Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Twin Towers
Twin Towers
2009-08-11, 4:44 PM #1
Anyone else feel weird when they see a movie with the twin towers?
I'm pretty apathetic and don't have emotional feelings for the most part.
But whenever I see the twin towers I am like "****!"
Anyone else?
2009-08-11, 4:49 PM #2
The twin towers didn't "hit" me until recently, when I watched this video:

"You can say that lady, you're in an airconditioned building" totally ****ed my **** up.

When the towers fall, every single time, I cry. Something feels so real about this video that puts me there where I couldn't empathize before.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-08-11, 4:49 PM #3
I usually just give it a thought, but I don't always think of the tradegy. Its not because I don't care, I was as shaken as anyone when it happened, I'm just the type who turns the page on the past. So I just end up not thinking about it.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2009-08-11, 4:52 PM #4
I was appalled when they started editing the towers out of pictures, movies, and tv shows. I'd rather see them and think about it than try to pretend it didn't happen.
2009-08-11, 4:55 PM #5
Ugh ok that video just had me flipping back a few pages. The last part... ouch.
2009-08-11, 5:01 PM #6
I thought it was kind of weird to see it in Watchmen (dunno why), but besides that it doesn't really phase me.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2009-08-11, 5:01 PM #7
People die. Sometimes people die because other people are made at us for killing their people. When I see the towers, I think "huh, those aren't there anymore."
2009-08-11, 5:15 PM #8
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Sorry, don't know how to play this video :(

Wow... the last part...
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2009-08-11, 5:27 PM #9
There's an awesome documentary called Man on Wire, that really shows how iconic those buildings were
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2009-08-11, 5:38 PM #10
Originally posted by Brian:
I was appalled when they started editing the towers out of pictures, movies, and tv shows. I'd rather see them and think about it than try to pretend it didn't happen.

They weren't pretty buildings to begin with.

Of course, I am in no way advocating destruction carried through in such violent means. Nor am I satisfied or happy with such loss of life.

It's just, they were an eyesore in the NYC skyline.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-08-11, 5:40 PM #11
Originally posted by Brian:

I agree. I don't think they are trying to pretend it didn't happen. But everyone is afraid of offending someone.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2009-08-11, 8:15 PM #12
They're probably even more instantly recognizable now than they were when they were still standing. It's never a big deal for me to see them in a movie or TV show, but I always notice and remember that they're not there anymore.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2009-08-11, 8:32 PM #13
Originally posted by zanardi:
I agree. I don't think they are trying to pretend it didn't happen. But everyone is afraid of offending someone.

ha, the ironic part is they're offending people by their actions. If they just left it alone no one would be offended.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2009-08-11, 11:48 PM #14

When the towers fall, every single time, I cry. Something feels so real about this video that puts me there where I couldn't empathize before.

I really regret having watched that now, i honestly feel sick to my stomach, like it's twisted in knots. No im not over-exaggerating, that was horrifying and disturbing and extremely sad. Of course we all saw the towers get hit by the planes, and we've all heard stories from people who were there or who died, but listening to someone go through it as it all unfolded, that was just awful. I felt a connection with him, i felt his pain, and i knew what he was going through, how awful that must have been, so many people went through the exact same situation as him. It's just awful, and now i have to go to bed with this horrible image in my head. :(
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2009-08-11, 11:52 PM #15
That video did absolutely nothing for me. It's sad that the government killed a couple thousand of its own citizens, but I just can't feel bad after having watched that.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2009-08-12, 2:16 AM #16

[speechless]

Thanks, Kirb.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2009-08-12, 2:36 AM #17
Originally posted by Freelancer:
That video did absolutely nothing for me. It's sad that the government killed a couple thousand of its own citizens, but I just can't feel bad after having watched that.

...You're trolling, right?
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-08-12, 2:45 AM #18
The idea that they weren't there anymore did cross my mind when I watched Escape from NY the other night, and I imagine I've had the same thought watching previous movies, but it's never made me feel especially sad.
2009-08-12, 4:10 AM #19
I get irritated that I know I will never be able to see them in person but I push those feelings away as they are so selfishly greedy compared to the actual pain and loss that so many thousands of other people have. But, seeing the Towers in films and TV shows always stirs some thought or emotion that otherwise wouldn't be there.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2009-08-12, 4:30 AM #20
Originally posted by Dark__Knight:
I really regret having watched that now, i honestly feel sick to my stomach, like it's twisted in knots. No im not over-exaggerating, that was horrifying and disturbing and extremely sad. Of course we all saw the towers get hit by the planes, and we've all heard stories from people who were there or who died, but listening to someone go through it as it all unfolded, that was just awful. I felt a connection with him, i felt his pain, and i knew what he was going through, how awful that must have been, so many people went through the exact same situation as him. It's just awful, and now i have to go to bed with this horrible image in my head. :(

Thats pretty much how I felt after watching that last night.
2009-08-12, 4:49 AM #21

yep, freelancer got a free pass because mb's out for the week
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2009-08-12, 5:18 AM #22
Yeah, I notice them in stuff I never would have before.

For instance, the original TMNT cartoon. Now I'll see them all the time in background shots, city shots. Even one of the episodes I swear they went to the top of one of them.
2009-08-12, 8:40 AM #23

you are now on par with the birthers sir. :colbert:
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2009-08-12, 8:47 AM #24
Originally posted by genk:
yep, freelancer got a free pass because mb's out for the week

no way. dalf'll get him. (maybe?)

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2009-08-12, 9:02 AM #25
Quote:

Whether you think the government did something or not, not feeling bad for the people that DIED in the incident is pretty much idiotic and heartless.

I'm going to take your logic. LOL@you when a loved one passes away.

Nice flamebait though.
2009-08-12, 9:04 AM #26
Originally posted by Emon:
...You're trolling, right?

Are you?
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2009-08-12, 9:08 AM #27
Are you?

No, but now I can clearly see why people generally don't like you at all. I never really paid much attention to it, but you showed your true colors in this thread. Thanks for enlightening me.
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2009-08-12, 9:11 AM #28
[http://cache.gawker.com/assets/resources/2007/10/freelancer.jpg]
2009-08-12, 9:26 AM #29
I'm not ****ing trolling.
2009-08-12, 9:29 AM #30
So you're truly just impassive and cold hearted and paranoid?
2009-08-12, 9:32 AM #31
The incident itself still gives me uncomfortable creeps - partly because of its nature, partly because I saw the thing live on TV and partly because seeing the actual pit live in 2006 (tho' 5 years after 9/11) was also bizarre.

And even then, if I see a post-1973 pre-2001 film/etc. featuring the Twin Towers I don't really feel weird, they existed at the time so it makes sense to see them in the NYC skyline.

I do get some creeps from the fact that Deus Ex's NYC skybox doesn't have the Twin Towers due to some texture issues or whatever. So when someone at ION Storm Austin (Warren Spector or Harvey Smith) was asked about the issue he was like "they were probably destroyed in a terrorist attack". Bong!
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2009-08-12, 10:04 AM #32
Freelancer should enjoy this
http://dir.salon.com/story/mwt/feature/2002/09/11/forbidden_letters/index.html

It's certainly interesting.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2009-08-12, 10:10 AM #33
I dont know if it was that video or not, but there was a call released not long after it happened, where the guy is talking to someone, 911 probably, and you can hear the building crumble and him screaming for about 4 seconds before it cuts off....

That right there is real life folks. A death of falling, being crushed, and burned, all at the same time.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-08-12, 10:12 AM #34
ahhaaha thanks mort that is awesome.

I love the one about the car stickers and also the bottom one on the first page.
2009-08-12, 8:01 PM #35
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
no way. dalf'll get him. (maybe?)

Oh I got him all right.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2009-08-12, 8:15 PM #36
ahhaaha thanks mort that is awesome.

I love the one about the car stickers and also the bottom one on the first page.

As someone who claims to be a freethinker, you're pretty ****ing retarded if you think 9/11 was a government conspiracy. It's been debunked about as many times as the moon landing hoax theory.
2009-08-12, 8:23 PM #37
this one makes me sad:
Quote:
I watched from my window, not on television, as the twin towers fell. As shocked as I was, I felt that this was not my problem as a black person. The people who worked at the World Trade Center were mostly white men, and so they had nothing to do with me as a black woman.

When there was an outpouring of grief and donations from every corner of the United States, I said to myself, If those planes had flown into a housing project and the victims were poor blacks and Latinos, people in Missouri wouldn't give a damn. When I heard that there had been over $1 billion in private donations, I asked myself where was this money before? Why hadn't it been donated to help the homeless, children who do not have access to an education, people who do not have access to healthcare? Here we have people rushing to write checks to people whose families will be taken care of by insurance or their employers.

To me, 9/11 was just another example of the American paradigm of deservedness and white entitlement. We are not all Americans; the white investment banker, the white fireman, the white police officer, the white EMT, they are Americans.

Especially serving in the Navy, I serve along blacks, asians, hispanics, etc. etc. and none of our differences matter at all. We're every one of us American.

2009-08-12, 8:31 PM #38
It's exactly that kind of attitude that makes them "not Americans."
2009-08-12, 9:33 PM #39
Yeah, I really loved that Caucasian scholarship I received back in college, too bad those african americans couldn't get one of those.

Oh wait, it's the other way around.

I have half a mind to call them all racist anymore.
2009-08-12, 9:35 PM #40
Haha, blinded by white privilege much?

↑ Up to the top!