Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Do you hate your job?
Do you hate your job?
2009-08-17, 7:35 PM #1
I do.

What do you do, and how is it slowly killing you? :suicide:
Warhead[97]
2009-08-17, 7:44 PM #2
I don't have a job.

It is killing me because I am broke and in debt.
2009-08-17, 7:54 PM #3
Didn't we just have one of these?

I'm an eBay Powerseller and I sit at home and work in my socks at my leisure as I go to school full time. :hist101:

And yes, it's awesome.
2009-08-17, 8:03 PM #4
I hate my lack of job.

2009-08-17, 8:08 PM #5
I have a good job at the moment, not great but good.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-08-17, 8:09 PM #6
I work in retail.

how the **** do you think i feel about it?
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2009-08-17, 8:17 PM #7
For the most part, I enjoy working at Lockheed Martin. Sometimes, I am forced to work on uninteresting contracts, but I suppose that is to be expected.
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2009-08-17, 8:22 PM #8
I like my job and am :D to have it
一个大西瓜
2009-08-17, 8:26 PM #9
Quote:
What do you do,

hurr. I'm on a boat.

Quote:
and how is it slowly killing you?

Uhh probably asbestos.

anyway, yes I like my job. Though I wish I got more sleep. And I'm looking forward to having a little more authority around here.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2009-08-17, 8:30 PM #10
dash said it right, we just had one of these.

Basically, I'm jobless now, but with the exception of working for family, I have loved every job I have. Working for family is a horrible, miserable experience. Pay is low, and work output is high.

But I only also have loved every other job, because all but one were in food service so I ate for free and also drank and drugged at work.
2009-08-17, 9:29 PM #11
i don't mind my job, it's the biweekly pay that sucks....especially when my hours got cut from 80 to like 70. it hurts.
Peace is a lie
There is only passion
Through passion I gain strength
Through strength I gain power
Through power I gain victory
Through victory my chains are broken
The Force shall set me free
2009-08-17, 9:37 PM #12
I dread going there, but when I am there my mind switches to autopilot and bang, im done.
2009-08-17, 9:40 PM #13
Here is the question:
Would you rather have a job you don't like and make a killing, or a job you love and live pay check to paycheck.

If you have the job you love and make a killing, you win.
2009-08-17, 10:35 PM #14
If the option was making a killing at a terrible job vs a job I love making very little, then I'd pick the job I love. But living paycheck to paycheck, at ANY income level, isn't the sort of stressful life I'd like to live.
2009-08-17, 10:43 PM #15
I enjoy the fact that, should I sign up for the Navy tomorrow, after a 12-week stint at OCS, I would be a higher ranking officer (O-1) than Sran (E-6)
2009-08-17, 11:03 PM #16
then who

e: Oh Sarn!
2009-08-17, 11:06 PM #17
I rather like my job. I was going to leave at the end of the summer, but they offered me a raise, an intern and the ability to telecommute, only needing to come into the office once every 2 weeks. Plus government benefits, government work ethic... it's pretty cushy for someone going to school as well.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2009-08-17, 11:17 PM #18
I hated my job...so I quit and now I'm unemployed! :D
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
2009-08-18, 12:22 AM #19
Originally posted by Vin:
I don't have a job.

It is killing me because I am broke and in debt.

This.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-08-18, 12:57 AM #20
My job could kill me, and it would suck if it did happen, but I love my job. It's freaking awesome.
Pissed Off?
2009-08-18, 1:51 AM #21
I forgot, What is it?
2009-08-18, 2:21 AM #22
Originally posted by Steven:
I enjoy the fact that, should I sign up for the Navy tomorrow, after a 12-week stint at OCS, I would be a higher ranking officer (O-1) than Sran (E-6)

actually, that would be E-4, not E-6.

And yes, Steven. Officers out rank enlisted. But we have a term for guys like that. We call them Butterbars. And we tread them respectfully, and call them Sir or Ma'am, but they don't really have as much authority as you seem to think. I have quite honestly, never been given an order by any officer, because they know better than to try and give them.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2009-08-18, 3:22 AM #23
I more tolerate my job than hate it. Wouldn't take much to tip into hate though. Just depends on the day.
"You want the truth?! You can't handle the truth!! No truth-handler you!! Bah!! I deride your truth-handling ability!!"
2009-08-18, 3:53 AM #24
I tolerate my job. Some days I'll be very happy and enjoy it, others I will be utterly miserable.

Lately its been more miserable than happy though.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2009-08-18, 5:02 AM #25
My job is ok, the people there are not so ok.

There's a lot of "we've been here for the past 7-10 years and we want to be here for the next 2000".

IT on accounting software in an investment firm.
2009-08-18, 5:06 AM #26
nope.
woot!
2009-08-18, 5:16 AM #27
Yes.

I despise it.
nope.
2009-08-18, 5:23 AM #28
Where is the poll? .(
woot!
2009-08-18, 5:33 AM #29
Eh, recently it's taking me longer and longer to recover from the long night shifts on my feet. Bad posture or something maybe, but any shift longer than 6 hours and the back of my legs and my hips start to seize up a bit and usually stay painful for a few days afterwards. Quite looking forward to the start of term when we're also open just as a quiet bar. Much less stressful.
2009-08-18, 7:43 AM #30
I got laid off in December and have been doing contract work since then. I had about one month during that time where I didn't have any work and collected unemployment checks. I recently (beginning of August) started a new "real" job. I have to commute to Seattle daily (take a ferry) and it takes 2 hours EACH WAY, so yeah, that sucks. About half the time I can use that time on the ferry to work on a contract, but the work there got finished last Friday so this week I'm just lazing around browsing the web.

The new job is pretty lame. I went from working on awesome high-level biotech stuff at my last "real" job to cool web security products at my last contract, to ... basically online affiliate network management software based in... PHP (barf). The people I work with are cool but the work itself is lame (they use Cake PHP framework which is something like a cross between roadkill and pig vomit). I'm not sure how long I'll be able to handle it -- my last real job and all the contracts I've done have been at least 3 days a week at home (sometimes more) which really cuts down on my commute time and allows me to spend a lot more time with my family. This new one does have all the free drinks/food we want, which is nice.

The web security company is talking about offering me a job so we'll see what that's like. But anyway, I'm really glad I have a job but I'm not thrilled at the commute.
2009-08-18, 8:31 AM #31
Love my job. Coworkers are really nice and the company shows that it cares for the employees. We get nice presents on all kinds of occasions, have sport events (next month we'll go waterskiing) and get free fruits and drinks.
Sorry for the lousy German
2009-08-18, 8:44 AM #32
No.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2009-08-18, 9:04 AM #33
Originally posted by Brian:
(they use Cake PHP framework which is something like a cross between roadkill and pig vomit).

Really? I've heard good things about it.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2009-08-18, 11:00 AM #34
Shift manager at Wendy's.... I ******* hate it with a passion.
2009-08-18, 11:34 AM #35
I work in a Help Desk. What do you think?
幻術
2009-08-18, 1:44 PM #36
I'm unemployed and I don't particularly like it. Job hunting is not going well. It's depressing to watch my standards for job slip further down each day. When you first start looking for work you apply for jobs that are interesting, exciting and could turn into careers (science based). Then after a few months, jobs in retail start to look more appealing. :(

I'm thinking of applying for the police, but I'm not sure I have the confidence to make a decent officer.
2009-08-18, 2:09 PM #37
I'm a senior computer repair technician. I hate to complain when there are so many people out of work, but I don't enjoy my job. Actually, the work isn't that bad, despite the fact that I'm not much interested in the subject, it's simply a matter of bad management. My wife is taking a new job in November/December & if the pay is a bit better than now, I'm going to try & go back to school. I have an A.A.S. in Information Technology (Computer Programming), which is practically worthless if you don't know the right people, so I'm hoping to go back & get a more respectable degree.

I also work the occasional odd job. For instance, I'm currently typing up a book for a local author so that he can submit it to his publisher. He often comes to dictate the parts of the book where his handwriting is too horrible to read. We originally attempted to set him up with voice recognition software, but his French accent is too strong, the book is in English & it's cheaper to pay me than to pay someone to translate it.
? :)
2009-08-18, 2:48 PM #38
I teach music lessons. It's a good job.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2009-08-18, 3:11 PM #39
Mechanical Engineer. Can't complain, it's fun most of the time.
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2009-08-18, 3:51 PM #40
Not everyone can enjoy their jobs. Until we have robot slaves.

But then they'll turn on us, so who knows?

↑ Up to the top!