Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Evolution question..
Evolution question..
2009-10-04, 3:19 PM #1
I was just thinking the other day about evolution, when a question popped into my mind. Do we (humans) share a common ancestor with every creature that has similar sexual organs as humans do? I mean hey, there a lot of species that their genitals resemble ours.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2009-10-04, 3:28 PM #2
That question keeps me up at night...
2009-10-04, 3:29 PM #3
We share a common ancestor with every single creature, period.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2009-10-04, 3:36 PM #4
Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
We share a common ancestor with every single creature, period.

But some creatures have totally different genitals and other organs... such as birds.
2009-10-04, 3:37 PM #5
No. They all look alike because God made them that way. Genitals of that form are pleasing to His eyes.
Why do the heathens rage behind the firehouse?
2009-10-04, 3:39 PM #6
Originally posted by TheCarpKing:
No. They all look alike because God made them that way. Genitals of that form are pleasing to His eyes.

He's such a pervert, He made flowers that look like female genitalia and a 1001 phallic objects.
2009-10-04, 4:20 PM #7
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
I was just thinking the other day about evolution, when a question popped into my mind. Do we (humans) share a common ancestor with every creature that has similar sexual organs as humans do? I mean hey, there a lot of species that their genitals resemble ours.

Flawed question, as the entire evolutionary tree should go back to the first single-celled organism.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2009-10-04, 5:06 PM #8
Originally posted by Darkjedibob:
Flawed question, as the entire evolutionary tree should go back to the first single-celled organism.

And how did this single celled organism branch off into a virtually limitless variation, while still conserving similar aspects to one another such as genitalia? :cool:
2009-10-04, 5:08 PM #9
What are you talking about? There are millions of organisms that look nothing like us. You seem to be assuming that the first single celled organism had genitalia, which makes no sense. :downs:

Take a biology class and pull your head out of your ***.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-10-04, 5:16 PM #10
Originally posted by Emon:
What are you talking about? There are millions of organisms that look nothing like us. You seem to be assuming that the first single celled organism had genitalia, which makes no sense. :downs:

Take a biology class and pull your head out of your ***.

I never assumed that. You did. I am just asking how did one cell become all of what is now?
2009-10-04, 5:24 PM #11
Got there via evolution. Dur. Why are you so focused on genitalia?
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2009-10-04, 5:25 PM #12
Originally posted by Darkjedibob:
Got there via evolution. Dur. Why are you so focused on genitalia?

Nah it was just to provoke an out cry on the forums, apparently it wasn't as strong as I had hoped.
Ok yes it was via evolution. But what is the process? I mean explain to me HOW evolution did it.
2009-10-04, 5:26 PM #13
Your limited knowledge of the natural world could never begin to approach my limitless ignorance of it. :cool:

:master::master::master:
2009-10-04, 5:27 PM #14
Nah it was just to provoke an out cry on the forums, apparently it wasn't as strong as I had hoped.
Ok yes it was via evolution. But what is the process? I mean explain to me HOW evolution did it.

Natural selection.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
2009-10-04, 5:29 PM #15
Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
Natural selection.

How does a single cell organism form a more complicated multi cell organism, that is capable or reproducing and forming even more complicated multi cell organisms, without any previous genetic structure? How do environmental factors influence a single cell organism to form a complicated multi cell organism?
2009-10-04, 5:34 PM #16
What if there was a chance that say... two different single cell organisms developed on their own, and evolved through the ages... Maybe there's two trees of ancestry! GO TEAM ONE!
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-10-04, 5:48 PM #17
Originally posted by KOP_AoEJedi:
What if there was a chance that say... two different single cell organisms developed on their own, and evolved through the ages... Maybe there's two trees of ancestry! GO TEAM ONE!

Aye I was thinking that. Or more like hundreds of millions of different developed on their own (in which case there is a rare chance of common ancestry with other species).

The question is, how did these single cell organisms come to be? What formed them?

And how can they develop into immensely complex organisms such as a bird, if they started out as a simple single cell organism?

If all life came from water, I wonder how a tree evolved, from being a sub-aquatic plant to a land lover. Did trees have legs at one point?
2009-10-04, 6:04 PM #18
Aye I was thinking that. Or more like hundreds of millions of different developed on their own (in which case there is a rare chance of common ancestry with other species).

The question is, how did these single cell organisms come to be? What formed them?

And how can they develop into immensely complex organisms such as a bird, if they started out as a simple single cell organism?

If all life came from water, I wonder how a tree evolved, from being a sub-aquatic plant to a land lover. Did trees have legs at one point?

why dont you actually study evolution rather than askin a forum to explain it?

btw you dont realize how retarded you sound... so retarded that i actually bothered to log in to inform you so. :downs::suicide:
2009-10-04, 6:10 PM #19

God.
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2009-10-04, 6:45 PM #20
Originally posted by eMp:
why dont you actually study evolution rather than askin a forum to explain it?

Because he'd rather troll here than make a serious attempt to learn the material. If I had to guess why, it's because he fears it might uproot his beliefs or something. :downswords:
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-10-04, 6:46 PM #21
:carl:
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-10-04, 6:51 PM #22
Originally posted by eMp:
btw you dont realize how retarded you sound... so retarded that i actually bothered to log in to inform you so. :downs::suicide:

Now THAT is impressive, this is from a guy who has made his account in 2004, and since then only gotten into the 50s for his post count. So a rough average of 10 posts per year, less than one post per month.

It's almost like how silent bob says one thing every other movie, and the one thing is just to point out how retarded Gold is.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2009-10-04, 6:53 PM #23
Also how did sqirrls get onto islands?
Stuff
2009-10-04, 7:36 PM #24
Originally posted by Emon:
Because he'd rather troll here than make a serious attempt to learn the material. If I had to guess why, it's because he fears it might uproot his beliefs or something. :downswords:
SF_GoldG_01 asks this question perennially. He's waiting until there's nobody left to challenge his beliefs. We've been waiting about three years for him to refute a rather long post about using chromosome fusion, fission and mirroring as a way of tracking common ancestry.

Personally I think he should be banned for bringing up the subject again without providing us with his magnum opus on the subject.
2009-10-04, 7:42 PM #25
We all know what really happened was aliens... hurr
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-10-04, 7:50 PM #26
Our common ancestor was a bucky ball.
2009-10-04, 8:17 PM #27
I don't know about you, but I know that 75 million years ago Xenu brought me to Earth on some pretense and now I'm stuck here until Tom Cruise can save us all. :tinfoil:
2009-10-04, 8:59 PM #28
and let john travolta fly us away!

2009-10-04, 10:26 PM #29
Gold... to my knowledge no one one here is an evolutionary biologist. asking them to single handedly prove the mechanics and process of evolution is pointless. evolution does offer the best explanation as of yet for how life, once begun, developed on earth. if you have some serious questions i am sure you can find someone here willing to engage you in a meaningful discussion, but just throwing out "HAH gotcha!" arguments will get you nowhere.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2009-10-04, 10:27 PM #30
Originally posted by kyle90:
Also how did sqirrls get onto islands?

hehe, i was wondering how long that would take.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2009-10-04, 10:58 PM #31
They flew duh
一个大西瓜
2009-10-04, 11:01 PM #32
Originally posted by Darth_Alran:
Gold... to my knowledge no one one here is an evolutionary biologist.

It does not require an evolutionary biologist to explain the basic tenets of evolution.
:master::master::master:
2009-10-04, 11:05 PM #33
Originally posted by Deadman:
Now THAT is impressive, this is from a guy who has made his account in 2004, and since then only gotten into the 50s for his post count. So a rough average of 10 posts per year, less than one post per month.

Not really, he used to post here often, but under another name. He thought he was a "thug" and used to post in some sort of unintelligible lower class suburban language that added "izzles" to common words. Everyone hated him so he registered a new name, but we still hated him so he resorted to lurking because he secretly still loves us.
2009-10-05, 2:05 AM #34
Quote:
How does a single cell organism form a more complicated multi cell organism, that is capable or reproducing and forming even more complicated multi cell organisms, without any previous genetic structure? How do environmental factors influence a single cell organism to form a complicated multi cell organism?
You won't get an answer to these questions because no one knows. As much as evolutionists try to get around it, the theory is highly illogical at best, and outright impossible at worst. Environmental factors have been proven to be a cause of species adaptation (famous example of generations of moths developing different colors over time depending on their surroundings). But since it's inception, no one has ever been able to prove that a less complex species ever become a more complex, different species, nor can anyone explain how such a thing is possible, except to say "it must be possible, because that's what happened."
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2009-10-05, 2:16 AM #35
[http://neatorama.cachefly.net/images/2007-04/argentine-lake-duck.jpg]

yes thats a 16 inch penis.
2009-10-05, 2:53 AM #36
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
You won't get an answer to these questions because no one knows. As much as evolutionists try to get around it, the theory is highly illogical at best, and outright impossible at worst. Environmental factors have been proven to be a cause of species adaptation (famous example of generations of moths developing different colors over time depending on their surroundings). But since it's inception, no one has ever been able to prove that a less complex species ever become a more complex, different species, nor can anyone explain how such a thing is possible, except to say "it must be possible, because that's what happened."

oh for ****'s sake. This sort of **** is getting old. We've covered this **** so many times, answered that exact question so many times, this supposed 'evolution skepticism' is sounding just like holocaust denial. "it probably happened, but on a much smaller scale to what everyone thinks!"
2009-10-05, 3:14 AM #37
Nice deflection.

I've been visiting these forums since 2000, and have read/participated in the majority of discussions on the topic, and cannot ever recall anyone answering those questions specifically, though they've been presented. There's been plenty of evidence presented to argue whether or not it did happen, but whenever the question of how such a thing could be possible comes up, it's almost always ignored (as was the case in this thread until I brought it up again by quoting it).
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2009-10-05, 4:00 AM #38

Gold there are many species that currently do this. The Portuguese man o' war is a famous example (although its constituent animals are multi-cellular). Slime moulds are formed by aggregations of single-celled protists. They start off as amoeba eating bacteria but under certain circumstances and depending on the species they release chemical signals that cause them to aggregate. Sometimes this is for increased motility when food is scarce, allowing the group to travel further and scour a larger area for bacteria and debris. Sometimes to form structures from which to release spores (amazingly during which some individuals in some species sacrifice themselves in the process). If you want to know more about how that happens, please go ahead and read up on their biology.

Sarn, DNA replication at conception (or during mitosis for that matter) is not perfect. Mutation takes place and that can include translation, reversal, deletion, insertion, duplication and overwriting of parts of your DNA. This may increase the "information" in your DNA if that's what you're after. It's not really that simple though; a deletion of part of the DNA can confer a benefit, in human beings the deletion of a gene known as CCR5 results in partial immunity to smallpox and HIV. Equally some additions can be harmful.
Sometimes features used for one purpose become modified for another. The rotary flagellum of bacteria is similar in structure to a simpler structure from bacteria used for the insertion of toxins into prey cells. This is one of those examples that the intelligent design guys called "irreducably complex". What it now looks like is that they were either not imaginative enough or were unwilling to do the research to see if anything similar existed.
2009-10-05, 4:01 AM #39
When people tell me, "Did you know that evolution is just a theory, and nothing more?" I usually reply with, "Yeah, but so is gravity."
幻術
2009-10-05, 4:03 AM #40
Originally posted by Steven:
Not really, he used to post here often, but under another name. He thought he was a "thug" and used to post in some sort of unintelligible lower class suburban language that added "izzles" to common words. Everyone hated him so he registered a new name, but we still hated him so he resorted to lurking because he secretly still loves us.

haha, bull****. find a post where i added "izzles" to words and i'll leave this place forever... oh wait you can't because you're full of ****!

also, i never posted here often either... i just used to get into debates because people hated that i left off the letter g whenever i typed stuff with an -ing suffix. they thought that i was a "thug" because of the way i typed, just like i think you're an "***" cuz you think you're better than everyone.

haha but the sad thing is, you're not. this "thug" is not only currently goin to medical school but is the president of his class, which is why i don't post often and just like to read what people write. you don't know me so don't judge me dude, and i won't make any judgments about you and your wack haircuts that only your ugly wife could love!:downswords:

i think the only thing you got right in your post is the fact that i do like this place...... otherwise i wouldn't be lurking...? :rolleyes:

↑ Up to the top!