Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Post your last Newegg purchase!
Post your last Newegg purchase!
2009-09-28, 9:19 AM #41
Originally posted by KOP_AoEJedi:
I need some thermal paste, but I need industrial strength paste that won't melt. It needs to withstand ~300F+ temps, and not be messy. Anyone?

edit: I should mention that most paste seems to have 'long term' limits of ~130C, which is too low for my machine (not a PC application BTW). The machine typically runs 125-145C

Take a look at the standard white thermal paste. It's a silicon dioxide/zinc dioxide compound as I recall. If conductivity isn't an issue, look at the phase changing metal pads I linked to above.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-09-28, 10:48 AM #42
Conductivity would be a huge problem. The paste that came with the machine apparently doesn't exist anymore (thanks a lot HP), so I'm trying to hunt down something more useful than the thermaltake crap we're using now. It melts all over the place.

Everything I seem to find is either too runny/watery/oily, has a low heat range, or is too conductive.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-09-28, 11:21 AM #43
Does it have to be a paste? What about the little silicone-ish pads they use on ICs? How well does it have to conduct heat?
2009-09-28, 11:24 AM #44
I think the last thing I bought from newegg was a Lite-on DVDrw for like $20, almost a year ago.. still works too, amazing
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2009-09-28, 11:26 AM #45
It needs to be a paste, it has to be layered between three plastic membranes that is between the hot (rotating) surface, and the temp sensor. It needs to transfer well enough for the sensor to read accurately.
2009-09-28, 11:38 AM #46
Silicone based thermal paste? :confused:
2009-09-28, 11:52 AM #47
Hmmm, well I searched for that, then plugged in some other junk and managed to find this stuff:

http://www.aosco.com/msds/54011.pdf

Looks like it might be right up my alley. Still has room for higher temps if I need it for another substrate, but also works in the range I'm currently at. Thanks Emon!

↑ Up to the top!