Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → quitting the sauce
quitting the sauce
2009-09-25, 5:50 AM #1
so i'm done drinking. forever. this is way harder than it sounds.
>>untie shoes
2009-09-25, 5:53 AM #2
No it's not. It sounds really ****ing difficult. :P

Best of luck.
2009-09-25, 5:56 AM #3
for the last several years i've been drinking about 2 gallons of whiskey each week. i'm talking about drinking morning noon and night. all day long. every day.

i'm sitting here right now nauseated as hell... shaking like a leaf.... tired as hell and can't sleep. but this is it.. no more booze for me.
>>untie shoes
2009-09-25, 6:04 AM #4
That's probably why you couldn't sleep in the first place.
2009-09-25, 6:09 AM #5
I haven't had booze in a week or two.
2009-09-25, 6:10 AM #6
Wow, liver damage anyone?

I only drink once or twice a month, and every time I do I give the laughable 'no more drinking' quote... but for you, I hope its true.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-09-25, 6:13 AM #7
The all important thing to remember is, that if you are indeed an alcoholic: you can never drink.
Too many think that after 6 months, a year, or whenever (despite their original decision) that it's been long enough, and they've proven they're ok, and then they have a drink and BAM they're back to their problem.

In the meantime, don't be afraid to ask for help, even if it's just someone to whinge at.
I'm sure that a decent chunk of massassians are ready to help you through chat at least, but having a 'real life' person will be able to help more.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2009-09-25, 6:22 AM #8
this is horrific. i can't hold anything down.
>>untie shoes
2009-09-25, 6:23 AM #9
Originally posted by Deadman:
The all important thing to remember is, that if you are indeed an alcoholic: you can never drink.
Too many think that after 6 months, a year, or whenever (despite their original decision) that it's been long enough, and they've proven they're ok, and then they have a drink and BAM they're back to their problem.

That's my uncle. He went to AA, and even went to one of those houses to get off alcohol. A couple years later, he has a couple of drinks, and he's back to drinking all over again. He didn't even have an excuse for it, it's not like he was depressed or anything. Of course, that's changed now, as the alcohol has ruined quite a few things for him.
2009-09-25, 6:24 AM #10
A statistically significant percentage of male alcoholics are subconsciously self-medicating undiagnosed agoraphobics. If this includes you, talking to a psychiatrist could give you the best chance of breaking your addiction.
2009-09-25, 6:27 AM #11
yeah i drink all the time for no reason. that's why i have to quit completely.
>>untie shoes
2009-09-25, 6:37 AM #12
Wow. I love whiskey, but 2 gallons a week? Good luck staying off, I'm sure it won't be fun for starters.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2009-09-25, 6:46 AM #13
Jon has a good point. I don't know if you're an agoraphobic, but at two gallons per week you definitely need to see a psychologist for counseling.

AA is an option but the success rate isn't that high. And as I recall, you're an atheist, whereas AA requires you to console in a "higher power." Secular support groups are more effective anyway, you might look into one of those.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-09-25, 6:48 AM #14
You should know that alcohol withdrawal can be lethal...
2009-09-25, 6:56 AM #15
i feel like i'm going to die

this is physically painful
>>untie shoes
2009-09-25, 6:57 AM #16
Um, take it a bit slower then?
2009-09-25, 6:57 AM #17
it has to be gone.....
>>untie shoes
2009-09-25, 7:06 AM #18
Not if you kill yourself in the process. Get some help, go to a hospital, even.
2009-09-25, 7:08 AM #19
From Wikipedia: "Alcohol (ethanol) itself at low doses has been found to be superior to chlordiazepoxide in the detoxification of alcohol dependent patients. Low dose ethanol as a means of weaning alcoholics off of alcohol was found to produce less profound sleep disturbances during withdrawal.[36] Low dose ethanol has been found to reduce treatment time, improve the failure rate from 20% down to 7% and increase retention in treatment centres with an increased rate of alcoholics attending substance misuse clinics after detoxification.[37]"

You're literally more likely to succeed if you take it slow. There's no reason to do it on your own, either.
2009-09-25, 7:26 AM #20
I'll have a beer/wine or two and I usually sparse them out over a few hours.

You sure you don't have alcohol poisoning?
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2009-09-25, 7:32 AM #21
Originally posted by Emon:
Jon has a good point. I don't know if you're an agoraphobic, but at two gallons per week you definitely need to see a psychologist for counseling.

AA is an option but the success rate isn't that high. And as I recall, you're an atheist, whereas AA requires you to console in a "higher power." Secular support groups are more effective anyway, you might look into one of those.

There are secular support groups, but from what I've heard, they're basically just groups of people that didn't have success in AA that ***** about the program.

AA works really well for some people, the higher power thing is not religious, but more spiritual. It's not "Believe in God" but "Believe in whatever you want". I've read that in the south the programs are more religious based, but most programs are more than welcoming to all beliefs.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2009-09-25, 8:07 AM #22
All you have to think of in AA when someone mentions God, is just think Good Orderly Direction.
2009-09-25, 8:18 AM #23
or Qod the ultimate higher power...

but i forgot... Qod encourages drinking
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2009-09-25, 8:24 AM #24
Good luck! I definitely wasn't up to the amount you were drinking but the most difficult part I found with quitting was friends and the peer pressure they can create.
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
2009-09-25, 9:22 AM #25
If a "friend" tempts an alcoholic with his poison, he's not a friend and you can safely abandon him at an Arby's.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-09-25, 9:24 AM #26
this is just intense stomach pain and shaking like crazy.
>>untie shoes
2009-09-25, 9:25 AM #27
Stop posting and have someone come over and spoon feed you wine until your body calms down, then go to bed.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-09-25, 4:02 PM #28
ok the worst is over

still not fun to be me right now though
>>untie shoes
2009-09-25, 4:20 PM #29
I hope the worst is over. Like I said, alcohol withdrawal can kill you.
2009-09-25, 4:41 PM #30
i'm not violently vomiting or hallucinating anymore. so yeah i think the worst is over
>>untie shoes
2009-09-25, 4:42 PM #31
I'm glad the worst is over. Good luck Antony!
DO NOT WANT.
2009-09-25, 4:43 PM #32
Originally posted by Vin:
I haven't had booze in a week or two.

I've only had one sip of alcohol in my life, about 4 years ago. Don't see the appeal.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2009-09-25, 4:46 PM #33
Originally posted by Freelancer:
I've only had one sip of alcohol in my life, about 4 years ago. Don't see the appeal.

It's probably because you only had one sip and not 30.
2009-09-25, 11:10 PM #34
Originally posted by Freelancer:

I think that's a shame. The people who go out and get absolutely trashed for the sake of it seem to ruin the image of alcoholic drinks for the people who don't, whereas those of us who enjoy the taste and/or drink recreationally in moderate amounts get tarred with the same brush.
2009-09-26, 3:16 AM #35
Originally posted by Jon`C:
A statistically significant percentage of male alcoholics are subconsciously self-medicating undiagnosed agoraphobics. If this includes you, talking to a psychiatrist could give you the best chance of breaking your addiction.

I'm an agoraphobic (though after a lot of work it currently does not affect my life all that much) and when I drink more than I usually do (I usually drink little enough to just get sort of tipsy) I feel I can be outside and go places without even those shreds of discomfort that I still normally experience. For this to happen is of course a dangerous thing as it will naturally encourage heavier drinking. I myself have been able to avoid this so far, but I acknowledge the risk.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2009-09-26, 12:40 PM #36
my withdrawl is pretty much over now. i can actually eat/drink again. i'm still shaking a bit though.
>>untie shoes
2009-09-26, 1:04 PM #37
Good for you Antony!
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2009-09-26, 1:34 PM #38
cheers to that
2009-09-27, 6:57 PM #39
agreed, cheers, good to hear
2009-09-27, 7:37 PM #40
I am ****ing stoked about this all out of proportion to any connection I have to you. Good ****ing luck, man. I'm rooting for you all the way.

↑ Up to the top!