it with iron oxide powder and you have thermite. It's great!

------------------
Four dimensions, four fundamental forces... coincidence?
Stuff
2004-08-20, 12:45 PM #48
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: there are certain things you shouldn't say on the internet. Chiefly: numerous denizens of the Massassi Temple are minors by several years -who might lack judgement, when it comes to your standard pre-adolescent pyromania and internet instructions for explosives.

...that and J. Edgar.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Bounty Hunter 4 hire (edited August 20, 2004).]
2004-08-20, 12:54 PM #49
What teenager HASN'T seen the anarchist's cookbook

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-20, 1:04 PM #50
I attempted a rocket propelled cluster bomb once about 3 years ago or more. Took a model rocket engine and then superglued a straw (for the guideline) and 6 large bangers to it. The I added 6 smaller bangers and glued those into the gaps between the large bangers. We bought about 10 metres of wire from an electricians and hooked up the igniter in the engine to about 6 AA batteries. The mouth of the rocket and the fuses of all the bangers were coated in sticky fuel. (Pagewizard, real military napalm has phosphourous in it. It ignites on contact with air and goes on to ignite the petroleum jelly)
Anyway, we rushed it, didn't add the stabiliser fins and it started to do crazy cartwheels the moment it came off the guidewire. It also failed to properly ignite the sticky fuel (probably from the speed it travelled at), so we reignited it on the ground the old fashioned way and ran like crazy. There's something scary about random explosions going of all over the place right next to you!

------------------
Fight like a Warlord
2004-08-20, 1:11 PM #51
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:

</font>
yeah... I hear the Author is ashamed he wrote it, now.

Ever see The Poor Man's James Bond?

------------------
2004-08-20, 1:59 PM #52
Quote:

</font>

A lot, actually.

That should read "What teenager (who goes to massassi) HASN'T seen the Anarchist's cookbook.

------------------
[16:38] Correction: dick tracy was a real man
[16:38] happydud: Actually... He wasn't. :D
[19:08] Dormouse: hi, my name's happydud and i'm passive-aggress.. SHUTUP!! *stabs nearby orphan*
[You have gained 3 Dark Side Points]
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-08-20, 5:14 PM #53
You're planning on building a ... portable railgun mounted on a tripod? What are you planning to do with it, exacty? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/eek.gif]

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-08-20, 5:30 PM #54
Would heatsinks help disipate the heat? I dunno how conductive the are, so it could be counter productive.

But seriously, a portable railgun isn't very useful, tactically. The best use of a railgun would be on a battleship or a tank.
2004-08-20, 5:39 PM #55
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bounty Hunter 4 hire:
Quote:
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:

</font>
yeah... I hear the Author is ashamed he wrote it, now.

Ever see The Poor Man's James Bond?

[/B]

He hates it, the Anarchists Cookbook that is. He feels like he betrayed a generation.

And there's so much heat generated almost instantly--you couldn't dissipate that easily at ALL.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-20, 5:49 PM #56
Can you make it full auto. *Insert evil Calvin grin here*
2004-08-20, 5:55 PM #57
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Freelancer:
You're planning on building a ... portable railgun mounted on a tripod? What are you planning to do with it, exacty? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/eek.gif]

</font>

shooting it at cops seems like a good idea. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
(Pagewizard, real military napalm has phosphourous in it. It ignites on contact with air and goes on to ignite the petroleum jelly)</font>

And gasoline + styrofoam makes excellent napalm, even though its not the actual military recipe. I wouldn't want it to autoignite in air, though, thats a little too dangerous. I once used homemade napalm to destroy a wasp nest. It was hanging on an old metal shed.I made sure nothing else would burn, b/c once napalm is lit, its an absolute b**** to put out.

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited August 20, 2004).]

2004-08-20, 5:59 PM #58
Quote:

</font>

good point. It's interesting reading, even if you never intend to use any of the stuff in there.

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.

2004-08-20, 6:00 PM #59
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bounty Hunter 4 hire:
I know how to make Nitroglycerin, in theory.

</font>

isn't it nitric acid + glycirine?

------------------
2004-08-20, 6:09 PM #60
PW--got AIM? I could never get that recipe to work. If you have MSN that's fine too.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-20, 7:26 PM #61
Quote:
PW--got AIM? I could never get that recipe to work. If you have MSN that's fine too.

</font>

check your email.

------------------
2004-08-20, 7:32 PM #62
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kyle90:
You can't really make C4, as that would require a source of RDX (which is a lot harder to come by than C4 anyways). However, you CAN quite easily make plastic explosives... see the Anarchist's Cookbook for more information.

</font>

yep, the main ingredient is regular bleach. With enough simple household items, one could blow up just about anything. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
2004-08-21, 10:25 AM #63
I've only read snippets of the Anarchists' Cookbook, unfortunately. And a full auto railgun? Aside from the tremendous amounts of heat with even a moderate amount of power, you wouldn't even need multiple slugs. One'd knock through anything.

------------------
Wise men say that fools rush in where angels fear to tread, so look before you leap, so to speak, because the grass is not always greener on the other side of the hill.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2004-08-21, 6:39 PM #64
One shot from a rail gun will punch a hole through just about anything, and after that the slugs will just weld to the rails.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H

↑ Up to the top!