Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → America you cheaters!
America you cheaters!
2009-10-12, 4:10 AM #1
So I was playin fifa 09 last night, in the early hours, and of course I then get to play you yanks at my own game - football.

But here's what really annoyed me; I played six games last night, and after winning every one my American opponent quit just before the finishing screen where the result is processed, so technically I haven't won anything.

:colbert:

Also, the last match I played my opponent chose America. So I picked England, thinking "ok whatever happens in this match represents yanks in general." Hard fought game, I won after etxra time in the 120th minute - bloody quit didn't he.

AHHH!

Hate you all, sore losers :(
Magrucko Daines and the Crypt of Crola (2007)
Magrucko Daines and the Dark Youth (2010)
Magrucko Daines and the Vertical City (2016)
2009-10-12, 6:05 AM #2
Yeah, well, you all drink gravy and pour tea on everything, and you use way to many Us.

Generalization aint so fun suddenly, is it?
2009-10-12, 6:46 AM #3
You mean generalisation :v:
2009-10-12, 7:00 AM #4
They are sore losers, aren't they?

:P
2009-10-12, 7:05 AM #5
[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/garosaon/emot-birger.gif]
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2009-10-12, 7:52 AM #6
Originally posted by Goit:
So I was playin fifa 09 last night, in the early hours, and of course I then get to play you yanks at my own game - football.

But here's what really annoyed me; I played six games last night, and after winning every one my American opponent quit just before the finishing screen where the result is processed, so technically I haven't won anything.

:colbert:

Also, the last match I played my opponent chose America. So I picked England, thinking "ok whatever happens in this match represents yanks in general." Hard fought game, I won after etxra time in the 120th minute - bloody quit didn't he.

AHHH!

Hate you all, sore losers :(

Blame the game, it would be trivial for the game to record his loss even if he turns off the console, and your win by default.

2009-10-12, 8:03 AM #7
Yeah, I'm gonna go with bad game design (and yanks are sore losers)
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2009-10-12, 8:39 AM #8
video games

rage
2009-10-12, 8:42 AM #9
Originally posted by The Mega-ZZTer:
Blame the game, it would be trivial for the game to record his loss even if he turns off the console, and your win by default.

Funny, in SFIV there's tons of ragequitting and there's also a lot of talk about how "difficult" it is to figure out which of the two peers disconnected without introducing a third party/server which also leads to badness I don't understand.

Needless to say I stay away from all talk to do with netcode - I don't have the smarts :omg:
2009-10-12, 9:06 AM #10
Originally posted by Martyn:

Needless to say I stay away from all talk to do with netcode - I don't have the smarts :omg:

Excuse me sir I do believe you were the one who introduced netcode into this thread :argh:
2009-10-12, 9:26 AM #11
It's actually not that hard, especially if the game connections are managed over a service like XBoxLive.

If you're the guy who disconnects on live, there's only three ways to do : Quit out of the game. Fine, the game detects this.
Disconnect the xbox from the internet : Fine, the game detects this.
Turn off the machine : Fine, the game recorded the match as a loss when you started - and waits until the end to change it to the real result.

You can assume that if the connection was fine for the entire match, and then suddenly fails in the last moments, it's not an innocent disconnect.

This would work for other services just fine - but it does need that third party to detect certain kinds of disconnects. Live/Steam/PSN, something.
2009-10-12, 9:49 AM #12
Do you remember the days when "ragequit" wasn't in a gamer's lexicon?
:master::master::master:
2009-10-12, 9:58 AM #13
This is why I stopped playing that UFC game online. The netcode was pretty poor to begin with, but it was so frequent for people to quit as soon as they lost a match, so it wouldn't recognise as a loss for them (or win for me), that I just gave up.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2009-10-12, 10:01 AM #14
Couldn't you do that in StarCraft? I think I did it all the time.
2009-10-12, 11:21 AM #15
Originally posted by Squirrel King:

I ****ing hate you.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
2009-10-12, 11:26 AM #16
Originally posted by Squirrel King:

It counts as a disconnect on your record. And to any clan with half a brain, seeing 2000 disconnects and only 5 losses would say something about you.
2009-10-12, 11:32 AM #17
Disconnecting mid-game in NHL 09 and now NHL 10 on the Xbox 360 (and probably the PS3 as well) counts as a 3-0 loss. No problems, and the current FIFAs and NHLs are also far superior on the 360/PS3 than the PC (different developers)...
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2009-10-12, 11:36 AM #18
I play this game Race Pro on 360. Most players are in the UK... Most of them can't drive, and if they crash on the first turn, first lap they always quit the game. Again, most of the time all they do is ***** at the people who are faster than them.

(Here's a hint, actually it doesn't matter where they are from this happens anyway..)
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2009-10-12, 1:31 PM #19
Canada.
2009-10-12, 1:33 PM #20
I used to have super-crappy internet at my old house, so I got a bad gamer rating in Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory on XBox Live because I got disconnected a bunch of times. It counts as a loss. Same thing with Gears of War's ranked games.
2009-10-12, 4:01 PM #21
I've never really come across the stupid ragequitting thing that much on console games.

Then again maybe I don't notice because I don't give a flying one about the ranking stuff. :P
nope.
2009-10-12, 5:16 PM #22
Originally posted by Baconfish:
I've never really come across the stupid ragequitting thing that much on console games.

Then again maybe I don't notice because I don't give a flying one about the ranking stuff. :P

It's incredibly annoying when player matching is based on that rank and you can't get a higher rank because of the other guy quitting, and so you're constantly matched with low-ranking people that are new to the game and you pwn them (just because you've been playing longer) - and then they're more likely to get annoyed and quit early. It's no fun for either player, you don't want to play a quitter and a newbie doesn't want to get pwned by a misranked player.
It's not the case with every match, but enough of them for it to be frustrating. The only 1v1 public online game I've never had any problems with is Peggle.
2009-10-12, 5:25 PM #23
When I play Left 4 Dead online, it's nothing BUT ragequits.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-10-12, 5:27 PM #24
Could also be because it's a terrible game :smug:
Anyway, I make it a point to never ragequit even if im playing terribly, Fighting to the last SCV pisses some people off even more then ragequitting it seems.
Guerilla wars in RTS are always funtimes.
2009-10-12, 5:43 PM #25
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
Could also be because it's a terrible game :smug:

wrong
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2009-10-12, 6:37 PM #26
Dead or Alive 4 had that problem, until they patched it to award a win to whomever has the most health left when it disconnects. Used to be, you'd see people ranked SS, and fight one, and you could always tell when they were a douche because they'd SUCK... and then, bam! Quit.
2009-10-12, 8:18 PM #27
Originally posted by zanardi:
(Here's a hint, actually it doesn't matter where they are from this happens anyway..)

This. It's very common among Europeans as well.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2009-10-12, 8:22 PM #28
Originally posted by zanardi:

I am saddened that you actually thought you had to point that out :suicide:
2009-10-12, 8:39 PM #29
Originally posted by Martyn:
Funny, in SFIV there's tons of ragequitting and there's also a lot of talk about how "difficult" it is to figure out which of the two peers disconnected without introducing a third party/server which also leads to badness I don't understand.

Consoles have to talk to some central server for matchmaking/statistics. So the server can be notified when you're starting a game and can note it. Once the game ends, the server is notified and it notes that, too.

If a player notifies twice in a row a game has started without notifying the old game is finished, BAM, the server can chalk up a disconnect "point", which is visible in their profile. Obviously if someone only has a few you can infer they just had sucky internet or a bad day. If they have many you know to watch out.

You could even take it a step further and record a loss for each player when the game starts, and when the game ends you remove a loss and award a win to the winner (or to whoever didn't disconnect).

There's obviously cheating concerns but no more than if you normally trust the players to report reliably on wins and losses anyhow.

2009-10-12, 8:43 PM #30
Originally posted by JM:
Dead or Alive 4 had that problem, until they patched it to award a win to whomever has the most health left when it disconnects. Used to be, you'd see people ranked SS, and fight one, and you could always tell when they were a douche because they'd SUCK... and then, bam! Quit.

That's a bad idea, I can see that getting abused. Cheater practices this easy but hard to stop initial attack, hits the other player first in the beginning of the round, and disconnects. Instant win.
2009-10-12, 8:45 PM #31
Originally posted by Krokodile:
This. It's very common among Europeans as well.

Good thing about video games of soccer/football is that it takes place in a virtual word where "ragequitting" does no real damage. I heard that "ragequitting" in real life over in Europe after a game can often involve angry mobs and mass property damage. :v:
2009-10-12, 9:23 PM #32
It'd be so cool if when someone ragequit there was a cinematic of riots and stuff.
2009-10-12, 11:20 PM #33
On SFIV and HDR when I get a ragequitter I just send them a message saying "I'm Super Fabulous!"

lulz.
2009-10-13, 1:40 AM #34
achievements are to blame, specifically ones that challenge you to get consecutive wins.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2009-10-13, 5:08 AM #35
Achievements are dumb anyway, it's like people need to be told how to play a game. :/

Plus yknow, they're basically unlocks only you don't actually get anything from earning them.
nope.
2009-10-13, 5:13 AM #36
You'd think by now they'd have come up with some sort of reward scheme for achievement points, even if it's something as useless as exclusive avatar accessories.
Flickr Twitter
2009-10-13, 5:37 AM #37
Aye. There were some for Gears iirc. Avatars and that.
2009-10-13, 6:46 AM #38
I miss the days when you could enter cheat codes to really let you play around with the game. Even if many of them were just left-over debug tools, why did they have to disappear when achievements became popular. You can't do anything with achievements. :(

Originally posted by Detty:
You'd think by now they'd have come up with some sort of reward scheme for achievement points, even if it's something as useless as exclusive avatar accessories.

Rewards come in the form of downloadable content these days. Want extra costume? Achieve this price with funds!
2009-10-13, 7:00 AM #39
I hadn't thought of that. You don't get cheats anymore? :(
nope.
2009-10-13, 7:01 AM #40
you do still get cheat codes in some games (but normally activating them prevents you earning achievements on that save file)
Flickr Twitter

↑ Up to the top!