Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Half Life 2 looks...
Half Life 2 looks...
2004-08-24, 3:49 PM #41
Doom3 sucks. It didn't keep my attention for more than a few levels. The graphics were interesting, but the locale was boring and the gameplay was not much fun either. The scare effect wears down very quickly.

------------------
Ω of 14
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2004-08-24, 3:51 PM #42
Yes, it does look "aweful".
insofar that it's full of awe.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-08-24, 4:33 PM #43
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:

And I just hope that HL2 is innovative. If it's not, it's got no saving grace. While it LOOKS to be innovative, it's how they execute that innovation which will prove good or bad.

</font>

Doom 3 wasn't innovative. What was its saving grace?

------------------
Moo.
Moo.
2004-08-24, 4:34 PM #44
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SAJN_Master:
Sorry, Half-Life 2 looks hella realistic. Because it isn't 100% bumpmapped like Doom3. That's why up close on all Doom3 textures it looks crappy. Far Cry looked nice except for the bumpmapped stuff, barrels, some walls etc. You could tell what was bumpmapped in FarCry because it looks plastic and fake like and upclose the textures look horrible. Doom 3 looks 100% like that, which is why I say it looks like plastic.

</font>

I have to say, bump mapping isnt as bad as you make it out to be.. playing with everything on ultra detail, nothing ever looked crappy to me, but then again i dont run right up to walls to see if the texture still looks good at point blank... considering its not supposed to from that distance.

------------------
"Ahhhh!! I'm Burnin'! I'm Burnin!!!" - Cleaner from Max Payne 2

"Why are they called headphones... why not... Headspeakers?" - finity5
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2004-08-24, 4:48 PM #45
well..ill answer the question the thread asked instead of talking about computer games or dissing other people about their hobbies like a jerk.

i take kung fu, which is a sport i guess. i do like playing cricket and rugby a lot but i can rarely get enough people together to play a recreational game. i used to be in a womens rugby league in my province but that ended shortly when they moved the age limit up *so i was too young to play*..now ive been not playin for too long to get back into it successfully

------------------
[teletubbie voice] BIG HUG!!!! [/teletubbie voice]
[teletubbie voice] BIG HUG!!!! [/teletubbie voice]
2004-08-24, 4:49 PM #46
... I think you got the wrong thread there Wolvie ... [http://faerygarden.netfirms.com/emoticons/wobblyeyes.gif]

[This message has been edited by CavEmaN (edited August 24, 2004).]
2004-08-24, 4:50 PM #47
Um, I think you have the wrong thread. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Map-Review | My Portfolio | The Matrix: Unplugged

Banks and banks of humming machinery! I've never seen so many knobs. We're going to have to do something, Charlie! Try pushing that button there. No? How about that one? No, not that one either. I know! I'll try pushing this one. Hold my hat will you? Good fellow.
2004-08-24, 4:52 PM #48
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ace1:
I'm sorry, but if the hl2 creatures' "mats" look cartoony to you, something is definatly wrong
cartoon creature?

also, you can't even count how many steps hl2's models are above doom3's. The environments are also very awesome.
wow it's like omq!! looks totally sooo like a real city!!!

..also how can you say the gore looks fake?? don't tell me you've been cutting people in half in real life to know this...

the only thing that bugs me about HL2 is the disintergration effects. It looks like they are "accending" like from stargate SG-1.

[edits] links

</font>

First, Doom 3 and HL2's models are on par, if Doom 3's aren't better. HL2 has better FACES, but that's it. Second, Doom 3's saving grace was pure fun gameplay and nostalgia. I never had fun with HL the original. It just never immersed me. If HL2 is the same, then I see no reason to think it will be any better.

Third--Brad, don't forget that's your opinion. Aparrently, when it comes to Doom 3, opinions vary wildly to the extremes.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-24, 5:21 PM #49
Quote:
Second, Doom 3's saving grace was pure fun gameplay and nostalgia. I never had fun with HL the original. It just never immersed me. If HL2 is the same, then I see no reason to think it will be any better.</font>

Quote:
Ditto, but SAJN's going to state his opinion on Doom 3 like it's fact no matter what anyone else says.

And I just hope that HL2 is innovative. If it's not, it's got no saving grace. While it LOOKS to be innovative, it's how they execute that innovation which will prove good or bad.

</font>

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Third--Brad, don't forget that's your opinion. Aparrently, when it comes to Doom 3, opinions vary wildly to the extremes.

</font>

... Does no one else notice the hypocrisy here?

------------------
Moo.

[This message has been edited by A_Big_Fat_CoW (edited August 24, 2004).]
Moo.
2004-08-24, 5:23 PM #50
Except he said it sucked. I just said HL2 might not be any better than HL. Depending on your OPINION of HL, that could be bad, or good.

------------------
There is no signature

[This message has been edited by Dj Yoshi (edited August 24, 2004).]
D E A T H
2004-08-24, 6:33 PM #51
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
HL2 has better FACES, but that's it</font>

...remember that faces are part of the model too..

I'm sure hl2 models have a waaaay higher polycount than doom3 models. doom3 models look like they have alot of detail only because of the normal maps, but you can see the jagged edges, and the jaggedness kills in this day and age(I think I can make a smoother looking player model for JK! ..of all things... DUN DUN DUN). also, from what it looks like on the hl2 creature, normal maps can do the same on hl2 models too.

------------------
I am __Ace_1__ , and I approve this message.

[This message has been edited by Ace1 (edited August 24, 2004).]
I am _ Ace_1 _ , and I approve this message.
2004-08-24, 6:39 PM #52
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ace1:
I'm sure hl2 models have a waaaay higher polycount than doom3 models. doom3 models look like they have alot of detail only because of the normal maps, but you can see the jagged edges, and the jaggedness kills in this day and age(I think I can make a smoother looking player model for JK! ..of all things... DUN DUN DUN). also, from what it looks like on the hl2 creature, normal maps can do the same on hl2 models too.

</font>

Check the numbers. They're very similar. You have no idea what you're talking about.

And also, jaggies doesn't mean low poly. It means you don't have AA and AF on. Get your facts straight.

------------------
There is no signature

D E A T H
2004-08-24, 6:43 PM #53
Octagon skulls, and the ones that shoot fire balls have really block features.

------------------
(>º_º)> ±h³ ѳv³®-£ⁿd¡תּ9 §±ºr¥ <(º_º<) | (>º_º)> תּℓζ ШǿѓЖ§|-Юρ <(º_º<)
Think while it's still legal.
2004-08-24, 6:46 PM #54
Jesus christ bananas. SAJN--they're not octagonal, and they're probably low-poly because...well...they're a head. Heads aren't that high poly. Great example genius, one semi-low poly model that should be semi-low poly. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

------------------
There is no signature

D E A T H
2004-08-24, 7:06 PM #55
[http://img12.exs.cx/img12/1361/pointydinosaur.gif]
FEAR THE POINTY DINOSAUR!!!!
watch your angles!!!

... I don't know where to find the numbers, but if they are in fact very close, I didn't know the ID modelers were this bad at modeling

------------------
2004-08-24, 7:06 PM #56
They sure as hell didn't look octagonal to me.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-08-24, 7:07 PM #57
First--that's an OLD shot, if I remember correctly, pre-alpha.

Second--that's just the front, not the rear of the beast.

Third--It looks MUCH better in motion. Play the game.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-24, 7:08 PM #58
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Avenger:
They sure as hell didn't look octagonal to me.

</font>

Great pun. XD

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-24, 7:32 PM #59
I'm sure it looks alot better in motion, but, also remember, things will be in motion in HL2 too...

------------------
2004-08-24, 8:40 PM #60
They're both the same game: You shoot things. I honestly don't see how people find so many differences in such similar games. Honestly, the graphics are generally the same. Give me the same level made in both engines, I'd be willing to bed, give and take a few minor differences in shadow rendering, they'll be almsot the same. I will buy BOTH of these games, because I have the money, and I'm not biased towards one franchise because of their previous games. I just want to play a decent FPS. Farcry gave me this, and I think their player models were way too plasticky feeling. I didn't care. I just played.

I'll make a judgement to which is better based on gameplay, graphics, sound, and storyline once, you know, both games are out, and in my posession..

JediKirby

------------------
jEDIkIRBY - Putting the Romance back into Necromancer.
Proud Leader of the Minnessassian Council

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-08-24, 8:48 PM #61
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">First--that's an OLD shot, if I remember correctly, pre-alpha.

Second--that's just the front, not the rear of the beast.

Third--It looks MUCH better in motion. Play the game.</font>

First - Not really, I have the game they look just like that

Second - I'm sure we all spend time trying to get BEHIND monsters, and not just shoot them from the front.

Third - Not really.

------------------
(>º_º)> ±h³ ѳv³®-£ⁿd¡תּ9 §±ºr¥ <(º_º<) | (>º_º)> תּℓζ ШǿѓЖ§|-Юρ <(º_º<)
Think while it's still legal.
2004-08-24, 11:20 PM #62
Funny how you tell people to get their facts straight...Where's the law that says two models which have similar polygon counts must look equally good? Sorry, but the models in Doom 3 do have a low poly look, even if they aren't. If the polygon counts are as high as you say they are, then id just didn't do as good a job modeling.

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-08-25, 1:52 AM #63
*sigh* What can I say, if everyone wants to hate Doom 3, with or without playing it, they're going to hate it. **** it.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-25, 5:58 AM #64
I think you guys like to wait fore the games instead of playing them. Doom 3 is out and half of the threads just go into Stalker. and after Stalker comes out, you will play it and find everything thing wrong about it, ***** about it, and then talk about how cool the next game coming out will be. Just enjoy the game.

------------------

~~Because Eric does Rock Your World~~
░▒▓█▓▒░?░▒▓█▓▒░
2004-08-25, 6:31 AM #65
Quote:
*sigh* What can I say, if everyone wants to hate Doom 3, with or without playing it, they're going to hate it. **** it.</font>

...just because a person thinks that Half-Life 2 looks better doesn't mean they hate DooM3.

------------------
<ubuu> does hitler have a last name?
<jipe> .. yes, Ubuu, we're racist commy nazi jews, and we hate male pattern baldness
<Professor`K> Sorry, but half-way through your logic, my head exploded
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-08-25, 6:43 AM #66
Quote:
*sigh* What can I say, if everyone wants to hate Doom 3, with or without playing it, they're going to hate it. **** it.</font>

Nice dodge. Hey, I like Doom 3, I'm only agreeing that the models have a low poly look, if they are or aren't low poly. Can't you just accept that and like the game like I do? Why does Doom 3 have to be the best?

------------------
2004-08-25, 10:27 AM #67
You can't tell me that this looks scary...
[http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/536/536250/half-life-2-20040805101116687.jpg]

------------------
| | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
|
|
||||||||||||||||||||
2004-08-25, 10:42 AM #68
of course that's not scary, if you had a magnum revolver that big, you wouldn't be afraid of anything. and i dont think those are supposed to be scary, like hl1, they are just alien creatures acting on instict, not hell demons out to destroy you

------------------
2004-08-25, 10:45 AM #69
No, spiral. It doesn't look scary. It looks f*cking awesome.

Oh yeah, read this.

http://www.whutdufuk.com/?post=632287876827187500

Doom 3 is pwnd by HL2.

Oh and yeah, it might be scary if there were 7 monsters. But I think he's got enough shots in that gun to cover it.
------------------
Change is never a choice. You change, and you are who you have become. And there's not a damned thing you can do about it.

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited August 25, 2004).]
>>untie shoes
2004-08-25, 10:56 AM #70
Quote:

I agree. It isnt worth arguing with HL2 fanboys.

------------------
ZGPC
2004-08-25, 10:56 AM #71
Half-Life wasn't supposed to be scary. Half-Life 2 probably isn't supposed to be scary. What's your point?

[Edit] And don't start with the "fanboy"-calling. You guys are as much Doom 3 fanboys as they are HL2 fanboys. What with Dj Yoshi and his inability to accept that Doom 3 actually has flaws, and finity5 saying Doom 3 is the best game ever and that you're stupid if you don't agree.

Hell, if you think I'm making this up, I'll go back and dig up older posts. But yeah, if I were you, I wouldn't be calling anyone fanboys.

------------------
Moo.

[This message has been edited by A_Big_Fat_CoW (edited August 25, 2004).]
Moo.
2004-08-25, 10:58 AM #72
i just assumed it was supposta be a horror 1st person shooter

------------------
| | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
|
|
||||||||||||||||||||
2004-08-25, 11:27 AM #73
What happened to games just being based on fun?

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

---------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info (I don't know why I have this still in my sig)
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-08-25, 11:45 AM #74
I have to put a stop to this. SOme of you are jsut being too reasonable and it's taking away from the comical nature of this thread [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?

↑ Up to the top!