Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → legalities aside..
legalities aside..
2009-03-19, 9:17 PM #41
They said they've never been drunk that doesn't mean they don't drink. Cause people actually do drink because they enjoy the beverage not to get smashed
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2009-03-19, 9:36 PM #42
Originally posted by zanardi:
They said they've never been drunk that doesn't mean they don't drink. Cause people actually do drink because they enjoy the beverage not to get smashed

THIS.

so much.
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2009-03-19, 9:56 PM #43
I don't have a problem with it if you've already paid for it.

Also, how did this turn into a religious thread?

Mormons aren't the only people that don't drink because of religion. I think some Christian denominations/sects are against alcohol, and I'm pretty sure Islamic law forbids it also.
2009-03-19, 10:11 PM #44
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
No it's not. If you've paid for the game, it only violates the DMCA, and then only if there is copy protection on the game. Remember that a copyright violation is unauthorized use of someone's IP, but has nothing to do with the media by which the IP is used.

The DMCA says that you may not circumvent copyright protection on media, but in a case like this, that may not stand up well in court, even though there is zero chance that it would actually make it to court.

...fail?

I'm going to go with the last line of your post there:

FAIL.

This IS a copyright issue, in that you are breaking the license agreement when you download it from the internet. Your license to use that data extends strictly from the media on which you bought it, that is to say, you can only play the game using the data off that disk. Whether it's a backup copy or not isn't relevant, the data came from that disk you purchased.

You may try to use the excuse that it's the exact same data whether you rip it from the disk or get it off the internet, but as far as the law is concerned, it doesn't matter. The law differentiates this, so must you if you wish to abide by the law.

It is for this same reason that it is illegal to download ROMs for games you already own.
2009-03-19, 10:19 PM #45
I somehow doubt anybody is actually going to pull you in court for downloading an ISO of a disk that broke, or a rom.
2009-03-19, 10:21 PM #46
I thought the reasons roms were illegal is because the data is modified and not just copied?
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2009-03-19, 10:21 PM #47
lets go into a thread titled "legalities aside.." and talk about suing over copyright issues, shall we?
2009-03-19, 10:23 PM #48
Originally posted by Anakin9012:

The real mystery is how it turned into an alcohol thread.

Morally, I don't see anything wrong at all with replacing something you already own through an illegal download.

Legally, if it's not already an affirmative defense to piracy that you've bought what you're pirating, it ought to be. :colbert:
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2009-03-19, 10:46 PM #49
Originally posted by andreawesome:
JLee dont read this!!!!!

it is wrong...only legally. but honestly, who hasnt gotten drunk underage? or sped in their car?

:ninja:
woot!
2009-03-19, 11:04 PM #50
I once took a very sharp turn going down the road very fast. The window was open, and I can almost swear that if I did not have my seat belt on I would have gone flying out the window. The turn literally made my torso poke out the window. How I made that turn without turning the car over mystifies me.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2009-03-19, 11:09 PM #51
k...
2009-03-19, 11:12 PM #52
Originally posted by JLee:
:ninja:

traitor
I'm proud of my life and the things that I have done, proud of myself and the loner I've become.
2009-03-19, 11:13 PM #53
Originally posted by Deadman:
k...

This is just a warning so that you might not want me to be your designated driver if by whatever circumstances, we ever go out to drink.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2009-03-20, 4:38 AM #54
when i was looking for good jk torrents two years ago i coud not find any. This is good to know
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-03-20, 4:45 AM #55
Originally posted by andreawesome:
traitor

LAWBREAKER

:neckbeard:
woot!
2009-03-20, 5:54 AM #56

Agnostic, not Mormon
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2009-03-20, 7:30 AM #57
Well, by law you are entitled to a backup of your copies of digital data, be it a movie, game, music... Even if you don't have the means to 'back it up' yourself, downloading it wouldnt seem morally wrong to me. I really don't have a problem with people downloading music illegally either. Seems to hurt the record companies more than the artists (except the huge artists). I personally have just stopped buying or downloading music all together. I just listen to the radio...
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-03-20, 7:37 AM #58
Originally posted by KOP_AoEJedi:
Well, by law you are entitled to a backup of your copies of digital data, be it a movie, game, music... Even if you don't have the means to 'back it up' yourself, downloading it wouldnt seem morally wrong to me. I really don't have a problem with people downloading music illegally either. Seems to hurt the record companies more than the artists (except the huge artists). I personally have just stopped buying or downloading music all together. I just listen to the radio...

That seems more trivial, because even if the artist is being ripped off by the recording company, illegally downloading the album means the artist doesn't get ****.
2009-03-20, 7:40 AM #59
The artists income doesn't solely rely on selling albums alone. There are such things as contractual obligations which studios/recording companies are forced to pay their artists to even convince them to MAKE the record in the first place. It's the same thing as a "Writers fee" per say. A writer/director won't submit his fully completed story, or allow it to be sold/produced, unless he is first paid a fee for doing it in the first place. And if you ask me, 50 Cent doesn't need another Benz.

I'm funny on the issue. I want to work in the entertainment industry as a filmmaker, yet I have absolutely no issue with torrenting/pirating of movies, music or video games, etc. Because as much as an effect the RIAA and other companies "say" it has on the industry, it's still flourishing and they are still making millions. They just can't take the fact that instead of making $520 million this year, they made $490 million (for examples sake). IMO, it's not immoral, and if you already own a copy in the first place it's most definitely in your personal benefit and rights to own a digital copy. Or ANY other copy for that matter.

Personally, my viewpoint on it as an artist would be, as much as it sucks that I didn't get paid for it.. People like my work. People want my work. They are interested in what I have to say or put in front of their eyes, for whatever reason. My work affects their mind, gets it moving, or does SOMETHING at least. It has some kind of impact.[/b] That's the whole point of being an artist in the first place, that's what art is. Even though a fool would lie and tell you that the money aspect is not nice or attractive, it isn't ALL about that. At least not for me.
2009-03-20, 7:48 AM #60
gold you're full of **** go die somewhere

as far as downloading, no one gets in legal trouble for downloading, it's for uploading. if you seed the torrent at all (even while you are still downloading it) that is illegal and possibly immoral, since you are assisting others in obtaining the game without purchasing it.

that said, i don't care, i my media server has about 2tb of music and movies i downloaded :)
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2009-03-20, 7:52 AM #61
If everyone on the planet were to act in a "moral" fashion 100% of the time, we'd all be friggin' Mormons.
2009-03-20, 8:29 AM #62
Originally posted by Anakin9012:

Massassi
2009-03-20, 8:32 AM #63
Originally posted by stat:
If there is one thing the Massassi East Coast liberal atheist elite are afraid of, it's the Truth.

What does Paul Pierce have to do with this?
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2009-03-20, 8:47 AM #64
Originally posted by Temperamental:
Personally, my viewpoint on it as an artist would be, as much as it sucks that I didn't get paid for it.. People like my work. People want my work. They are interested in what I have to say or put in front of their eyes, for whatever reason. My work affects their mind, gets it moving, or does SOMETHING at least. It has some kind of impact.[/b] That's the whole point of being an artist in the first place, that's what art is. Even though a fool would lie and tell you that the money aspect is not nice or attractive, it isn't ALL about that. At least not for me.

THIS!!!!

as far as the morality of it goes... i think if you own a copy already, then downloading it is about as immoral as going 70 mph in a 65 zone. cause most people are probably doin 80
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2009-03-20, 8:55 AM #65
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
This is just a warning so that you might not want me to be your designated driver if by whatever circumstances, we ever go out to drink.

Holy crap don't turn this into a drinking thread.
(esp. If you are Mexican.. I studied it for 4 years..I can easily counter you)
2009-03-20, 9:00 AM #66
Originally posted by Jon`C:

:awesomelon:
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2009-03-20, 9:25 AM #67
I think you would be in trouble morally if you paid money for anything LEC released AFTER JK.
2009-03-20, 9:34 AM #68
Originally posted by Brian:
I think you would be in trouble morally if you paid money for anything LEC released AFTER JK.

Originally posted by Jon`C:
Holy crap don't turn this into a drinking thread.

:awesome:
2009-03-20, 10:00 AM #69
Originally posted by JLee:
LAWBREAKER

:neckbeard:

dont you sass me Copper!
I'm proud of my life and the things that I have done, proud of myself and the loner I've become.
2009-03-20, 2:15 PM #70
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
I'm going to go with the last line of your post there:

FAIL.

This IS a copyright issue, in that you are breaking the license agreement when you download it from the internet. Your license to use that data extends strictly from the media on which you bought it, that is to say, you can only play the game using the data off that disk. Whether it's a backup copy or not isn't relevant, the data came from that disk you purchased.

You may try to use the excuse that it's the exact same data whether you rip it from the disk or get it off the internet, but as far as the law is concerned, it doesn't matter. The law differentiates this, so must you if you wish to abide by the law.

It is for this same reason that it is illegal to download ROMs for games you already own.

No, that's breach of EULA, which isn't the same thing and may or may not stand up on court.
2009-03-20, 3:21 PM #71
Tempermental, that's the stupidest post I've read here in a while.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2009-03-20, 3:28 PM #72
That's a funny comment coming from someone that can't even manage to spell my name :P
2009-03-20, 5:24 PM #73
shut up foo
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2009-03-20, 5:35 PM #74
What in the **** is this thread
2009-03-20, 6:35 PM #75
mr t tribute
Attachment: 21560/MrT15.jpg (42,557 bytes)
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2009-03-20, 6:42 PM #76

I wish more people were like this, though. These people, awesome as they are, are too few. :(
DO NOT WANT.
2009-03-20, 6:46 PM #77
I think it's fun to get smashed now and then though. Just not something you should do very often.
2009-03-20, 6:48 PM #78
maybe only in the company of people you trust so you wont wake up naked in a dumpster.

or dead. :gonk:
DO NOT WANT.
2009-03-20, 6:52 PM #79
I've woken up handcuffed to a keg before. WTF
That's not a shame. That's a blessing.
2009-03-20, 6:56 PM #80
Originally posted by Zell:
maybe only in the company of people you trust so you wont wake up naked in a dumpster.

or dead. :gonk:

.(
woot!

↑ Up to the top!