Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → legalities aside..
legalities aside..
2009-03-19, 5:28 PM #1
do you think it is moral to download an illegal version of a movie/game/song when you own a legal copy that has somehow been rendered unusable? this is not a discussion of the law, this is a discussion of what you personally feel.

i've been pondering this on and off today. i owned a legitimate copy of jedi knight and mots, but my jk disks have been scratched to the point of being unusable. i could just download some isos, but im not sure if i should.
2009-03-19, 5:33 PM #2
Yes
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2009-03-19, 5:42 PM #3
Who said it's illegal? You already paid for and own it.

2009-03-19, 5:43 PM #4
I'd say yes even if you don't own it.
But I'm a total klepto.

But taking the view of someone else, yes it's fine if you own it. You are allowed to make copies of something you own for personal use, so this isn't much different.
2009-03-19, 5:48 PM #5
I torrented Jedi Knight and Mots too because I didn't have the patience to extract the files off the scratched game disks. Actually, it wasn't really a matter of patience; I just didn't give a ****.

The world doesn't work in absolutes. I don't see how this is a morally pressing issue.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-03-19, 5:49 PM #6
ive done it before...
I'm proud of my life and the things that I have done, proud of myself and the loner I've become.
2009-03-19, 5:50 PM #7
well, that answers it. i always liked the level 15 cutscene, and now i can watch it again.. once the downloads done.

i was partly just curious about how massassi would view this sort of downloading. most people ive asked have said its fine, but some have said its still wrong.
2009-03-19, 5:55 PM #8
For new games it's more of an issue.
Games that you can't even find in stores anymore ....
2009-03-19, 5:55 PM #9
Well, it doesn't really hurt anyone at all in this case. I don't think LucasArts sells JK:DF2 anymore, unless I'm mistaken. Even if you bought used copies, it still doesn't affect LA in the least.
2009-03-19, 5:56 PM #10
It's still copyright infringement so it is illegal, but I would hardly call it immoral.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-03-19, 5:56 PM #11
JLee dont read this!!!!!

it is wrong...only legally. but honestly, who hasnt gotten drunk underage? or sped in their car?
I'm proud of my life and the things that I have done, proud of myself and the loner I've become.
2009-03-19, 5:56 PM #12
I don't see this as a moral issue. I don't even see anything wrong with downloading a 10+ year old game that no one plays anymore, even if you never owned a copy. However, I wish everyone in the world would purchase a copy of Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 just to let them know that they haven't made a decent game since.
? :)
2009-03-19, 6:01 PM #13
Well I just checked Lucasart's online store (which, oddly enough, looks the same as it did 4 years ago) and JK isn't even mentioned on the website.
2009-03-19, 6:02 PM #14
Originally posted by andreawesome:
who hasnt gotten drunk underage?

Haven't gotten drunk yet, and I'm 22. :rolleyes:
2009-03-19, 6:09 PM #15
Originally posted by Reid:
Well I just checked Lucasart's online store (which, oddly enough, looks the same as it did 4 years ago) and JK isn't even mentioned on the website.

lol wow..
(Yea I downloaded the first two Monkey Islands a couple months ago I don't think the president would care if I told him I did it to his face)

and
Originally posted by Cool Matty:

lol wow
(I thought you were way older than 22)
2009-03-19, 6:33 PM #16
Originally posted by Cool Matty:

Seconded.
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2009-03-19, 6:34 PM #17
They should just make the game opensource anyway
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2009-03-19, 6:34 PM #18
I own a DVD copy of Star Wars Episode 3, but I have no idea where it is, its lost in all the boxes of the last time I moved. So, am I entitled to download it and view while I can't find it? (talking about roughly 72 boxes to look through, and I can't even find all of those boxes. yeah, we carry a lot of crap around, lots of VHS tapes and paper).
Nothing to see here, move along.
2009-03-19, 6:39 PM #19
Quote:

JK is pretty much abandonware nowadays. I don't see the problem in hosting it. Its a rare torrent to find, and an even rarer game to physicially own. -clenches copy-
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-03-19, 6:40 PM #20
Originally posted by Onimusha:
JK is pretty much abandonware nowadays. I don't see the problem in hosting it. Its a rare torrent to find, and an even rarer game to physicially own. -clenches copy-

took me about 3 minutes to find a torrent with plenty of seeders, i wont post a link because its probably against the rules..
2009-03-19, 6:40 PM #21

Atleast I still haven't lost it, or MOTS for that matter. But I can't find Alpha Centauri, and I really want to play it.
2009-03-19, 6:43 PM #22

Oh I downloaded it easily. I couldn't get it to run on XP though.
2009-03-19, 6:48 PM #23
Originally posted by Squirrel King:
Oh I downloaded it easily. I couldn't get it to run on XP though.

I don't see why, JK has worked fine for me on XP and Vista. I even got Dark Forces working with sound in Vista (has some button lag though).
2009-03-19, 6:50 PM #24
I'll host it if you can talk Lucasarts into not suing me.
2009-03-19, 6:57 PM #25
Lucasarts reserves the right to take legal action if you even discuss the hypothetical plan to talk to Lucasarts.
2009-03-19, 6:57 PM #26
Originally posted by Bobbert:
Seconded.

Me too
:master::master::master:
2009-03-19, 7:06 PM #27
Lucasarts reserves the right to take legal action if you even discuss the hypothetical plan to talk to Lucasarts.

lol
2009-03-19, 7:24 PM #28
...are you guys mormon?
2009-03-19, 7:31 PM #29
...are you guys mormon?

I wasn't going to touch the subject with a 10 foot pole .. but oh well ..
I was curious, so thanks for asking to the reason.
2009-03-19, 7:38 PM #30
Nothing good occurs from the devil's liquor and only evil happens to those who drink it. I think CM and Bobbert would agree with me.
2009-03-19, 7:41 PM #31
Satan is real and his chemical formula is CH3CH2OH
2009-03-19, 7:53 PM #32
Holy crap don't turn this into a religious thread.
(esp. If you are Christian.. I studied it for 4 years..I can easily counter you)
2009-03-19, 8:10 PM #33
(esp. If you are Christian.. I studied it for 4 years..I can easily counter you)

Cute.
2009-03-19, 8:17 PM #34
...are you guys mormon?

This post has either destroyed or improved the thread.
2009-03-19, 8:23 PM #35
Originally posted by Emon:
It's still copyright infringement so it is illegal, but I would hardly call it immoral.

No it's not. If you've paid for the game, it only violates the DMCA, and then only if there is copy protection on the game. Remember that a copyright violation is unauthorized use of someone's IP, but has nothing to do with the media by which the IP is used.

The DMCA says that you may not circumvent copyright protection on media, but in a case like this, that may not stand up well in court, even though there is zero chance that it would actually make it to court.

...fail?
2009-03-19, 8:26 PM #36
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
Cute.

They brought it up, not me :suicide:
2009-03-19, 8:29 PM #37
Holy crap don't turn this into a religious thread.

Do it
2009-03-19, 8:33 PM #38
Do it

If there is one thing the Massassi East Coast liberal atheist elite are afraid of, it's the Truth.
2009-03-19, 8:34 PM #39
Do it

PMs sent.
2009-03-19, 9:15 PM #40
whoa whoa whoa, i wasnt making that statement in hopes of turning it into a religious thread. i only said it because 3 of the 4 mormons i know have never had any alcohol because of their religion. the other one really doesnt care so he drinks all the time.

↑ Up to the top!