Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → District 9
District 9
2009-08-18, 1:46 AM #41
Ah yes, that would make sense. I didn't pick up on that, thanks wolfy and jep.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2009-08-18, 1:24 PM #42
Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane:

Just wondering, for those who've seen it; how many of you had seen Alive in Joberg before seeing this?

I have. Definitely saw a lot of elements from the short film translated over to District 9.

Originally posted by Zell:
where were all the supposed Halo movie references?

I didn't see any either.

The only thing that rang a bell to Halo was when the soldier was trying to take out the mech with the sniper rifle, it looked just like the one from Halo.
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2009-08-18, 1:41 PM #43
Yeah, I think both are modeled after that famous Barrett rifle... M-82, or whatevs?
2009-08-18, 9:38 PM #44
I saw it.

I just got back.

It was epic.
woot!
2009-08-18, 11:31 PM #45
PIG SHOT

2009-08-18, 11:31 PM #46
Originally posted by Tank:
PIG SHOT

:awesome:
woot!
2009-08-19, 12:32 AM #47
must find animated GIF

2009-08-19, 9:05 AM #48
I want to see this so bad. The most amazing thing to me is the fact that this film was done with a 30 million dollar budget. And the Special Effects look better than Transformers 2.
2009-08-19, 9:07 AM #49
"There's a lot of secrets in my pants "
2009-08-19, 9:12 AM #50
None of which are worth very much.
2009-08-19, 9:13 AM #51
Originally posted by Temperamental:
I want to see this so bad. The most amazing thing to me is the fact that this film was done with a 30 million dollar budget. And the Special Effects look better than Transformers 2.

Using unknown actors most likely helped lower the cost, for one. But indeed, the special effects are very, very good. The mothership lingering over the Johannesburg looked very realistic. It did not feel out of place despite it being an unusual lingering mass over the cityscape.

The prawns themselves looked very organic (excluding some of the prawns more important to the story, who's eyes screamed CGI). The shot in the first few minutes of the movie when you see soldiers breaking into the ship and prawns cowering from the light looks so real. Its one of the few movies in history, along with Jurassic Park, to manage CGI so well.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2009-08-19, 10:02 AM #52
Yeah using no-name actors definitely helped out a LOT. It's just another fantastic example that you don't need even a single huge A-List star to make your movie any good or to get a great performance. The sad thing is that after this movie, all the main cast will probably become "well-known's" :(

Everything I've heard about this movie from friends, internets, etc say nothing but good things. I want to see it badly.
2009-08-19, 10:21 AM #53
Originally posted by saberopus:
"There's a lot of secrets in my pants "

Sure, but are your pants populated by 1.8 million aliens?
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2009-08-19, 10:44 AM #54
Originally posted by Temperamental:
Yeah using no-name actors definitely helped out a LOT. It's just another fantastic example that you don't need even a single huge A-List star to make your movie any good or to get a great performance. The sad thing is that after this movie, all the main cast will probably become "well-known's" :(

Everything I've heard about this movie from friends, internets, etc say nothing but good things. I want to see it badly.

Well to be honest, we really only saw Wikus' acting talents. Like I said in my first post here, he annoyed me, but that was most likely the french voice over. They gave him a horribly whiny voice.

The rest of the human actors were acceptable at best. They did a fine job in their roles, but their short screen time and said roles offered little opportunity to shine. The only real notable characters are the psychopatic marine general trying to capture/kill Wikus (who's name eludes me right now) and Christopher and his son, who were CGI-based.

Shaptu Copley may see himself offered a few roles though!
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2009-08-19, 11:02 AM #55
Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane:
Sure, but are your pants populated by 1.8 million aliens?

[http://www.visualdxhealth.com/images/dx/webTeen/pediculosisPubisPubicLice_32417_lg.jpg]

2009-08-19, 11:14 AM #56
Quote:
Well to be honest, we really only saw Wikus' acting talents. Like I said in my first post here, he annoyed me, but that was most likely the french voice over. They gave him a horribly whiny voice.

The rest of the human actors were acceptable at best. They did a fine job in their roles, but their short screen time and said roles offered little opportunity to shine. The only real notable characters are the psychopatic marine general trying to capture/kill Wikus (who's name eludes me right now) and Christopher and his son, who were CGI-based.

Shaptu Copley may see himself offered a few roles though!

Ah so it's not really anything like some of the performances from Cloverfield.
2009-08-19, 11:29 AM #57
Great movie. Didn't like the main guy, but it was still a great sci-fi movie.
2009-08-21, 4:10 PM #58
Yea, in an interview the director claimed that a lot of his inspiration on the weapons came from FPS games, specifically half life.
||||||||||||||||||||

↑ Up to the top!