Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Borderlands
Borderlands
2009-10-19, 7:27 AM #1
So, anyone else besides me getting this game? Personally, I can't wait to play this. Looks freaking awesome. I've been following this for 2 years and it comes out next week.
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2009-10-19, 7:50 AM #2
I've got too many games to play at the moment, but I will definitely look at it later on once I'm back down to just one or two ongoing...
2009-10-19, 9:00 AM #3
I was really excited for this game until I saw the graphics... It just wasn't what I was expecting so it put me off a bit. I'll most likely get it at some point but not for a while...especially with Modern Warfare 2, L4D2, and Assasin's Creed 2 all coming out this fall.
2009-10-19, 10:17 AM #4
Well, I thought I wouldn't like the new cell-shaded look, but I think it would work. I'll let you know my opinion when I get it next week.

maeve
2009-10-19, 10:19 AM #5
A lot of the videos online are from an older build, the graphics are much improved in newer builds.

I'm still skeptical though. I want to see how it goes post release before I even bother. It could be horrible, or possibly satisfying?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-10-19, 10:35 AM #6
Ridiculously excited. I love the concept, I love the art style, I love the environment. Picking it up after class tomorrow.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2009-10-19, 10:46 AM #7
I saw this and thought it might be related to Wheel of Time. Now I'm mildly disappointed. (Book 12 is coming out in a few days. :D)
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2009-10-19, 12:35 PM #8
I saw a commercial on it and it looked cool ... it's for PC so I might pick it up

The commercial that really struck me and made me want to play the game was the one for Uncharted 2 (with that silly "my girlfriend thinks it's a movie" thing) ... it looked gorgeous and cinematic with a good plot and gameplay ... TOO BAD IT'S FOR PS3 ONLY SO I WILL NEVER PLAY IT
一个大西瓜
2009-10-19, 2:47 PM #9
Originally posted by Outlaw Torn:
Well, I thought I wouldn't like the new cell-shaded look, but I think it would work. I'll let you know my opinion when I get it next week.

Please do I really want it to be good haha.
2009-10-19, 3:40 PM #10
Too many games to play at the moment, but the game did receive a 8.8 for the console versions by IGN.
2009-10-19, 7:15 PM #11
I heard the game can last up to 30 hours of gameplay. Which is good because I'm getting annoyed at 6 hour games these days. Is the gunplay good? Fallout 3 may have hit the mark in certain categories gameplay-wise, but the FPS aspect of it was ...pretty bad.

I'm not expecting spectacular FPS mechanics in this hybrid RPG-FPS game, but is it solid enough so it won't bother me for 30 hours?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-10-19, 7:25 PM #12
Hmm, this does look intriguing... first time hearing about the game for me.

Which version is better, PC or 360? Does 360 have split screen co-op? How twitchy is the gameplay? Is it easy for a newbie to pick up and join co-op fun?
2009-10-19, 7:36 PM #13
I read something about it being okay for a newbie to come in and join co-op fun but I can't remember the details.
2009-10-19, 7:38 PM #14
Preordered a 4-pack for PC.

I was really excited for this game before they changed the art style. Now I'm more ambivalent... but there are so few good 4-player coop games.
2009-10-19, 8:35 PM #15
Just got in on a 4 pack, hope it's worth it!
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2009-10-20, 6:41 AM #16
Originally posted by Connection Problem:
Hmm, this does look intriguing... first time hearing about the game for me.

Which version is better, PC or 360? Does 360 have split screen co-op? How twitchy is the gameplay? Is it easy for a newbie to pick up and join co-op fun?

360 does have split screen co-op I heard. And as far as gun play is concerned, this game is called an RPS (Role-playing shooter). They said that the shooter aspect is like an actual FPS. We'll see. Console versions came out last night, but I've got it pre-purchased on steam. I can't stand console FPS.

maeve
2009-10-20, 11:07 PM #17
uuh so how is the game
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2009-10-21, 12:40 AM #18
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/reviews/2009/10/were-going-to-need-guns-ars-reviews-borderlands.ars

Good review from my favourite source.
2009-10-21, 9:13 AM #19
Originally posted by drizzt2k2:
uuh so how is the game

I hadn't even heard of the game until I saw this thread the other day. I picked it up last night, then sat down and played it for 2 1/2 hours straight. >.> It's pretty damn fun so far, though I can see co-op play being much better.
2009-10-21, 10:52 AM #20
A friend of mine in another town bought it today. Is it worth paying $50? We would play 4-player online on a regular basis.
2009-10-21, 12:59 PM #21
Originally posted by Steven:
A friend of mine in another town bought it today. Is it worth paying $50? We would play 4-player online on a regular basis.

I'd say yeah. I played split-screen co-op today with a friend on 360, and even that was way more fun than single player.
2009-10-21, 1:10 PM #22
Is it worth playing if you only want it for the single-player and not co-op? Being that I don't think I'll be able to get 3 of my friends to shell out $50 for it ~_~

Alternatively, any chance it'll be on sale soon?
一个大西瓜
2009-10-23, 12:52 AM #23
I bought it, I love it, I haven't stopped playing it. You should buy it too, everyone
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2009-10-23, 12:57 AM #24
No chance I buy it until I've bought and played through Dragon Age, but I'm interested to see how it's received.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2009-10-23, 2:39 AM #25
Maybe eventually. I am so far behind with games, it's almost funny.
woot!
2009-10-23, 3:58 AM #26
Originally posted by Pommy:
Is it worth playing if you only want it for the single-player and not co-op? Being that I don't think I'll be able to get 3 of my friends to shell out $50 for it ~_~

Alternatively, any chance it'll be on sale soon?

Console version is already out, Pommy. PC version comes out next week (The 26th, according to Steam.) I've got the game pre-purchased, I'm just waiting for the unlock.

maeve
2009-10-23, 4:21 AM #27
I'm currently redoing my apartment's floor (ceramic and wood panels, instead of rugs) so I've no time for it. By the time I'm done, Dragon Age will be out and that is way more appealing to me. By the time I would be able to really play Borderlands the craze would be over and most regulars would be way ahead in gear. There is little point to it.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2009-10-23, 4:59 AM #28
Jep, do you have an excuse for everything?:P

maeve
2009-10-23, 5:04 AM #29
I was drunk and feeling lonely when I banged your mama.

(:P)
2009-10-23, 5:09 AM #30
I feel sorry for you. The amount of alcohol required would have been lethal a hundred times over.

maeve
2009-10-23, 5:15 AM #31
Its a good thing I had a good doctor on hand!
2009-10-23, 11:00 AM #32
So I'm about 5 hours in, and I absolutely love this game, it's probably my favorite game this year. However, it is pretty much a game made just for me. It's World of Warcraft meets XIII meets Mad Max & Firefly. It's got a great sense of humor, it's got an amazing style and atmosphere, and a fantastic combat system. That being said, it's made for an OCD player, and a stat whore. Finding new weapons, testing them out, finding the best weapons for the best situation. It's really intuitive and easy to use, the inventory doesn't fight the player, it doesn't make anything difficult. It all comes down to blowing the hell out of everything.

Best moment so far, during one of the first quests, your Guardian Angel says "Would you kindly go pick up that repair kit over there".

So. Awesome.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2009-10-23, 11:18 AM #33
Originally posted by Outlaw Torn:
Console version is already out, Pommy. PC version comes out next week (The 26th, according to Steam.) I've got the game pre-purchased, I'm just waiting for the unlock.

On sale as in like sold at a discounted price
一个大西瓜
2009-10-23, 12:15 PM #34
Why does the box art have a shirtless guy in a mini-gasmask shooting spoiled milk out of the back of his head?
:master::master::master:
2009-10-23, 1:41 PM #35
Originally posted by stat:
Why does the box art have a shirtless guy in a mini-gasmask shooting spoiled milk out of the back of his head?

A lot of the baddies are completely over-the-top. Not quite to the same extent as something like Serious Sam, but close.

I'll get back to you on the spoiled milk.
2009-10-23, 9:19 PM #36
Originally posted by Pommy:
On sale as in like sold at a discounted price

Well, its 45 bucks on Steam at the moment. But you can't play until the 26th.

maeve
2009-10-26, 11:26 AM #37
Is the game fun alone? Most reviews states its pretty so so for solo play
2009-10-26, 11:40 AM #38
Originally posted by Jep:
Is the game fun alone? Most reviews states its pretty so so for solo play

About 75% of what I've played has just been solo and I'm still having a lot of fun.
2009-10-26, 11:45 AM #39
How are the fps mechanics, compared to other games of the same genre, like Farcry 2, Modern Warfare, etc. Hopefully, despite the roleplaying shooter label its not as bad as say Fallout 3?
2009-10-26, 11:52 AM #40
Originally posted by Jep:
How are the fps mechanics, compared to other games of the same genre, like Farcry 2, Modern Warfare, etc. Hopefully, despite the roleplaying shooter label its not as bad as say Fallout 3?

Somewhere between Fallout 3 & COD4. It's normal, twitched based shooting, you shoot something in the head, it dies (For the most part). But there's health & shield pools and math decides how much damage you do.
--Garrison Keillor

↑ Up to the top!