Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Half Life 2 looks...
Half Life 2 looks...
2004-08-24, 8:47 AM #1
aweful... I hate the way the took it out of a dark creepy area, and put it into a city. the mats they used on the creatures are way too bright, they look like cartoons... also.. they guys with the little things on their heads look dumb now.. I loved the way their hands use to look, now they are all clean and have little fingernails and little joints.. looks like they were trying too hard and ruined it.. the gore looks really fake too.

------------------
| | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
|
|
||||||||||||||||||||
2004-08-24, 8:50 AM #2
Who cares about the graphics, the gameplay is the best part, i mean pong and tetris were 2d and crappy but they were fun because of the gameplay

------------------
In soviet Russia, thread posts YOU!
nope.
2004-08-24, 8:54 AM #3
I'd rather play Doom 3 anyday.. dark and scary.. better than fighting cartoon creatures out in the middle of the afternoon

------------------
| | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
|
|

[This message has been edited by Spiral (edited August 24, 2004).]
||||||||||||||||||||
2004-08-24, 8:54 AM #4
Sorry, Half-Life 2 looks hella realistic. Because it isn't 100% bumpmapped like Doom3. That's why up close on all Doom3 textures it looks crappy. Far Cry looked nice except for the bumpmapped stuff, barrels, some walls etc. You could tell what was bumpmapped in FarCry because it looks plastic and fake like and upclose the textures look horrible. Doom 3 looks 100% like that, which is why I say it looks like plastic.

------------------
(>º_º)> ±h³ ѳv³®-£ⁿd¡תּ9 §±ºr¥ <(º_º< ) | (>º_º)> תּℓζ ШǿѓЖ§|-Юρ <(º_º< )

[This message has been edited by SAJN_Master (edited August 24, 2004).]
Think while it's still legal.
2004-08-24, 8:54 AM #5
If it were all dark and creepy, it'd be Doom 3.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-08-24, 8:55 AM #6
Coming from you, Spiral, I'm not supried in the least [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-08-24, 8:58 AM #7
Doom 3 hasn't spooked me once, it's to predictable. My brother and I both agreed that many parts of the game seem to be taken directly from Quake 2 :| or atleast based off it. It's just hard to get scared. You open a door and there is a monster....EVERY SINGLE DOOR!!! it gets boring. I can honestly say that I've been more spooked by FarCry and System Shock 2. Doom 3 I just can't get into. I really try, but it's just not that awesome of a game.

------------------
(>º_º)> ±h³ ѳv³®-£ⁿd¡תּ9 §±ºr¥ <(º_º<) | (>º_º)> תּℓζ ШǿѓЖ§|-Юρ <(º_º<)
Think while it's still legal.
2004-08-24, 8:59 AM #8
Can we all wait till the game comes out before we judge what one is better?

I think even with the graphics you need to play before you can judge how good it is, Seeing some thing in a ss or moive can be differnt then what it looks like while your playing.
2004-08-24, 9:04 AM #9
I was finally able to download the latest Hl2 trailer. After watching that trailer, and the Doom 3 trailer... only one of those games looks completely bad *** , and it is not HL2.

Don't get me wrong, I was excited for HL2 and Doom 3 equally, but Doom 3 is just an awesome game, and the latest HL2 trailer has failed to impress me at all.
------------------
ZGPC

[This message has been edited by finity5 (edited August 24, 2004).]
2004-08-24, 9:11 AM #10
Both games look very nice, but I'm no elitist, just a gamer, so what do I know?

------------------
www.MentatMM.com (status = down :/)
Napalm Death Squad (status = alpha)
2004-08-24, 9:18 AM #11
I want to play HL2 if nothing else but to be able to use a crane to pick up giant metal boxes and drop them on bad guys. I'm not sure what looks cartoonish about it either...

------------------
Check out the following stories over at the Interactive Story Board:
The Never-ending Story Thread or visit the new webcomic version!
The Vision Cycle series
Featured Story: Scions of Light
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2004-08-24, 9:31 AM #12
I agree. HL2 almost looks no better than HL itself.. at least the environments don't. The models are a good improvement.

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-08-24, 9:41 AM #13
Um... if you want ultra realistic, why don't you step outside or something? The game looks awesome, I don't really know what you're complaining about.

------------------
I have a signature.
I have a signature.
2004-08-24, 10:07 AM #14
IMO, Half-Life 2 is going to offer a more diverse and interesting singleplayer experience anyway. Doom 3 is fun, but it's a little too much of the exact same thing for 20+ hours. HL2 ain't the prettiest bird around, but after looking at nothing but a couple of bright spots here and there in any given scene in Doom 3 I wouldn't mind a change.
2004-08-24, 10:11 AM #15
Great- another HL:2-Doom3 flame war. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]
Break out the marsh mellows all! Carefull not to catch them on fire! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]
2004-08-24, 10:23 AM #16
to SAJN... eyes, have them checked... doom 3 looks as plastic as metal, stone, and flesh look... early screenshots yes they looked a little plastic like because they were obviously still working on the game yes the textures are a bit on the low res side but that's because when you combine them with the other texture data it has to be to actually be able to fit onto today's video cards...

on HL2... i think the graphics look quite good... the textures look nice the models look good not at all cartoonish... the environments look A HELL OF ALOT BETTER than HL1 and the zombies don't look dumb... they look like people with headcrabs on them... notice how in the videos when one dies the headcrab jumps off and attacks?

and dark and creepy? i thought Black Mesa was very well lit for most of the game... and there wasn't much creepiness

you want creepy get they hunger... much better than HL IMO and if you haven't played it get it now and play it

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-08-24, 10:23 AM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MadQuack:
Um... if you want ultra realistic, why don't you step outside or something? The game looks awesome, I don't really know what you're complaining about.

</font>

Out... side?

------------------
[16:38] Correction: dick tracy was a real man
[16:38] happydud: Actually... He wasn't. :D
[19:08] Dormouse: hi, my name's happydud and i'm passive-aggress.. SHUTUP!! *stabs nearby orphan*
[You have gained 3 Dark Side Points]
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-08-24, 10:25 AM #18
/me grabs chocolate bars & gram crackers.

since they've yet to make demos of either I haven't decided which is better.

------------------
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."

Grace is the Pleasure of God to magnify the Worth of God by
enabling sinners to delight in God without compromising the Glory of God.
-J. Piper
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2004-08-24, 10:28 AM #19
really a demo can't fully tell you which is better... just give you a idea of how the graphics, gameplay, sound is and how well it runs on your machine

but i'll probably be getting the HL2 demo before HL2 simply because of money... it's something i just don't have

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
2004-08-24, 10:40 AM #20
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MadQuack:

</font>

I did that once. The water looks awesome! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/eek.gif] And the modles are so high poly! I just can't get over the textures and the 3D grass. Very awesome FPS too. I'll have to do it again some time. From what I hear you can only die once, and you can't play any more. It must be Beta or something. :/

Seriously, though, one time a little while ago, I was looking out the window of our car and thought, "Whoa, that water is rendered realy nicly- Wait-..."
2004-08-24, 10:48 AM #21
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MentatMM:
Both games look very nice, but I'm no elitist, just a gamer, so what do I know?</font>
Quoted for truth.

------------------
Wise men say that fools rush in where angels fear to tread, so look before you leap, so to speak, because the grass is not always greener on the other side of the hill.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2004-08-24, 11:05 AM #22
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
to SAJN... eyes, have them checked... doom 3 looks as plastic as metal, stone, and flesh look... early screenshots yes they looked a little plastic like because they were obviously still working on the game yes the textures are a bit on the low res side but that's because when you combine them with the other texture data it has to be to actually be able to fit onto today's video cards...

on HL2... i think the graphics look quite good... the textures look nice the models look good not at all cartoonish... the environments look A HELL OF ALOT BETTER than HL1 and the zombies don't look dumb... they look like people with headcrabs on them... notice how in the videos when one dies the headcrab jumps off and attacks?

and dark and creepy? i thought Black Mesa was very well lit for most of the game... and there wasn't much creepiness

you want creepy get they hunger... much better than HL IMO and if you haven't played it get it now and play it

</font>

Ditto, but SAJN's going to state his opinion on Doom 3 like it's fact no matter what anyone else says.

And I just hope that HL2 is innovative. If it's not, it's got no saving grace. While it LOOKS to be innovative, it's how they execute that innovation which will prove good or bad.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-24, 11:13 AM #23
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
really a demo can't fully tell you which is better... just give you a idea of how the graphics, gameplay, sound is and how well it runs on your machine</font>

Well of course but a demo is going to give you a MUCH better idea of the game than any amount of screenshots or videos.

------------------

Grace is the Pleasure of God to magnify the Worth of God by
enabling sinners to delight in God without compromising the Glory of God.
-J. Piper
2004-08-24, 11:22 AM #24
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Spiral:
...the mats they used on the creatures...
</font>

LOL... have you edited any game besides Jedi Knight? No one calls textures "mats" in other games. We just call them "textures".

-- SavageX

------------------
"...and if you don't like that, then you need to be slugged in the face repeatedly, until my hands are soaked in blood. Have a nice day!"
http://geocities.com/savagex378
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2004-08-24, 11:23 AM #25
[http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]
2004-08-24, 11:26 AM #26
We'll see.
You...................................
.................................................. ........
.................................................. ....rock!
2004-08-24, 11:47 AM #27
Possible spoilers, maybe...

I played Doom 3 for a while and I will admit that there were some amazing things and some genuinely scary things. I played from the very beginning. After the part that you go outside onto the Martian surface and then something happens and you rush back and that flaming skull thing flies right at you really startled me. The atmosphere for a while was really unnerving and the sound really contributed to the mood (people screaming, creaking noises, metallic banging, etc.). I was again really surprised when the first zombie guy starts shooting at you (the first one with a gun). After that it steadily got really boring, really fast. They did some really amazing things really well in this game, but it seems that that is all they could do and simply repeated them over and over again. I haven't really played the previous Doom games or the Quake games so it was a really new experience for me. I commend them for those things that affected me, but beyond that the game breaks down. If there was anything quite as impressive further on into the game, they did not provide any incentive to tolerate the redundancy leading up to it. The pretense of the graphical quality of the game is simply not enough. It is astounding seeing the game for the first time but the visuals never really change as one play on through the game so eventually, growing familiar with all the game has to offer in this aspect, one begins searching for a deeper sense of purpose to keep on playing. Sadly, there is none. This game really isn't in the least bit extraordinary at its core. Suspense is not a one-night stand.
"When it's time for this planet to die, you'll understand that you know absolutely nothing." — Bugenhagen
2004-08-24, 11:56 AM #28
I've never played DooM3, partially because my PC can't handle it, but mainly because from what people have described it as, it seems to just be a long horror/gore movie, with very linear gameplay. I mean, to me, the fun of a FPS is blasting my way through hoards of enemies, not crawling through air-ducts to meet one every half an hour.

However, on the other hand, I've already pre-ordered my copy of HL2, and I'm just keeping my fingers crossed in the hopes that it will be fun.

------------------
GhostOfYoda - General doer of stuff.
Massassi's Official Chatroom: irc.synirc.com #massassi
2004-08-24, 12:01 PM #29
GOY IS A DIRTY DOUBLE POSTER

And there's plenty of enemies. It just starts out a bit slow. Good luck on HL2 though.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-24, 12:06 PM #30
... ten times better then DOOM3.

Fixed.
I beat the internet. The last guy was hard.
2004-08-24, 12:07 PM #31
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ******:
... possibly better than DOOM3.
</font>

fixed [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
2004-08-24, 12:08 PM #32
HL2 is gonna own Doom3. On both gameplay and graphics... Doom3's graphics are overrated IMO. The shadows are incredibly unrealistic, the walls look very low quality when you get near them.

------------------
╔═════════════╦══════════════════╗
║ TheJkWhoSaysNi║ -----@% (Snail racing. ) .║
╠═════════════╩══════════════════╣
║Warning: This post may contain traces of nut║
╚════════════════════════════════╝
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2004-08-24, 12:08 PM #33
OMG ****** IS A BAD PERSON/WORD

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-24, 12:13 PM #34
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TheJkWhoSaysNi:
Doom 3 is gonna own HL2. On both gameplay and graphics... HL2's graphics are overrated IMO. The shadows are incredibly unrealistic, the walls look very low quality when you get near them.</font>

Fixed because you lie [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
ZGPC
2004-08-24, 12:21 PM #35
And JKWhoSaysNi, have you played on High? Or even Medium?? I have, and everything still looks amazing up close. The same goes for any game--on low, it looks worse than on High.

HL2 graphics cease to impress me. They're more realistic, sure, but they're just not...better.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-24, 12:23 PM #36
I tried it on Ultra at 1600x1200 just to see (I got about 7fps though :P) the walls still look very pixelated when you get close. All the edges look very jagged. I'll get you a screenshot..

------------------
╔═════════════╦══════════════════╗
║ TheJkWhoSaysNi║ -----@% (Snail racing. ) .║
╠═════════════╩══════════════════╣
║Warning: This post may contain traces of nut║
╚════════════════════════════════╝
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2004-08-24, 12:25 PM #37
Of COURSE the edges are jagged--AA and AF. And I've gone ultra, and looked at the walls, no pixelation.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-24, 2:20 PM #38
I'm sorry, but if the hl2 creatures' "mats" look cartoony to you, something is definatly wrong
cartoon creature?

also, you can't even count how many steps hl2's models are above doom3's. The environments are also very awesome.
wow it's like omq!! looks totally sooo like a real city!!!

..also how can you say the gore looks fake?? don't tell me you've been cutting people in half in real life to know this...

the only thing that bugs me about HL2 is the disintergration effects. It looks like they are "accending" like from stargate SG-1.

[edits] links

------------------
I am __Ace_1__ , and I approve this message.

[This message has been edited by Ace1 (edited August 24, 2004).]

I am _ Ace_1 _ , and I approve this message.
2004-08-24, 3:37 PM #39
Er, HL2 hardly looks like a cartoon. It doesn't have the photorealism of STALKER but it's still very good. Unfortunately it is somewhat gimped by static lighting.

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-08-24, 3:48 PM #40
Oh for the love of god wait for the game!
You...................................
.................................................. ........
.................................................. ....rock!

↑ Up to the top!