Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Strange social norms
Strange social norms
2009-10-20, 11:31 AM #41
Huh? When the mailman notices the flag up, he puts it down after he collected the mail.

If you put the flag up, it means you cleared out the mail box and the only thing in there is outgoing mail. You wouldn't just go to your mail box, put the outgoing mail in and not bother check the rest of the contents.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-10-20, 11:39 AM #42
It's not really that much of an issue. You do have to look out for your packages though. USPS is good about not leaving them if you are not home though.

It's also a federal offence (Not sure if the punishment is even that big, but it is federal) so if you do it and get caught you're pretty much ****ed.
2009-10-20, 11:44 AM #43
Why not just push it through a hole in your door, though?

Why have the red flag box things at all?
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2009-10-20, 11:44 AM #44
Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
Ah, ok. That makes sense. So if you haven't checked your mail one day, the postman just checks the address to tell the difference between outgoing and incoming mail. What about sensitive mail, like bank statements, that you don't want somewhere so easily stealable?

Then you get a box at the post office, or get electronic statements like everybody else! :P

Originally posted by - Tony -:

Not everybody has holes in the door - also tons of mail people are driving and they don't get out of their trucks.
woot!
2009-10-20, 11:53 AM #45

Because the mailbox can stand on the edge of the property without having the mailman getting out of his truck.

I don't see why having a mailman going through your mail is worrisome. I mean, JM seems like a nice guy.
2009-10-20, 12:56 PM #46
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
Because the mailbox can stand on the edge of the property without having the mailman getting out of his truck.

I don't see why having a mailman going through your mail is worrisome. I mean, JM seems like a nice guy.

It's not the mailman I'm worried about, it's everyone else. Identity fraud is really ****ing easy.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2009-10-20, 1:13 PM #47
Ah, ok. That makes sense. So if you haven't checked your mail one day, the postman just checks the address to tell the difference between outgoing and incoming mail. What about sensitive mail, like bank statements, that you don't want somewhere so easily stealable?

The mailman comes every day. If the flag is up, you've been to your mailbox and presumable the only contents are outgoing mail. No need for sorting.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2009-10-20, 1:16 PM #48
It's not the mailman I'm worried about, it's everyone else. Identity fraud is really ****ing easy.

You should be happy that someone wishes to be you.
2009-10-20, 1:44 PM #49

Yeah, just think about the time saved by mailmen being able to just stop at the box in the street rather than stopping at every house and going up to the door. Also keep in mind that a lot of people live out on rural routes which are impractical to walk to, and even then, the house is a quarter mile off the road, and behind a gate.

And regarding the sensitive mail, that stuff you put in the mail boxes like the one in the picture Emon posted, so people can't just go around looking for mailboxes with flags up and stealing stuff. Or, if it's really sensitive, you can take it straight to the post office.
Warhead[97]
2009-10-20, 2:29 PM #50
I found christmas cards in ditches. All torn open. Gift cards, cash, stolen. Don't put these in your mailbox.

That is all.

Also if you think your mailman doesn't sort your mail you deserve to be punched in the face. It's about 50/50 sorting time to delivery time for most routes. When it's not, it takes longer to sort. So there.
2009-10-20, 2:36 PM #51
I was refering to sorting incoming and outgoing mail. If they've put outgoing mail in the box, there should no longer be incoming mail mixed in as they should have taken it.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2009-10-20, 2:59 PM #52
Do not underestimate stupidity.

Incidentally : If you write all over your junk mail that you don't want it, and give it back, what do you think happens to it?
2009-10-20, 3:03 PM #53
Originally posted by Brian:
I use two knives. My wife doesn't. It drives me crazy. But I don't say anything. I quietly fume for 12 seconds then get over it. She also doesn't close the toothpaste after using it.

How in the world do you forget to close the toothpaste?

Then again, not sure about anyone else, but my toothpaste/toothbrush (as well as the rest of my family members') are left in the drawer, not on the counter top (as seen in most commercials/tv shows), so if you put the tooth paste back in without a cap you'll get it all over everyone's stuff if it's squished by anything.

But still.. :argh:
2009-10-20, 6:12 PM #54
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
Running violently into objects with your body doesn't seem like compelling evidence in arguing for or against a product's ergonomic design.

Ah-chem... >.>
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2009-10-20, 10:21 PM #55

We're all rich, so....the butler picks it up.
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2009-10-21, 6:23 AM #56
Wait, the mailman takes outgoing mail from those little boxes? :confused:
nope.
2009-10-21, 7:29 AM #57
Snack superior to all:
[http://www.brunost.ch/brunost-ost/bild/null_89759a.jpg]
Bread with fløtemysost

Wow, I didn't think I'd see any other person eating brunost.
Loved it as a child. Can't stand it now.
Sorry for the lousy German
2009-10-21, 12:48 PM #58
Most newer communities are now using community security mailboxes. Each home is designated one compartment, and there is usually one box for 6-8 homes. There is usually one of this big mailboxes every 200 feet or so in newer communities. One compartment has a slot for outgoing mail; all other compartments are incoming mail only.
Attachment: 22868/441452389_1007077537_o.jpg (148,410 bytes)
2009-10-21, 1:44 PM #59
Snack superior to all:
[http://www.brunost.ch/brunost-ost/bild/null_89759a.jpg]
Bread with fløtemysost

Drool. I want some now! It's been years.
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2009-10-21, 1:44 PM #60
I thought the flag thing just meant you have mail, not outgoing.
I've never heard of putting outgoing mail in your mailbox.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2009-10-21, 1:47 PM #61
While I do enjoy a good peanut butter (crunchy) & jelly sandwich (grape), I must say that I've become quite fond of Nutella as well.
? :)
2009-10-21, 2:05 PM #62
Originally posted by Deadman:
I thought the flag thing just meant you have mail, not outgoing.
I've never heard of putting outgoing mail in your mailbox.

Where else would you put it?
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2009-10-21, 2:31 PM #63
Here you take it to the post office, they have slots in the walls based on which postcode area you want to send it to.
Postmen only deliver, they don't collect.
2009-10-21, 2:42 PM #64
Yeah, here you put it in a post box like Mort posted, or you take it to the post office.
nope.
2009-10-21, 2:50 PM #65
the post office.

the mailbox on your street corner.

the mailbox at the drug store.

etc.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2009-10-21, 3:06 PM #66
Oh yeah, mailboxes too, I just think post office cuz I live near it
2009-10-21, 5:13 PM #67
Post man is already there to deliver, it's not like it's out of his way to pick up the outgoing mail too
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2009-10-21, 5:18 PM #68
I like how you all think you know things.
2009-10-21, 5:21 PM #69
In a lot of urban areas in the US (at least the places I've been to) the postmen don't pick up outgoing mail.
:master::master::master:
2009-10-21, 5:28 PM #70
True, I'm talking about the outgoing mail in mailboxes in suburbia.

And yes, Deadman, you put the outgoing mail in the box and put the little flag up that says "Hello mailman! Please pick this up while you're here! Thank you!"
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2009-10-21, 5:32 PM #71
But what if the mailman doesn't give a rat's ***?

You drop JM and start using Rob at a premium!
nope.
2009-10-21, 6:22 PM #72
Rob is the Gene Hackman to JM's Nicholas Cage
2009-10-22, 12:48 AM #73
Well, JM is going to be on strike for the next 2 days, so we'll have to
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2009-10-22, 1:35 AM #74
Weird social norms? Hmm... I know quite a few. Well I don't know if it's a social norm or not, but you're not supposed to smoke when you go out with a girl. I find it rather dumb, because her assumption is that I know this and don't care (which is true), but she won't tell me to put out my cig if it's bothering her. Seriously, if somebody's smoking is bothering you, tell them to put it out, if they are a nice person, they'll be considerate.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2009-10-22, 3:33 AM #75

Aye, but somehow I got got the post through my door. :huh:
nope.
2009-10-22, 5:48 AM #76
Quote:

I am? You know that we sign a contract saying if we strike, we can be arrested, right?
2009-10-22, 9:23 AM #77
So instead you just passive aggressively take it out on the American people?
2009-10-22, 2:51 PM #78
Uh, no. 'We' don't. Maybe your mailman is just a dick?

Or maybe you have no idea what you're talking about?

Here's another big thing. You get two letters a day. Okay, each is pretty important to you then. Your mailman handles ~three thousand pieces a day. Does he give a **** about your one letter? Of course not.
2009-10-22, 4:27 PM #79
See what I'm talking about?
2009-10-22, 4:39 PM #80
Let's give this postal thing a rest.
It's freaking stupid.

We send out mail whatever way we want, we get mail whatever way we want.
If you have a concern with the current method, CHANGE IT.

****ing A.

↑ Up to the top!