Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → America is clearly in post-racial times
America is clearly in post-racial times
2009-10-18, 11:44 AM #1
..or maybe not.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8310509.stm

A white US justice of the peace has been criticised for refusing to issue marriage licences to mixed-race couples.

He said he had "piles and piles of black friends" but just did not believe in "mixing the races".

Wow. Been a while since I've seen racism quite that blatant and overt. It's not even subtle.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2009-10-18, 11:47 AM #2
loving v. virginia?

2009-10-18, 11:50 AM #3
That is pretty over the top.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-10-18, 11:53 AM #4
Quote:
However, Mr Bardwell denied mistreating anyone and said if he oversaw one mixed-race marriage, then he would have to continue to do it for everyone.

He said: "I try to treat everyone equally."

MAKES PERFECT SENSE.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-10-18, 11:53 AM #5
Lol, what he's doing is illegal. Watch, this will be straightened out.
2009-10-18, 12:04 PM #6
It was straightened out if I recall. They are now legally married.

A U.S. justice of peace is fairly low in the legal hierarchy (lack of a better word) and has very limited jurisdiction, pretty much handing petty issues. I don't think this is too surprising seeing that this was a guy who has little power, obviously lacks legal knowledge and lives in the south.
2009-10-18, 1:00 PM #7
Piles of black friends [under his lynching tree].
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-10-18, 1:19 PM #8
He keeps them in a closet.
2009-10-18, 1:33 PM #9
At least have to balls to overtly proclaim your racism. Yeah, racism is crap but hiding it by having "piles of black friends" really pisses me off.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2009-10-18, 1:35 PM #10
I wish I had a black friend so I could possibly say one day that I have black friends.

It seems certain unlikable people in the world often claim to have many black friends. So I guess it's not too hard to find some.
2009-10-18, 1:40 PM #11
I live in Canada, the only reason I have no black friends is because I can't find any.
2009-10-18, 1:46 PM #12
Tibby lives in Aryanville.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2009-10-18, 1:53 PM #13
New Germany
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-10-18, 2:00 PM #14
I honestly don't know any black people either.

NO AFRICAN AMERICANS IN SCOTLAND.
nope.
2009-10-18, 2:44 PM #15
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
It seems certain unlikable people in the world often claim to have many black friends. So I guess it's not too hard to find some.

Exactly, look at Kanye West for example.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2009-10-18, 2:52 PM #16
Quote:
NO AFRICAN AMERICANS IN SCOTLAND.
Are there any African Scots?
2009-10-18, 3:09 PM #17
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
I wish I had a black friend so I could possibly say one day that I have black friends.

I have no black friends but I don't know any black people.

Even if I did I wouldn't go around playing the race card and saying "I have black friends so I'm not racist!"
2009-10-18, 4:46 PM #18
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
I live in Canada, the only reason I have no black friends is because I can't find any.

I live in the same city as you. You don't know any black people because they're at the University.
2009-10-18, 4:47 PM #19
Originally posted by JM:

Probably, but I don't know any.
nope.
2009-10-18, 5:26 PM #20
In my mind, this is more a question of someone forcing their unorthodox opinions on unwilling people, rather than racism.

While I agree there's nothing wrong with inter-racial relationships (hell, I'm in one), I don't think it's necessarily racism to believe them a bad idea. It really depends on why he thinks that. But just because he has some odd opinions doesn't mean others who have no problems with it should suffer.

[reading the article, it seems to me that he's hiding behind his justifications.]
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2009-10-18, 5:27 PM #21
Someone posted on SomethingAwful and I thought it was rather amusing. I'll paraphrase:

America, as a society, does not accept children of interracial couples. We do, however, elect them to the office of president.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2009-10-18, 6:28 PM #22
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
In my mind, this is more a question of someone forcing their unorthodox opinions on unwilling people, rather than racism.

While I agree there's nothing wrong with inter-racial relationships (hell, I'm in one), I don't think it's necessarily racism to believe them a bad idea. It really depends on why he thinks that. But just because he has some odd opinions doesn't mean others who have no problems with it should suffer.

[reading the article, it seems to me that he's hiding behind his justifications.]

How is it not racist to think that's a bad idea?
2009-10-18, 6:49 PM #23
Originally posted by JM:

[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2009-10-18, 7:33 PM #24
If he's being honest, and not hiding behind veiled justifications, then he's got something of a point... but it does seem like he's just hiding. Seems pretty racist. The couple got married anyway, though, so it's not like his position is really accomplishing anything even if he really is trying to do something with supposedly good intentions. Hell I don't know what to think of it. I saw this last week and haven't really thought much about it.
>>untie shoes
2009-10-18, 7:33 PM #25
Got a point how? How could two people loving eachother possibly be wrong no matter what race the two are?
2009-10-18, 7:43 PM #26
Did you even read the reason why he said he is against interracial marriage? Did you so much as click on a link or read a word of the actual story or is this a case of "omg i'v red this sentense and made up my mind!"
>>untie shoes
2009-10-18, 7:43 PM #27
It's only right if they're all white.

I was going to comment on the fact that if the man is white and the woman isn't then it's perfectly fine, so long as he was in the military and brought her home with him from somewhere. But I felt that would undermine the racist message.
2009-10-18, 7:48 PM #28
I don't agree with what the guy did... But he said he refuses to marry interracial couples because of the way mixed race children are viewed by both races.... I think he's full of ****, personally, but as long as the guy doesn't come out and say "I refuse to marry this black guy and white woman because I don't want some (insert racial epithet here) marrying a pure white woman" I'm not really gonna jump out and scream "BIGOT" like a lot of people.

He may be the biggest racist in a political position since David Duke, but then again he might just have some f-ed up views. Either way, he probably shouldn't be a judge anymore.
>>untie shoes
2009-10-18, 7:59 PM #29
Originally posted by JM:
I was going to comment on the fact that if the man is white and the woman isn't then it's perfectly fine, so long as he was in the military and brought her home with him from somewhere.
Agreed.
Attachment: 22862/racism-science-500x289.jpg (44,825 bytes)
2009-10-18, 8:04 PM #30
Of course they can't. She doesn't have the right genes to give it.

What's really disturbing in that diagram is that the girl is labeled 'pass for white' instead of 'white'. Apparently, it's possible to be 'black' (rather than 'pass for black') even though the father his white. But it's impossible to be white - you can only be 'pass for white' - because the mother is black.

Overt racism is really kind of funny. It's this subtle stuff you have to watch out for.
2009-10-18, 8:08 PM #31
Originally posted by Antony:
I don't agree with what the guy did... But he said he refuses to marry interracial couples because of the way mixed race children are viewed by both races.... I think he's full of ****, personally, but as long as the guy doesn't come out and say "I refuse to marry this black guy and white woman because I don't want some (insert racial epithet here) marrying a pure white woman" I'm not really gonna jump out and scream "BIGOT" like a lot of people.

He may be the biggest racist in a political position since David Duke, but then again he might just have some f-ed up views. Either way, he probably shouldn't be a judge anymore.

Saying they shouldn't marry because of how interrace children are treated is wrong, morally wrong.
Doesn't matter if he says he isn't, that's racist regardless. You can't be not racist and believe that, because it is racist.
2009-10-18, 8:11 PM #32
I like how you assume racism is bad! Little biased, aren't we Tibby?
2009-10-18, 8:16 PM #33
I'm going to quote your pre-edit post.

Quote:
Are you serious? Racism is okay if it prevents racism? I don't even understand. You say that interracial couples shouldn't marry because of how mixed children are treated?
That's morally wrong.
Ok. I'll break this down so you can understand.

What he did is wrong.

What he did is illegal.

What he did was based on his opinion.

He should not be a judge anymore because his job is to follow the law, not to make opinion based decisions.

Him saying he doesn't agree with the idea of interracial couples because of the way children are treated is not racist. It's unfortunate.

The guy even said he hopes in the future mixed-race children are treated better, and he said he couldn't morally do it. He said he didn't care if another judge did it instead. He just said he couldn't do it.

Also, what he did is not morally wrong. What he did (if he is being honest about his reasons for doing it) is actually morally right, since he is looking out for the best interests of the child. It's legally/ethically wrong. What he is doing is against the law, and does not fit the bill for his job.

The guy should not be a judge anymore, because he is incapable of performing his job.

EDIT: Either that or the guy is a racist ******* and he oughtta be shot.
>>untie shoes
2009-10-18, 8:19 PM #34
I like how you assume being biased is bad! Isn't that a little biased, JM?
2009-10-18, 8:21 PM #35
Originally posted by JM:
What's really disturbing in that diagram is that the girl is labeled 'pass for white' instead of 'white'. Apparently, it's possible to be 'black' (rather than 'pass for black') even though the father his white. But it's impossible to be white - you can only be 'pass for white' - because the mother is black.
Yup. And it takes a good, white, American boy to knock the black out of her.

I agree 100% that the subtle discrimination is what's dangerous, though. I hear a lot of white retards talk about how we don't have a culture. We don't have an accent, or "ethnic cuisine." After all, it's not a culture unless you can boil it down to something like Chinatown. We don't see our culture as a "culture," because it's generic. You either live it or you don't. Wear a white shirt and a tie, work 8 hours a day, accept the "generic" Christian symbolism hanging over your head and eat at a restaurant that turns an entire continent of food into a deep fried pastiche.

It's stupid and it's racist.
2009-10-18, 8:26 PM #36
Yes of course... The things we do on a day to day basis and the standard fare white people food do not qualify as culture or ethnic cuisine.

Also, our "culture" as white people cannot be boiled down because white people like to steal "culture" from every race we can find.
>>untie shoes
2009-10-18, 8:28 PM #37
Him saying he doesn't agree with the idea of interracial couples because of the way children are treated is not racist. It's unfortunate.

I also agree with this completely.

'Racist' is a knee-jerk reactionary accusation people are only lobbing around because they can't reconcile their own fear of being labeled a racist with their physical ability to identify someone as a different race and making a decision based on that observation. I see something I find morally repugnant, but seeing as how his goal obviously isn't to keep dem darn darkies from breedin' I don't see one damn shred of racism in this issue.
2009-10-18, 8:33 PM #38
Also, our "culture" as white people cannot be boiled down because white people like to steal "culture" from every race we can find.
Goodness me, no.

Our "culture" as white people cannot be boiled down because we live within that culture. If you asked a thousand different people from China, Japan, Korea, Vietnam, Singapore and Thailand what they think "Chinatown" should look like I can pretty much guarantee that none of their answers would come even close to the place we eat fusion. That's because their cultures are rich and varied, much like ours, and they view their own cultures as "generic" and inclusive too.

This is the sort of attitude I'm talking about. Don't feel bad, though: you can't help it. It's how we're wired.
2009-10-18, 8:39 PM #39
Quote:
I like how you assume being biased is bad! Isn't that a little biased, JM?

Yes it is! Thankfully I have no problem admitting I am biased! You, however, believe hypocrisy is bad! Shame on you!
2009-10-18, 8:41 PM #40
Also, this was news around here, like, last week. It was settled about then, too. It seems that we know how to deal with our old racists. We just ignore them and eventually they die. Took the BBC to care about it.

↑ Up to the top!