Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Google Building Maker
Google Building Maker
2009-10-13, 2:17 PM #1

Oooh, this looks fun. Time to play!
2009-10-13, 2:20 PM #2
Cool.
2009-10-13, 2:24 PM #3
That's actually extremely awesome. Reminds me of our Massassi City project, except with the entire world as a community. :neckbeard:
DO NOT WANT.
2009-10-13, 3:14 PM #4
That is actually really really fricken awesome.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-10-13, 3:16 PM #5
It's intern work :colbert: NOT DOING IT UNLESS I GET PAID *****ES
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2009-10-13, 3:35 PM #6
I love that they're using play as work. If only Digging had real extended value.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-10-13, 4:00 PM #7
Has anyone tried it yet?
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2009-10-13, 4:18 PM #8
They need to let us do all the roads too. Eventually we'll have a 3d model of the entire planet.
2009-10-13, 4:46 PM #9
Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
Has anyone tried it yet?

Yeah. It's kinda fun, but it can be wonky. There's no way to do some oddly shaped architecture, but more importantly, buildings that have non-rectangular walls can be a real pain.
2009-10-13, 5:18 PM #10
There is a way to do oddly shaped things : You can ad triangular prisms.
2009-10-13, 5:29 PM #11
Originally posted by JM:
There is a way to do oddly shaped things : You can ad triangular prisms.

Yes, that's how you do anything non-rectangular, but it still won't let you do everything, namely I was unable to create a cone.
2009-10-13, 6:15 PM #12
Google- Using users in place of actual developers since forever.
And I like it.
2009-10-13, 6:19 PM #13
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
Using users in place of actual developers

more or less the point of the internet
2009-10-13, 6:48 PM #14
Hah, my stomping grounds is already starting to be created by users.

I am noticing it is also being used by property management companies as a means of free advertising. I wonder how long that will fly.
-Martyn
2009-10-13, 6:54 PM #15
Cool Matty - to make a cone, create a bunch of triangular prisms in a radial pattern.
2009-10-13, 7:35 PM #16
Originally posted by JM:
Cool Matty - to make a cone, create a bunch of triangular prisms in a radial pattern.

Didn't work for me, you get a VERY messed up blocky missing-texture hell.
2009-10-13, 7:38 PM #17
Originally posted by Onimusha:
Hah, my stomping grounds is already starting to be created by users.

I am noticing it is also being used by property management companies as a means of free advertising. I wonder how long that will fly.

You mean stamping ground. Not stomping ground.
>>untie shoes
2009-10-13, 7:39 PM #18
I created two buildings in Toronto; it's not yet available where I live though
Stuff
2009-10-13, 9:14 PM #19
Originally posted by Zell:
That's actually extremely awesome. Reminds me of our Massassi City project, except with the entire world as a community. :neckbeard:

What was Massassi City?

Also, would it be possible to create Ben Hill Griffin Stadium?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Hill_Griffin_Stadium
2009-10-13, 9:22 PM #20
Originally posted by Antony:
You mean stamping ground. Not stomping ground.

I also thought it was stomping.
2009-10-13, 9:27 PM #21
It's stomping.

I tried this, made an L shaped building.

2009-10-13, 9:40 PM #22
Incorrect. Stomping ground has become the phrase in common usage, although it is incorrect. The correct idiom is stamping ground.

It's the same as people saying they're "chomping at the bit." It's just plain wrong. It's "champing at the bit." But we're more used to saying stomp or chomp than we are stamp and champ.
>>untie shoes
2009-10-13, 9:55 PM #23
The buildings I wanted to make in Albuquerque were already made. Sadness. :(
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2009-10-13, 10:03 PM #24
Incorrect. Stomping ground has become the phrase in common usage, although it is incorrect. The correct idiom is stamping ground.

It's the same as people saying they're "chomping at the bit." It's just plain wrong. It's "champing at the bit." But we're more used to saying stomp or chomp than we are stamp and champ.

Incorrect. You can't correct someone on something that has changed in our language. Stamping may be the origin, but stomping is widely accepted and recognized, even in dictionaries.

:eng101:
2009-10-13, 10:11 PM #25
Originally posted by Anakin9012:
What was Massassi City?

Also, would it be possible to create Ben Hill Griffin Stadium?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Hill_Griffin_Stadium

A project several years ago whereby every Massassian who participated created a city block on an existing street template and someone stitched them all together into a Massassi City. I made a sweet park with a working clock. :neckbeard:
DO NOT WANT.
2009-10-13, 10:14 PM #26
every time i get anywhere on making a building firefox crashes.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2009-10-13, 10:44 PM #27
A project several years ago whereby every Massassian who participated created a city block on an existing street template and someone stitched them all together into a Massassi City. I made a sweet park with a working clock. :neckbeard:

I could just make a Massassi City in SimCity 3000. It could have a building for storing souls, too.

Although I'd be the only one that could contribute.
2009-10-13, 11:42 PM #28

Lies. Its just Drazen Isle. :XD:
-Martyn
2009-10-14, 12:12 AM #29

I don't remember this. Hmm. Could it be possible to make a JK level that consists of a bunch of city blocks where everyone makes a model of their house, and is stitched together?

Anyhow, I wish the pictures of my city were updated, there have been sooo many new buildings made since the pictures were taken. Malls and such.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2009-10-14, 5:12 AM #30
Quote:
I could just make a Massassi City in SimCity 3000. It could have a building for storing souls, too.
Why would you do that when SimCity 4 is so much better?
2009-10-14, 7:17 AM #31

hurrrrr
2009-10-14, 7:28 AM #32
That is very cool. Reminds me of wikipedia but for maps. Sorta. In a way.
woot!
2009-10-14, 8:18 AM #33
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
I don't remember this. Hmm. Could it be possible to make a JK level that consists of a bunch of city blocks where everyone makes a model of their house, and is stitched together?

That's... exactly what it was. We tried that and failed.
DO NOT WANT.
2009-10-14, 8:36 AM #34
In related news, a building I designed the steelwork for in Birmingham is there!

/goes looking for link ....

Oh, can't upload kmz files :(
2009-10-14, 9:21 AM #35
Originally posted by Vin:
hurrrrr

Double negatives are also phrases in common usage. That doesn't make them correct. Many people also say things like "same difference." Let's just go ahead and make that officially proper to say as well.

"Hey, lots of people say it, so it must be proper!"

You know, more people say "could care less" than "couldn't care less" so that must be correct too since we're going with what the majority of people say instead of what is correct.

And as far as it being in the dictionary, well, 'lol' is in the dictionary for Christ's sake. Or should I say "Christ sakes" since I hear that a lot?
>>untie shoes
2009-10-14, 9:26 AM #36
Hi, my name is Bill, and I don't understand adaptive language.
2009-10-14, 9:37 AM #37
Double negatives are also phrases in common usage. That doesn't make them correct. Many people also say things like "same difference." Let's just go ahead and make that officially proper to say as well.

"Hey, lots of people say it, so it must be proper!"

You know, more people say "could care less" than "couldn't care less" so that must be correct too since we're going with what the majority of people say instead of what is correct.

And as far as it being in the dictionary, well, 'lol' is in the dictionary for Christ's sake. Or should I say "Christ sakes" since I hear that a lot?

sóþlic! þú sleac bist riht! ágenspræc stinge bret.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2009-10-14, 9:43 AM #38
Fair enough, guys. From now on however the majority of people speak will be considered correct.
>>untie shoes
2009-10-14, 10:01 AM #39
That's... exactly what it was. We tried that and failed.

Oh... what's so hard about modeling you're own house?
Nothing to see here, move along.
2009-10-14, 10:51 AM #40
Nothing at all. In fact, Gold, you should model your own neighborhood, doing each house individually, and then import them into one file and stitch them together. It will be awesome.
Warhead[97]

↑ Up to the top!