Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Quarters vs. nickels
Quarters vs. nickels
2009-09-26, 4:17 PM #1
discuss
一个大西瓜
2009-09-26, 4:18 PM #2
I don't know what a nickel is you ****.
nope.
2009-09-26, 4:18 PM #3
Did you just call me a **** or a ****
一个大西瓜
2009-09-26, 4:23 PM #4
nope.
2009-09-26, 4:41 PM #5
nickel is an attractive metal with interesting properties.

being quartered would suck.

therefore, nickel is better.
2009-09-26, 4:44 PM #6
Nickel, not for it's appearance, but for it's properties.
2009-09-26, 4:48 PM #7
nickel ore is also a source of cobalt.
2009-09-26, 5:16 PM #8
psh, yankee money
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2009-09-26, 5:20 PM #9
In canada the 5 cent coins are larger then the 10
this confuses me
2009-09-26, 5:22 PM #10
Why? Because you are stupid?

Dimes were made of silver.
Nickles were made of nickle.

Silver is worth more than nickle.
2009-09-26, 5:45 PM #11
Originally posted by JM:
nickle

:awesomelon:
2009-09-26, 6:04 PM #12
I can do laundry with quarters. What ****ing good is a nickel?
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2009-09-26, 6:13 PM #13
Originally posted by JM:
Why? Because you are stupid?

Dimes were made of silver.
Nickles were made of nickle.

Silver is worth more than nickle.

Oh, they always look the same, I assumed they were both made of nickle.
Derp on my part.
2009-09-26, 6:13 PM #14
You could use a bunch to buy a washing machine you ****ing bum.
nope.
2009-09-26, 8:50 PM #15
I always thought they quit using nickel, and they were made of silver. But I read that they are a nickel-copper alloy. Hm. Interesting.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2009-09-26, 9:08 PM #16
They stopped using silver in coins around 1965.

[EDIT: That is, in normal circulation coins, at least.]
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2009-09-26, 9:21 PM #17
Originally posted by Chewbubba:
I always thought they quit using nickel, and they were made of silver. But I read that they are a nickel-copper alloy. Hm. Interesting.
They do it for durability, and to keep the face value of the coin higher than the melted value without having to rebuild every vending machine in the country.

Related to that:

American pennies are copper-plated zinc now. Canadian pennies are copper-plated steel.

American dimes and quarters are, as you mentioned, nickel-clad copper. Canadian dimes and quarters are nickel-plated steel.

The present American $1 coins (as little as they're used) are brass-clad copper. The Canadian $1 coin has a particularly storied metallurgy, but it is bronze-plated nickel.
(You guys should get on that, by the way. Switching to dollar coins would save your government 5.2 cents a year for every $1 bill in circulation.)

The Canadian $2 coin has an outer ring of 100% nickel and an inner disc of a copper-aluminum-nickel alloy. Engineers among us will recognize that a copper-aluminum-nickel alloy has beneficial anti-corrosive properties. Engineers among us will also recognize that a copper-aluminum-nickel alloy has unfavorable thermal properties during Canadian winters with respect to the 100% nickel outer ring.
2009-09-26, 9:31 PM #18
If there was a good wallet-equivalent of carrying change that wasn't all "chink chink" in my pockets when I walk, I'd totally be all over the dollar coin. As it is, I hate change.

I'd also probably lose a lot more these days if arcades took dollar coins (and arcades were more plentiful).
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2009-09-26, 9:35 PM #19
I really like dollar coins. I trade in my paper dollars for coins at every opportunity. I wish we had $5 and $10 coins.
2009-09-26, 9:40 PM #20
Originally posted by Gebohq:
If there was a good wallet-equivalent of carrying change
It's called a change purse. I'm surprised you don't own one.
2009-09-26, 9:42 PM #21
At the moment nickels are worth 86% of their face value based on their metal content. That's higher than any other common currency (unless an old penny pops into your pocket).
Warhead[97]
2009-09-27, 12:48 AM #22
hehe I remember when Scott visited me... eveyr time he bought something with cash he gave me the change cause he couldn't stand to carry it around in his pocket.

I think we shouldn't even use portions of dollars. Everything should be rounded. (though I imagine that would lower the value of the american dollar). We could still use $1 coins, but we could do away with nickels and dimes and quarters and most importantly, pennies. *shudder*

and why would anyone want to carry around a change purse? I don't even carry a wallet anymore. I hate having stuff in my pockets all the time. And with iPods, cell phones, pda's, digi cameras, personal gaming devices, etc etc. we've got waaaaay too much stuff as it is. I can't wait for the day when we have a single device that does all of that stuff well (as opposed to having a cell phone that does most of that stuff half-assed).
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2009-09-27, 12:57 AM #23
k guys, the time is closing in, we're going to have to get man-bags.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2009-09-27, 8:06 AM #24
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
hehe I remember when Scott visited me... eveyr time he bought something with cash he gave me the change cause he couldn't stand to carry it around in his pocket.

I think we shouldn't even use portions of dollars. Everything should be rounded. (though I imagine that would lower the value of the american dollar). We could still use $1 coins, but we could do away with nickels and dimes and quarters and most importantly, pennies. *shudder*

and why would anyone want to carry around a change purse? I don't even carry a wallet anymore. I hate having stuff in my pockets all the time. And with iPods, cell phones, pda's, digi cameras, personal gaming devices, etc etc. we've got waaaaay too much stuff as it is. I can't wait for the day when we have a single device that does all of that stuff well (as opposed to having a cell phone that does most of that stuff half-assed).

THE MARK OF THE BEAST
2009-09-27, 8:56 AM #25
Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane:
I can do laundry with quarters. What ****ing good is a nickel?

That's strange. In my country we use what we call a cleansing agent.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2009-09-27, 8:58 AM #26
Nickels are my least favorite coin. Quarters on the other hand, are awesome. Plus they have cool backs sometimes!
2009-09-27, 9:02 AM #27
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:

...But there are thousands of things that cost less than $1.
nope.
2009-09-27, 9:19 AM #28
Originally posted by Baconfish:
...But there are thousands of things that cost less than $1.

Silly Boco. If it's less than a dollar it's free under Sarn's plan!:hist101:
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2009-09-27, 9:21 AM #29
FREE SWEETS.
nope.
2009-09-27, 9:37 AM #30
Originally posted by Krokodile:
That's strange. In my country we use what we call a cleansing agent.

What a weird and wonderful country you live in! Here, if you poured that stuff into the coin slots you'd probably damage the machine.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2009-09-27, 10:17 AM #31
Originally posted by Vin:
Nickels are my least favorite coin. Quarters on the other hand, are awesome. Plus they have cool backs sometimes!

yes, nickel backs are pretty bad.
2009-09-27, 10:17 AM #32
What a weird and wonderful country you live in! Here, if you poured that stuff into the coin slots you'd probably damage the machine.

Idea! Liquid money! BRILLIANT!
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2009-09-27, 10:19 AM #33
Originally posted by Admiral Zarn:
Idea! Liquid money! BRILLIANT!

they did it on star trek
2009-09-27, 10:38 AM #34
Originally posted by Jon`C:
yes, nickel backs are pretty bad.

Actually Nickelback is pretty awesome...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickelback

...being Canadian, I would have thought you would have known that. :D
2009-09-27, 11:17 AM #35
:carl:
nope.
2009-09-27, 11:18 AM #36

Fffffflawless victory for you sir.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2009-09-27, 11:47 AM #37
Originally posted by Jon`C:
they did it on star trek

Our currency should like be like that of gold-pressed latinum.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2009-09-27, 12:30 PM #38
Originally posted by Alco:
Actually Nickelback is pretty awesome...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickelback

...being Canadian, I would have thought you would have known that. :D

No, Nickelback sucks hard and I'm pretty sure that's what Jon was getting at.
2009-09-27, 1:27 PM #39
Originally posted by Vin:
No, Nickelback sucks hard and I'm pretty sure that's what Jon was getting at.

Really? Wow, your opinion sucks. ;)
2009-09-27, 1:41 PM #40
It's well known that they're incredibly generic. :P

But each to his own, I don't mind 'em that much.
nope.

↑ Up to the top!