Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → hangover food?
hangover food?
2009-10-31, 12:58 PM #1
anyone have any good recommendations for hangover food???? aprease!
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2009-10-31, 1:04 PM #2
Weed.
2009-10-31, 1:05 PM #3
Sausage egg cheese ketchup hoagie
一个大西瓜
2009-10-31, 1:07 PM #4
Taco Bell, chinese food, pizza, generally anything bad for you
2009-10-31, 1:21 PM #5
Something incredibly greasy and unhealthy. That always does it for me.
2009-10-31, 1:22 PM #6
One unhealthy habit leads to another.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2009-10-31, 1:43 PM #7
Beer.
2009-10-31, 1:44 PM #8
Originally posted by Vin:
Weed.

This

But if not, usually some Chinese food works just awesome. That or toast
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2009-10-31, 1:44 PM #9
Originally posted by ELITE WARRIOR:
Taco Bell, chinese food, pizza, generally anything bad for you

damn straight.

also, gatorade
Stuff
2009-10-31, 1:50 PM #10
The Grand Slamwich from Denny's. Seriously the greatest alcohol sponge on the planet.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2009-10-31, 1:51 PM #11
When alcohol is broken down in the liver it creates acetaldehyde, which is attacked by the enzyme acetaldehyde dehydrogenase and also glutathione. Together, acetaldehyde dehydrogenase and the glutathione form the nontoxic acetate and everything is fine and dandy - until the glutathione runs out, and acetaldehyde builds up in the body. Acetaldehyde toxicity causes the bad headache and vomiting.

Eggs contain large amounts of cysteine, a substance that breaks down acetaldehyde and allows the liver to build up more glutathione and break down left-over toxins.

Water is obviously combats dehydration and dilutes toxins in the stomach, and adding salt and sugar to water helps replace the sodium and glycogen lost the night before.

Excedrin can be helpful for a headache because it combines acetaminophen for the pain and caffeine to reduce the size of the pounding blood vessels; however, prolonged combination of alcohol and acetaminophen has been shown to cause liver damage, and also caffeine, like alcohol, is a diuretic so will increase dehydration. So also avoid coffee. Aspirin is a non-caffeinated prostaglandin inhibitors, so will combat the headache but may in some people cause stomach aches.

Those miracle hang-over cures you might've seen are always just vitamin supplements, and vitamin B and C are good for helping a hangover.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2009-10-31, 2:15 PM #12
Jack in the box, taco bell, or White Castle
I'm proud of my life and the things that I have done, proud of myself and the loner I've become.
2009-10-31, 2:36 PM #13
I don't do well trying to eat if I have a hangover or whatnot. If I'm not feeling sick prior, there's a higher chance I'll feel sick if I try to eat anytime soon. I usually just try to be preventative.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2009-10-31, 2:51 PM #14
Bacon Sandwich and IRN BRU.
nope.
2009-10-31, 3:03 PM #15
thanks for all the suggestions! i ended up getting a bacon egg and potato breakfast burrito from a super greasy mexican food place... feel mush better now. :)
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2009-10-31, 3:23 PM #16
Paracetamol + lucozade (or equivalent).

Then proceed directly to fried food, do not pass go, do not collect £200.
2009-10-31, 11:40 PM #17
I will need this tomoroow morning for sure
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2009-10-31, 11:44 PM #18
Drunk post B&.
:colbert:
2009-11-01, 12:42 AM #19
stop mini modding.

also the best preventative is:

http://rocwiki.org/Garbage_Plates
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2009-11-01, 1:13 AM #20
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
Drunk post B&.
:colbert:

[http://thederosh.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/school-of-rock-jack-black-400a012907.jpg]

"No, it means I was drunk."
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2009-11-01, 1:23 AM #21
Michael wins.
I'm proud of my life and the things that I have done, proud of myself and the loner I've become.
2009-11-01, 6:56 AM #22
I used to just not eat anything for almost an entire day. I couldn't stomach the idea of food or keep anything down after lots of drinking.
>>untie shoes
2009-11-01, 9:06 AM #23
Originally posted by Antony:
I used to just not eat anything for almost an entire day. I couldn't stomach the idea of food or keep anything down after lots of drinking.

same here, yesterday I didn't eat until 5 in the afternoon, and that was more out of necessity.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2009-11-01, 10:15 AM #24
I'm going to go with Mort-Hog's suggestion. It seems to make the most sense. I woke up this morning after our Halloween party with a headache from hell & I spent the end of my night throwing up. I usually just maintain a light buzz but last night I got suckered in to some really stupid drinking games. :(
? :)
2009-11-01, 1:24 PM #25
Seriously, my method rocks. :P
2009-11-01, 1:42 PM #26
Maybe that's why I'm immune to hangovers.

My entire diet is basically Martyn's hangover cure.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2009-11-01, 1:59 PM #27
You can negate most of the effects by drinking liquor on the rocks instead of beer. You drink less, you drink it slower, and you get lots of water at the same time.
2009-11-01, 3:05 PM #28
Originally posted by JM:
...you drink it slower...

if that were the case i probably would not have been in this mess! lol :P
2009-11-01, 3:54 PM #29
Originally posted by Darth_Alran:
anyone have any good recommendations for hangover food???? aprease!

Dog hair. ;)
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2009-11-01, 9:12 PM #30
That remedy is for rabies. They use the expression, "eating the hair of the dog that bit you", as an analogy for drinking alcohol to get rid of a hangover -- and an old wivestale that said pulling off the hair of a dog that bit you would cure or protect you from the possibility of rabies.
2009-11-01, 9:36 PM #31
Originally posted by JM:
You can negate most of the effects by drinking liquor on the rocks instead of beer. You drink less, you drink it slower, and you get lots of water at the same time.

Uh, what? How do you get lots of water from drinking liquor on the rocks, from the ice? You get much more water from beer, which is far more dilute.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-11-01, 9:41 PM #32
Water
Puke
Water
Puke
Painkillers
Puke
Painkillers
Water
Super Noodles
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2009-11-01, 9:43 PM #33
Breakfast burrito.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2009-11-01, 9:57 PM #34
Originally posted by Emon:
Uh, what? How do you get lots of water from drinking liquor on the rocks, from the ice? You get much more water from beer, which is far more dilute.

You piss less.
2009-11-01, 10:12 PM #35
Originally posted by Squirrel King:
You piss less.

Yeah, I'm going to have to go with "What?"
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2009-11-01, 11:07 PM #36
Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane:
Yeah, I'm going to have to go with "What?"

He's saying that since you piss a lot drinking beer you're not really keeping in much of the liquids...I think.

I find best hangover cure is something protein heavy like steak.

Yeah, steak + sweet tea works best for me. I can't do gatorade like some suggested, kinda like drinking a soda hungover, can't do it.
2009-11-02, 4:05 AM #37
Originally posted by Emon:

I'm wondering why you're questioning this and not why JM seems to claim to know everything yet he's still just a mailman.
nope.
2009-11-02, 4:59 AM #38
While I'm not going near his explanation (and won't offer one myself either) I agree with JM, speaking from experience.

My tipple of choice is Vodka on the rocks with a squeeze of fresh lime, and I get far milder hangovers than when I hit the beer. The nearest I've come to an explanation (based on speculation) is that spirits tend to be more pure than beer, particularly canned beers like Guinness. I imagine the effect is lessened by drinking German beer (only 4 ingredients allowed), but I rarely drink enough of that to cause a hangover ;)
2009-11-02, 8:41 AM #39
I was watching the movie "Rosewood" last night & Jon Voight was drinking a glass of raw eggs to cure a hangover. +1 for Mort-Hog.
? :)
2009-11-02, 12:48 PM #40
Originally posted by Squirrel King:
You piss less.

Alcohol makes you piss because it's a diuretic, it draws water out of your system. With beer, you are replenishing water as you are drinking alcohol.

Drinking liquor may avoid problems, but that's not the reason why.

In any case, Mort-Hog's explanation, which was shamelessly plagiarized from HowStuffWorks.com is quite correct. There's a more complete explanation in their article.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.

↑ Up to the top!