Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Immortality.
Immortality.
2009-04-27, 8:41 AM #41
With nanotechnology and/or computing that will allow for the human mind to be transferred to a computer, this is not a hypothetical question but merely a matter of time. It is possible that some of us will live long enough that we will have to choose to die.
2009-04-27, 10:15 AM #42
i would under a few conditions, mainly you would need to be able to heal at an amazing rate, even to the point of regenerating limbs. otherwise, you could be like "yay i just became immortal!" and then shoink! a ninja chops your legs off. that would suck butt! "yeah i am immortal... but i am confined to a wheelchair." :( or even worse! if the ninja missed and lopped off your junk! 50000 years with no relief!!! :suicide:
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2009-04-27, 10:18 AM #43
Originally posted by Jedi Legend:
With nanotechnology and/or computing that will allow for the human mind to be transferred to a computer, this is not a hypothetical question but merely a matter of time.

meh... still the problem of weather you would just be transferring memories and personality traits, or if you could actually transfer consciousness. otherwise your kind of just be making a backup copy that other people could check out, but still wouldnt do you any good.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2009-04-27, 10:43 AM #44
Originally posted by Jedi Legend:
With nanotechnology and/or computing that will allow for the human mind to be transferred to a computer, this is not a hypothetical question but merely a matter of time. It is possible that some of us will live long enough that we will have to choose to die.

Yessssss. I'm younger than you! I'll probably get this choice and you won't! Neener neener! :P

And yes I'd also choose to not be immortal, because living a normal life makes it that much more beautiful, because every moment is fleeting.
DO NOT WANT.
2009-04-27, 10:45 AM #45
well, if you're immortal, every moment is still fleeting--there's just a lot more of them
2009-04-27, 11:02 AM #46
no, thats stupid, jerk. :argh:
DO NOT WANT.
2009-04-27, 11:14 AM #47
I'm already immortal.

They don't call me the Immortal Jepman for nothing.

Tibdick.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2009-04-27, 1:15 PM #48
Originally posted by Darth_Alran:
meh... still the problem of weather you would just be transferring memories and personality traits, or if you could actually transfer consciousness. otherwise your kind of just be making a backup copy that other people could check out, but still wouldnt do you any good.

Consciousness is an illusion due to continuity just like a movie is an illusion of movement.
Warhead[97]
2009-04-28, 6:43 AM #49
"The only reason we die... is because we accept it as an inevitability." -- Stewie
2009-04-28, 8:40 AM #50
Originally posted by BobTheMasher:
Consciousness is an illusion due to continuity just like a movie is an illusion of movement.

:)

↑ Up to the top!