Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Why have computers become so hard to shut off?
Why have computers become so hard to shut off?
2009-11-15, 7:44 PM #1
Think about, Alt-F4 is locked out by most games, windows takes like 3 minutes to shut down, and even the off button on most computers needs to be help for a couple of seconds.

What really bugs me is the Alt-F4 issue, why is it that alot of newer games lock the command out? It used to be the definitive "I need you shut down NOW" key, but now everything just ignore it and it bugs me to no end.

:rant:
2009-11-15, 7:50 PM #2
Er... cant you just open task manager and kill the game? Also why does it have to be so instantaneous?
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2009-11-15, 7:53 PM #3
IMPATIENCE RAWR
2009-11-15, 7:56 PM #4
Because that requires C+A+D, then hoping that the taskmanager actually works and isn't overtaken by the game.
Seriously, sometimes the game will stop me and force it to switch back.
2009-11-15, 7:58 PM #5
It's not just computers -- everything on earth now seems to have "soft" power keys which don't actually cut power but rather trigger the software to eventually cut power when it gets around to it -- tvs, dvd players, cell phones, etc.
2009-11-15, 7:58 PM #6
Originally posted by Tibby:
Because that requires C+A+D,

oh god so much effort what was i thinking.

Quote:
then hoping that the taskmanager actually works and isn't overtaken by the game.
Seriously, sometimes the game will stop me and force it to switch back.

Heres an idea: Hit escape, then quit the game.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2009-11-15, 8:08 PM #7
There's an easy solution to this problem: yank the cord.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2009-11-15, 8:09 PM #8
Windows literally takes like less than 10 seconds to fully power off for me.

And w/ games I have never had an issue with being able to alt-tab or ctrl+alt+del out (usually the former).

And the power button requiring 5 seconds is by design, it's so stupid people don't press it and improperly shut down the machine but the hard reset is still there if your computer freezes.
一个大西瓜
2009-11-15, 8:11 PM #9
Tibby is trying to hide Leisure Suit Larry from his mom
DO NOT WANT.
2009-11-15, 8:15 PM #10
Think about, Alt-F4 is locked out by most games

Disagree, almost all games I play are alt-f4able.
Including the very latest I've gotten, being Borderlands and Batman.

windows takes like 3 minutes to shut down

Mine takes about 20 seconds to go from me pushing the shut down button to the computer being off.

By the way, if windows "waiting for program to respond" annoys you, I use a bypass for that:
Make a shortcut to C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe
Add the arguments: -s -t 00
(this is for windows 7, I -think- xp uses the same)
and voila! you have a shutdown button that kills all programs almost immediately.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2009-11-15, 8:15 PM #11
lmao
2009-11-15, 8:34 PM #12
Speaking of crappy computer performance...

Is there any shortcut to go directly to Task Manager?

It takes me a lot longer to get to Task Manager in Win7 going from Cntrl Alt Del > Task Manager. I wish there was a way to just directly open the window. (im sure there is but I just dont know it)
2009-11-15, 9:07 PM #13
ctrl-alt-esc in vista/7
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2009-11-15, 9:07 PM #14
ctrl-shift-esc
2009-11-15, 9:13 PM #15
Originally posted by NoESC:
ctrl-alt-esc in vista/7

And 2k, and XP, and I think it opened something equivalent in 98/95 as well.

:eng101:

Also, like Connection said, it's ctrl+shift+esc.

When I play any game with a console, like TF2, I always quit by hitting the console key and typing quit.
2009-11-15, 9:17 PM #16
Originally posted by Deadman:
By the way, if windows "waiting for program to respond" annoys you, I use a bypass for that:
and voila! you have a shutdown button that kills all programs almost immediately.

Actually that's the same thing that Start -> Shutdown does... haha.

If you add an -f to that it'll be faster, but it will force programs to quit and not give them time to shut down properly which can cause data loss.

The reason why some games block Alt+F4 is probably because games treat the keyboard differently from other apps... you can rebind keys at will. So if someone who doesn't know about Alt+F4 binds a different function to each and tries to use them both at once... welll...

Anyways games that allow you to bind Alt SHOULD block the standard keys since otherwise Alt is near useless as a bindable key anyway (tapping it brings up the menu if the game has one, Alt+Space opens the system menu, Alt+Tab task switches out, etc).

All of these will minimize the game if it's full screen, too. Windowed mode is not as much of a problem, since minimizing causes Windows to swap the game's memory out to disk since it thinks you want to put it aside for awhile, while task switching when it's just a window won't do that.

Weird... C+A+Esc seems to do the same thing as Alt+Esc, which is task switch, but a different kind from Alt+Tab (it instantly switches and provides no feedback other than the change in active window). Yeah I know the shortcut for Task Manager is C+S+Esc, I just wanted to see if C+A+Esc did anything... and it does... :o

Originally posted by Squirrel King:
Speaking of crappy computer performance...

Is there any shortcut to go directly to Task Manager?

It takes me a lot longer to get to Task Manager in Win7 going from Cntrl Alt Del > Task Manager. I wish there was a way to just directly open the window. (im sure there is but I just dont know it)

You can also right click on the taskbar and click "Task Manager", or Win+R > taskmgr, or make a shortcut to taskmgr.exe.

2009-11-15, 9:57 PM #17
Originally posted by Deadman:
Disagree, almost all games I play are alt-f4able.
Including the very latest I've gotten, being Borderlands and Batman.

Mine takes about 20 seconds to go from me pushing the shut down button to the computer being off.

Oh god yes, thanks for this.
I hate having to babysit the computer when I try and power off, 3 times now I have left and come back with the stupid ****ing thing asking if I want to close X program.
2009-11-15, 9:58 PM #18
If those 3 minutes of your time are really that valuable, maybe you shouldn't be playing video games and you should be doing those other important things
2009-11-15, 10:01 PM #19
Oh, shutdown.exe doesn't show the dialogs, so I guess it's not EXACTLY the same. Still similar.

2009-11-15, 10:30 PM #20
Originally posted by The Mega-ZZTer:
Actually that's the same thing that Start -> Shutdown does... haha.

If you add an -f to that it'll be faster, but it will force programs to quit and not give them time to shut down properly which can cause data loss.

Um, no that already forces programs to quit without giving them time... or maybe it gives them a couple of seconds, but still doesn't require input from me, which is fine =p
The point is for it to shut down without me having to do anything else.
2009-11-15, 10:33 PM #21

Because you're impatient? :downs:
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2009-11-15, 10:46 PM #22
Quote:

Just to annoy you, Tibby.
2009-11-15, 10:53 PM #23
I kinda see what Tibby is saying here.

I've been playing Fallout 3 and it repeatedly freezes on me for some reason and unlike every other game on the planet I can't alt-tab out of it, c-a-d doesn't work, alt f4 doesn't work... etc... I have to cold restart. It's annoying.
>>untie shoes
2009-11-15, 11:00 PM #24
Oh god yes, thanks for this.
I hate having to babysit the computer when I try and power off, 3 times now I have left and come back with the stupid ****ing thing asking if I want to close X program.

Dude, why don't you just close all your programs before you shutdown? That way you don't have to wait to make sure it actually does end up shutting down.
2009-11-15, 11:08 PM #25
Originally posted by Antony:
I kinda see what Tibby is saying here.

I've been playing Fallout 3 and it repeatedly freezes on me for some reason and unlike every other game on the planet I can't alt-tab out of it, c-a-d doesn't work, alt f4 doesn't work... etc... I have to cold restart. It's annoying.

Theres some kind of mod out there that shortcuts ctrl-k to killing it immediately.

Originally posted by Xzero:
Dude, why don't you just close all your programs before you shutdown? That way you don't have to wait to make sure it actually does end up shutting down.

Cuz it's not always that simple, some programs run in the background and are forgotten about and -still- demand to be closed the right way. Besides, it's much easier if you have a little shutdown exe that kills everything for you ;)
2009-11-15, 11:44 PM #26
The kill-at-shutdown function in 7 is pretty rapid ... half the time it kills all my programs before I can hit cancel because I realized I wanted to save some Firefox tabs or whatever.
一个大西瓜
2009-11-16, 2:41 AM #27
pfffft, i shut down my laptop the fastest way imaginable, take out the power cord and pop out the battery for a moment

>.>
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2009-11-16, 3:07 AM #28
Originally posted by Pommy:
The kill-at-shutdown function in 7 is pretty rapid ... half the time it kills all my programs before I can hit cancel because I realized I wanted to save some Firefox tabs or whatever.

Hell, a number of times I accidentally leaned on my power button and it goes HOLY **** WINDOWS IS SHUTTING DOWN and I can't cancel quickly enough.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2009-11-16, 4:12 AM #29
If you really need to shut down in a hurry, how is it so hard to press and hold the power button for a couple of seconds?
Stuff
2009-11-16, 6:57 AM #30
What I really hate is when games have cutscenes, and my 'sound louder', 'sound softer' etc. keys cancel the cutscenes... WRAWR!
2009-11-16, 8:49 AM #31
With some reservations due to good points brought up in this thread, I agree with Tibby. There's one thing that has never let me down when not having the time to tend to my PC to make sure it shuts down, and that's the almighty CUT POWER switch on the back. Only problem with that is, like ZZ brought up, the potential loss of data. Holding down the power button doesn't work on my computer, I wonder if such a feature is integral to a PSU, or to a motherboard?
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2009-11-16, 9:22 AM #32
Originally posted by Krokodile:
Holding down the power button doesn't work on my computer, I wonder if such a feature is integral to a PSU, or to a motherboard?

It's in the BIOS of the motherboard usually.
2009-11-16, 10:15 AM #33
Yeah, there's options for how your power button works in BIOS. Some even have the option to make it turn off immediately without holding it.
2009-11-16, 12:43 PM #34
I think the reason games take longer to quit now than they did a few years ago is because more games are written in C++, so there's a lot more busywork when the stack unwinds.
2009-11-16, 1:33 PM #35
yeah, that giant stack size... what is it in a default MSVC++ program again, 1 MB?

I think it's because there are a lot of vertex buffers/index buffers and textures loaded, and when DirectX (most games are in DirectX anyway) or most AAA games quit, threads need to wait for eachother...
2009-11-16, 1:59 PM #36
Originally posted by need help:
yeah, that giant stack size... what is it in a default MSVC++ program again, 1 MB?

:carl:

Unwinding the stack itself is not slow. It's the operations that occur during unwinding that cause it to be slow. Such as memory deallocation.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-11-16, 3:11 PM #37
And recompressing the textures -- usually when games start they decompress everything, so it takes a while to put it back the way it was.
2009-11-16, 3:46 PM #38
Lollers.
2009-11-16, 4:28 PM #39
Originally posted by need help:
What I really hate is when games have cutscenes, and my 'sound louder', 'sound softer' etc. keys cancel the cutscenes... WRAWR!

I've never encountered such a thing
2009-11-16, 4:30 PM #40
I hate sound softer and sound louder keys anyway -- I'd much rather have a fooking dial on the side of my laptop or on the front of my speakers than some extra stupid keys that only work if you can manage to find the right drivers in the hellhole that is every manufacturer's web site nowadays.

But I'm not bitter.

↑ Up to the top!