Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Christian witchhunt taken to a ****ing terrifying extreme
Christian witchhunt taken to a ****ing terrifying extreme
2009-08-03, 10:32 AM #1
In honor of the latest drama queen thread title I bring to you something truly terrifying. From the Times of London story as brought to us by the bigoted, extremist, and evil Fox News Channel.

Quote:
Paramilitary troops patrolled the streets of a town in eastern Pakistan yesterday after Muslim radicals burned to death eight members of a Christian family, raising fears of violence spreading to other areas.

Hundreds of armed supporters of Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, an outlawed Islamic militant group, burned dozens of Christian homes in Gojra over the weekend after allegations that a copy of the Koran had been defiled.

The mob opened fire indiscriminately, threw gas bombs and looted houses as thousands of frightened Christians ran for safety. “They were shouting anti-Christian slogans and attacked our houses,” Rafiq Masih, a resident of the predominantly Christian colony, said. Residents said that police stood aside while the mob went on the rampage. “We kept begging for protection, but police did not take action,” Masih said.

Police and local officials said that at least eight people, including four women and a child, were killed in the fires. Two others died of gunshot wounds. Residents said that the casualties were much higher; one claimed that the number of dead could be in the dozens as many bodies were still buried under the rubble. Shahbaz Bhatti, the Minister for Minorities, said that 40 Christian homes were torched in rioting. He said there was no truth to allegations that a Koran had been defiled, and accused the police of ignoring his appeal to provide protection to Christians.

Tension started mounting last week after Muslims accused three Christian youths of burning a copy of the Koran. They denied the allegations, but clerics called for their death. On Saturday, hundreds of supporters of Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, an outlawed Sunni sectarian group, poured into the town from surrounding districts. The group is believed to have close links with Al Qaeda and has been involved in several terrorist attacks targeting security forces in recent years.

Television footage showed armed men running through the streets, gunfire, and women and children wailing. Blackened furniture lay outside burning homes, while a group of people rushed a man suffering from burns on a cart through the streets. Rehman Malik, the Interior Minister, said that the paramilitary troops were sent after police and the local administration failed to control the situation. Security forces were also placed on high alert to prevent violence from spreading to other towns of Punjab.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2009-08-03, 10:46 AM #2
Congrats, this is now a thread about Fox News.
2009-08-03, 10:53 AM #3
[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/garosaon/yipyip.jpg]
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2009-08-03, 11:20 AM #4
Muslim extremists killing Christians in Pakistan. I'm not shocked in the least.
Pissed Off?
2009-08-03, 11:26 AM #5
People killing in the name of religion? Unthinkable.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2009-08-03, 1:02 PM #6
What's this thread for? Is it a parody thread? Are you trolling for an argument about Fox News? Is there some other, bigger point that I'm missing? Are we just supposed to comment on what a tragic story this is?

It'd be helpful to know what we're supposed to be discussing.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2009-08-03, 1:02 PM #7
Man I want to know the anti-Christian slogans they were shouting; I need a new signature.
Stuff
2009-08-03, 1:59 PM #8
How can this story, and it's reporting, possible be an argument against fox news?

Whatever.

Anyway, here's how it works.

Muslim guy : Hahaha! Watch this bible burn!
Christian guy : Please don't do that.

Christian guy : Hahaha! Watch this koran burn!
Muslim guy : I KILL YOU!
2009-08-03, 2:27 PM #9
Those Muslims are going to have to kill a whole lot more Christians if they're going to come anywhere near the Christrians' position on the Religious Persecution Highscore.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2009-08-03, 2:31 PM #10
Muslims killed Christians during the Crusades too.
Pissed Off?
2009-08-03, 2:32 PM #11
Also I think Wookie narrowly escapes the 'parody title' infringement by his gratutitious inability to be funny. Or clever. Or right.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
2009-08-03, 2:42 PM #12
Agreed. :colbert:
nope.
2009-08-03, 2:45 PM #13
The religious just can't kill one another quick enough for my taste. Is there anything that we can do to speed up this process?
? :)
2009-08-03, 2:46 PM #14
Arm more of them.

We need a bunker though.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-08-03, 2:56 PM #15
I'm very confused, the actions described by the article are very depressing, but I don't understand the rest of the original post.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2009-08-03, 3:06 PM #16
Detty, I think they're all still trying to use atrocities committed hundreds of years ago by people who are long dead to justify atrocities committed yesterday.

I know. I'm boggled too.
2009-08-03, 3:33 PM #17
Originally posted by JM:
Detty, I think they're all still trying to use atrocities committed hundreds of years ago by people who are long dead to justify atrocities committed yesterday.

I know. I'm boggled too.

Justify? No. Understand that violence and conflict is an inevitable product of religion? Yes.
2009-08-03, 3:36 PM #18
I like rice.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2009-08-03, 4:34 PM #19
Originally posted by Detty:
I'm very confused, the actions described by the article are very depressing, but I don't understand the rest of the original post.

The title of the thread pokes fun at the title of Mort's recent thread that included nothing terrifying or extreme. However, even though I knowingly posted in possible violation of the "no parody thread" rule, I figured it would be safe since it actually included something terrifying and extreme, unlike the other thread. The content of the opening post made fun of the :tinfoil:s that complain every time Fox News is used as a source for a news story even though practically all the major news websites use all the same sources and the articles are generally identical.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2009-08-03, 5:00 PM #20
Originally posted by Wookie06:
The title of the thread pokes fun at the title of Mort's recent thread that included nothing terrifying or extreme. However, even though I knowingly posted in possible violation of the "no parody thread" rule, I figured it would be safe since it actually included something terrifying and extreme, unlike the other thread. The content of the opening post made fun of the :tinfoil:s that complain every time Fox News is used as a source for a news story even though practically all the major news websites use all the same sources and the articles are generally identical.

Ignore this post.

Everyone should act as if Wookie hadn't posted this thread, but instead someone else of your choosing.
2009-08-03, 5:06 PM #21
I choose Squirrel King.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2009-08-03, 5:06 PM #22
OP is fat
2009-08-03, 6:07 PM #23
The content of the opening post made fun of the :tinfoil:s that complain every time Fox News is used as a source for a news story even though practically all the major news websites use all the same sources and the articles are generally identical.

Didn't you do this exact thing several times before?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-08-03, 6:15 PM #24
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Everyone should act as if Wookie hadn't posted this thread, but instead someone else of your choosing.

Can we get a mod to add a poll for who the thread is actually by?

I nominate Tibby.
Why do the heathens rage behind the firehouse?
2009-08-03, 6:16 PM #25
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:

Yeah, but this is what he does. He does it. Learn to accept it. Maybe even participate in an argument with him.
:master::master::master:
2009-08-03, 6:18 PM #26
I think I might spam this thread because my post in another thread got deleted and I'm still trying to hit 10,000
Stuff
2009-08-03, 6:40 PM #27
Originally posted by TheCarpKing:
Can we get a mod to add a poll for who the thread is actually by?

I nominate Tibby.

It wouldn't surprise me if one does but to me that would seem to demean the seriousness of the topic. The thread title may be in jest at the previous thread but the topic is serious.

Originally posted by ECHOMAN:

I believe I have commented on it a few times but hardly anything remarkable. Certainly nothing on a par with what equates to "burgerboy" comments about Fox News that appear here regularly. Specifically on my mind was some member's post about how he refused to support anything Fox News by clicking the link so another member posted an alternate site for the exact same AP story and I did comment on that in that thread. So I kindly posted the link to the source material. Of course it is all questionable since I got that link from the Fox News article.

2009-08-03, 6:48 PM #28
Specifically on my mind was some member's post about how he refused to support anything Fox News by clicking the link so another member posted an alternate site for the exact same AP story

Would you rather eat an opened candy bar that has been sitting on the ground or the same candy bar fresh out of the package? After all, there's really very little chance that the one on the floor is significantly tainted, and they were the same to begin with.
Why do the heathens rage behind the firehouse?
2009-08-03, 6:51 PM #29
I guess the real question is why you would be reading fox news in the first place.

is the rest of the media really controlled by a liberal conspiracy
Stuff
2009-08-03, 6:53 PM #30
Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane:
What's this thread for? Is it a parody thread? Are you trolling for an argument about Fox News? Is there some other, bigger point that I'm missing? Are we just supposed to comment on what a tragic story this is?

It'd be helpful to know what we're supposed to be discussing.

I'm sorry, didn't mean to ignore your question. You may consider the thread title a parody, if you wish, but I more considered the previous thread's title a parody of that threads contents. I am not trolling for an argument about Fox News. I don't care enough about the prejudices of members here to argue any differing views. I can't think of a bigger point than the ones in the story so if you read and understood the story you probably got the big points. I guess I could have expressed more opinion than simply stating the story was terrifying and extreme. Perhaps I should have expressed concern for the safety of our fellow Massassians living in Pakistan.

Seriously, though, it is hard to imagine the horror of living the life of such a persecuted minority. We are all truly blessed to have been born in the civilized world.

2009-08-03, 6:53 PM #31
contributing to an already contributed to thread.
Attachment: 22450/downslinkhueg.jpg (443,185 bytes)
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2009-08-03, 6:56 PM #32
Nice link

oohhhhhhh i see what you did there
Stuff
2009-08-03, 7:06 PM #33
Originally posted by TheCarpKing:
Would you rather eat an opened candy bar that has been sitting on the ground or the same candy bar fresh out of the package? After all, there's really very little chance that the one on the floor is significantly tainted, and they were the same to begin with.

That doesn't even make sense. Do you even know what AP is and how their stories are distributed? And are you argueing against your own point when you say there is really very little chance that the one on the floor is significantly tainted or is it your point that the Fox News article (candy on the ground?) probably isn't significantly tainted?

2009-08-03, 7:19 PM #34
In the spirit of Wookie, I'm having great fun visiting sites like http://www.catholic.org/ and mentally replacing the words 'Catholic' with 'Paedophile'. It all makes much more sense now.
2009-08-03, 7:23 PM #35
Seriously, though, it is hard to imagine the horror of living the life of such a persecuted minority. We are all truly blessed to have been born in the civilized world.

[http://agitprop.typepad.com/agitprop/images/lynching.jpg]
2009-08-03, 7:24 PM #36
My brother used to have that as his TF2 spray but I made him bring the Space Pickle back.

uh, I mean link. He used to have link.

what fortuitous timing
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2009-08-03, 7:35 PM #37
We are all truly blessed to have been born in the civilized world.

Funny
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2009-08-03, 7:43 PM #38
Christian witchhunt taken to a ****ing terrifying extreme
2009-08-03, 7:51 PM #39
Mort, I know you are prone to offensive material but why would you post that?

Originally posted by Admiral Zarn:
Funny

The civilized world is not without its issues but I would take it with all of its problems over the alternative any day.

2009-08-03, 8:27 PM #40
is this real

are you for real
"Honey, you got real ugly."

↑ Up to the top!