Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Post your last Newegg purchase!
Post your last Newegg purchase!
2009-09-27, 8:00 PM #1
Arctic Silver 5

I'm going to shoot for a better OC and I think I need better thermal goopy stuff. :ninja:
woot!
2009-09-27, 8:05 PM #2
UNFORTUNATELY I AM BANNED FROM NEWEGG FOR LIFE SO I CAN'T BUY ANYTHING FROM THEM ANYMORE AND I CAN'T REMEMBER WHAT THE LAST THING I BOUGHT WAS BUT I CAN'T CHECK IT BECAUSE I CAN'T LOG IN BECAUSE MY ACCOUNT IS BLOCKED
一个大西瓜
2009-09-27, 8:06 PM #3
Also OCZ Freeze is the way to go for thermal paste :ninja:
一个大西瓜
2009-09-27, 8:06 PM #4
That sucks.
woot!
2009-09-27, 8:08 PM #5
Originally posted by Pommy:

4srs?

I just canceled the order. After I get a confirmation, I will look for that.
woot!
2009-09-27, 9:02 PM #6
Most of my latest build

XClio windtunnel
Sony DVD burner
BFG Tech 680 watt PSU (didn't work... and all replacements they (BFG) sent me didn't work... they became dicks and refused service)
xfx 750i mobo
4 gigs of DDR2 RAM
E8500 CPU
artic cooling freezer 7 pro heatsink/fan
750 gig HDD
and a fan
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2009-09-27, 9:08 PM #7

Wrong. Unless OCZ Freeze is dramatically different from Arctic Silver, it has the same crippling problem: it dries out over time.

The pads that come on stock heatsinks are fine. They're a phase-changing material that settles in over time and provides great performance.

If you really want something better, you can try liquid metal pads, which should be better than any commercial paste, or make your own diamond thermal paste, which is better than anything else ever in the history of ever.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-09-27, 9:09 PM #8
Originally posted by Emon:
Wrong. Unless OCZ Freeze is dramatically different from Arctic Silver, it has the same crippling problem: it dries out over time.

The pads that come on stock heatsinks are fine. They're a phase-changing material that settles in over time and provides great performance.

If you really want something better, you can try liquid metal pads, which should be better than any commercial paste, or make your own diamond thermal paste, which is better than anything else ever in the history of ever.

Apparently it is.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1265/ocz_freeze_thermal_interface_material/index.html
woot!
2009-09-27, 9:13 PM #9
I've been looking at buying a new 2.1 speaker set for the last couple weeks. I'm just not sure what I wan to buy. Also been looking at some monitors. Sucks having some cash burning a hole in your pocket.
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2009-09-27, 9:15 PM #10
nothing ever
Also I was under the impression that artic silver was stupid, and AMD even did a study and confirmed it.
2009-09-27, 9:15 PM #11
I generally don't trust anything by the OC and tweak community, because they're full of retards.

Also they don't seem to mention anything about the longevity, only the temperature differences. Which aren't that much.
2009-09-27, 9:16 PM #12
MY last purchase
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832138014

last purchase on my account which was paid for with my aunt's card for my aunt's computer which only had 256MB 64MB of which was being used by the onboard video limiting her to 192MB... and she wondered why her computer was so horribly slow
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820141423

the only other order on my order history is a power supply i ordered in 2006

i had placed an order for an x-fi at one point but cancelled when i found one much cheaper
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2009-09-27, 9:20 PM #13
I generally don't trust anything by the OC and tweak community, because they're full of retards.

Also they don't seem to mention anything about the longevity, only the temperature differences. Which aren't that much.

Sucks to be wrong, doesn't it. ;)
woot!
2009-09-27, 9:30 PM #14
I don't consider 3 C to be enough of a difference to matter. If you want to overclock you should be looking at the real limiting factor: the heatsink itself.
2009-09-27, 9:45 PM #15
I don't consider 3 C to be enough of a difference to matter. If you want to overclock you should be looking at the real limiting factor: the heatsink itself.

Where are you getting 3c difference?

I've been overclocking for years - first was a Duron 750. My E5200 is happily running a ~30% overclock with an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro. Call BS if you like, but for less than 10 bucks, it's worth it to me.

Oh, and:
Attachment: 22744/as52stock.jpg (109,741 bytes)
woot!
2009-09-27, 9:47 PM #16
oh and what?
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2009-09-27, 10:04 PM #17
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
oh and what?

Refresh.
woot!
2009-09-27, 10:08 PM #18
"Many thanks to Arctic Silver for sponsoring this review."

Red flags anyone?
2009-09-27, 10:22 PM #19
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
"Many thanks to Arctic Silver for sponsoring this review."

Red flags anyone?

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=4&artpage=472&articID=121

http://aphnetworks.com/reviews/coolermaster_nanofusion_vs_arctic_silver_5

http://www.gruntville.com/reviews/thermal/as5/page5.php

Keep looking if you want...if you find anything that shows factory-applied thermal paste running cooler than AS5, AS MX-2, OCZ Freeze, etc., please post it.
woot!
2009-09-27, 10:24 PM #20
Real men use mercury as thermal paste

Edit: my bad, wikipedia informs me that mercury is actually a poor thermal conductor
Stuff
2009-09-27, 10:29 PM #21
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2009-09-27, 10:29 PM #22
Originally posted by JLee:
http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=4&artpage=472&articID=121

http://aphnetworks.com/reviews/coolermaster_nanofusion_vs_arctic_silver_5

http://www.gruntville.com/reviews/thermal/as5/page5.php

Keep looking if you want...if you find anything that shows factory-applied thermal paste running cooler than AS5, AS MX-2, OCZ Freeze, etc., please post it.

Oh well, alright.
I'm just a skeptical person.
6 bux for paste seems like a "Win/lose nothing" thing.
2009-09-27, 10:36 PM #23
Originally posted by kyle90:
Real men use mercury as thermal paste

Edit: my bad, wikipedia informs me that mercury is actually a poor thermal conductor

There are actually very few practical uses for mercury, as I have discovered, much to my dismay. I've got 4lbs of the stuff in a jar on my desk, just collecting dust.
2009-09-27, 10:42 PM #24
Originally posted by Steven:
There are actually very few practical uses for mercury, as I have discovered, much to my dismay. I've got 4lbs of the stuff in a jar on my desk, just collecting dust.

Make thermometers?
woot!
2009-09-27, 10:43 PM #25
Where are you getting 3c difference?

I meant between Freeze and Artic Silver.

Oh, and:

" You will notice the qualities of Arctic Silver 5 as soon as you pick up the tube. I was surprised by how heavy the 3.5gram tube was, and this can only be a result of the high density of Arctic Silver 5."

I told you these people were retarded.

Most benchmarks don't give the stock pad time to properly phase change and settle. Also, much older pads were not phase change materials and performed terribly. A lot of people still seem to reference these comparisons.

My concern is less with the choice of product and more with the perpetuation of bull**** by the tweaking community.

Stock materials don't perform as well, but they last much longer. When I can find a comparison that doesn't suck, I'll post it. This paper from AMD talks about longevity.
2009-09-27, 10:45 PM #26
" You will notice the qualities of Arctic Silver 5 as soon as you pick up the tube. I was surprised by how heavy the 3.5gram tube was, and this can only be a result of the high density of Arctic Silver 5."

If you're not going to find a review saying that OCZ Freeze / AS5 / AS MX-2 / etc is no better than factory paste, stfu! :mad:
woot!
2009-09-27, 10:55 PM #27

Most benchmarks don't give the stock pad time to properly phase change and settle. Also, much older pads were not phase change materials and performed terribly. A lot of people still seem to reference these comparisons.

My concern is less with the choice of product and more with the perpetuation of bull**** by the tweaking community.

If I recall right OCZ freeze doesn't have/require a curing time
一个大西瓜
2009-09-27, 10:56 PM #28
If I recall right OCZ freeze doesn't have/require a curing time

This is true.
woot!
2009-09-28, 6:39 AM #29
My E8500 is overclocked from 3.12ghz to 4.ghz. It's running on stock thermal padding. I get about 58C under load. Buying special paste isn't needed.
2009-09-28, 7:06 AM #30
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
My E8500 is overclocked from 3.12ghz to 4.ghz. It's running on stock thermal padding. I get about 58C under load. Buying special paste isn't needed.

You're not supposed to re-use that stuff, are you? I'm on my second processor with this cooler.
woot!
2009-09-28, 7:10 AM #31
This is the perfect thread for what I need.

I need some thermal paste, but I need industrial strength paste that won't melt. It needs to withstand ~300F+ temps, and not be messy. Anyone?

edit: I should mention that most paste seems to have 'long term' limits of ~130C, which is too low for my machine (not a PC application BTW). The machine typically runs 125-145C
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-09-28, 7:41 AM #32
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124190&Tpk=Wrt54gl

For $40!
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2009-09-28, 7:44 AM #33

Nice! I see $58.99...coupon? Or expired deal?
woot!
2009-09-28, 7:47 AM #34
I don't buy stuff from Newegg, because I can usually find stuff cheaper from places that don't charge me sales tax.
2009-09-28, 7:52 AM #35
My last one was from newegg mall for leaf bags that look like jack-o-lanterns. (My son was sitting with me when I came across a "deal" for them on consumerist.) Before that, I bought a wireless n router (rosewill), a ps3 remote, a usb hub, etc. I would say I order a couple things a month from them.
2009-09-28, 7:53 AM #36
Originally posted by Darth:
I don't buy stuff from Newegg, because I can usually find stuff cheaper from places that don't charge me sales tax.

Sales tax sucks, unfortunately amazon.com, apple, etc., all have operations in WA so I have to pay sales tax if I buy through them. Newegg doesn't charge me sales tax and rarely charges for shipping.
2009-09-28, 7:58 AM #37
Originally posted by Brian:
Sales tax sucks, unfortunately amazon.com, apple, etc., all have operations in WA so I have to pay sales tax if I buy through them. Newegg doesn't charge me sales tax and rarely charges for shipping.

Newegg's warehouse in Memphis kinda screws me. I get most things from Amazon when I can, since I get no sales tax and free 2-day shipping (I use them enough that Amazon Prime was well worth it to me).
2009-09-28, 8:11 AM #38
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

My new power supply. Which by the way, I didn't have to hold in place to screw it in. It sat in perfectly.
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2009-09-28, 8:24 AM #39
Newegg don't ship internationally, but the last PC-related purchase was a Logitech G15 keyboard to replace one I spilled Coke all over... :(

Artic Silver is good, but the whole drying out over time is a pain.
2009-09-28, 8:30 AM #40
Nice! I see $58.99...coupon? Or expired deal?

Expired Deal. It's been slowly increasing in price ever since I bought it. Saw the deal on Gizmodo.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor

↑ Up to the top!