Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Christian witchhunt taken to a ****ing terrifying extreme
Christian witchhunt taken to a ****ing terrifying extreme
2009-08-03, 8:32 PM #41
Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
[http://agitprop.typepad.com/agitprop/images/lynching.jpg]

That was like, 50 years ago. Now we're civilized.
2009-08-03, 8:48 PM #42
OMG OUR ANCESTORS DID SOME BAD **** MAN WE TOTALLY DESERVE TO BE BLOWN UP NOW!
2009-08-03, 8:57 PM #43
Originally posted by JM:
How can this story, and it's reporting, possible be an argument against fox news?

Whatever.

Anyway, here's how it works.

Muslim guy : Hahaha! Watch this bible burn!
Christian guy : Please don't do that.

Christian guy : Hahaha! Watch this koran burn!
Muslim guy : I KILL YOU!

Have you never met a christian?
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2009-08-03, 8:58 PM #44
Not to worry; we are doing bad **** now too.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2009-08-03, 9:07 PM #45
Originally posted by Deadman:

Have you?
Pissed Off?
2009-08-03, 10:13 PM #46
Originally posted by Wookie06:
That doesn't even make sense. Do you even know what AP is and how their stories are distributed? And are you argueing against your own point when you say there is really very little chance that the one on the floor is significantly tainted or is it your point that the Fox News article (candy on the ground?) probably isn't significantly tainted?

I'm saying that no matter how many things you eat off the floor without getting sick, the floor is still dirty.
Why do the heathens rage behind the firehouse?
2009-08-04, 5:11 AM #47
Originally posted by Deadman:

That's fairly accurate of how most christians react.

Fundies, extremists and most of the US demoninations don't count for the majority.

:ninja:
nope.
2009-08-04, 6:46 AM #48
Well, now we know. And knowing is half the battle!
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-08-04, 8:04 AM #49
Originally posted by 'Thrawn[numbarz:
;1023869']That was like, 50 years ago. Now we're civilized.

It is also important to note that the person that posted that picture apparantly, according to his signature, believes in moral relativism. Moral relativism can be used to justify or excuse any behaviour, including any number of possible scenarios related to the event pictured.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2009-08-04, 8:08 AM #50
Originally posted by Wookie06:
It is also important to note that the person that posted that picture apparantly, according to his signature, believes in moral relativism. Moral relativism can be used to justify or excuse any behaviour, including any number of possible scenarios related to the event pictured.

Mort doesn't get to set his title. :P
nope.
2009-08-04, 8:41 AM #51
Oh man, are we back to retarded interpretations of philosophical concepts? We covered this, in great depth, years ago. Moral relativism simply posits that there is no objective moral authority and that ethical frameworks are a social construct. It makes no impact upon the strength of conviction of any partical moral position, only its origin. It doesn't alter the approach to any ethical dilemma, it just makes the observation that the statement 'murder is wrong' is fundamentally different in origin to the statement 'the sky is blue'. It doesn't affect the relative truths of either statement.

Moral relativism does not entail moral nihilism any more than atheism entails hedonism.

Though I imagine writing this is a waste of time, as your belief system by its very construction demands smug superiority to constantly validate the illusion of a moral authority.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2009-08-04, 8:50 AM #52
Originally posted by Baconfish:
Mort doesn't get to set his title. :P

I added him to my ignore list last night so I must have mistaken that. I thought it was his signature. If I click to view his post it doesn't show the signature now. I thought maybe when someone was set to ignore it moved it to that area. I should have known better. My bad. However, it wouldn't surprise me if he does believe in moral relativism when you consider some of his outlandish statements such as support for the 9/11 attacks which he apparantly no longer remembers doing. I'll never forget it, though.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2009-08-04, 9:03 AM #53
You don't think morality is relative? You don't think the hijackers in 9/11, Muslims that burned these Christians, Christians that killed non-Christians in the Crusades, or even modern day people who get their sons and daughter's genitalia cut off are doing things that they fully and coherently believe are moral?

This is one of the major problems I have with assuming that morality can possibly be objective. It ignores our evolutionary origins. Things are good for a society/species/person if it works. We feel empathy for other people's suffering because it was evolutionarily necessary. A completely different perspective is that all other people are competitors to kill. That doesn't seem very conducive to me, but in certain circumstances, it's the only thing you can do to survive. Moral things are what is conducive to the most people, but even that comes down to time and place.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-08-04, 9:59 AM #54
Just ignore opposing views. Classic Wookie.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
2009-08-04, 10:06 AM #55
stuff

oh i am sorry mort. i was not aware you were alive when lynch mobs were prevalent. my mistake. i am glad we cleared that little snafu up.

Justify? No. Understand that violence and conflict is an inevitable product of religion? Yes.

and what the hell is this. come on, i know your not an idiot.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2009-08-04, 10:14 AM #56
Originally posted by Baconfish:
That's fairly accurate of how most christians react.

Fundies, extremists and most of the US demoninations don't count for the majority.

:ninja:

you also have to apply that logic to muslims too though.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2009-08-04, 10:36 AM #57
Violence and conflict is an inevitable product of life, religion is merely an excuse. To suggest religion is the reason for violence is to completely misunderstand humanity.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2009-08-04, 11:58 AM #58
I dunno, I'm an atheist and I've never hurt anyone

*is smug*

img-smug.gif
Stuff
2009-08-04, 12:30 PM #59
-smugs kyle with infidel sex-
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2009-08-04, 12:32 PM #60
Mmmm. Hot infidel sex.

/me joins infidel orgy
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2009-08-04, 12:45 PM #61
[http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs142.snc1/5248_1192475778193_1417357766_30542004_284166_n.jpg]
2009-08-04, 1:32 PM #62
Originally posted by Darth_Alran:
you also have to apply that logic to muslims too though.

I never said otherwise. :P
nope.
2009-08-05, 9:40 AM #63
Originally posted by kyle90:
I dunno, I'm an atheist and I've never hurt anyone

*is smug*

img-smug.gif

greed, jealousy, and fear are inerrant parts of human nature. these often breed violence. religion need not be a factor. furthermore not all religious people are violent and not all atheists are peaceful.
2009-08-05, 10:43 AM #64
Greed, jealousy and fear are inherent parts of society, not human nature.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2009-08-05, 10:47 AM #65
FEAR is not an inherent part of human nature?
2009-08-05, 11:04 AM #66
I believe it is environmental.
2009-08-05, 11:39 AM #67
Originally posted by Darth_Alran:
not all atheists are peaceful.

That is NOT TRUE!

[http://shadowwar.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/stalin.jpg]

Errr.... Well...
>>untie shoes
2009-08-05, 1:55 PM #68
Quote:
greed, jealousy, and fear are inerrant parts of human nature. these often breed violence. religion need not be a factor. furthermore not all religious people are violent and not all atheists are peaceful.

Zully is right, though he does not even realize the extent to which he is correct! The problem here is not human nature! Human nature is kind, and loving, and sharing! Everyone comes into this world innocent and loving everybody, it is only through suffering that they learn to be bad. Going around telling everyone that they are inherently evil and must fight against their own nature is the exact opposite of the truth!
2009-08-05, 2:19 PM #69
So cavement weren't scared of whatever predators they had?
I dunno, that one I don't agree with.
2009-08-05, 2:23 PM #70
That would be enviromental.
nope.
2009-08-05, 2:54 PM #71
Unless it's instinctual. Fight or flight isn't a learned reaction.
Pissed Off?
2009-08-05, 4:09 PM #72
Human beings are born with very few instinctual behaviors. Nearly everything has to be taught.
>>untie shoes
2009-08-05, 5:25 PM #73
Originally posted by JM:
Zully is right, though he does not even realize the extent to which he is correct! The problem here is not human nature! Human nature is kind, and loving, and sharing! Everyone comes into this world innocent and loving everybody, it is only through suffering that they learn to be bad. Going around telling everyone that they are inherently evil and must fight against their own nature is the exact opposite of the truth!

i am not saying that humans are bad by default, i am saying that people have the capacity to do "bad" things as well as good without necessarily having to be "taught" to do them.
2009-08-05, 7:32 PM #74
I am.

I think that we are born "bad" but taught to be "good."

Then again, "good" is a point of view , Anakin .
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2009-08-06, 7:16 AM #75
Violence is an inevitable product of religion because it galvanises a social group through conflict with an out-group. A collective identity is formed and legitimised by opposition to external forces; they are defined by what they are not rather than what they are.

This is indeed true of many different sorts of social groups, but religion is unique in its closeness, cultural rigidity and single-minded clarity in its absolute 'truth'. Any action that is legitimised by a religious belief is above any 'normal' social or moral authority, and so the power of religion (and the brutality of that action) cannot be questioned. An opposition to that brutality only strengthens the religious belief as it enhances the collective persecution. Søren Kierkegaard wrote about this extensively, how religion can transcend 'universal' moral standards; he argues that the sacrifice of Abraham was the "teleological suspension of the ethical." Religion, by its supernatural nature, cannot submit to any 'natural' authority and cannot be moderated by rationality.

Religion requires social conflict to enhance symbolic boundaries to keep it from imploding internally. Catholocism is framed by the internal conflict between the church of piety and the church of power, and this stimulates reform to restore its evangelical outreach and internal theological identity. Religions make extraordinary promises if individuals give up social status, social norms, or even personal survival, and this is a perfect vehicle for socially marginalised groups to gain seemingly supernatural powers if they submit to a religious authority.

It is possible that religions actively seek violence because it is functional in strengthening collective identity, but I don't think this is likely. I think it is more likely that the modern religions that we see today are the ones that have created sufficient conflict, externally and internally, to protect itself and survive; a sort of crude 'survival of the fittest' of competing religions. Historically, religion is a product of violence and conflict, and now violence and conflict are a product of religion.

Whether humans are born 'good' and corrupted by society, or born 'evil' and redeemed by society, is a very deep and profound question that Locke wrote about (while running from smoke monsters), but my argument treats religion as a social construct so doesn't rely on any particular answer to that question.
2009-08-06, 9:52 AM #76
This is indeed true of many different sorts of social groups

[http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/5332/stonecutters.gif]
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-08-06, 10:15 AM #77
still violence as a product of religion is not "inevitable" violence is a product of human interaction. "religion" is just a tool, its like blaming guns for killing people, and not the person pulling the trigger, or me blaming my pencil for misspelling a word on a spelling test.
2009-08-06, 10:38 AM #78
also, morals are relative.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2009-08-06, 1:52 PM #79
Originally posted by JM:

Yeah, that must be it. I said it, but I don't understand the words that are coming out of my mouth. Darn those damned ideas to hell for going right over my head.

↑ Up to the top!