Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Inglourious Basterds
Inglourious Basterds
2009-08-21, 11:32 PM #1
I loved the film. The first chapter was such a great hook in both introducing you to the way language would be used in the film, long dialogue scenes (and how much tension they would generate). I think this is QT's masterpiece. I don't think there's much I'd change about the film (except the music being a tad too loud in parts, but that could have been my theater's sound system). It was very, very, well done. Christoph Waltz was AMAZING.

Also got to see a snippet of Christopher Nolan's Inception - which albeit brief, hooked me as well.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2009-08-21, 11:38 PM #2
It looks fantastic, I'll see it when I can.
2009-08-21, 11:40 PM #3
My only critique is the music in the first half of the movie. It's too much like a Kill Bill remix and took me out of the movie a bit more than I would like. But music in movies is my pet peeve - other wise I loved it.

<3 The Bear Jew
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
2009-08-22, 12:49 AM #4
Loved it.
一个大西瓜
2009-08-22, 1:03 AM #5
Horrible violence against Nazis?

Best movie ever, can't wait until September. Bloody Yerp
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2009-08-22, 1:42 AM #6
The one thing I was disappointed with was the fact that the "Yes yes yes yes yes" from the trailers wasn't actually in the movie <_<
一个大西瓜
2009-08-22, 1:44 AM #7
"Nien nien nien NIEN!" "Oh yes yes yes YES!" isn't in the movie?
Automatic negative 2 stars.
2009-08-22, 2:18 AM #8
I really expected the two plans to get in each others' way and both fail . The ending was madness, but very satisfying.
Why do the heathens rage behind the firehouse?
2009-08-22, 2:19 AM #9
Spell nein right and see the movie. You'll see.

As far as the movie goes? Let's just say, THAT'S A BINGO!!!
2009-08-22, 8:34 AM #10
I liked it, I was a little disappointed with the ending - ... I wasnt expecting the Alternate History aspect - that they succeed in killing Hitler. Although everything else about it was great. The 'Jew Hunter' character was excellent.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2009-08-22, 8:46 AM #11
The Guardian Newspaper hated it. I'll wait to make up my own mind.
2009-08-23, 12:35 AM #12
Terrible movie.

A waste of $10 and three hours.
2009-08-23, 9:17 AM #13
i thoroughly enjoyed it, but the 5 other people i went with did not.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2009-08-23, 7:18 PM #14
Quite enjoyed it. It's obviously ridiculous, but the pacing of it is really well-executed.
2009-08-23, 7:36 PM #15
I really really really liked it. It's probably my second favorite Tarantino movie, after Pulp Fiction (this jumped ahead of Reservoir Dogs for me).

I thought all the acting was extremely superb, and I thought the choice for the alternative universe just made the movie even better. It allowed for people to laugh at things that you'd have to be a horrible horrible human being to laugh at. In a sense, to me it acknowledged how awful the numerous atrocities that occured in WWII were.

I thought the ending sequence was EXCELLENTLY done, and I thought the 'Jew Hunter' was extremely well cast. He will probably get a oscar nom for it I'm sure. He reminded me of a more twisted German dude from Raiders of the Lost Ark.

'THATS A BINGO!!!"
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2009-08-23, 7:37 PM #16
Yeah, that guy was really, really wonderful in this movie :)
2009-08-24, 9:10 PM #17
Out of curiosity, how violent was this movie?
2009-08-24, 9:12 PM #18
Its long, tense dialogue scenes punctuated by violence. In the movie there is probably 10 minutes of actual violence.
2009-08-24, 10:45 PM #19
One of the best movies I have ever seen.

The first scene is cinematic genius. It's probably the most tense scene I have seen in my entire life.

Also:

HUGO STIGLITZ
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2009-08-25, 12:32 AM #20
I also liked that the last line in the movie ("I do believe this is my greatest masterpiece" or whatever) is sort of a Tarantino easter egg/breaking the fourth wall --I think I read somewhere that he considered the Basterds script his masterpiece. Or at least, that's how I interpreted it.
一个大西瓜
2009-08-25, 2:33 AM #21
Originally posted by mscbuck:
... and I thought the choice for the alternative universe just made the movie even better.

The more I think about it, I dont have an issue with alternate universe storylines, I just dont like being surprised by it. I really like how 'Watchmen' setup their alternate universe.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2009-08-25, 4:12 PM #22
Originally posted by TimeWolfOfThePast:
Its long, tense dialogue scenes punctuated by violence. In the movie there is probably 10 minutes of actual violence.

So it's kind of like Watchmen? The Trailer made Inglorious Basterds seem more like an action movie ala Kill Bill.
2009-08-25, 4:14 PM #23
Watchmen had way more violence (and action in general) than Inglourious Basterds
一个大西瓜
2009-08-25, 6:33 PM #24
This movie is ill.
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2009-08-25, 8:43 PM #25
Originally posted by Pommy:
.... had way more violence (and action in general) than Inglourious Basterds

There was surprisingly little action. I mean... What does Brad Pitt's character actaully do? :)
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2009-08-25, 9:22 PM #26
make art out of nazis?
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2009-08-25, 11:36 PM #27
Speak Italian with a southern accent?
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2009-08-25, 11:50 PM #28
Fantastic movie.
2009-08-26, 8:22 AM #29
Great movie. I saw it yesterday.

But those stupid Germans dubbed over all the English-speaking characters so you sometimes wondered whether someone was speaking German or English in a scene.
I just don't get why they didn't go the route of just providing subtitles for the English parts...
Well, I'll wait for the DVD release to fix that.

I wonder how it is in the French version.
Sorry for the lousy German
2009-08-26, 8:54 AM #30
I'm surprised they could show it in Germany at all.
2009-08-26, 9:19 AM #31
Originally posted by Outlaw Torn:
Speak Italian with a southern accent?

I almost wet myself laughing at that part.
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2009-08-26, 4:15 PM #32
I saw it today, but unfortunately I missed out on most of the foreign dialogue as they only had Hungarian subtitles in the theater (and my Hungarian is, er, mediocre). I can't say I outright "loved" it (as I did Pulp Fiction or Kill Bill 1), but I'm definitely seeing this again. With proper subtitles.

The bar shootout was probably the most memorable scene for me (apart from the superb intro, of course). And the brave German officer that gets bludgeoned - great scene, some very good acting, too.

There's probably just one thing that kind of bugged me - the very very fist scene of the movie, when La Padite is chopping a stump with an axe for no apparent reason...
幻術
2009-08-26, 4:20 PM #33
Just got back from seeing it. Thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing, apart from the fire alarm that went off about 40 minutes before the end that forced us all to walk down 10 flights of stairs and out the back of the theatre, only to be allowed back in the front and find out they kept the film rolling. Basterds.

Very clever dialogue, and the talky bits were long enough to make you forget that Tarantino likes his bloody acts of violence so most of them were a complete surprise when they occurred. I'm not sure what I was expecting but I didn't expect such a wonderful bit of film.
2009-08-26, 5:28 PM #34
Originally posted by Koobie:
There's probably just one thing that kind of bugged me - the very very fist scene of the movie, when La Padite is chopping a stump with an axe for no apparent reason...

That bugged me too. It also bugged me how his pipe disappeared the shot right after he lit it.

I generally liked it, but I thought the music and other style choices were pretty bad. The acting however was fantastic, and there's a bunch of really beautiful shots/scenes.
2009-08-26, 6:28 PM #35
Originally posted by LividDK:
Just got back from seeing it. Thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing, apart from the fire alarm that went off about 40 minutes before the end that forced us all to walk down 10 flights of stairs and out the back of the theatre, only to be allowed back in the front and find out they kept the film rolling. Basterds.

That seems like something that would enhance a WW2 movie experience.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2009-08-26, 7:35 PM #36
"Once I get that guy, you've got 30 feet to get to that guy. Can you do it?"

"I have to."
2009-08-26, 10:43 PM #37
Originally posted by Jon`C:
I'm surprised they could show it in Germany at all.

Interestingly enough the rating of this movie is lower in Germany than in the UK or the USA.
Sorry for the lousy German
2009-08-27, 4:18 AM #38
Originally posted by Krokodile:
That seems like something that would enhance a WW2 movie experience.

To be honest it happened while they were all in the theatre waiting to set it on fire , so we weren't entirely sure at first if it wasn't something Tarantino had included in the film. At least, it seemed like something he'd do. But then we saw people leave and thought "no, definitely on fire" :P
2009-08-27, 4:23 AM #39
Originally posted by Pommy:
Watchmen had way more violence (and action in general) than Inglourious Basterds

:o

I disliked Watchmen because I felt it lacked action. O_o
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2009-08-27, 8:59 AM #40
Watchmen was never intended to be an action movie...

↑ Up to the top!