Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → For those that don't check the frontpage, a new era of JK is born.
For those that don't check the frontpage, a new era of JK is born.
2009-08-17, 3:06 AM #41
Originally posted by Couchman:
wow i ****ing suck, i cant figure out a port forwarding guide, im so lost

Got Vista or Win7, Pm me and I might be able to help.
2009-08-17, 9:24 AM #42
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
Got Vista or Win7, Pm me and I might be able to help.

nah ive got xp, on their internet guide i cant find any of my hardware listed there, maybe its actually a different name, is there a way to check my router/modem type on my computer and not physically IRL?
2009-08-17, 10:02 AM #43
I ran JK successfully under VMware Workstation using Direct3D acceleration. Unfortunately this did not solve the HOM issue with my Radeon 4850. Makes sense that it wouldn't, since the virtualized calls are translated into the same real Direct3D calls on the host machine.

Anyone know how Direct3D acceleration works for VMware under Linux and OS X? Presumably it translates calls to whatever the host is using, including OpenGL. So it might be a good way to run JK on Linux or OS X, if you don't like Wine.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-08-17, 12:41 PM #44
If JKLauncher opens (even just shows the tray icon), then the .NET Framework is installed. By the way, the page with the latest JKLauncher also has a link to the .NET Framework.

Admiral Zarn's description (in JKLauncher's forum) of JKLauncher crashing is probably a bug somewhere in the startup coding I have yet to find.

Zell's description indicates a different problem. It would be nice to have more detailed description of that one.

If an unhandled exception window comes up, click the button for more details, and copy-paste (either here, but preferably in JKLauncher's forum under the proper release's topic) the first 5 lines after this line:
************** Exception Text **************

Thanks.

:)
2009-08-17, 1:45 PM #45
Originally posted by ZeqMacaw:
Admiral Zarn's description (in JKLauncher's forum) of JKLauncher crashing is probably a bug somewhere in the startup coding I have yet to find.

If it helps any (especially those that might encounter also), I ran as administrator... it works. :)

[EDIT: ok, getting occasional error... gonna paste the details in the launcher thread :)]
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2009-08-17, 5:00 PM #46
Talk about ouch!

[http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2/petmc20/jklaunchermatch6.png?t=1250553557]
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2009-08-17, 7:09 PM #47
Thanks to Triscuit and Admiral_Zarn, I have found and corrected the problem where JKLauncher would not open JK when hosting or joining a game on Vista 64 (and presumably, XP 64, as well). A new release of JKLauncher that fixes this bug and many others will be uploaded this weekend.

Thanks to all of you for trying out JKLauncher.

2009-08-18, 8:16 AM #48
holy crap, jk. talk about a face only a mother could love.

and massassians
You have no idea of how long it took me to do this.
2009-08-18, 9:46 AM #49
JK still doesnt work on Vista for me. I've tried everything all the tutorials say and bleh, nothing. I still can't enable 3d acceleration, or else I get some crazy screen tearing (if that's even the right way to describe what I am seeing), and the game looks so UGLY without it on.
2009-08-18, 9:51 AM #50
Not to mention there's no 16-bit texture support on software rendering.
2009-08-18, 10:35 AM #51
I want to eventually have a PC with a Nvidia GeForce 9800. Would I be able to play JK, even if I have to install it without using the installer?
2009-08-18, 11:06 AM #52
Originally posted by Temperamental:
JK still doesnt work on Vista for me. I've tried everything all the tutorials say and bleh, nothing. I still can't enable 3d acceleration, or else I get some crazy screen tearing (if that's even the right way to describe what I am seeing), and the game looks so UGLY without it on.

For the 1000th time, that's a video card issue, not a Vista issue.
2009-08-18, 12:25 PM #53
If it's a video card issue how can my friend with the exact same system/gfx card (including the same drivers) play the game without any issues AND with 3d acceleration enabled? Or how I can run my gfx card on a Windows XP machine, and play JK just fine (I do not own an XP machine, it was a test run on a different friends computer). So far, for me, it appears to be an issue with Vista.

Also, please explain how it's a video card issue. Perhaps it would point me in the direction of a possible fix or workaround. ATI's forums are completely useless and Lucasarts' are even worse for tech support, at least on this subject.
2009-08-18, 12:33 PM #54
It is a video card DRIVER issue.

2009-08-18, 1:05 PM #55
Well then.. Do ANY ATI drivers work with this game?
2009-08-18, 1:08 PM #56
Man, I've been secluded from the Internet for too long, I didn't know ATI became better or more desireable than nVidia at some point.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2009-08-18, 1:15 PM #57
Originally posted by Temperamental:
If it's a video card issue how can my friend with the exact same system/gfx card (including the same drivers) play the game without any issues AND with 3d acceleration enabled? Or how I can run my gfx card on a Windows XP machine, and play JK just fine (I do not own an XP machine, it was a test run on a different friends computer). So far, for me, it appears to be an issue with Vista.

Also, please explain how it's a video card issue. Perhaps it would point me in the direction of a possible fix or workaround. ATI's forums are completely useless and Lucasarts' are even worse for tech support, at least on this subject.

It would have to be a videocard driver issue because many of us are playing JK 3D accelerated on Vista. Maybe ATI's XP driver is fine, and its only a problem specific to their Vista driver, but then its still a driver issue.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2009-08-18, 1:20 PM #58
Oh, sorry Temperamental, I just assumed you did one of those old XP machine -> new Vista machine transitions and assumed it was Vista.

I always assumed it was a hardware issue, it appears to be a Vista DRIVER issue. Could be due to the new display model. Has anyone tried it without desktop composition enabled?
2009-08-18, 3:50 PM #59
Bleh. One more reason for me to go back to Nvidia :(
2009-08-18, 5:35 PM #60
Heh, that's diehard... to plan your videocard upgrades around Jedi Knight!
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2009-08-18, 9:14 PM #61
That's why I have a Beta System, little ol' P4 plays it fiiine.
2009-08-19, 8:17 AM #62
I look forward to the next release of the updated JKLauncher.
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2009-08-19, 8:54 AM #63
I never got 3D acceleration working on my nVidia cards either.
2009-08-19, 8:57 AM #64
Quote:
Heh, that's diehard... to plan your videocard upgrades around Jedi Knight!

That's what I should have done long ago. ;)

Besides, you never know if they decide to release a JK 4 (or 5? Whichever number they're on now) you have to be prepared. They'd probably litter it with PhysX stuff.
2009-08-19, 7:17 PM #65
You mean Force Unleashed?
2009-08-19, 7:31 PM #66
People care deeply about PhysX?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-08-19, 7:38 PM #67
It's a fairly decent software physics library.
2009-08-19, 8:32 PM #68
Got a new computer and JK doesn't work. It uses Windows Vista. When I load the game, all that I can see is my gun, crosshair, and HUD. Everything else is black and HOMs. I can hear everything just fine though. I put -windowgui in the target box, too.
DO NOT WANT.
2009-08-19, 8:46 PM #69
Originally posted by Zell:
Got a new computer and JK doesn't work. It uses Windows Vista. When I load the game, all that I can see is my gun, crosshair, and HUD. Everything else is black and HOMs. I can hear everything just fine though. I put -windowgui in the target box, too.

What videocard Zell?
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2009-08-19, 8:48 PM #70
Nvidia quadro FX 770M

I forgot to mention, JK worked the first time I ran it, and I haven't changed any settings since then. It just stopped working.
DO NOT WANT.
2009-08-19, 8:57 PM #71
So I take it you do alot of CAD?
2009-08-19, 9:21 PM #72
...what?
DO NOT WANT.
2009-08-19, 9:24 PM #73
You have a CAD workstation card, I figured you do graphics design.
Also that card is based on the Geforce 9600, so that explains the problems.
2009-08-19, 9:42 PM #74
Well I got this computer to pursue a major in architecture, so sort of, yeah. And damnit.
DO NOT WANT.
2009-08-19, 9:49 PM #75
Try older drivers, go back a month at a time.
Well, if you want to play that badly.
A winxp VMware machine might be able to do it.
2009-08-19, 9:55 PM #76
I don't want to play it that badly, I just need it so I can recreate the levels. I suppose I could get someone else to fraps it for me.
DO NOT WANT.
2009-08-19, 10:15 PM #77
I could, what do you want?
Infact, PM me.
2009-08-20, 5:18 AM #78
Originally posted by Zell:
Nvidia quadro FX 770M

I forgot to mention, JK worked the first time I ran it, and I haven't changed any settings since then. It just stopped working.

This is exactly what happened to me with my 8800 GT
2009-08-20, 6:05 AM #79
What I'm probably going to end up doing is just getting a PCI GeForce 6200 or something and set JK to run off that.
2009-08-21, 7:20 AM #80
For those people with ATI issues, my laptop runs with an HD 3200. The first time I tried to play JK with 3D acceleration, It flickered, went black, then bluescreened me. Then I installed the catalyst 9.8 drivers, disabled AAA, and had AA set to go by application settings. I also set JK.exe to run in Windows 95 compatibility mode. I don't know if all these things helped, but something did the trick, because it runs fine now.

...I'm on vista, btw.

↑ Up to the top!