Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Anyone else enjoy RISK?
Anyone else enjoy RISK?
2009-09-25, 12:53 PM #1
The board game?

I know one game lasts like 2 lifetimes, but its great. It's like the RTS'es of old.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-09-25, 1:02 PM #2
I despise Risk. Friends become enemies, people cry, and tables get flipped.

And I just get plain frustrated.
2009-09-25, 1:03 PM #3
It helps if you're drinking. The rage is turned into laughs.
2009-09-25, 1:09 PM #4
I like it.

UKRAINE IS GAME TO YOU?!!!
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2009-09-25, 1:12 PM #5
I wouldn't play it without drinking....
2009-09-25, 1:22 PM #6
I love risk. Me and my friends have Dutch army surplus helmets spray painted into our army's colour. Mine's the green one.
2009-09-25, 1:50 PM #7
Originally posted by Citizen86:
Friends become enemies, people cry, and tables get flipped.

This is why I love Risk. Nothing better than flying into a fit of rage at your friends for backstabbing you at 3:30 in the morning.

Greatest game ever.
2009-09-25, 2:04 PM #8
I should learn how to play it.
2009-09-25, 2:05 PM #9
Step 1: Drink
Step 2: Role Dice
Step 3: Prepare for a long night... unless you're out first. Then bring something to read
2009-09-25, 2:16 PM #10

[http://www.lynchs.com/images/3753.jpg]

??? :P

I've never actually played risk outside of the internet. :(
nope.
2009-09-25, 2:27 PM #11
Chasing people across the world: The Game.
2009-09-25, 2:43 PM #12
I love RISK (Axis & Allies, too). Every year in ROTC we'd take a week and play "Global Domination Exercises" using the PC game and played real-time matches.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2009-09-25, 2:52 PM #13
Step 1: Drink
Step 3: Prepare for a long night... unless you're out first. Then bring something to read

Step 3: If you're out first, drink more and play N64 until more players join you in failure.
2009-09-25, 2:57 PM #14
Oh, stop being stuck in the late 90's
A 360 will serve you fine.
2009-09-25, 3:00 PM #15
You own an XBox, we get it already.

I know it's been a while since you posted something like that but it still gets on my wick.
nope.
2009-09-25, 3:02 PM #16
Build in Australia.

Dominate.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-09-25, 3:09 PM #17
Actually, I've always found that the Australia tactic doesn't work well against experienced players. If you stick just in Australia, you end up growing too slowly compared to other players who stabilize a continent. You also don't have an easy way to take a second continent: Africa is the best choice, but it's completely detached from where you are, so you have two full sets of boundaries to guard.

South America is definitely the place to go. Depending on the distribution of skill/strength/alliances around the rest of the board, you can expand either into Africa or North America once you're ready. (North America is better by far--once you've got it, you're getting 7 bonus troops to cover only three borders. Generally NA is the most Balkanized continent, too, for some reason--everybody tends to slug it out in the eastern hemisphere, for no apparent reason...)
2009-09-25, 3:17 PM #18
I actually go for Asia, even though it's such a pain in the arse to hold. Gives me a chance to flush Australia and pester whoever's holding North America.
$do || ! $do ; try
2009-09-25, 3:23 PM #19
How do you... you don't actually hold Asia, though, right? Australia sitting on Siam alone will prevent you from doing that.
2009-09-25, 3:32 PM #20
I always just make an alliance with someone and let them build weak borders to me, and then team up with the guy on the other border and kill them.
2009-09-25, 3:46 PM #21
Originally posted by Baconfish:
You own an XBox, we get it already.

I know it's been a while since you posted something like that but it still gets on my wick.

Actually I don't.
2009-09-25, 3:46 PM #22
South america for sure. I was going to say Asia as a joke....
2009-09-25, 4:01 PM #23
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
Oh, stop being stuck in the late 90's
A 360 will serve you fine.

First off, N64 > > > > > > > > 360. Why you ask? Because no child who got a Xbox 360 for Christmas did this:

Besides, N64 had way more smash hits than your turd PC360 has churned out...

(I also own a 360...)
2009-09-25, 4:03 PM #24
I love the N64 too, many good times. But we have to move on.
2009-09-25, 4:05 PM #25
I disagree, that's like saying everyone should stop playing the piano because someone invented the synthesizer.
nope.
2009-09-25, 4:10 PM #26
The difference is, people still make new pianos.
2009-09-25, 4:14 PM #27
People are still making new levels and editing Jedi Knight *shrug*
2009-09-25, 4:17 PM #28
Theres also 3rd party consoles and games being sold in places like Brazil.
nope.
2009-09-25, 4:19 PM #29
Quote:

Nintendo still makes new systems?
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-09-25, 4:25 PM #30

On something of a tangent, it's a shame that the video game industry as a whole encourages a sort of 'fashion sense' in that a game or gaming system becomes "obsolete" after something new comes out. If it's a well-designed game that capitalizes on the advantages of the graphics, controllers, etc. the system offers, and if the system is well-designed (unique controls), the systems and games should continue to be made. I realize that this is not really practical from a business perspective and also that the latest in gaming systems have embraces producing and re-producing 'retro' games, but I'll still be all :( about it.

Also, in regards to Risk, I've never played it, but strategy games on a large scale/military motif never really grabbed me either.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2009-09-25, 4:32 PM #31
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2009-09-25, 4:48 PM #32
Do I enjoy Risk? LOL. Considering I made this thread, I'd say I'm a tad obsessed.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2009-09-25, 5:18 PM #33

People still make a lot of new things when people prefer the older models.

I like the N64 still because its CHEAP to buy games for, I can get almost any of the hits for 5-10 bucks, and own a PHYSICAL copy of it, not a rom on some server that the company owns. It also has WAY more smash hit titles that I loved, where as most attempts at such titles today are failures because companies now spend millions of dollars making a game that would have been more fun if HALF of that money was spent on game QUALITY not graphics and "look what we can do" effects.

I can play Super Smash Bros, Wayne Gretzkey's 3D Hockey, and Star Fox 64 until my eyes bleed, and they never get old. I never even finished most of my 360/Wii games... they just get boring.
2009-09-25, 6:06 PM #34
Originally posted by Vornskr:
How do you... you don't actually hold Asia, though, right? Australia sitting on Siam alone will prevent you from doing that.

No, I'll actually hold Asia. It'll usually go back and forth, can't get the bonus for too many consecutive turns, but enough that it makes it all worth it so I can *****slap whoever challenges my borders. I can **** with almost every other continent's borders at the same time, depriving everyone else of bonus troops in the process.
$do || ! $do ; try
2009-09-25, 6:06 PM #35
the most epic game I've ever played was with some of my high school friends. I'm normaly not a very good risk player and am normaly first or second out unless another player takes pity on my un-armored warriors with pea shooters.

But, this game there was two amazing players that always dominate the game, so they each decided to try and beat the other and only focused on attacking other players for cards or if we were in the way of an attack.

as a result this allowed the smaller players to build up armies and take smaller portions of the board and while the two super poweres duked it out the smaller armies got stronger. eventually they clued into my tactic and started to attack me.

now, we had a house rule that stated that if you were being attacked and had a territory connected to the one being attacked, you can retreat your troops to the other territory but you have to leave 1 token army behind to fight, this often ment the attacker was able to take your territory, but it also ment that you were able to preserve alot of your own military and build up a larger army at the front.

well, I kept retreating until the only territory I had was greenland, and every time it was my turn, all i'd do is attack england or north america and get a card and then just place all my troops on the one continent.

near the end the two super powers were spread out too thin to control their territories and in one turn I swept over the north america, down into south, across into Africa and then up into Europe, in one turn I controlled 3/4 of the world.

what I didn't really pay attention to was that one of my friends was also doing the same thing in Australia and we had an epic war for control of Asia.
The Gas Station
2009-09-25, 9:29 PM #36
i've only ever played the version that is just europe and northern africa. and that only a couple of times. it was fun, but sitting in a donut shop for 5-6 hours is not good for your stomach. oh the coffee.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2009-09-25, 9:52 PM #37
Originally posted by KOP_AoEJedi:
I like the N64 still because its CHEAP to buy games for, I can get almost any of the hits for 5-10 bucks, and own a PHYSICAL copy of it, not a rom on some server that the company owns. It also has WAY more smash hit titles that I loved, where as most attempts at such titles today are failures because companies now spend millions of dollars making a game that would have been more fun if HALF of that money was spent on game QUALITY not graphics and "look what we can do" effects.

I think you have nostalgia poisoning.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-09-25, 10:30 PM #38
I never understood how to determine who won a battle based on the dice rolls.... but then its also been about 9 years since I attempted to play Risk.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2009-09-26, 1:36 AM #39
We recently discovered the StarCraft Boardgame to be surprisingly good. It's a little like Risk, but without dices. If you like strategy games but are tired of Risk you should try it out.
Best thing is that they managed to catch the spirit of the computer game and every plays differently.
Sorry for the lousy German
2009-09-26, 8:19 AM #40
diplomacy is way better
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.

↑ Up to the top!