Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Stupid Valve (Alt Title: Awesome TF2 update for non-scrubs)
Stupid Valve (Alt Title: Awesome TF2 update for non-scrubs)
2009-08-13, 5:24 PM #1
Anyone see the TF2 update? This sucks, I love the new content, but WTF do they have to change gameplay items once people have gotten into the groove? Pistols, ruined. Scout is practically useless as a defensive player now, spies are now better hidden. I mean what was the point of all that???
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-08-13, 5:29 PM #2
i never saw the scout of much use as defense anyways, its an offense character
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2009-08-13, 5:35 PM #3
And a ****ing annoying one at that.
nope.
2009-08-13, 5:35 PM #4
Have you actually played the game or are you just basing this off of what you read...
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-08-13, 5:55 PM #5
Oh, and if you are saying that Scout can't play defense anymore because the sandman lost its ability to stun UBERs, then GOOD. It was frustrating to take the time to build up an uber only to have it go to waste because of that stupid baseball.
2009-08-13, 7:54 PM #6
No, Valve is awesome
-Added a color blind option to add a Jarate icon above enemies who are busy accepting a terrifying existence where they have no dignity
2009-08-13, 7:58 PM #7
Well not related to your TF2 update opinion, but Valve just announced there will be some more DLC for L4D- atleast 2 more maps to bridge the story between L4D and L4D2.

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1036/valve-crash-course-links-to-l4d2

So that news atleast makes me a little happy.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2009-08-13, 8:10 PM #8
Originally posted by genk:
i never saw the scout of much use as defense anyways, its an offense character

Playing defense with scout is fun, force of nature to blast people off ledges, a well placed bonk for snipers to pick someone off. Not their intended function, but a fun one.
2009-08-14, 2:36 AM #9
I think the changes to sapping teleporters was the worst decision. One of the best things you could do as a defensive spy was to sneak into the rear and take out the enemy tele entrances. At the very least it might peel an engie out of his hole but now he can counter it in relative safety by his sentry by wrenching the exit. :(
2009-08-14, 5:37 AM #10
Originally posted by Recusant:
I think the changes to sapping teleporters was the worst decision. One of the best things you could do as a defensive spy was to sneak into the rear and take out the enemy tele entrances. At the very least it might peel an engie out of his hole but now he can counter it in relative safety by his sentry by wrenching the exit. :(

Yeah, and at the same time, its cheap because if the sapper succeeds, thats TWO things you have to build. Much more time consuming if there's incoming troops attacking you.
2009-08-14, 7:53 AM #11
[http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb98/bigmadtony/hatsbig.jpg]

CAMERABEARD
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2009-08-14, 7:53 AM #12
If (as is frequently the case) the engineer has the exit next to his dispenser and sentry then I don't really see how he'll be inconvenienced much more than he was before. All he'll do extra now is drop an exit before running back.

By comparison the spy used to have to sneak past the front line and into the rear and succesfully sap an entrance that's normally right next to the spawn point doors where enemies come through often and without warning. Now he has to stick about and try to sap it repeatedly while in the hornets' nest. It just seems like Valve are pushing for full-frontal attacks at the expense of more creative ones.
2009-08-14, 8:02 AM #13
I played last night, and it's true: Pistols == useless.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-08-14, 8:51 AM #14
how can valve keep ****ing up something so perfect
2009-08-14, 8:58 AM #15
Wah wah wah, roll with it for a little while and really soak it up, THEN complain. :P
2009-08-14, 9:11 AM #16
Jayne's hat for heavy! F ya! :awesome:
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2009-08-14, 9:19 AM #17
Originally posted by Couchman:
how can valve keep ****ing up something so perfect

Why are Valve fans the whiniest game community ever?
2009-08-14, 9:32 AM #18
You forgot xbox fans.
nope.
2009-08-14, 9:43 AM #19
I don't know about the pistol change, but everything else in that list is something that needed to happen.

A. The sapper change is HUGE, and I am on my knees kissing Valve's feet for changing that. Putting teleporters down when the other team has a decent spy would otherwise result in a waste of time. I actually just stopped bothering, because it was completely worthless to me. You can't run back in time to repair it, you can't rebuild it fast enough to return to your front line equipment, and by the time it's level 3 again, the spy is already back at spawn. Stop complaining about the best change in the update!
B. The scout changes were practically demanded over the past couple months. Stunning ubers was quite possibly the most infuriating thing, as oftentimes the scout could do it from the other side of the map, in complete safety, completely unstoppable. The Force of Nature also had it's knockback nerfed significantly, for good reason. It was broken in its ability to knock back. The boosts to the sandman were also highly welcome. The scout should be much more useful on the front lines now.
C. The spy buffs are also welcome, adding to his ability to remain hidden, as he'll need it.
2009-08-14, 9:59 AM #20
Also, while I haven't tried playing scout much yet (My pistol was my Engies only defense) but I'm worried the FaN nerfing will make it a class I no longer play again. The only reason I started getting good with the scout is because I could ping-pong enemies around and control a group of people, but if they knew how to shoot I was still toast. I'm thinking this will just make me toast.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-08-14, 10:11 AM #21
Scouts were perfectly fine even before the FaN, so l2p. >.>

If your weapon of choice on Engi was the pistol, you're doing it wrong. The shotgun is terrifyingly good. It'll take a scout down in 2-3 well aimed shots, as well as any other weak class. The accuracy is surprisingly high, the reload time isn't terrible, and it has plenty of ammo.

Also, the Engi has the wrench, which is arguably one of the best melee weapons in the game :p
2009-08-14, 10:19 AM #22
Spy... buffS? I know the C&D was buffed but the Dead Ringer was severely nerfed.

2009-08-14, 10:41 AM #23
Originally posted by The Mega-ZZTer:
Spy... buffS? I know the C&D was buffed but the Dead Ringer was severely nerfed.

Not on this update.
2009-08-14, 10:46 AM #24
It was, but it's a bug:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938047
Quote:

• DR cloak time reduced to about 3-4 seconds, recharge to about 10-11 seconds. The 90% damage reduction still applies for the 6.25 seconds, as before, though now you need an ammo extension to get all of it.
[*]C&D recharge rate reduced to about 11-12 seconds.
[/B]
[/LIST]
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10899590&postcount=5
[quote=Valve team member]There is a bug that made the cloak regen modifier an additive percentage instead of a percentage. So 1.8 is getting turned into 2.8. I'm also looking into the revolver autoreload bug.[/quote]
一个大西瓜
2009-08-14, 11:35 AM #25
Quote:
Disguised Spies no longer trigger On-Hit effects (like the Blutsauger's heal).

Gay.
:master::master::master:
2009-08-14, 12:00 PM #26
Having just played for a few hours, I can say that the pistol change hasn't really changed anything for me. The rate I press the mouse button is nearly identical to the rate Valve chose.

Other things? Can't really say anything about, since I am the worst spy ever.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2009-08-14, 12:44 PM #27
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
I don't know about the pistol change, but everything else in that list is something that needed to happen.

I'm guessing they did this because most of the TF2 veterans just used scripts to accomplish the same thing, so the devs just let everyone enjoy it.
2009-08-14, 1:01 PM #28
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Scouts were perfectly fine even before the FaN, so l2p. >.>

If your weapon of choice on Engi was the pistol, you're doing it wrong. The shotgun is terrifyingly good. It'll take a scout down in 2-3 well aimed shots, as well as any other weak class. The accuracy is surprisingly high, the reload time isn't terrible, and it has plenty of ammo.

Also, the Engi has the wrench, which is arguably one of the best melee weapons in the game :p

Except shotguns are useless at range outside of your sentry, which then calls the need for a pistol, which if you click fast enough, can be good enough to take down an annoying scout or spy trying to blast your sentry.
2009-08-14, 1:28 PM #29
The pistol is useless outside of your sentry range too, unless you consider "annoying" to be a valid tactic. It's not exactly pinpoint accurate and it's pretty hard to hit anything with from that far. Plus damage falloff.

If it's outside your sentry range and your teammates are somehow failing to take care of it, you need to get closer.
2009-08-14, 4:42 PM #30
On the 24/7 2fort server I regular, I am well known for pistol sniping on the battlements. There are snipers who specifically aim for engineers because I'd kill them with the relative accuracy of running and gunning vs their slow reload. Since I could pop off all the shots almost at once (without scripts, thank you) at least 3 would get a headshot. 2 clips and you've killed a few classes. Add a dispenser, and your "range" is not a problem. The shotgun, despite it's disturbing range of accuracy, is nowhere near comparable to the pistol's utility.

I feel like this pistol fix should be weighted with more damage, or a faster reload.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-08-14, 4:50 PM #31
I like to get on the internet and brag about how good I am at video games.
2009-08-14, 4:54 PM #32
I am good at some maps and classes, but I never have a positive KDR in TF2 unless I play it really safe. I am a good team player, and am successful at winning, not at killing and fighting. I still know how to use a pistol to defend my buildings and annoy the snipers.

The only game I am clearly good at is Insurgency mod. I have 3.0 KDR on INS and 1.5/2.0 on US. Something about the running, iron sites, and one hit kills brings me back to DoD.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-08-14, 5:10 PM #33
Seeing someone use the term "scrub" makes me want to punch babies.
2009-08-14, 6:22 PM #34
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
Why are Valve fans the whiniest game community ever?

i didnt start complaining until they added random weapon drops, that defeated the purpose of doing good and ACHIEVING things, look how fast they fixed it, its obvious they know they made a huge mistake
2009-08-14, 7:34 PM #35
Originally posted by JediKirby:
On the 24/7 2fort server I regular, I am well known for pistol sniping on the battlements. There are snipers who specifically aim for engineers because I'd kill them with the relative accuracy of running and gunning vs their slow reload. Since I could pop off all the shots almost at once (without scripts, thank you) at least 3 would get a headshot. 2 clips and you've killed a few classes. Add a dispenser, and your "range" is not a problem. The shotgun, despite it's disturbing range of accuracy, is nowhere near comparable to the pistol's utility.

I feel like this pistol fix should be weighted with more damage, or a faster reload.

Nice BS there. Engi pistol cannot headshot and is a crapshoot at that range. And any sniper who doesn't shoot you after emptying a whole clip at them is crap. A single fully charged shot will kill you period.
2009-08-14, 7:38 PM #36
Pistols suck. Also, most of you are newbs, so your opinions are void. I have yet to play with any Massassian that shines on the battlefield. I end up topping the charts, they end up quitting in shame. I'm not going to name any names though.
2009-08-14, 7:56 PM #37
Why is it BS? I don't mean one hit kill headshots, I just mean pinging them in the head.

If I could go back to a week ago and take a video, I would show you exactly what I once did on the battlements. Alas, the pistol fires a set rate now, so aiming and running is a lot slower and much less likely I'll land all the shots.

Why is it so hard to understand? Being able to fire 6 bullets instead of one in the same amount of time is better for quick kills on slow targets? And dodging snipers is not nearly as hard as you seem to make it. Hell, I could just go make a video of dodging snipers and aiming like I would've with the old gun without getting any successive hits. Do I really have to go that far to prove what is an obvious point, considering this is why they have nerfed it?

They nerfed it since the fire rate was almost auto-fire for scripters, and not much slower for anyone else. I don't like this because it makes shooting distanced targets useless where it was at least somewhat effective before.

Or I'm just lying to *****. What are you proving by disagreeing with my opinion?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-08-14, 11:39 PM #38
Oh, Kirby, your superiority complex is showing again, you may want to take care of that.
2009-08-14, 11:40 PM #39
Originally posted by IRG SithLord:
Seeing someone use the term "scrub" makes me want to punch babies.

u mad, scrub? [http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b329/Cmd598/emote/emot-smug.gif]
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2009-08-14, 11:49 PM #40
Originally posted by Steven:
Oh, Kirby, your superiority complex is showing again, you may want to take care of that.

Or I think an update to a game made the pistols that I was once capable of using now useless.

Why is everything a personal fight on this forum? Are you all mother-in-laws? I mean, clearly you have no interest in TF2. You're in the wrong thread.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ

↑ Up to the top!