Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → District 9
District 9
2009-08-12, 4:24 PM #1
Anybody else going to see this? I'll most likely see it this weekend. There are rumors going around that there are some tongue-in-cheek references to the canceled Halo movie. We shall wait and see.
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2009-08-12, 5:29 PM #2
Going to see it with my lady-friend. I was hoping to get her to watch Alien with me, but I think one "scary" movie might be her limit.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2009-08-12, 6:33 PM #3
God I hope it's good, so much potential.
2009-08-12, 7:11 PM #4
i might see it
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2009-08-12, 8:11 PM #5
Tons of good reviews, I'm ecstatic about it. Really cool concept.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2009-08-12, 11:18 PM #6
I'm hoping to see it tomorrow.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2009-08-13, 10:30 AM #7
i definitely want to see this! hopefully i will get a chance while its still in theaters.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2009-08-13, 10:31 AM #8
I'll be seeing it saturday for sure.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-08-13, 11:12 AM #9
I'm really excited to see it, not sure exactly when though.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2009-08-13, 11:04 PM #10
Saw a screening of it tonight.

I thought it was excellent. While I don't think it deserves "omg amazing" status, it was excellent, and probably the "best" movie I've seen in a very long time this year, although this year hasn't been stellar for flicks. I thought the environment they created was stellar, the alien weapon designs fantastic, and the lead did an amazing job in my opinion.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2009-08-14, 1:47 AM #11
Originally posted by mscbuck:
Saw a screening of it tonight.

I thought it was excellent. While I don't think it deserves "omg amazing" status, it was excellent, and probably the "best" movie I've seen in a very long time this year, although this year hasn't been stellar for flicks. I thought the environment they created was stellar, the alien weapon designs fantastic, and the lead did an amazing job in my opinion.

All this.

The thing I liked most is that it didn't FEEL like a movie. It didn't feel formulaic, it didn't feel like there was a beginning, middle, and end. There was no real main antagonist.

I really enjoyed it.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2009-08-14, 7:37 AM #12
I finally saw Moon last weekend and was quite pleased by it. Hoping to see District 9 tonight.

Is 2009 the year of awesome low-budget sci-fi movies?
Stuff
2009-08-14, 8:52 AM #13
/me slurps kyle90's low budget sci-fi movie
2009-08-14, 12:15 PM #14
Moon was ok. I'm hoping District 9 will be better.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2009-08-14, 12:16 PM #15
I'm aiming to see D9 tonight.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2009-08-14, 5:54 PM #16
I saw it earlier today and deeply enjoyed it. Perhaps I can even boldly claim that this is the best film released this summer yet. The movie actually wasn't what I thought it would be. I actually thought a full blown war would erupt at some point in the movie where the aliens would come home to retrieve their own from District 9.

The social commentary is rather obvious and you can't help, but feel bad for aliens like Christopher and his son. I also like the amount of suspense and tension in the film, something that a lot of films lacked this summer. The documentary style of shooting for the first third of the movie is done well too.

The special effects were actually quite convincing. Did you realize the budget for this movie was only $30 million? That's quite something considering you have movies like G.I. Joe and Wolverine, which had lackluster CGI despite having like a $200 million budget. Oh and I love the alien weaponry in the film. They do kind of make me think of the Rachet and Clank weapons though. Oh and I think aliens come equipped with Bloody Mess as a perk, nearly anyone who is killed by them explodes.
2009-08-14, 6:57 PM #17
Just saw it with my dad. I think it would have benefited from a tighter story structure and perhaps a bit more editing of the opening documentary segments, but those are really only minor concerns. The movie is just about everything I hoped it would be. It's original and inventive, and it manages to be action-packed without being dumb.

Just wondering, for those who've seen it; how many of you had seen Alive in Joberg before seeing this?
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2009-08-14, 7:26 PM #18
Thought it was very good. The part with the alien mech was :O
Stuff
2009-08-14, 8:51 PM #19
I thought the film was very realistic considering the subject matter. I can actually see people reacting like they did in the movie. Hell, the movie would be great to show to a sociology class. It probably ranks in my top films of '09 so far. Really superbly done.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2009-08-15, 7:17 AM #20
I want District 10 now.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2009-08-15, 7:32 AM #21
I'm off Tuesday night..I might go then.
woot!
2009-08-16, 10:35 AM #22
I saw it last night and it was awesome.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2009-08-16, 11:14 AM #23
It was good. I couldn't call it great. My wife, who doesn't typically enjoy science fiction movies, enjoyed it as well. I do think that it was rather unique.
? :)
2009-08-16, 1:00 PM #24
Originally posted by Wolfy:
I want District 10 now.

Would you be interested in a "spinoff" copy of District 69?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-08-16, 1:22 PM #25
Originally posted by Cloud:
I saw it earlier today and deeply enjoyed it. Perhaps I can even boldly claim that this is the best film released this summer yet. The movie actually wasn't what I thought it would be. I actually thought a full blown war would erupt at some point in the movie where the aliens would come home to retrieve their own from District 9.

The social commentary is rather obvious and you can't help, but feel bad for aliens like Christopher and his son. I also like the amount of suspense and tension in the film, something that a lot of films lacked this summer. The documentary style of shooting for the first third of the movie is done well too.

The special effects were actually quite convincing. Did you realize the budget for this movie was only $30 million? That's quite something considering you have movies like G.I. Joe and Wolverine, which had lackluster CGI despite having like a $200 million budget. Oh and I love the alien weaponry in the film. They do kind of make me think of the Rachet and Clank weapons though. Oh and I think aliens come equipped with Bloody Mess as a perk, nearly anyone who is killed by them explodes.

best perk
2009-08-16, 2:45 PM #26
did they find earth yet?
2009-08-16, 3:07 PM #27
At times I felt like I was watching Half-Life: the movie.

Various factions attacking a man on the run who discovers alien weaponry and fights for survival...oh and giant walking mechs. Plus the weapons were totally something you could see in Half-Life. Remember that one gun that charged up and blew things up in the first H-L?

Also the mech throwing the pig through the shed like a gravity gun?
2009-08-16, 5:03 PM #28
Same here, Veger. I wouldn't mind seeing Neill Blomkamp direct a Half Life movie since he's not going to ever make a Halo one now.
2009-08-17, 3:53 AM #29
I liked the story, but I cant help feel a little depressed over the fact there are no examples of humanity acting in a decent/fair/moral way.

Sadly, It's probably an honest and accurate portrayal of humanity.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2009-08-17, 4:28 AM #30
That was quite the thrilling ride. Albeit I'll risk saying that Sharlto Copley (Wikus) is not a very good leading man. Whether that is caused by the character itself, or the actor, I cannot quite tell. It might also be due to the voice acting since I watched it in french (Gotta hate living in Quebec sometimes)

Overall though, this was excellent and original flick. I did enjoy Wikus' internal struggle and the various times where he abandoned Christopher.

The special effects were excellent. As bizarre as the extraterrestrial beings behaved and looked, they did not feel out of place. I did not feel like I was watching CGI (except for Christopher's eyes who reminded me all too much of Bumblebee from Transformers :P)

Also, my girlfriend nearly puked her popcorn when he just tugs the nail of his thumb with his teeth.
2009-08-17, 8:09 AM #31
His transformation into an alien very much reminded me of The Fly with Jeff Goldblum.
2009-08-17, 12:00 PM #32
I thought it was awesome. I love this kind of stuff (loaded, well-executed storytelling with subtle(?) social (or otherwise) commentary and other symbolism/implications regarding what he did and his mentality at each stage of his transformation).

Also reminded me of Kafka's Metamorphoses.
一个大西瓜
2009-08-17, 4:27 PM #33
Originally posted by EAH_TRISCUIT:
I liked the story, but I cant help feel a little depressed over the fact there are no examples of humanity acting in a decent/fair/moral way.

Sadly, It's probably an honest and accurate portrayal of humanity.

There were people who defended the aliens....although the signs can't do much against guns. Oh and do remember that Wikus did give up his life to help Christopher and his life escape at the end.
2009-08-17, 4:46 PM #34
no david belle in this movie

2009-08-17, 5:06 PM #35
They left it open. They didn't explain what happened to Wikus. he might be on the ship getting the operation.
2009-08-17, 5:46 PM #36
Originally posted by Cloud:
There were people who defended the aliens....although the signs can't do much against guns. Oh and do remember that Wikus did give up his life to help Christopher and his life escape at the end.

I don't count the heroics at the end... He was becoming less 'human' by the hour. Any chance of reverting to human, and seeing his family again is tied to Christopher's success.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2009-08-17, 6:26 PM #37
I think one of the ironies was that he was becoming more "human" as he became less human haha
一个大西瓜
2009-08-17, 6:46 PM #38
So I just saw it and it was pretty amazing, but one thing... where were all the supposed Halo movie references?
DO NOT WANT.
2009-08-17, 6:47 PM #39
Originally posted by Veger:
They left it open. They didn't explain what happened to Wikus. he might be on the ship getting the operation.

I'm fairly certain that the mention of finding the metal flower on her doorstep and the image of a prawn making a metal flower actually made it pretty clear.
2009-08-17, 6:47 PM #40
Originally posted by Veger:

I thought they non too subtly showed he'd turned into an alien and lived in District 9 with that metal flower Wikus' wife got, and the following shot of an more docile looking Prawn making it.

↑ Up to the top!