Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Stargate Universe (RDA is fat)
Stargate Universe (RDA is fat)
2009-11-07, 12:55 AM #1
Well its a few episodes in now, what is everyones thoughts thus far?
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-11-07, 1:00 AM #2
It looks like Talford's gonna try to **** Young's wife?
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-11-07, 1:34 AM #3
The plot seems to always be as follows:
Ship has problem
Ship comes in range of something that can solve said problem
Countdown
Crisis
Other Crisis
at 11:59 both crisi are averted
(optional) the ship knew what it was doing, and solved everything itself.

Still, characters are good.
2009-11-07, 1:45 AM #4
I concur with both.

Not sure I like it as part of the Stargate franchise, it just doesn't fit in with SG-1 and Atlantis, less action more drama I guess.

I am beginning to really like Rush's character development though, even though he can be a prick from time to time, its obvious that he is going to be the one doing the most ***-saving on the ship.

Talford's an ***. There always has to be one of them I suppose.
-Martyn
2009-11-07, 1:49 AM #5
Stargate 90210: Communication Stone Hijinks!

I laughed when the stones glitched in the middle of the... intimate moment.
Stuff
2009-11-07, 2:31 AM #6
I like it so far, in part, because it's not SG-1/Atlantis all over again.

RDA is fat because he had surgery on both his feet. Couldn't do much on his feet prior.
Pissed Off?
2009-11-07, 3:13 AM #7
Having not watched any Stargate other than the original film, I must say I like it, but Tibby's analysis is indeed bob on.
2009-11-07, 6:08 AM #8
I'm trying to figure out if Telford is going to try and play himself off as Young, or just do his ex on the side. I mean, it's the same guy's body, which is weird in itself, so I can't even figure out where the line is on that.

Chloe's back-and-forth is annoying, but when there's nothing to contribute otherwise I guess that's all that's left :P

Quote:
I am beginning to really like Rush's character development though, even though he can be a prick from time to time, its obvious that he is going to be the one doing the most ***-saving on the ship.

I like him. Yeah, he doesn't want to leave the ship, but he's not entirely inconsiderate of everyone else, either.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2009-11-07, 7:52 AM #9
rush is an evil genius. its so :awesome:
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2009-11-07, 7:56 AM #10
Originally posted by Onimusha:

Or IS HE? :ninja:

Don't forget, he's pretty much the reason everyone is stranded on Destiny (well you could blame it on Eli's big mouth giving Rush the answer to the ninth-chevron problem, but Rush at least had to have some sort of idea of what he was doing).

Plus Rush tried to take command in the first episode by claiming RDA put him in charge (that was pretty clearly a lie).

Some other things he's said are more clear now, such as that Destiny doesn't have enough power to dial Earth (apart from the method tried in the current episode, which is still unknown... hence Young ordering Eli's investigation).

But yeah, while Rush is *possibly* or *occasionally* untrustworthy, it seems Telford is at least consistent.

The next episode should be good since it involves TIME TRAVEL, which in Science Fiction is an instant formula to SUCCESS AMIRITE :awesome:

Oh yeah I don't care for the non-on-the-ship-moving-the-plot-forward bits. My dad was becoming more and more doubtful of SGU with each episode. This episode he got up and left in the middle and didn't come back. He missed the gate sparking though :awesome:.

RDA should have backed up Young from the start. :( It's not like RDA to let the IOA push him around. But then again I guess we wouldn't have an episode if he did.

2009-11-07, 8:08 AM #11
Originally posted by Emon:
It looks like Talford's gonna try to **** Young's wife?

Definitely.
2009-11-07, 8:47 AM #12
I haven't seen the episode yet (will later), but so far, the sequence of episodes seems to go soap opera, action/adventure, soap opera, action/adventure, etc.

I don't really like the soap episodes. I liked Stargate for the escapism. I'll probably watch the rest of the season, but if I quit today, I wouldn't feel I was missing much.

RDA is fat because he hasn't been working out (and the surgery). When he was on the show week after week, he had to work out A LOT to keep from being a fatty (he says as much in some behind-the-scenes stuff). Now that he doesn't work every week, he probably doesn't work out at all.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2009-11-07, 9:43 AM #13
Foot surgery sucks. My friends dad had to have it, and he was quite buff. All that muscle turned to fat and caused a whole shipload of other problems for him.
-Martyn
2009-11-07, 10:54 AM #14
Originally posted by The Mega-ZZTer:
The next episode should be good since it involves TIME TRAVEL, which in Science Fiction is an instant formula to SUCCESS AMIRITE :awesome:

:gonk:

:suicide:
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2009-11-07, 11:04 AM #15
The show's been good so far, but the new episode was terrible. Exactly what I feared it would be like when I first heard about it.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2009-11-07, 1:42 PM #16
I haven't seen much of Stargate apart from the film and some of the first couple series of SG-1, but I'm tempted to catch up with this just for Robert Carlyle.
nope.
2009-11-07, 6:54 PM #17
Telford is going to ruin Young's love life obviously by pretending to be Young using a stone, for revenge on how he ****ed him over in the briefing.
2009-11-07, 7:34 PM #18
Originally posted by Couchman:
Telford is going to ruin Young's love life obviously by pretending to be Young using a stone, for revenge on how he ****ed him over in the briefing.

That was my first thought, but I think its more likely Telford already has a deal with Young's wife.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2009-11-07, 7:34 PM #19
Originally posted by gbk:
:gonk:

:suicide:

Actually according to the GateWorld page on the next episode, the producers are really excited about it and think it's one of the better ones... :awesome:

2009-11-08, 2:29 AM #20
It started well and then has gone essentially nowhere. It's like BSG without the cylons. This show seems to have less direction than the ship.
2009-11-08, 6:28 AM #21
Yeah the lack of any sort of overarching plot is a bit annoying. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt though and stick with it.

2009-11-08, 7:07 AM #22
I'm waiting for them to solve all their initial problems, set up a actual base and explore gates and meet new aliens and races.
The Gas Station
2009-11-15, 12:55 PM #23
The last episode was utter and complete bollux.
That exact plot was done by SG1 and SGA, except far better.
2009-11-15, 1:07 PM #24
I really liked it.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2009-11-15, 1:30 PM #25
I liked the past episode. The cliffhanger has me actually looking forward to next week's episode.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2009-11-15, 1:39 PM #26
Is it a cliffhanger, or maybe we're just assuming it worked?
2009-11-15, 1:51 PM #27
I thought we were just supposed to assume it worked.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2009-11-15, 1:56 PM #28
I don't know if they're going to at least give it a nod or not in the next ep.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2009-11-15, 2:06 PM #29
Yea, I'm assuming it worked, but they just ended that way because they already did the same plot.
2009-11-15, 2:27 PM #30
Originally posted by Grant:
I'm waiting for them to solve all their initial problems, set up a actual base and explore gates and meet new aliens and races.

Ain't gonna happen. At least setting up a base. They'll explore gates and aliens and races from the ship.

Oh, btw, I gave up on the show. :-P
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2009-11-15, 2:43 PM #31
So how many versions of the stargate are the Ancients going to make?
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2009-11-15, 2:43 PM #32
Originally posted by Detty:
I thought we were just supposed to assume it worked.

That's a horrible way to end the story.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2009-11-15, 2:46 PM #33
If you saw 2010 (The SG1 episode) then you would know that yeah, that's exactly it.
2009-11-15, 3:42 PM #34
Originally posted by Wolfy:
I liked the past episode. The cliffhanger has me actually looking forward to next week's episode.

Originally posted by Wolfy:
That's a horrible way to end the story.

Yup, I had a similar reaction.

They did do a followup on the "webisodes" they're doing, though.

2009-11-15, 5:21 PM #35
That's a fine way to end the story. What would the conclusion have been? Exactly what they told us was going to happen? Boring.
2009-11-15, 5:22 PM #36
Yeah, I'm with JM on that.

Also, Eli is annoying.
2009-11-15, 11:11 PM #37
I liked Eli at first, but I honestly had to fast forward through his "I love you girl who doesn't know I exist" speech and I never do that. The blonde wasn't crying because it was sad, she was crying because it was more painful to listen to that dross than be on the planet with alien thingies bursting out of her chest.

That aside, if you could tolerate the fact that the same story has been done before on SG and ST (which I can since I have a memory span that barely goes back to the start of this post), it was an entertaining episode.
2009-11-16, 12:45 AM #38
Am I the only person who liked this episode?

I don't think I've seen the previous SG-1 or SG:A episodes of time travel unfortunately.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2009-11-16, 1:57 AM #39
Originally posted by Veger:

I don't think I've seen the previous SG-1 or SG:A episodes of time travel unfortunately.

Theres a few.
-Martyn
2009-11-16, 7:17 AM #40
Originally posted by Veger:

2010 was a damn good episode.
The reason I really don't like this one, is it seems to me that the writers broke my trust.
When she died, I actually thought it was for real, because unlike the SG1/SGA Time Travel episodes I had no reason to think not. Having them then turn around and basicly say "It was all a dream, Ta-Da!" was dumb.

↑ Up to the top!