Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Do you hate your job?
Do you hate your job?
2009-08-18, 3:58 PM #41
I hate my job, all of my rich friends. I hate everyone to the bitter end.

Walmart remodel crew. I want to stab myself in the eye with a spoon. And twist. Repeat.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2009-08-18, 4:50 PM #42
Game developer

Love it
A dream is beautiful because it remains a dream.
2009-08-18, 7:39 PM #43
Game tester for an outsourcing company. Technically, it's QA tester, so I've had to test non-game related software as well. For a long while, it was games for the cellphone, but these days it's been consoles (360 and Wii being my latest) and PC. We don't really test good games, but I enjoy it (when it's game testing). The downside is that I can't live on my own with the pay I have (most game testers elsewhere get paid 1.5 times the amount I do) and the work is inconsistent, it being an outsourcing company and all.

So Gettleburger is now my new best friend... :ninja:
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2009-08-18, 8:04 PM #44
Originally posted by Roger Spruce:
I hate my job, all of my rich friends. I hate everyone to the bitter end.

Walmart remodel crew. I want to stab myself in the eye with a spoon. And twist. Repeat.

Walmart remodel crew? That's your job?
Odd.. they remodel Walmarts that much?

Please tell me you didn't do the biddeford one, because I can't find **** there now after the remodel.
2009-08-18, 8:21 PM #45
Six Flags Marketing Supervisor (or intern depending on how my boss is feeling) Sometimes it's a really good job and sometimes it sucks some major major butt. regardless, it's killing me because it's seasonal, so I have a bachelor's degree and I'm making 9.50/hr with no benefits.
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2009-08-18, 9:11 PM #46
I make more then you, and im a deli clerk.
2009-08-18, 9:14 PM #47
I sell food at a seaside amusement park. It's p. good.
2009-08-18, 9:14 PM #48
Legislative Counsel...can't beat it.
2009-08-18, 9:25 PM #49
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
then who

e: Oh Sarn!

I'll forgive you this, as you have been much more coherent and tolerable lately, but Sran needs not be corrected. It's from before your time.

As for the initial thread, I'm a Digital Forensic Investigator in an enterprise space. No criminals, just idiots. It's fun. And I'm paid well.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2009-08-18, 9:55 PM #50
Let me be the first to say ZOMG EasyCheese.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2009-08-19, 1:40 AM #51
I was a mess attendant on a research vessel, but I quit because the Captain and chief steward were dicks.

o.0
2009-08-19, 6:28 AM #52
Originally posted by Detty:
Really? I've heard good things about it.

Their ORM is some crappy mix between OO and not. They force you into this tiny box and if you have to do something different than what they imagined, you have to jump through flaming hoops of ****. Their error handling is nonexistent, their logging system is a nightmare and a half (doesn't work), and their documentation, while at first glance appears good, is actually really bad. They have array-itis using arrays with specified keys to pass everything around, but they don't define those keys in the documentation in many cases. Their core classes leak like the Rusty Bucket, but most people don't notice because they never have any long-running processes.

I would say it's fine for a small project but really on a small project you don't get much benefit out of using a large framework.
2009-08-19, 6:38 AM #53
Today, I'm hating my job. Its extremely slow and boring and I'm running out of websites to visit. Still, I'm getting payed 17$/h to wait so I can stomach it.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2009-08-19, 6:43 AM #54
No ORM is perfect though, I generally find that trying force the OO paradigm onto databases sets you up for a world of hurt in terms of the kind of queries you have to run. I'm now fairly confident that a large web site should always exist as a pesistent process (with shared memory if clustered) which only uses the database for hard storage - regular site usage should never hit the DB.

This all means that once your site reaches a certain size, the benefits of using an existing framework diminish to the point that you're pretty much just using it for URL mapping and form validation.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2009-08-19, 10:17 AM #55
I think I might already hate the job I'm interviewing for today.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2009-08-19, 10:22 AM #56
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
actually, that would be E-4, not E-6.

And yes, Steven. Officers out rank enlisted. But we have a term for guys like that. We call them Butterbars. And we tread them respectfully, and call them Sir or Ma'am, but they don't really have as much authority as you seem to think. I have quite honestly, never been given an order by any officer, because they know better than to try and give them.

Everyone knows NCOs run the military. That's not the point. The point is that the pay is better, and the job is less physically demanding.
2009-08-19, 1:17 PM #57
Originally posted by Squirrel King:
Walmart remodel crew? That's your job?
Odd.. they remodel Walmarts that much?

Please tell me you didn't do the biddeford one, because I can't find **** there now after the remodel.

Every Walmart is remodeled every five years. I'm in the Brewer store, and I've only been doing it for three weeks. No one has done it before, as the company uses temp workers for the remodel and then decides whether or not to keep them on. I can't imagine why the remodels don't turn out well!
2009-08-19, 4:37 PM #58
Originally posted by Detty:
No ORM is perfect though, I generally find that trying force the OO paradigm onto databases sets you up for a world of hurt in terms of the kind of queries you have to run. I'm now fairly confident that a large web site should always exist as a pesistent process (with shared memory if clustered) which only uses the database for hard storage - regular site usage should never hit the DB.

This all means that once your site reaches a certain size, the benefits of using an existing framework diminish to the point that you're pretty much just using it for URL mapping and form validation.

I don't expect their ORM to be perfect, but it's probably the worst I've ever used. Not in regards to the queries you can/can't run with it, but because of the way it's not really OO -- you can use it in this psuedo-oo bastardization sometimes, but in general you use a model "object" that's built into your controller, and on that you call methods like read() with some conditions. The read will return an associative array with your requested data in it. No iterators, no objects, no methods, no way to call methods on it because it's not an object, etc. In addition, when you call read() it not only returns the data but also populates the controller class $this->data array, which, along with the returned array, are always keyed off the model name you called, so you get these two twisted copies which are also shared with form submission data so it's a huge cluster**** nightmare. Your resulting arrays end up looking something like this:

Code:
$this->data = array(
    'UserModel' => array(
        'id' => 5,
        'name' => 'Brian'
    ),
    'CarModel' => array(
        'id' => 88,
        'user_id' => 5
    )
);

And you pass this huge array around to the various model classes who by convention only look at their associated key, although that's not entirely true in some cases if you have some associations set up. Of course, none of this is transparent and the document refers to everything you pass around as $data or $options and rarely if ever actually go through the various keys you can set in $options (and of course, if you mistype a key there's no error checking as you'd get with real named arguments or function/method parameters so it basically just ignores it if you happen to fatfinger something).

Anyway, their url mapping sucks, too, as does their really, really crappy form validation. I've been using it for ~3 weeks now and the more I use it, the more I dislike it.
2009-08-19, 4:39 PM #59
Originally posted by Roger Spruce:
Every Walmart is remodeled every five years. I'm in the Brewer store, and I've only been doing it for three weeks. No one has done it before, as the company uses temp workers for the remodel and then decides whether or not to keep them on. I can't imagine why the remodels don't turn out well!

Is that a new policy? The walmarts around here were recently remodelled and one of them had been at least 10-12 years (ever since I can remember) w/out anything done to it. And their remodels are pretty bad -- they refloored the entryway and got new carts, moved some stuff around, but in general it's pretty much the same as it was (old/cracked floors throughout). They built a new one in the next town over and it looks like a whole different chain -- really nice (for a walmart) - I think it's a SUPER DUPER walmart or something, it has regular walmart stuff + groceries. Still have to wait in line forever to buy anything, though :(
2009-08-19, 4:45 PM #60
Well, as another post right after my last two... I just got off the phone with that security company I mentioned and they offered me a job at 10k/yr more than the one I'm at now, plus I get to use perl instead of PHP, and I can work from home 1-2 days per week. The downside is that the company is a lot less stable (although they'd put $20k in a trust fund so I'd have a cushion -- basically to ensure I got paid if their cashflow dried up suddenly). Decisions, decisions.
2009-08-19, 4:51 PM #61
I'm not sure how recent a development it is, I just know what I've been told in the three weeks I've been employed. Some stores receive new units, have new counters built, etc. The store I'm working in is moving some stuff around, re-tiling the floor and building new coolers. Almost all of the equipment is refurbished, not new. Overall it seems very half-assed, and like I mentioned before, they mostly use temp workers for the remodel which results in a lot of shoddy work.

I like to compare my job to running the 100y dash in the Special Olympics. Management keeps telling me that I stand out above the rest of the workers but at the end of that day, I'm still running in the Special Olympics.
2009-08-19, 5:12 PM #62
I hate my job, even though it has such potential to be good. The problem is that the working environment doesn't do anyone any favours for getting things done (I got more work done in the 2 weeks I was at home recovering from an operation than in months of being in the office). The pay isn't good, and there are no benefits. The standards the company has are so low that I constantly have to bite my tongue because otherwise I'd just be criticising other peoples work none-stop.

The company just isn't willing to invest in serious quality, they treat everyone as expendable. It's a shame because all the people low down in the company have so much potential and the company never utilises it.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2009-08-19, 5:38 PM #63
Quote:
I'll forgive you this, as you have been much more coherent and tolerable lately, but Sran needs not be corrected. It's from before your time.
Actually... Sran is alive and kicking. :p (in a manner of speaking)

And Steven: Yes that's true, but people with 4 yr college degrees generally do make more money doing easier work than those without. That's true of any organization, not just the military.

Geb: Sweet. I didn't know you were testing consoles now. :D Fun times. You should use your game testing experience to try and find a job with a legitimate game testing company. Like how Lynsey (ex-roommate for everyone else, Geb met her in person) went from working for an outsourcing company on behalf of Qwest to working directly for Qwest (though she doesn't seem to be now... *shrug*).

Quote:
Every Walmart is remodeled every five years.
Wow this is the kind of blanket policy that could conceivably cost them millions of dollars with no real benefit. I'm surprised they do it like that. (Kinda reminds me of the US Navy. :o)
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2009-08-20, 1:30 AM #64
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
actually, that would be E-4, not E-6.

And yes, Steven. Officers out rank enlisted. But we have a term for guys like that. We call them Butterbars. And we tread them respectfully, and call them Sir or Ma'am, but they don't really have as much authority as you seem to think. I have quite honestly, never been given an order by any officer, because they know better than to try and give them.

That's because the officers tell a senior NCO what to do, who in turn, tells you what to do.
Pissed Off?
2009-08-20, 2:27 AM #65
actually, more often then not, the officers ask the senior enlisted what they should do. The senior enlisted gives his/her advice, and then the officer orders it done.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.

↑ Up to the top!