Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Immortality.
Immortality.
2009-04-25, 10:50 PM #1
A friend and I just had a very meaningful conversation on immortality. What if you could never die? You would be completely incapable of dieing, but you would still be confined to a normal human body (No superpowers guys). Would you do it?

I, personally would not. The thought of watching powerlessly as everyone I ever knew, ever loved, and everything I achieved get destroyed is the worst possible existance I can imagine. Watching as the universe ends sounds interesting on paper, but in reality it would be mind-bogglingly slow. Eventually it would get to a point where the life of a star seems like a blink of an eye and even if people still existed, their lives would be far to slow for you to develop any meaningful relationship. Once the universe had died you would be left floating in a void, with nothing around except sub-atomic matter and you. for eternity.

"I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even five hundred would be pretty nice."
-- CEO Nwabudike Morgan, MorganLink 3DVision Interview
2009-04-25, 11:00 PM #2
Immortal Tibby? Ew.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2009-04-25, 11:01 PM #3
If you had a normal human body, you'd look like an unrecognizable pile of **** after a few hundred years.
一个大西瓜
2009-04-25, 11:03 PM #4
The only real way to be immortal is to not age, so you wouldn't age.
2009-04-25, 11:05 PM #5
Hmm.

I dunno. It would probably be pretty cool for the first few hundred years...but what age would you stay at? I wouldn't want to be 25 forever- I'm looking forward to getting older...more life experience, knowledge, etc...but I wouldn't want to be 90 forever, either.
woot!
2009-04-25, 11:15 PM #6
I really hate when people write, "dieing". It's DYING. You don't put the suffix -ing after a vowel. :-/
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2009-04-25, 11:19 PM #7
Who the heck writes 'dieing'. That's like people who write 'lier'
一个大西瓜
2009-04-25, 11:22 PM #8
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
A friend and I just had a very meaningful conversation on immortality. What if you could never die? You would be completely incapable of dieing, but you would still be confined to a normal human body (No superpowers guys). Would you do it?

-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2009-04-25, 11:25 PM #9
only if i could make my loved ones imortal too. i wouldnt be able to be alive without them.
I'm proud of my life and the things that I have done, proud of myself and the loner I've become.
2009-04-25, 11:25 PM #10
Originally posted by JLee:
Hmm.

I dunno. It would probably be pretty cool for the first few hundred years...but what age would you stay at? I wouldn't want to be 25 forever- I'm looking forward to getting older...more life experience, knowledge, etc...but I wouldn't want to be 90 forever, either.

uhm if you are physically 25 forever that doesn't mean you have less life experience and knowldge when you're 12,925

so if i were never age and never die yet with no superpowers i'd live an endlessly average dull life... trying not to risk any kind of injury that would result in a permanent scar (imagine the collection of scars i would have after a few thousand years) or even worse... dismemberment

to be honest you also couldn't really have desirable immortality without A. the ability to heal all wounds no matter how severe B. being indestructible
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2009-04-25, 11:53 PM #11
It'd be nice to never age, but still die.

That's where it's at. A balance. Most people aren't afraid of dying, rather, they're afraid of getting old.
2009-04-25, 11:55 PM #12
Originally posted by Xzero:
It'd be nice to never age, but still die.

That's where it's at. A balance. Most people aren't afraid of dying, rather, they're afraid of getting old.

It'd be nice if we could have unlimited spawns... (and a voluntary mind wipe)
Nothing to see here, move along.
2009-04-26, 2:11 AM #13
I wouldn't make threads like this that's for sure
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2009-04-26, 4:41 AM #14
This thread makes me think of the everlasting time loop SG1 episode...
woot!
2009-04-26, 4:59 AM #15
Originally posted by andreawesome:
only if i could make my loved ones imortal too. i wouldnt be able to be alive without them.

The WoW servers won't be there forever, you know.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2009-04-26, 6:24 AM #16
Originally posted by andreawesome:

But then they would want to make THEIR loved ones immortal too, and then they would want to make THEIRS immortal, etc etc.

Before you know it we have 7 billion immortals walking about, and eventually with births and no deaths we're going to have crowding problems.

2009-04-26, 7:19 AM #17
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
uhm if you are physically 25 forever that doesn't mean you have less life experience and knowldge when you're 12,925

so if i were never age and never die yet with no superpowers i'd live an endlessly average dull life... trying not to risk any kind of injury that would result in a permanent scar (imagine the collection of scars i would have after a few thousand years) or even worse... dismemberment

to be honest you also couldn't really have desirable immortality without A. the ability to heal all wounds no matter how severe B. being indestructible

I guess I phrased that wrong. Mental age..wisdom/maturity. I wouldn't want to be 18 again - and I imagine when I hit 30-35, I won't want to go back to 25. :)
woot!
2009-04-26, 7:20 AM #18
I'd love to be 18 again. I mean, sure, it's nice being able to buy booze and what not, but if I was 18 with the knowledge I have now I'd be rolling in pussy.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2009-04-26, 8:41 AM #19
Originally posted by Roger Spruce:
I'd love to be 18 again. I mean, sure, it's nice being able to buy booze and what not, but if I was 18 with the knowledge I have now I'd be rolling in pussy.

Truth. You speak it.:neckbeard:
"The world will look up and shout 'Save us!'... And I'll whisper 'No.' "
2009-04-26, 10:50 AM #20
Ummm... i think anyone that's watched Dr. Who understands how much being immortal would suck.

Sure seeing the world progress and evolve would be interesting, but you could never have lasting relationships... you would watch people's lifetimes go by and you would be powerless to help them or save them...

Highlander anyone?
Mirthy

King James the 1st- “I will not give a turd for thy preaching”
2009-04-26, 11:13 AM #21
I would use the time to personally insult every single being in the universe.
2009-04-26, 11:19 AM #22
Who wouldn't want to be the Highlander.
"The world will look up and shout 'Save us!'... And I'll whisper 'No.' "
2009-04-26, 11:37 AM #23
Originally posted by The Mega-ZZTer:
But then they would want to make THEIR loved ones immortal too, and then they would want to make THEIRS immortal, etc etc.

Before you know it we have 7 billion immortals walking about, and eventually with births and no deaths we're going to have crowding problems.

damn how big do you think my family is?
I'm proud of my life and the things that I have done, proud of myself and the loner I've become.
2009-04-26, 11:50 AM #24
Only if I could die whenever I wanted.

I mean if you were completely immortal like when the earth blows up or something you'd just be like floating around in space gasping for air. Lame

Instead of immortality (BORING) I'd just like to time travel to the points were we master space travel, meet other intelligent life, etc ..
2009-04-26, 11:52 AM #25
its only fun if its vampire immortality. Otherwise meh.

Actually this thread brings up a good question.. what the hell happened to New Amsterdam?
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-04-26, 1:03 PM #26
Cancelled after episode 8.
2009-04-26, 1:15 PM #27
Squirrel King... you want to become the Doctor!!!
Mirthy

King James the 1st- “I will not give a turd for thy preaching”
2009-04-26, 1:23 PM #28
Only if I could gain the power of other immortals by taking their heads.
Pissed Off?
2009-04-26, 1:33 PM #29
Originally posted by Avenger:
Only if I could gain the power of other immortals by taking their heads.

I see what you did there.

Immortality is absolutely devistating for a species. Imagine all the genetic diseases and mutations would proliferate.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2009-04-26, 3:09 PM #30
On a scale from 1-10, just how meaningful was the conversation you had with your friend?
2009-04-26, 3:41 PM #31
7, it was rather profound.
2009-04-26, 3:48 PM #32
I plan to live forever, of course.

Barring that, I'd settle for a couple of thousand years. Even five hundred would be pretty nice.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2009-04-26, 4:12 PM #33
That quote is in the op.
2009-04-26, 4:15 PM #34
Why would I read the OP?
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2009-04-26, 5:18 PM #35
Because thats what decent people do before posting in a thread?
2009-04-26, 5:42 PM #36
I wish sarcasm worked so much better on the internet.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2009-04-26, 6:04 PM #37
Originally posted by Zloc_Vergo:
I wish sarcasm worked so much better on the internet.

You had me at hello.
2009-04-26, 6:15 PM #38
I wouldn't mind a little time lord regeneration
2009-04-27, 7:32 AM #39
I didnt read the whole thread. But saying 'no superpowers' and 'not being able to die' in the same scenario would be wrong. Not aging, sure thats technically immortality. But if you get run over by a train, and somehow dont die, then thats a super power.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-04-27, 8:07 AM #40
Only if I could choose to die. So for your question, no.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.

↑ Up to the top!