Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Strange social norms
Strange social norms
2009-10-19, 8:07 PM #1
Do you ever notice that it's socially acceptable for a bit of peanut butter to get into the jelly jar, but it's totally uncool if any jelly gets in the peanut butter?

Do you ever double standards like this?
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2009-10-19, 8:12 PM #2
This is because jelly is in the fridge. The peanut butter is not. If you get peanut butter in the jelly, oh well. If you get jelly in the peanut butter, the jelly rots.

Duh.
2009-10-19, 8:19 PM #3
Peanut butter in the jelly jar. Jelly in the peanut butter jar. It matters not. They are just substances mixing together. I propose that it is the human race who is the real contamination in this universe.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-10-19, 8:19 PM #4
[http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/42256/smuckers-goober-grape.jpg]
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2009-10-19, 8:36 PM #5
I keep both the peanut butter and the jelly in the fridge, so I wouldn't really care if I did this...but I don't. Because I'm perfect. :D
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
2009-10-19, 8:39 PM #6
I use two knives. My wife doesn't. It drives me crazy. But I don't say anything. I quietly fume for 12 seconds then get over it. She also doesn't close the toothpaste after using it.
2009-10-19, 8:41 PM #7
Ever notice how it is ok for humans to have thumbs, but not ok for thumbs to have humans?

[http://s2.buzzfeed.com/static/imagebuzz/web02/2009/1/28/14/behold-thumb-man-15102-1233169937-1.jpg]
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2009-10-19, 8:42 PM #8
Peanut butter is a revolting substance that closely resembles leftovers in a dirty diaper. If/when I find it in the jelly jar, I'm not a happy camper.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2009-10-19, 8:43 PM #9
Originally posted by Chewbubba:
Peanut butter is a revolting substance that closely resembles leftovers in a dirty diaper.

...chunky or smooth?
2009-10-19, 8:46 PM #10
Blah blah blah I am a Godless Communist who hates fun and puppies.

"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2009-10-19, 9:00 PM #11
llibja - HERESY! GODLESSNESS!
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2009-10-19, 9:04 PM #12
Yea I have never had it, it's gotta be just awful.
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2009-10-19, 9:16 PM #13
i always spread the pb first on one slice, wipe off the knife on the other slice, then put the jelly on that slice.

no mess in either jar...
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2009-10-19, 9:23 PM #14
Originally posted by Brian:
I use two knives. My wife doesn't. It drives me crazy. But I don't say anything. I quietly fume for 12 seconds then get over it. She also doesn't close the toothpaste after using it.

Funny how it's little stuff like that that makes you go 'wtf'.. My roommate has a habit of opening mail and leaving it in the mailbox.

:confused:
woot!
2009-10-19, 9:30 PM #15
Originally posted by JLee:
Funny how it's little stuff like that that makes you go 'wtf'.. My roommate has a habit of opening mail and leaving it in the mailbox.

See that's just retarded.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2009-10-19, 9:46 PM #16
Peanut butter is a revolting substance that closely resembles leftovers in a dirty diaper. If/when I find it in the jelly jar, I'm not a happy camper.

I <3 you Chewbubba.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2009-10-19, 9:52 PM #17
I think the whole thing is strange. If you're calling jam jelly, what the hell do you call actual jelly? Gelatin-based food product?

But mixing peanut butter and jam in the first place is nasty. Vegemite and cheese on the other hand is all manner of awesome.
2009-10-19, 10:02 PM #18
Sorry, I use jelly/jam/fruit spread/preserves interchangably. I typically use a fruit spread.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2009-10-20, 12:22 AM #19
Originally posted by Shayol:
I think the whole thing is strange. If you're calling jam jelly, what the hell do you call actual jelly? Gelatin-based food product?

But mixing peanut butter and jam in the first place is nasty. Vegemite and cheese on the other hand is all manner of awesome.

I think jam = jelly, and jelly = jello . It took me quite a while to work that out, many years of thinking 'peanut butter and jelly' was some utter abomination.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2009-10-20, 12:48 AM #20
Peanut butter is just WRONG on its own anyway.

But the same knife/clean argument is valid for toast + butter + jam. Either use two knives or clean between dunks: Izzy I'm looking at you :P
2009-10-20, 12:58 AM #21
The only thing better than peanut butter is peanut butter and chocolate.

But I'm not a big PB&J person, so it's not much of an issue for me. I'm usually the annoying one cross contaminating things - my brother gets frustrated.
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2009-10-20, 1:05 AM #22
Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
I think jam = jelly, and jelly = jello . It took me quite a while to work that out, many years of thinking 'peanut butter and jelly' was some utter abomination.

This.
nope.
2009-10-20, 1:49 AM #23
sourdough bread, butter on the outside, PB&J on the inside. Grill it. Spread cream cheese on top.

DELICIOUS BREAKFAST

o.0
2009-10-20, 4:28 AM #24
I don't have PB&J, but I do use Jam and Butter, and I always wipe the knife down before spreading the jam, otherwise the jam-jar is full of butter.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2009-10-20, 4:45 AM #25
Originally posted by sugarless:
The only thing better than peanut butter is peanut butter and chocolate.

Definitely. I'll risk the sugar induced coma, thanks very much.

Personally, I think peanut butter and jam sounds utterly vile, but I am prepared to agree with you weirdos that double-dipping the knife for stuff like that is just plain rude.
2009-10-20, 5:08 AM #26
It amazes me how many non Americans think PB&J sounds awful. I expect it's just because they've never had it.
2009-10-20, 5:34 AM #27
I hate peanut butter.
2009-10-20, 6:05 AM #28
The only thing I can think of is buttery marmite.

Or breadcrumby butter.

Ergh.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2009-10-20, 6:52 AM #29
Originally posted by JM:
It amazes me how many non Americans think PB&J sounds awful. I expect it's just because they've never had it.

No it's because what we call jelly, you call jello.

I have peanut butter and jam from time to time, never heard of there being a problem if theres a bit of one in the other though.

Originally posted by JM:
This is because jelly is in the fridge. The peanut butter is not. If you get peanut butter in the jelly, oh well. If you get jelly in the peanut butter, the jelly rots.

Duh.

I dunno if your jelly is exactly the same as my jam, but jam you can keep in a cupboard for weeks, and I do.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2009-10-20, 7:07 AM #30
Originally posted by JM:

And you need the crunchy PB. :neckbeard:

2009-10-20, 7:20 AM #31
RE: marmite, vegemite, and any in-jar mixing of peanut butter & jelly

ew.
2009-10-20, 7:43 AM #32
Snack superior to all:
[http://www.brunost.ch/brunost-ost/bild/null_89759a.jpg]
Bread with fløtemysost
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
2009-10-20, 9:20 AM #33
Ok, here's the definitions:
Jelly is made from fruit juice
Jam is made from fruit pulp or crushed fruit.
Jello is made with gelatin, which is made from a protein of animal skin and bones.
Pectin is in Jelly and jams and is what gives it the jellolike stiffness. That comes from fruit
http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/question84.htm
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2009-10-20, 10:00 AM #34

Sometimes I do that for junk mail. :XD: We have those shared mailboxes, where a bunch of other apartments' mailboxes are connected on one stand. So sometimes I take the junkmail out and put it into the outgoing mail slot to see how long it takes to get back.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-10-20, 10:51 AM #35
I've seen that in movies, the American style 'mail box' with the flag. How does that work? Flag up means you have mail? Or flag down? Do you have post boxes, like
[http://www.ministry-of-information.co.uk/blog1/0510/images/291005-14.jpg]

but presumably different colour and shape, I guess.
2009-10-20, 10:53 AM #36
Aren't american post boxes blue and shaped like a bin? :P
nope.
2009-10-20, 11:02 AM #37
Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
I've seen that in movies, the American style 'mail box' with the flag. How does that work? Flag up means you have mail? Or flag down? Do you have post boxes, like
[http://www.ministry-of-information.co.uk/blog1/0510/images/291005-14.jpg]

but presumably different colour and shape, I guess.

Flag up means there's outgoing mail waiting to be picked up.

Originally posted by Baconfish:
Aren't american post boxes blue and shaped like a bin? :P

Yep.
woot!
2009-10-20, 11:05 AM #38
Yes they are terribly unergonomic. Imagine running into one of those sharp corners!

[http://www.freefoto.com/images/04/30/04_30_63---US-Mail-Box_web.jpg]
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-10-20, 11:15 AM #39
Running violently into objects with your body doesn't seem like compelling evidence in arguing for or against a product's ergonomic design.
2009-10-20, 11:24 AM #40
Flag up means there's outgoing mail waiting to be picked up.

Ah, ok. That makes sense. So if you haven't checked your mail one day, the postman just checks the address to tell the difference between outgoing and incoming mail. What about sensitive mail, like bank statements, that you don't want somewhere so easily stealable?

↑ Up to the top!