Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Ford GT40
Ford GT40
2009-10-06, 9:22 AM #1
I believe I have found one of these cars, that has either been abandoned, or forgotten. For as long as I can remember (I've lived here since I was a kid.) there has always been this 'mystery' car parked behind this old bank in town. It was covered up for years, but never looked touched. I always wondered what it was, but recently someone took the cover off. It's a very dull blue color, and looks to me like a Ford GT40. Which would be pretty remarkable in of itself. Make's me wonder if anyone owns it, why they would abandon it to father time's ravages. I'm 100% sure this car has not moved in at least 5-10 years. Seems like such a waste.

I intend to investigate the matter, I know there are some gearheads around, thought I'd bring this up for discussion in case anyone is interested in updates.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-10-06, 9:38 AM #2
I'd recommend you keep this information to yourself. First thing, attempt to determine what the car is - quietly. If it really is a GT40, you don't want very many people to know about it - including the owner. If possible, closely inspect the tail light covers. On older cars, they are printed with the year of manufacture so you can get a pretty close idea of the age of the vehicle. If you can, try to find out if it's a real GT40, or a fake clone car. Again, keep it quiet.

Once you know for sure what it is, quickly and as quietly as possible try to find out who owns it (probably start with the bank manager or someone nearby who's been around forever). If you can find the owner, very quietly and subtly try to determine if he knows what he's got. This might be tricky.

If you're lucky, he'll be ignorant of the value of the vehicle, and you might be able to offer him $1500 for a car worth a $100,000 after a bit of work to it. If he knows what he's got, good luck getting it inexpensively, though if the condition is bad he might sell it for cheap. It would make a great project car.

The key is to try to get as much info about the car, without seeming too interested, and without letting anyone else know that there's potentially $100,000 worth of car back there.
2009-10-06, 9:57 AM #3
I just drove over there for lunch. It 'could' be a clone car since I don't know what to look for, but I'm almost positive its a GT40. I'm going to try to take some photos later this week, and I'm looking now for photos of what may be the actual model. Update soon.

Also, the condition is so-so. The body looks good, paint isnt likely factory, nor is it in good condition. The windows have been left down, so it has been rained in plenty. Which likely means worthless everything inside.
2009-10-06, 10:12 AM #4
It looks almost the same (in terms of body features) as this one, with the exception of the one I found has a wonky bumper sticking out of the front. It almost looks like it may have been added on in order to make it street legal somewhere/sometime?

Here's the reference car: http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-cars-sale/28955-1965-kva-ford-gt40-sale.html (yellow one)
2009-10-06, 11:29 AM #5
Can you take a picture of it
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2009-10-06, 12:36 PM #6
I'm going to try to tomorrow. I only have my cell with me now. 2mp fail.
2009-10-07, 9:08 AM #7
Forgot my fudgin camera today. I'll try to get some shots of it with the cell at least if it's not still storming.
2009-10-07, 9:36 AM #8
hoax
2009-10-07, 9:39 AM #9
The reason it's been abandoned out there for so long is probably because it's HAUNTED!
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2009-10-07, 10:28 AM #10
Originally posted by Lord_Grismath:
The reason it's been abandoned out there for so long is probably because it's HAUNTED!

That only increases its value!! lol
2009-10-07, 11:31 AM #11
Originally posted by KOP_AoEJedi:
Forgot my fudgin camera today. I'll try to get some shots of it with the cell at least if it's not still storming.

what a cocktease
2009-10-07, 11:43 AM #12
I know... .( Many apologies. I read up on the GT40 models and such yesterday though, so I should have a good idea if this thing is real or not when I go take another look.
2009-10-07, 11:45 AM #13
If it's the same car I'm thinking about, back behind the old bank, forget about it. It's a botched kit car with a blown VW engine.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2009-10-07, 12:04 PM #14
Originally posted by Wookie06:
If it's the same car I'm thinking about, back behind the old bank, forget about it. It's a botched kit car with a blown VW engine.

What? Explain.
2009-10-07, 12:05 PM #15

This is what I've wanted to say but was going to wait til the pictures to tear him a new one.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2009-10-07, 12:09 PM #16
Haha well it very well could be, but I haven't gotten a solid look at the thing except for driving by! It was just odd the way he phrased that, like he knew what car I was talking about heh.
2009-10-07, 12:09 PM #17

This sounds like the most plausible explanation. It is unlikely that someone would allow an expensive, classic car to get ruined by time. A cheap VW with a bad body kit and a broken engine makes sense.

Are you all from the same town?
2009-10-07, 12:13 PM #18
I doubt ANYONE from here is in my rinky-dink town. The ONLY reason I would even consider a car being like this, in this town, is because there is a lot of old money here. Wolf Brand Chili started here, The Collins Street Bakery is here, and numerous other old oil and chemical tycoons from the era still have money here. So a high dollar car left rotting by a really old bank wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. Especially since most of the people here who have money, or whos family has money, are wasteful turds with no sense.
2009-10-07, 12:19 PM #19
Where are the pics man? Don't post again unless there are pics
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2009-10-07, 4:52 PM #20
Originally posted by KOP_AoEJedi:
I doubt ANYONE from here is in my rinky-dink town. The ONLY reason I would even consider a car being like this, in this town, is because there is a lot of old money here. Wolf Brand Chili started here, The Collins Street Bakery is here, and numerous other old oil and chemical tycoons from the era still have money here. So a high dollar car left rotting by a really old bank wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. Especially since most of the people here who have money, or whos family has money, are wasteful turds with no sense.

the rich dont get rich because they're wasteful.
2009-10-07, 5:10 PM #21
Originally posted by drizzt2k2:
Where are the pics man? Don't post again unless there are pics

This.
woot!
2009-10-07, 6:41 PM #22
he probably wont come back with pics after being disappointed.
2009-10-07, 8:43 PM #23
Originally posted by ragna:
the rich dont get rich because they're wasteful.

inheritance
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-10-08, 12:53 PM #24
Pics or GTFO
"Staring into the wall does NOT count as benchmarking."

-Emon
2009-10-09, 6:52 AM #25
I'm no expert, but very few of them ended up on the road, and a lot of bad things were done to various cars in the 80s, including building bodgey kit-cars.
2009-10-09, 8:04 AM #26
Gristradamus say: "He will post some blurry cell pics of what could be a GT40 in awful shape. He only needs $500 more to purchase the car and restore it tor former glory. He can pay it back with 20% interest when he restores and sells the car. Gullible Massassian(s) will loan the money and then AoE_Jedi and DJ_Yoshi will go on a cross country "Fear and Loathing" type, drug-addled road trip to Mexico." :D
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2009-10-09, 3:08 PM #27
Originally posted by lightside:
Pics or GTFO
2009-10-09, 4:18 PM #28
The Ford GT, tribute to the GT40, Ford put out in 04-05 was the car that got me into cars.
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2009-10-10, 8:23 AM #29
Originally posted by Emon:
inheritance

In the US, actually, most rich are first generation rich.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2009-10-13, 2:33 PM #30
so wtf man. someone should ban KOPOUT_AoEJedi if he doesnt take pics of the kit car he thought was a GT40
2009-10-13, 3:13 PM #31
PICS
PICS
PICS
PICS

Also I saw a black Ford GT on the road last summer. *drool*
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2009-10-13, 4:07 PM #32
Originally posted by lightside:
Pics or GTFO

More like GT-FO, amirite?
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2009-10-13, 4:10 PM #33
Originally posted by mb:
PICS
PICS
PICS
PICS

Also I saw a black Ford GT on the road last summer. *drool*

I saw one too..but it was red, I think. :ninja:
woot!
2009-10-13, 4:23 PM #34
Pics.
2009-10-13, 4:36 PM #35
Originally posted by JLee:
I saw one too..but it was red, I think. :ninja:

Like this? :ninja:
2009-10-13, 8:58 PM #36
[http://www.supercars.net/carpics/691/1968_Ford_GT40Mk1Gulf2.jpg]
Post GT40s ITT untill KOP posts.
2009-10-14, 12:03 AM #37
I know nothing about cars, but someone is trying to sell me an Intrepid 96 for 1150 dollars. Good deal or not? Oh and today I had my first car accident. Ironic.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2009-10-14, 5:54 AM #38
thats not ironic
2009-10-14, 6:31 AM #39
YOURE NOT IRONIC.
nope.
2009-10-14, 6:57 AM #40
Originally posted by mb:

omgyes I think so! :eek:
woot!

↑ Up to the top!