Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Stargate Universe (RDA is fat)
Stargate Universe (RDA is fat)
2009-11-16, 7:20 AM #41
You can pretty obviously tell, in any show, when main characters start dying suddenly that it isn't real.

Also, that entire bit was filmed through the keno's perspective, which should have hinted something.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-11-16, 7:45 AM #42
I'm getting kinda annoyed by this Keno view.
Like it worked good for this episode, but it's being used a bit too much imo.
2009-11-16, 7:55 AM #43
The point of the Kino view is to make the viewer more involved (IE you're actually watching things through the Kino). Also it fits with the Kino webisodes, which are entirely viewed through a Kino.

2009-11-16, 8:34 AM #44
The Webisodes are actually pretty funny, I've enjoyed them.

I just don't like the Keno view in the episodes. It's pretty much 'Eli spying on people' content. It's unnecessary.
2009-11-16, 11:38 AM #45
Honestly, I kinda picked up from the 30-second spot the week before that the girl didn't die. I still liked it.

I just like the concept of watching a documentary of a previous timeline.

I mean, let me put it this way. The episode wasn't original, but it put a good twist on a concept that's been done before, and you couldn't see where it was going, and it kept you interested until the end. I thought it was much better than the episode before with the "Try to get everyone back to earth" / universe stones plot of the previous week. Those tend to bored me alot more. I'm more interested in the journey of the people stuck in space.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2009-11-16, 7:23 PM #46
Originally posted by Veger:
Honestly, I kinda picked up from the 30-second spot the week before that the girl didn't die. I still liked it.

I just like the concept of watching a documentary of a previous timeline.

I mean, let me put it this way. The episode wasn't original, but it put a good twist on a concept that's been done before, and you couldn't see where it was going, and it kept you interested until the end. I thought it was much better than the episode before with the "Try to get everyone back to earth" / universe stones plot of the previous week. Those tend to bored me alot more. I'm more interested in the journey of the people stuck in space.

Guess what we're getting next week! More "universe stones"
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2009-11-16, 7:34 PM #47
Yes, but I'm hoping that Col. Young will Kick Talford's @$$, so hopefully it will be worth it.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2009-11-17, 4:10 AM #48
i keep missing this show. only seen 3 episodes so far, due to the fact that:
a) i cant be arsed to walk to my mates house to watch it when he downloads it
b) i cant be arsed to download it myself cos i hate torrenting
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2009-11-17, 8:55 PM #49
If you're in the US they should be on Hulu.

Otherwise ask your mate to make copies on a thumb drive or DVD or something.

2009-11-21, 9:28 AM #50
I'm starting to dislike the overuse of the touchstones. I hope they come up with some plot device to disable or limit their use soon. It really detracts from the whole isolated/alone vibe when they can virtually return home instantaneously anytime they want to say 'Hi' or consult an expert.

I liked how in SG:Atlantis they pretty much went the entire first season without being able to communicate at all with Earth.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2009-11-21, 9:37 AM #51
im still waiting for things to start happening, they've got the character development down now they just need an event to get the action started up. NEED MORE ALIENS
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2009-11-21, 9:39 AM #52
Originally posted by EAH_TRISCUIT:
I'm starting to dislike the overuse of the touchstones. I hope they come up with some plot device to disable or limit their use soon. It really detracts from the whole isolated/alone vibe when they can virtually return home instantaneously anytime they want to say 'Hi' or consult an expert.

I liked how in SG:Atlantis they pretty much went the entire first season without being able to communicate at all with Earth.

Then 3 seasons later we had ships that could total the entire wraith fleet if it came to it, the build up was great.
2009-11-21, 10:56 AM #53
Originally posted by EAH_TRISCUIT:

I'm kinda hoping that the "residual memory" issue gets a lot worse. Almost serves them right with the whole body-snatching thing. There's a *lot* of things that can go wrong with this.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2009-11-21, 11:00 AM #54
I don't have an issue with the body swapping, but I am amused by the idea of the residual memory thing being an issue. As long as it's not BS drama, but if it causes some **** to go down, hell yea.
2009-11-21, 11:59 AM #55
I prefer the NO ALIENS thing. Keeps it different. Also I right enjoyed the last ep. Maybe it helps not to have seen other eps of SG1 etc...
2009-11-21, 1:38 PM #56
Besides having a stargate on the ship and some previous technologies (touchstones) I am really failing to see how this is part of the Stargate franchise. I'm finding this series to be quite boring. I literally have to force myself to watch it.

If I wanted to watch a soap opera, I'd watch the soap channel, not sci-fi.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-11-21, 1:44 PM #57
Originally posted by Darkjedibob:
I'm kinda hoping that the "residual memory" issue gets a lot worse. Almost serves them right with the whole body-snatching thing. There's a *lot* of things that can go wrong with this.

I assumed that happened because they left their stones on the terminal. See: http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Citizen_Joe which is the first episode to mention the stones (later episodes in Season 9 would introduce the communication terminal concept).

Originally posted by Martyn:
I prefer the NO ALIENS thing. Keeps it different. Also I right enjoyed the last ep. Maybe it helps not to have seen other eps of SG1 etc...

Oh there will be aliens. There's a video clip on stargate.mgm.com that talks about the final scene in Air and it's indicated that eventually the crew will run into the aliens that sent the pod seen in that scene.

Originally posted by Onimusha:
Besides having a stargate on the ship and some previous technologies (touchstones) I am really failing to see how this is part of the Stargate franchise. I'm finding this series to be quite boring. I literally have to force myself to watch it.

If I wanted to watch a soap opera, I'd watch the soap channel, not sci-fi.

My dad stopped watching it a couple episodes ago. I agree it needs more Stargate ACTION STUFF. I'm gonna give it the benefit of the doubt and watch the rest of the season. Besides I hear some interesting rumors about the season finale (and the mid-season finale next week sounds promising as well).

2009-11-21, 2:50 PM #58
I must be the only one who's actually enjoying it.
2009-11-21, 4:49 PM #59
So after next week it's a wait until January?

Wow. They're even pulling off the BSG 1 season = 3 years.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2009-11-21, 5:08 PM #60
Originally posted by JM:
I must be the only one who's actually enjoying it.

It's not that I'm not enjoying it, I just think it hasn't reached where it needs to be yet.
$do || ! $do ; try
2009-11-21, 5:22 PM #61
Originally posted by dalf:
So after next week it's a wait until January?

Wow. They're even pulling off the BSG 1 season = 3 years.

They've been doing this (mid-season finales) ever since I started watching Stargate, and I assume every other show does it too. I didn't think it was news.

2009-11-21, 8:19 PM #62
That was absolutely terrible.
The characters are developed to a level of complete insansity, including ones I don't give to ****s about, and nothing ever happens.
What the hell happened to the good ol' fun of Stargate?
2009-11-21, 8:56 PM #63
It's not stargate's fault you're shallow.
2009-11-21, 9:00 PM #64
Half the show is exploring side characters.
I like character development, really I do, but this has gone to the point of insanity.
Do I need know about the ugly chair that that girls wife has? And why would she have access to top secret information?
2009-11-22, 12:16 AM #65
How many times can they push the "ratings" button?

Chloe strips at least twice. Lesbianism. Shower scene...two of them.
2009-11-22, 12:25 AM #66
I'm pretty sure she was having full on sex to "cope".
2009-11-22, 12:34 AM #67
Originally posted by JM:
It's not stargate's fault you're shallow.

Its not being shallow, its expecting certain qualities to something when a name is attached to it.

Stargate SG1/Atlantis = Lots of action, fun missions, dry humor, plenty of aliens, explosions, intensity.

SGU = General Hospital on a spaceship.

You wouldn't eat marshmellows that taste like beets right? Why call something Stargate that clearly, is not. Tibby is 100% correct in saying that the Stargate name is synonymous with action and "good ol' fun".

Don't insult people for having a certain level of expentancy of a franchise that has delivered for oh, I don't know, 12 years now? :rolleyes:
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-11-22, 3:09 AM #68
It's clearly a reboot exploring different directions. If you don't like it, don't watch it.

*shrug*
2009-11-22, 9:06 AM #69
Originally posted by dalf:
How many times can they push the "ratings" button?

Chloe strips at least twice. Lesbianism. Shower scene...two of them.

That wasn't Chloe.
$do || ! $do ; try
2009-11-22, 1:38 PM #70
Quote:
Don't insult people for having a certain level of expentancy of a franchise that has delivered for oh, I don't know, 12 years now?

No, actually, my argument is that Tibs is incapable of understanding character development at any level beyond the campy stereotypes the first season of SG1 had. He will never be able to appreciate SGU, not because he expects 'good ole fun', but because everything else is beyond his grasp.

And as a counter example : I also expected the 'stargate formula', and yet I still enjoy the show immensely. It's better for going away from it.
2009-11-22, 1:41 PM #71
I understand all the development. I just don't like it.
Let's insult eachother about opinions!
2009-11-22, 2:20 PM #72
Originally posted by Tibby:
Half the show is exploring side characters.
I like character development, really I do, but this has gone to the point of insanity.
Do I need know about the ugly chair that that girls wife has? And why would she have access to top secret information?

There's nothing wrong with character development, but all the characters in SGU are boring cliches. No one has a sense of humor. Just a bunch of generic people with mediocre acting skills that take the show too seriously.
2009-11-22, 2:23 PM #73
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
There's nothing wrong with character development, but all the characters in SGU are boring cliches. No one has a sense of humor. Just a bunch of generic people with mediocre acting skills that take the show too seriously.

Robert Carlisle disagrees with you there.
2009-11-22, 4:53 PM #74
Female soldier " Big **** " yet another reason to keep watching >.>
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2009-11-22, 5:00 PM #75
Originally posted by Martyn:
Robert Carlisle disagrees with you there.

Ok, he is an interesting character, but no where near good enough to redeem the show.
2009-11-22, 10:17 PM #76
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
all the characters are boring cliches

*isn't talking about SG1/SGA*

:downswords:
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2009-11-22, 10:21 PM #77
Those chicles weren't boring, and they were heavily lampshaded and played around with.
This time they are playing it straight.
2009-11-23, 3:27 AM #78
Once more for those that aren't listening:

IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT: DON'T WATCH IT.

And then once you've stopped watching it you'll stop feeling the need to complain about it.
2009-11-23, 5:06 AM #79
Unlikely.
2009-11-23, 5:11 AM #80
Indeed. In other news, I do support SOME aliens, but I am enjoying the scarcity of them. It's like they took Voyager and made it ... sensible (relatively speaking). I mean what's the point strading a trained(ish) crew on a ship they fully understand, which represents the very best that Star Fleet have to offer, limitless food and water .... etc etc.

At least this is more "**** guys, what do we do to scrape by?"

↑ Up to the top!