Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Why have computers become so hard to shut off?
Why have computers become so hard to shut off?
2009-11-16, 4:34 PM #41
Well, software keys can be integrated into the system's mixer and are much more flexible. A hardware knob can at best be a digital control through the sound card, which would require specialized hardware. Also it wouldn't work if you had an external USB sound card, etc.

Also you shouldn't need special drivers. Not on Windows or OS X anyway, but maybe on Linux. Even then, any decent distribution should have them working out of the box. Even on Arch linux I didn't need anything but the latest kernel to make all the Fn keys work on my netbook.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-11-16, 4:36 PM #42
Are you on drugs? The sound up/down keys on the macbook won't work at all w/out special drivers. Same with the ones on my old notebook (which wasn't a mac).
2009-11-16, 5:44 PM #43
Originally posted by need help:
yeah, that giant stack size... what is it in a default MSVC++ program again, 1 MB?
Yes, 1 MB.

Originally posted by Emon:
:carl:

Unwinding the stack itself is not slow. It's the operations that occur during unwinding that cause it to be slow. Such as memory deallocation.
Among other things.

Totally anecdotal, but when I switched a part of my code from using C strings to Boost paths it caused a 10 second halt when the application exits. The compiler optimizes away all of the destructor calls for release mode though.
2009-11-16, 6:16 PM #44
Originally posted by Brian:
Are you on drugs? The sound up/down keys on the macbook won't work at all w/out special drivers. Same with the ones on my old notebook (which wasn't a mac).

To be fair, Macs and Linux have NEVER gotten along well. Driver support in them is sketchy at best.

My other laptops have had no such issues, at least for the basic keys like volume.
2009-11-16, 6:24 PM #45
Are you on drugs? The sound up/down keys on the macbook won't work at all w/out special drivers.

With OS X or with Windows/Linux? I don't think it's very reasonable to expect Mac keys to work correctly outside of OS X...
2009-11-16, 8:05 PM #46
I hate sound softer and sound louder keys anyway -- I'd much rather have a fooking dial on the side of my laptop or on the front of my speakers than some extra stupid keys that only work if you can manage to find the right drivers in the hellhole that is every manufacturer's web site nowadays.

But I'm not bitter.

Eh, with windows nowadays they pretty much all just work, no drivers needed ;)
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2009-11-16, 8:08 PM #47
That's just a load of crap.
2009-11-16, 8:12 PM #48
It's really not, I've never had to deal with keyboard drivers to get volume buttons working, volume buttons are standard nowadays, have been for ages
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2009-11-16, 8:37 PM #49
Always has worked for me out of the box.
2009-11-16, 8:41 PM #50
The buttons on my fiancee's hp don't work. The driver draws over the desktop. It locks up the video card. How the **** does this sort of **** get out of QC?
2009-11-16, 8:51 PM #51
Originally posted by JM:
How the **** does this sort of **** get out of QC?

Originally posted by JM:
hp

Found your problem. :ninja:
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2009-11-16, 9:13 PM #52
Yet another Massassian post-turned-argument.
2009-11-16, 9:40 PM #53
hey, actually, for a thread started by tibby, this has gone really well.
2009-11-16, 10:12 PM #54
Originally posted by Deadman:
It's really not, I've never had to deal with keyboard drivers to get volume buttons working, volume buttons are standard nowadays, have been for ages

Yep, same here. Anything post XP should have support for basic multimedia keys built in.
2009-11-16, 10:39 PM #55
I hate sound softer and sound louder keys anyway -- I'd much rather have a fooking dial on the side of my laptop or on the front of my speakers than some extra stupid keys that only work if you can manage to find the right drivers in the hellhole that is every manufacturer's web site nowadays.

But I'm not bitter.

I am.

Especially when I have to use the buttons IN CONJUNCTION with the windows volume control to get the full range of volume out of my laptop.
2009-11-17, 5:38 AM #56
My volume keys only tie into WinAmp now, I've got a large speaker dial that's much nicer than the little knobs on my previous set.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2009-11-17, 7:17 AM #57
Originally posted by Admiral Zarn:
Found your problem. :ninja:

Well, considering they're one of the top manufacturers of PCs and they sell, I don't know, zillions perhaps instead of everyone insisting that volume keys "always" work on anything "modern" perhaps they should just admit that even though they haven't personally run into the problem, it is, indeed, a problem.

We have a brand new HP at home as well. The speakers are built into the monitor, so the monitor has volume controls, the keyboard has volume controls (which don't work, even with the drivers), and of course, there are the standard windows volume controls + the stupid HP version of them.

The old days were better -- a knob on the speakers.
2009-11-17, 7:50 AM #58
The issue isn't OS support. The issue is companies like HP try to get fancy and provide all this stupid visual UI crap that no one needs. Windows has had media key support built in for a while now, but those weird issues are caused by companies like HP NOT using media keys functionality, instead coming up with their own crappy stuff.

tl;dr: blame the computer manufacturer, not the OS.
2009-11-17, 7:58 AM #59
I blame you.
2009-11-17, 8:28 AM #60
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
The issue isn't OS support. The issue is companies like HP try to get fancy and provide all this stupid visual UI crap that no one needs.

+1
2009-11-17, 8:35 AM #61
I blame you.

Don't you have some Perl script to fix the problem yet?:neckbeard:
2009-11-17, 8:36 AM #62
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
The issue isn't OS support. The issue is companies like HP try to get fancy and provide all this stupid visual UI crap that no one needs. Windows has had media key support built in for a while now, but those weird issues are caused by companies like HP NOT using media keys functionality, instead coming up with their own crappy stuff.

tl;dr: blame the computer manufacturer, not the OS.

Yeah, my new Dell needs this stupid 'Dell Control Point' utility just so the ****ing volume buttons at the front work.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2009-11-17, 8:37 AM #63
Ironically, a couple of my laptops had BETTER control functionality before I installed the manufacturer's drivers.
2009-11-17, 10:34 PM #64
Hello,
When your computer is on the hard drive spins. It creates heat because it's working. the fan is suppose to call off the entire contents. Usually the Fan is pointing at just the processor on the mother board but some computers have multiple fans pointing in other places.
Why it gets so hot is because it is being used. It's on and when it's on the hard drive spins to get information and what not.
How to fix it. Get a new fan. Your fan in there might not be working or it might be going out. Fan's aren't expensive at all.
2009-11-17, 11:02 PM #65
what?
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2009-11-17, 11:07 PM #66
[http://cdn1.knowyourmeme.com/i/152/original/Lol_wut_pack.jpg]
DO NOT WANT.
2009-11-18, 6:09 AM #67
I can't decide if that's a bot or not :P
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2009-11-18, 7:18 AM #68
Originally posted by Darkjedibob:
I can't decide if that's a bot or not :P

THE SIG IS THE CLUE

↑ Up to the top!